Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mebh posted:

To celebrate the new thread the Christmas chocolate was already up in Asda yesterday.

My local Sainsbury's has mince pies in stock. It made me a little bit sad, but also made me woner "who is eating mince pies in August?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

escapegoat posted:

**Roast Dinner Veg Tier List**

God Tier
Sweet Potatoes, Parsnips, Swede, Red Cabbage

Putting sweet potato and swede anywhere near a roast dinner, honestly. I audibly tutted when I read your post, that’s how strongly I feel about it.

Putting carrots so low on the list suggests to me that you’ve never had lovely roasted carrots, I do mine with a bit of honey and rosemary, they’re great.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

smellmycheese posted:

Yorkshire puddings are a British invention and generally shunned , although I have won my wife round to them with my homemade ones.

The first person to publish a recipe for Yorkshire puddings was an English woman who eloped with an Irish man, so you're in good company.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Z the IVth posted:

6. Keep uncovered in fridge overnight and take out 1 hr before cooking.

This is the key step: I have done the Z the IVth method as well, and because I am a dweeb, I systematically removed individual steps that seemed like too much effort to understand which were absolutely critical and which ones made a smaller incremental improvement, and this is the number one that makes the biggest difference.

What I do is:

Score the skin with a very sharp knife, down to the fat, without going through it and into the meat (I like to cross hatch, but I also have a spiky thing that punches holes, and it works equally well, but doesn't allow you to snap off nice strips)
Salt the skin (not too heavily, but quite a bit of salt) and rub it in (absolutely no oil, that is the way to gently caress up crackling)
Leave uncovered in the fridge overnight
Start the cooking at the highest temperature your oven can manage and turn it down after 15m, turn it back up for the last 15m of cooking

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

One thing that has been bugging me since I heard about the ban on the Abaya: do French school children typically wear uniform? If not, is there anything to stop non-Muslims wearing an abaya to school?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Private Speech posted:

It's considered a religious symbol and all religious symbols are banned in schools in France (no uniforms though).

That's the justification anyway.

Yeah, but I’m not a Muslim, if I wear a nice long flowing dress that keeps me covered up, what’s the religious symbolism of that? It’s nonsensical to ban clothing on those grounds. I would understand if most children were wearing uniform and some were disobeying uniform rules to wear different clothing on religious grounds. I know it’s French institutional Islamophobia, but I just didn’t understand from any of the reporting whether it was uniform enforcement or simple intolerance

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jakabite posted:

oh no a Labrador came and sniffed me how will I survive

Counterpoint: I don’t want dogs to come over and sniff me and owners should be in control of their dogs. I am allowed to not want my personal space invaded by a big slobbery thing

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

smellmycheese posted:

So apparently the mega story that Channel 4 and The Times are going to drop tomorrow is basically Nonceaggeddon for the comedy industry

Fingers crossed this finally takes down Michael McIntyre

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Question IRL posted:

Edit: Having watched that video he has gone full "Scamdemic." Holy poo poo, not only has he gone full tinfoil hat, he stops mid video to talk about how he didn't kill himself. I think you doing a video on YouTube is plenty proof that you didn't kill yourself at some point.

I don’t understand how the idiots who support these lunatic conspiracy theorists explain away the fact that their rabid public figures aren’t dead. If they are really so powerfully exposing the secret cabal that controls everything, how come the secret cabal has left them alive to expose them?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Question IRL posted:

One of the best tweets I saw about why did it take so long for the accusations to come out is this one.

https://twitter.com/SiobhanMoore90/status/1703074687490605162?t=PRElOb1mmdj5_gYUTXuJUg&s=19

(Text for those who don't have Twitter.)

Síobhán Moore: just before anyone starts asking why women are only accusing russell brand now... last month a spanish footballer was assaulted on live tv in front of millions and there are still people defending the man in that instance. so that's why

That was and continues to be the stupidest macho poo poo imaginable. If he had instantly apologised and said he got caught up in the moment or something like that, people would probably have shaken their heads and thought he was a bit of a tit, but OK, whatever. Instead he thought he should fight back against it, because god forbid admitting you made a mistake and have learned to be better, that would be WEAK.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

fuctifino posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1703645416690983226

I love the way he pretends to not remember interviewing him. He comes across as being quite nervous

Trying to work out what four letter word he is referring to but won’t say. S**R? What is that?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tesseraction posted:

ninety nine train delays
baking in the summer heat

Panic bells, it's red alert
There's something here from somewhere else

Suella Braverman's imigration policy might acutally be based on Nena

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Fucks sake, I know it was leaked ahead of time, but I am really angry about rolling back sustainability initiatives in favour of courting gammons.

Is there a more indicative symptom of how loving poo poo everything is than Rishi Sunak deliberately abandoning policies specifically aimed at actually improving things to go after winning the votes of a socially illiterate bunch of boomer cunts who hate everyone and everything that doesn’t personally enrich them?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Diana was still a loving aristo scumbag, just because she spoke softly and died young doesn’t mean she wasn’t a terrible person who sponged off the people who actually had to work for a living

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Angrymog posted:

I was hoping for something a bit more exciting than people in t-shirts. They probably even paid for tour tickets.

If they’d done anything more exciting, they would have been arrested and detained for the crime exercising their right to express an opinion that doesn’t hurt anyone

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Microplastics posted:

Disease-carrying mosquitoes to plague London by mid-century, experts warn
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/mosquitoes-yellow-fever-dengue-zika-london-climate-change/
Yellow fever mosquitoes could call the capital home for up to four months a year by 2060

It’s not every day you find out how you’re going to die, but as the most bitten person in my family, it seems it’s my fate to save my wife and children from zika and yellow fever

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It’s the line “cosplay freedom fighter” that gets me. He is accusing someone else of cosplaying as a freedom fighter, implying that he is in fact the real deal.

What a self aggrandising prick.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sinky posted:

Rishi is going to make it illegal to not love the car.

x

Banning councils from making their area more convenient to live in :psyduck:

The one by-election where they scraped a win by being whiny little bitches about the ULEZ has completely gone to his head, this is just not the vote winner he thinks it is

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Its especially stupid because a great deal of population centres in the UK already are 15 minute cities.

I saw people protesting fifteen minutes cities when I was driving through Wallington the other day. Wallington!

For those of you not familiar with the suburban sprawl inside the M25, Wallington is nearly the dictionary definition of what a fifteen minute community would look like, it was a village, it’s been subsumed into Greater London, and literally the only thing you can’t get within fifteen minutes is a pint for under a fiver

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Your class is not in fact dependent on anything you do in your life, it’s what your parents did. You can’t change your own class, only that of your children.

It’s also not about owning property or capitalising off the labour of others, there are plenty of working class people who do that.

It’s all artificial and designed to keep people in their station, so we don’t rise up against our real enemy, aristocracy and royalty.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Woho, what a ZINGER! She really got them there, it's a shame the video cuts off before the absolute scenes, hilarious laughing tories all roaring at the spendid, criminal rights act indeed, how clever

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Apraxin posted:

having some trouble deciding whether to lol or scream
https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1709207218027934071

What the gently caress are they even talking about? What wokeness in science are they railing against?

Wait, do they just want to us genetics to justify racism and sexism?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My breakfast consists of a lovely cup of tea and nothing else. I sometimes follow it with a second lovely cup of tea, but only on a really quiet day.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1709840600537710936

It's frustrating when you watch journalists do their job properly, because you're reminded what a poo poo job they do most of the other times

It's just bizarre how much conservatives care about other people's genitalia. Genuinely, I don't think I care about anything as much as they care about making sure that they know exactly what you've got in your pants, so they can decide which societal box you should be in.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

fuctifino posted:

Nothing screams masculinity louder than sucking on a 9 inch cylindrical object, imo

I know this is completely trivial, but all three of them are holding their cigars wrong

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

fuctifino posted:

This video is really weird. That sudden on/off clapping at the beginning is just... strange...

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1710021966113992801

This is the fucker who has just struck down a massive long-term infrastructure project and reduced commitments to decarbonising transport. The brassneck of it, to claim that he is focusing on the long-term, what a dick

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think it’s a sign of how far my expectations have fallen that I am pleased she didn’t immediately say “yes, of course we need to do more for landlords, quite right, quite right, honest working class lads that they are, they deserve our sympathy”

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sebzilla posted:

So many weird pauses in her answer, is she being fed it through an earpiece?

“Barack Obama is a good orator, and he pauses a lot, maybe if I just insert random pauses in my speech, people will think I’m good too!”

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Microplastics posted:

Spotted this interesting floor plan while looking for properties.

It seems that to make use of the bidet, you must first shuffle yourself out of the toilet (assuming someone hasn't left the living room door slightly ajar and trapped you in there) and along the hallway, while your trousers are around your ankles, and then into the bathroom. And then after using the bidet, you get direct access to the garden where you can have a quiet sit and think about what you just did

Let’s hope no-one ever needs to go upstairs while someone is having a nice long bath

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Irrelevant and sensitive sounds like a really lovely double act

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I propose that noone is allowed to reduce this thread to some abstract Star Trek bullshit that I don't understand, so NJAN don't make it a big thing that you probably misinterpreted from some TV show

This is a good point: when discussing complex issues, allegories and storytelling can be very helpful, if and only if both parties have a common frame of reference. Otherwise one side will compare a situation to a story from their own literary tradition that the other has no access to, leaving them baffled and confused by “bullshit they don’t understand”

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mebh posted:

Keith, his eyes open.

Starmer, when the walls fell.

:hmmyes:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Zalakwe posted:

The replies to this are the worst thing in the world, full of open racism. Think I might need to take a break from the internet for a bit. Making me feel ill.

Why not just delete your Twitter account? Then you can't read the replies.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think in total I printed 3 bound copies, and only 2 of them were in colour

One of the ways I know that neither of my parents actually read my PhD thesis is that very few of the figures make any sense whatsoever in the grayscale versions that they have

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

crispix posted:

that's the shittest parental grievance i've ever heard

I’m not aggrieved, I just thought it was funny that they both insisted on a copy and assured me that they had definitely read it.

Particularly my dad, he works in the same field.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pistol_Pete posted:

Hummus recipe

It's easy! The hardest bit is cleaning the blender afterwards.

I know this is from a couple of pages ago and people have moved on, but cleaning your blender is very easy. You put water in it, and switch it on.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jakabite posted:

HELLO THREAD, RESIDENT GOOFY CHAP JAKABITE HERE WITH SOME GREAT NEWS

As some of you may know I’ve had a protest related case against me for about 4 years now and was due to go on trial in March next year, with a potential if convicted to be going to prison for a bit of time. It was a vindictively handled case obviously designed to intimidate.

AND ITS JUST BEEN DROPPED BY THE CPS

SUCK MY ARSEHOLE AND SWEATY BALLS YOU loving PIG CUNTS

WAHOOOOOOOOO

Time to sue for wrongful arrest and cash in!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Apraxin posted:

i think a part of it is that whatever they actually were and what they actually did in power, when in opposition the blairites did a good job of presenting themselves as a transformative, progressive force that would, well, make things better. a brighter world, full of new possibilities etc. in contrast, here's starmer and co.:

labour 1997: things can only get better

labour 2023: it is wrong to offer hope

What a bunch of unambitious wets. They could make some genuinely radical changes to the way we function as a country, but instead they prefer to pretend that capital can only be apportioned by the Tories, and that investing in infrastructure and people isn't a net gain. Cunts.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tesseraction posted:

Oh Scientastic I was rereading the old goldmine chili thread and still guffaw out loud at your primo shitposting in it.

Jesus, that thread is from before my kids were born, now I feel really old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Diet Crack posted:

Quelle surprise that landlords are enormous cunts and the majority of MPs are said cunts.

It’s absolutely bizarre reading the BBC comments on this story, the number of people who have deluded themselves into thinking landlords are “providing a service” is incredible.