Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If the backend offers little to no traceability, which is what it has sounded like, then anonymous av buys need to be shut down until a fix can be implemented, and such fix needs to be the top of the code pile because even allowing a pipeline of easy harassment for this long is honestly demoralizing. I don't think Jeff is a bad guy but I would much rather have redtexting shut down for however long it takes to make sure people don't get doxxed or trans folk don't get told to kill themselves.

This is what you would call a Critical Severity/Critical Priority issue for a website you own and would like to see thrive.

e:

ArfJason posted:

Jeffrey from my experiences isnt a bad or malicious dude but sometimes hes stubborn and does the disappearing act which is stupidly frustrating to deal with when poo poo goes sideways. But theres one thing that you all gotta know and its that this is something jeffrey wont be able to fix.

Not to say you aren't right but Boba's issue is only one of several that have come to the surface about anonymous av purchases and raising the barrier of entry around targetted harassment to "none at all" would still be a welcome change. A long-term goal might even be making it so all av purchases are tied to a forum account, AND someone with an account with less than [x] number of posts can only buy avatars for themselves.

Doing something is better than doing nothing.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I suspect anonymous harrassers would do burner accounts if it became tied to an account. So given some forums don't raise and even lower your post count, the next bar could be that av purchases can only be done with a Platinum account?

You know I was going to say "would posting in the pink forum really lower a post count so FYAD regulars couldn't buy changes if the threshold was 30 Posts" and then I remembered almost all of Radium's code is garbage so it almost certainly works like that.

The idea of burner accounts having to post [x] amount of times, where x is a non-trivial number, is it'll give Mods/Admins something to spot, and cut down the abuse cases to all but the most deranged. Buying Plat is just another money-gate, but having to interact with the forums and not immediately get launched into the sun seems like it would have the biggest effort on curbing the most amount of use cases, provided there's a workaround for negative postcounts. (Absolute value? Probably not supported but that'd be my first thought as someone who dabbles in computer-touching)

That's just my two cents as an ex-Community Manager, though. Take it or leave it.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 22, 2023

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Having someone - a volunteer, to be clear - have to manually approve every title change/request is psycho poo poo. If you don't think that will burn a mod/admin out literally immediately, you have literally not had to do any community legwork.

Disable anonymous av-buying until a solution is implemented, ideally that solution is "all avs can be traced back to a purchaser with a forum account so if someone doxxes someone or buys a transphobic av the admins can immediately ban them". On top of that, an additional hurdle than just "needs an account" to dissuade the usual insane rereg guys would be a nice-to-have but probably take further implementation.

This is probably the solution with the least amount of additional responsibility thrust on volunteer mods.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ah, yes, the reports queue, that thing that so notably works completely perfectly and isn't the most kludged-together load-bearing shitfest. Come on man.

Also this is not just about the tech solution; having to put mods, who are, again, volunteers, and have them have to yay or nae every title change - a bunch of those being transphobic, doxxing attempts, or other heinous poo poo - is going to open a huge can of worms - as Serv pointed out, it opens up the mods/admins to significantly more abuse, whether real or perceived and burn out whoever has to handle it.

A solution that does not gently caress up an already strained volunteer workforce more than it already is, is probably the better solution overall.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

TheMightyBoops posted:

You could do registered account with at least X posts and then if something was fishy there’s a chance they’d get sniffed out before that hit that post limit to buy avi changes.

Yeah this is how I would do it. You might need to figure out a loophole for negative post accounts for the FYAD regulars but beyond that, make it a number that's hard to acquire in one day without attracting some mod suspicion. Like 30-50 or whatever the old j4g standards used to be.

e: Like, to be clear, as stated, nothing is going to be foolproof but having two different types of gates (pay for an account that purchases are linked to, post enough that you get clear to buy avs for others) will deter all but the most insane people.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Lt. Danger posted:

probably should just take it one step at a time instead of devising complex labour-intensive processes or trying to pre-empt questions like "what if they make burner accounts" "what if they use a VPN" "what if they're direct employees of the NSA"

making av purchases require a login is a straightforward* first step. if it still continues then we can add further barriers. the goal is not perfect defence, it's enough swiss-cheese barriers to deter most harassers

This is the correct take. Don't build an entire new system until we have to because there are enough problems with the slur-ridden 20-year-old backend already.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I certainly didn't know that she reregged immediately. (I was a simple website coder and.....thinking about other things on 12/26/19) She got the same treatment as any other permabanned person - without any reason to look it up, she went under the radar. Given that I don't believe she actually built pipe bombs to blow things up with, when she did eventually admit to me she had reregged after clearly seeming to be in a much better place, I didn't just reflexively ban her.

I guess I was insufficiently jaded in the realities of how someone might misuse this site. I certainly wanted to believe that people who have mental health crises, even ones that are disastrous to their posting careers, can work on themselves and get themselves to a place where they can post again in the medium term. I am....no longer so optimistic after a few years of this and frankly that sucks. Clearly I made a bad call here, this mess was avoidable, but that's what it was.

This genuinely loving sucks. Both Boba's actions (which are just as reprehensible and unforgivable as SPHs, for the exact same reasons) and also because as someone who has done CM work I understand entirely the feeling of not being able to trust people can come back from bad mental health episodes that destroy their posting career. Its unfortunate but as the saying goes "when someone tells you who they really are, believe them."

Thank you for being candid about why Boba Pearl was around after the Methane Farm Bomb Threat Escapade. Thank you for taking your time to confirm the weirdness of the situation. Thank you for the policy going forward about Avatar buying.

I would like to humbly request, if you have no ETA, that anonymous av buys be temporarily disabled while that fix is being worked on, as it sounds like it is, because despite Boba Pearl abusing this scenario I still think that is an option the forum should exercise for the safety of its users.

Anyway, my only response to all the other poo poo that happened here is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6VjPM5CeWs

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ol yeller posted:

her name was SPR, but its cool that your autocorrect just outed your fetish lol

I genuinely cannot loving remember abbreviated poster names to save my life and did not know what that stood for until today.

I will just take the L of accidentally typing a sex thing with dignity. Farewell thread, see you in the goldmine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Half of Dracula posted:

Lmao poor monathin. The posting equivalent of getting hit by a car while crossing a street. But the cars a small dick

Honestly I'm mostly just bummed I lost my Dwarf Fortress gangtag as a result