Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I just found a haiku I wrote last year:

"The sun is shining
I'm supposed to be writing
Documentation"

It's not even sunny today so things have definitely gone downhill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

At a gig yesterday - Supersonic festival in Birmingham - one of the bands said “gently caress the tories”, but got a bigger cheer for “and gently caress Keir Starmer”

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

I dunno, papillons or chihuahuas or something else that's small and weak.

My clueless lap dog Pomeranian (see my av) still has a prey drive. And also tries to get all up in other dog’s faces because they’re bigger than her and she wants to scare them off.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

loving terrible news, sending best wishes to you and his family and friends. He always seemed so friendly and thoughtful.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

We need to reclaim pink, it being a girls colour in the west is so weird. Back in Punjab a pink turban and shirt is perfectly masculine, you can get straight-married in a completely pink outfit and noone will bat an eye.

That’s a fantastic outfit :eyepop: I love that pastel pink. In fact I painted my hallway that colour.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Microplastics posted:

I'm always unreasonably excited when the Antichrist club in London does a cyberpunk night

The cyberdreads get to make an appearance hell yes

You don’t have to wait for nights with that specific theme. You could wear them to any event!

E: I will actually be going to Antichrist this month. No idea what the theme is. Gonna wear mesh and fishnet regardless.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Monica Bellucci posted:

I could be wrong but as far as I know pink was THE manly colour for 100s of years, at least in Christendom, because of knights.

Short version, wearing armour requires layers and a lot of them at the start are cotton shirts and padding, unless you were a super duper rich knight and could afford a silk shirt to protect against arrows and other piercings. Blood splashes and gets everywhere (Just ask any modern surgeon) and battle is tremendously physically taxing. Thus your reddened cottons et al would be washed out by your sweat, rendering a more pink hue. This made pink the colour of "I murder folks professionally" and manly as hell and still has a holdout in business, cf, pink shirts.

Or it could be a disproven story like the colour progression of belts in most martial arts.

This doesn’t sound right, blood stains in fabric generally end up brown rather than pink (oxidation)

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

fuctifino posted:

He was constantly playing with his penis from the outside of his jeans. His hand was constantly rubbing his crotch area. Over time he faded the crotch of every pair of jeans white.

My first boyfriend proudly told me that his favourite jeans had a big (deliberate?) hole in the pocket, so he could secretly touch himself all the time

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Angepain posted:

He’s known this was coming for a long time and he’s spent recent years preparing this new anti-msm persona to prepare for it.

This seems rather generous to Brand, years of planning? I didn’t think he was the scheming type

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Mebh posted:

Thanks to the poster who pointed out covid jabs are now available.

Got both COVID and flu shots yesterday.

Now if only I could stop wanting to feel like I want to die as I lie here shivering, unable to move either of my arms.

:shepicide:

Far less bad than either the flu or any form of covid mind, which everyone seems to be coming down with at work again now the weather has turned.

Small consolation and random garden report , I have harvested all the chillies I planted now and there shall be much pickling and tasty curries.
The poblanos didn't grow big enough this year as I need a much bigger pot, but they're bloody tasty, and I made possibly the tastiest curry I've ever made by combining home grown padrons with a Madras to make a sort of Jalfrezidras. Do recommend!

Not too impressed with basket of fire chillies, pretty plant, high yield, underwhelming chilli. Padrons, Birdseye and Poblanos all totally worthwhile in the UK. Everything else died.

Also tried growing a few exotic herbs like perilla leaves , first 30 seedlings failed even in heated trays apart from two which a cat then ate.

Congrats on the vaccinations! I'm "not currently able to book an appointment" :(. My husband has covid right now, which has already upset my birthday celebrations last weekend, and will ruin his birthday celebrations this weekend. At least he doesn't have a severe case.

Congrats on your pretty chilli harvest too :3:

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

grobbo posted:

Does anyone have any alternative recs for good, in-depth arts & entertainment writing and essaywork that's regularly updating? It doesn't need to be high-falutin' / should ideally be less staid than the TLS, but I'd like it to be interesting.

My favourite blog, Asking the Wrong Questions. She writes about film, TV, and books, with some really great (and politically/morally sound) analysis. Updates semi-regularly. NB her reviews generally contain spoilers.

Her most recent post was a discussion of tech billionaires in sci-fi.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Is anyone from UKMT going to watch the Black Sabbath ballet in Brum? Opens today & runs until 21st October apparently. I believe Richard Thomas who was involved with Jerry Springer The Opera is involved

It sold out before I found out about it :(

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I started making fun of ULEZ crazies to my parents the other weekend, forgetting until halfway through that they believe in 15 min cities lockdown control nonsense also. Luckily they got distracted by seeing a squirrel

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Crystal Thenis posted:

you aren’t winning anybody over to the left boys

Yes, everyone on the internet is a “boy” :rolleyes: nice bit of sexism to add to the pile

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Jakabite posted:

What do you all eat for breakfast? I’m on bacon sarnies this week but it varies between that, cereal, pate and some sort of chutney on toast, and protein, banana and peanut butter smoothie. Variety is the spice of life and all. Im open to new ideas

Greek yogurt, low sugar granola and fruit. Or baked beans on toast. Or scrambled eggs on toast.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

OzyMandrill posted:

Ian Banks, my favourite is the Algebraist, and that's not a culture one. Its a bit heavy at the start too, takes a good 1/3rd before it really kicks off, but the least half is worth the buildup imo.

I reread The Algebraist recently! Love the Dwellers. A whole civilisation built on trolling each other and other species.

Revelation Space I remember mainly for the tension building throughout most of the book, proper page-turner.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

House of Suns is another interesting Reynolds work despite being softer than Revelation Space. The timescale goes literally off the charts.

Just bought for Kindle, thanks! I'll start on it once I've finished Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. I love McCarthy, his writing is so beautiful and evocative. But drat this book is hard-going. Unrelentingly grim and violent. Not good bedtime or mealtime reading!

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I still need to see the Henrietta Lacks statue in Bristol, which was installed as a direct reaction to the handwringing about the racism man statue that got removed by being chucked in the proper channel.

That’s cool, if a somewhat random choice for Bristol. No Black UK women to make a statue of? Still, one statue is better than no statues.

I worked with HeLa cells when I was a cell biologist. Those things are a mess. Poor her :(

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Oh I did mention I was playing it and another goon said it was the reason they adopted a Pomeranian. Yeah it's a really good game and Jowd's theme is a banger.

That was me. Still kinda regret not naming her Missile (she’s named Ace after the One Piece character instead). I really want to replay it now!

e: here she is in a box

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Maximum respect for Britain's first Asian rockstar and most powerful Bi.

Powerful yes, not that large.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Tigey posted:

I initially thought he was drawing on a paper map with a fountain pen.

It took me a good minute of staring directly at it to realise it was his skin.

And yeah I'd never get the LBJ cartoon reference

I have never got one of his references

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Congrats Jakabite :woop:

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh, that's what the 'Men die, beasts die' line is from. It also crops up in Helvegen which is absolutely spinechilling performed live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg0TQyjdHJ0

Worth reading the translated lyrics if you can find them.

I saw Wardruna perform this at Hellfest last year. It’s even more powerful while tripping. I finally got round to writing a will shortly afterwards so I wrote that Helvegen should be played at my funeral :). (Ideally alongside Type O Negative - Everything Dies but I didn’t add that bit)

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I just saw a profile on dating app Feeld which had no text, only one picture of a pin badge-style Princess Di in army uniform, holding a baby, with “free Palestine” underneath. It was magnificent and I wish I’d got a screenshot

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

First time my dog heard fireworks she was unfortunately off lead on Brighton beach. She legged it, running for her life as far as she was concerned. Me and equally unfit husband couldn’t keep up but luckily there were no roads to cross and some random strangers caught her. Second time she heard fireworks she tried to hide in a bin in the garden, shaking.

We gave her a lot of tinned tuna and she isn’t much bothered these days :toot:

E: 254 is a “lazy caterer number” :confused:

killerwhat fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 6, 2023

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Mebh posted:

Animal torture

Uhh, spoiler that maybe?!

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

I enjoyed the first few but then stopped after number five, huh... that was nine years ago. lol

Last one I read was the 9th book, The Labyrinth Index, 5 years ago. I appreciate that Stross significantly moved the story and setting along throughout the series, but unsurprisingly approaching cosmic horror makes things increasingly grimdark. Not so much my thing. I bounced off the spin-off series within a few pages.

E: looks like he didn’t know what to do with the main story line after The Labyrinth Index! The most recent 3 novels are the spin-off trilogy.

killerwhat fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 8, 2023

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I was on holiday recently and saw this artwork. It's called "Surprise with the Glare" by Takao Tsuchida. I think the face looks like Wes Streeting :eek:

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Wtaf
This is way more shocking than not knowing the price of bread or whatever. Freakish

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

The first tip to getting the good pain drugs is to be male.

My wife has endometriosis and basically got told to deal with it. I sought some physio for mild back pain and got sent away with 100 codeine. And no physio.

Being male isn’t a guarantee apparently. My brother recently had heart valve replacement surgery and was only given paracetamol for the first two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I told my GP that I'm drinking myself to sleep because none of the other medications worked and he prescribed me melatonin, which people can just buy in the US.

Iirc you can also buy melatonin off UK online chemists if you promise it’s definitely for narcolepsy.