Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Drake yes: Pretend covid is over
also Drake yes: Pretend the minimizers don't exist here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

bobtheconqueror posted:

So, help me out here. Can you help me understand how coming in here to relitigate old drama with the obvious implication that the whole thread is responsible not perpetuating an us vs them mentality? Is that the sort of thing that is bad and probatable or does that only apply one way?

nothing will change until the mods have their "are we the baddies?" moment, but we know that will never happen.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Covid here (Taylor's Version)

'Cause the fans are gonna breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe
And the maskers gonna seethe, seethe, seethe, seethe, seethe
Baby, I'm just gonna leave, leave, leave, leave, leave
Covid here, Covid here

The heartbeats gonna seize, seize, seize, seize, seize
And the noses gonna sneeze, sneeze, sneeze, sneeze, sneeze
Baby, I'm just gonna leave, leave, leave, leave, leave
Covid here, Covid here

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Tulip posted:

I still can't believe that there's a Dick Zoutman in this world. What a miracle we were blessed with.

Guess you haven't heard about Dick Assman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-JHw4YyLIM

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
mild ripple

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Some content:

I posted this back at the start of July:

Kragger99 posted:

My city has been bubbling around Delta peak levels all year since Omicron. We're about to have our huge 10 day international event here starting next weekend (Calgary Stampede), and it sounds like they've already sold more tickets than in 2019.

Lets see how how much of a spike we see by ~end of July. Yee Haw?

They changed the way they report the wastewater data in Aug, but here's how it ended up. The first spike is Jul 19th - right after Stampede ended on the 16th, setting the second highest visitor count ever (1,384,632):

:smith:

E: school starts today as well.

Kragger99 has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Aug 31, 2023

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Sad but true

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Maybe she's just a fridge doctor.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Lets take a peek and see if the Stampede event spike has subsid...

oh. we have staggered starts for schools here, the first start was last week of Aug. The spike at the end is Aug 31:

I have a bad feeling about this.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Old friend who I've complained about at length on here thinks he got COVID again last week. "I'm pretty sure I had it and spread it to my coworkers." No, he did not wear a mask at any point because he's "not concerned."

He then went on the offensive and told me I've probably had COVID and my precautions don't work and people just mask to feel morally superior. Ok!

He later further justified not masking by saying he had a more pressing medical concern - the pharmacy was a few hours late on his benzo prescription, so his throat was closing up and it was hard to breathe :rubby:

Gotta love when friends gaslight you :smith:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I’ve been wondering, since Covid can travel through your system through your blood, why can’t you catch Covid from a mosquito bite? is it to do with how it attaches to cells?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Must be nice having Paxlovid as an option. Up here in Canada we get to buy Vicks Vapo-rub.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head, I wanna drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles, it's a very, very
Mad world, mad world

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Crazyweasel posted:

re: Forgetfulness and related dumbness. ok here is the thing, I can guarantee to you I have never had COVID. I’m pretty healthy, i don’t drink/smoke/do drugs. Really no reason for my mental state to change other than getting older/kids.

The amount of typos, bad grammar, and clumsy copy/paste I make in work messages has blown up in the past year. I’m just way sloppier, and every time I catch it after the fact I think “what the hell, I was never this bad.” Memory is probably on par with before-times, maybe a bit worse. So, I do think a portion of getting dumber is just us all getting older en masse

I've been going through this as well. I think it's mostly because most of us in this thread are still hyper vigilant trying to protect ourselves/family while the rest of the world decided rolling the dice everyday was fine. The Human mind wasn't designed to be constantly thinking of disaster/disease, and it messes up your default thinking patterns. This is why I've suffered from double depression for decades now. I'm a very analytical thinker, usually planning for the worst. Yup, it's very tiring, and not good for mental health. When you think a certain way for long enough, it becomes the default pathway - more like a rut that a wagon can't get out of. Positive thinking can help with that, but I find it takes immense effort to change that (CBT is a good method - no, the good CBT.). That's why the "go touch grass" is important. Being in nature can have a beneficial effect on us. And positive thinking.

Sort of this. We're still partially mentally locked down (hyper vigilant) in a way if that makes any sense. Imagine a computer that is constantly running calculations. It's going to use op memory, potentially slowing down other processes. I wish I could explain it more eloquently but I can't because of the above.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

mdemone posted:

I'm going to eat some tree bark before getting the moth juice, it only stands to reason that it will help

Be careful that the covid positive deer don't lick/sneeze/rub against it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I'd like to host an open-house style party in December, but I also want to not die or create a super-spreader event.

I recognize that this may be fully impossible.

If there are open windows, Levoit or corsi cubes in every room, masks required (and Auras freely available at the door) and snacks outside only....

Is there a way to do this that is not completely brainless? I will graciously accept feedback such as, "no, you complete dumbass, have you learned nothing".

Paging thread good goon Steve Yun (he's hosted a few parties during covid, and should be able to provide some great input).

First, don't beat yourself up for wanting to have a party. This is the right place to be asking those questions, as we're all trying to navigate this hell world and avoid covid if possible. I'm missing that social aspect, but my immense fear of covid/weakening trust in people keeps me a hermit :smith:

I have no experience hosting a party during covid, but your plan above seems decent, assuming you're in a place with warm weather. One thing to consider - will the people there be open to masking/taking precautions? The one thing I hate about "living with covid" is you have to rely on others, and sadly the past ~10 years has really really lessened my faith in society. That will be one thing you can't fully control. Also, having wind can help you position people to reduce their risk of breathing others breaths. This is obviously hard to control, but it's a factor that might help lessen risk.

As an analyst, my brain automatically goes through possible scenarios that could happen, and I think what I'd do in those situations. Basically have a plan for things both within my control, and without. Yup, it's exhausting living like that right now, but it's how my brain works. Should be fun trying to move to the other side of the world next summer.

Anyway, hoping you get some good ideas here from other posters, and hoping everything works out for you.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Is the average time between exposure and symptoms still 2-5-ish days with the latest variants?

edit: VVV yeah, that's what I had in my mind from following this thread (and it's sources) recently, but wanted to confirm - thanks VVV

Kragger99 has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Oct 27, 2023

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

shazbot posted:

waiting for my surgery, my wife and I in n95s, no other masks. a nurse asks if we’re sick or if we are just wearing masks for some reason

“masks for some reason”

:confused:

like what were you gonna do if we said sick?

Man, I'd like to say to them "I'm just protecting myself from a serious airborne pathogen that's currently spreading. I'm surprised someone in your field doesn't understand how airborne transmission works". But they'd just immediately get angry at my "attack" because the desire to suck and gently caress and ignore severely outweighs their critical thought.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

They’d send you for a psych eval, and frankly, they’d have a point. You ought not to be surprised at their lack of understanding.

I disagree. Anyone working in a patient facing medical field should be masking right now.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

shazbot posted:

[Pestilence] NOBODY CARES

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
~I'm dreaming of a blithe Christmas
Not like the ones I used to know
Where the family won't distance
and masks cause resistance
To be gaslit, hmmm maybe I just won't go~

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Chamale posted:

We don't have the tools :(

I'm not sure whether it's possible to get Novavax here in Alberta, but I am eligible for the XBB.1.5 vaccine, so I should go for that on the principle of "the best vaccine is the one that you can actually get"

That's what I did. I was hoping Novavax would be approved, but it didn't seem like it was going to happen soon enough after the new batch of vaxxes (XBB.1.5) came out (mid Oct), so I stuck with Pfizer. I asked the pharmacist who gave me the shot if she'd heard of Novavax and she had no idea what I was talking about.

I'll be surprised if it gets approved here, and it it does, they'll probably only approve for 60+ people.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Yes! It's negative! I can go see Grandma now!

(not a dig at you - just what some dumbass would probably think seeing that, if they even bothered to test)

Good to know about letting it warm up no more than a day though.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So this'll peak in Jan.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
[Pestilence]: Ha! At least I don't have cooties!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

shazbot posted:

dude I can’t tell you how much I’m rooting for you

get well goon

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Pillowpants posted:

My step mother texts us on Saturday saying they have covid but its ok because they're on day 3 so they'll be fine for today....except she cant get Pax and is doing infusions of remdesiver....but my father decided to tell me on Monday he was not taking any meds at all....but they still wanted to come.

Whyare people trying to kill us?

Covidyceps mixed with cognitive dissonance unfortunately. I'm half-not joking. Before covid, it was mostly acceptable to miss a social event if you weren't feeling well. Now it's a loving mind crime to even suggest not going somewhere while visibly sick.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Petey posted:

i hope you are all well. i hope you are healthy. i love my covid thread friends and want only the best for all of you.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Survived surgery at least. it was triple bypass and I am currently heavily drugged. I am talking via avoice to text

You loving rock! So happy for you. :glomp:

E:

Old Swerdlow posted:

Their CAN99 mask is my favourite respirator to wear, it fits my face much better than aura’s.
https://shop.vitacore.ca/collections/frontpage/products/can99-9500
Same. It's my go to, and has protected me so far. Love it. Straps have never broke/separated from the mask, and they are quite reusable (I seldom wear one longer than 1-2 hours the odd day).

Kragger99 has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Nov 28, 2023

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

RandomBlue posted:

COVID had evolved to spread via the Internet.

:rip:

New Covid Simulator DLC incoming!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Caininemectin

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

:allears:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

shazbot posted:

+1 to the not dying in surgery club. not a boss like unfortunate getting the trippy-b but I’ m down a cancer ridden kidney. masking was bettter than expect, got a swank private room. stingy with the pain meds and taking a poo poo and/or farting are part of my discharge requirements

all in all 0/10 don’t get kidney cancer

I spell checked like half this post but can’t concentrate enough for the rest. peace

Pingui posted:

Congratulations on a successful surgery! Getting the big C sounds like a rough time.

Hope you make a speedy and full recovery :)
+1

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just finished watching this Netflix documentary on Dr Paolo Macchiarini..

I don't know. It bothered me a lot, and I'm writing this all down in an attempt to process.

Ooof. Ain't that the truth of this thread.

[Pestilence]: I'm writing this all down in an attempt to process

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Starting to think my 2 day visit with my parents, just before Xmas, them mask-less, me possibly being as well (for the first time, in front of anyone, since Mar 2020), might be ill-timed. They are 100% "back to normal". I asked them to isolate for 2 days before we arrive, or at least wear a *GOOD mask if the MUST go out. It's a bit more complicated than just the above, but this could be the last time I ever see them in person, and my last Xmas in my home country, so that weighs heavily on the decision. Not sure I can ask them to test when we arrive, so that's a bad start.

*this probably means expensive to them, so not sure even clarifying to them what it means will help

If I go mask-less, I'll be using my air purifiers in the common rooms, and our bed room at night. Also Iota Carrageenan nasal spray (who know if it works, but worth a try), frozen beet chunks, vit D, and maybe mouthwash. The last one will be new for me, but not an issue - I assume I just gargle with it? And need to make sure it contains CPC?

Anyway, the above is absolutely red-card violating the "Only Trust Your Respirator" code, so I know the end result odds. I have the latest Pf vax, but I'm in Canada, so no Pax for me. No kids, just wife, and a dog, which is also a new hole in my plan apparently...

If I decide to post through it, it might be this years sister in law saga :smith:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Moth Juice approved in Canada:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10149249/novavax-updated-covid-vaccine-health-canada-approval/?utm_source=site_banner

Nuvaxovid XBB.1.5 has been authorized for people ages 12 and older and is designed to protect against Omicron XBB.1.5 subvariants. It may be given to people who have been previously vaccinated or who have not previously had a shot, Health Canada said.

The updated vaccine stands apart from other COVID-19 shots, as it’s protein-based and does not use mRNA technology. These vaccines contain a modified version of the spike protein itself, unlike mRNA vaccines that have molecular manufacturing instructions for the body to make the spike protein.

Only one dose of the updated vaccine is needed for those Canadians who have already had their primary series, according to Health Canada. However, if you have previously not been vaccinated, you will need two doses of the primary series.

:canada:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Get pax if you poz for post-Pax pox, post haste!

[Pestilence]: Get pax if you poz for post-Pax pox, post haste!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
You've never made a pie chart out of 222%?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Insanite posted:

this is one of the seaweed sprays: https://betadine.ca/nasal-spray/

Yup, this is the one I use as well. No sting or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Pingui posted:

:canada: "AMA" in this case means "Alberta Medical Association".

One weird trick to never reaching prior hospitalization highs.

Pretty sure the gov't here in Alberta wants Health Care to struggle so they can privatize as much of it as possible (for their investors/bankrollers). Doctors and nurses are leaving in droves (why wouldn't they), so they might get their wish sooner than later.

Hmmm. Might be covid contributing to the full emerg depts in Edmonton.