Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Guavanaut posted:

No I think vendors realized that if there was no law against selling the small ones for small cream dispensers (as determined by court case) then there's no precedent against selling the large ones for commercial cream foamers, and so sold those instead, and people using them for whatever purpose then realized that that was a lot cheaper and more convenient than dozens of tiny ones.

Also more likely to injure or asphyxiate you if you do it completely wrong, and they're not allowed to include instructions other than "never inhale this ever or you'll die and go to super hell", so not the best win for harm reduction, but at least the litter problem got solved :toot: *chokes on party horn*

To be fair you'd have to be trying really hard to asphyxiate yourself with nitrous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

If you leave a leak long enough and do no maintenance, it probably could cause structural damage.
And given the budget for remedial work on public buildings...

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
No details of how he plans to improve anyone's lives, working or not.

I suppose there's 'grow the economy', with no mention of what that entails

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

fuctifino posted:

I don't think this meltdown has made it to the thread yet

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1698345449873424852

:allears:

Lmao
Thank you for this, brightened up my morning

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Ebola Dog posted:

I dislike the "hotter than Ibiza/other nominally hot place" comparisons because all they boil down to is UK currently hotter than somewhere else. It's meaningless, is it a sign of climate change or is it normal variation in weather patterns? Who cares? The UK (or at least parts of the UK) is hotter than somewhere else, amazing!

Good excuse for the sun to post the headline "phew, what a scorcher!" next to pictures of women sunbathing in the park on their lunchtime

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

sinky posted:

update your maps

Not in it, voted 1

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
If the prospect of interacting with a dog is a problem for you, then maybe just don't go to places where you're likely to encounter them.

Like, if you're gonna have a big freakout because a dog might run over and give your a sniff, then perhaps parks aren't for you

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Also if any dogs get walked on the pavement outside your house you should just never go outside.

Goon status: achieved

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
anyone comparing owning a dog to owning a gun is either disingenuous or a loving idiot.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Julio Cruz posted:

how about comparing dogs to travellers? seems like that’d be right up your street

Both can be in the park and you'll just have to deal with it

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
What if they had dogs?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Dogs are pretty good judges of character, so if you're constantly getting attacked out of the blue, maybe you just have bad vibes?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

my expression at this thread

Attach one end of the lead to each collar

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
On the whole farmers are probably a net positive.
Salute tractors as they drive past

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Microplastics posted:

You mean as I drive past them, right?

Get outta my way you tractor gently caress! :argh:

Ah, you're right there. Hadn't considered that one.

gently caress those guys
Lorry drivers doing slow elephant races on dual carriageways can eat poo poo too. Would rather my Amazon packages arrive late than deal with those dicks

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Aramoro posted:

Actually the opposite. gently caress farmers and gently caress farmland. The countryside as its sold to us is farmland, industrial land polluted and abused as much as a factory site. The only good we get out of farmers is when they're forced to do something and then they package it up and sell it back to us as a great thing they did.

Every time a town or village floods it's farmers to blame, often a singular oval office.

I quite like eating food, so I'm gonna have to disagree

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Aramoro posted:

Your love of food doesn't stop farmers being cunts. There's even a better way, you can produce more food more efficiently it's just that we choose not to. Right now 70% of the UK is agricultural land, and it produces about 60% of our domestic food usage. 40% of that land is used just to feed livestock. By reducing our dependancy on livestock we actually produce even more food for people.

Nationally forced veganism sounds pretty poo poo

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Aside from what a horrible thing this is to say, the last time a nailed on win labour leader died before they could win an election we ended up with blair so...

PM Streeting, here we go

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Dear Founts of All Knowledge ITT:

Any recommendations for a water-pipe-in-wall-detector under about £40? (It's ok if it does other detecting stuff too but we need it to do that!)

We sealed a leak in a cold water pipe in the corridor ceiling a couple of weeks ago and now there is 'fluffy stuff' - bubbly plaster and a clear water mark (not mould) - on some of the walls downstream of that pipe - on the wall outside & inside my flat :( - so I suspect that by fixing that leak, water is now finding another way out but everything is sealed in so would like to know if there are any pipes behind some of the corridor walls before getting a guy or guyess to drill holes randomly!

I've got one of these that I've used approximately twice.
Seemed to work, it definitely beeps where you shouldn't drill

https://amzn.eu/d/iceueQt

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
No good royals except for burger king and sofa king

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Heaven is a half pipe was good to be fair. Stick him on the list

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Guavanaut posted:

Also our King in Yellow from Northamptonshire.

He was already on the list

DreddyMatt posted:

No good royals except for burger king and sofa king

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Does anyone know how much hs2 track has been built yet?
Insane that we've spunked billions of pounds with nothing to show for it

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yes but doctors are melee DPS, cops use ranged burst DPS which is imba

E: this is probably my 82nd terrible snipe, here is dog on his birthday:

Dangerous bully type not on a lead in a public place. Bringing back the hits

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
If I were being stabbed to death, I would simply tut at the state of the world that led to this situation

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

fuctifino posted:

This is amazing. Laurence Fox is throwing Wootton under the bus

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1706972987642044714

:allears:

e: And just to reiterate the point I made in a post yesterday, the turnout for Cruella's speech was terrible, as shown by this photo looking at the crowd.

https://twitter.com/MarinaPurkiss/status/1706945030030557360/photo/1

Days like this I kinda miss my Twitter account.
Keep posting updates as they turn on each other

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

fuctifino posted:

My schadenfreude gland has been pumping all morning. Apparently no station seems willing to give Fox a live interview after last night. I wonder why? lmao

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1706991620543959195

My veins, etc

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Hell yes, thank you for this. Keep em coming

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

Al Jazeera were the only one not going on about it, their top story was the wedding in Iraq where they set off fireworks indoors and the building went on fire, leaving over 100 dead.

Makes a change from drone strikes causing 100 deaths at a wedding

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Can sometime time stamp the good bits? 15 mins is way too long

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Someone post a funny picture or tweet please

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Sure is a suprise that pm Corbyn isn't nailed on for re-election next year

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A wild Boris shambles up to the horizon

Funniest possible outcome

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

The middle class did a good job of that themselves, credit where it's due

What's middle class these days?
What's the cutoff between working class (bad), working class (good), and middle class?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Drone_Fragger posted:

Theres "working class" which is a cultural mindset. Ive seen business managers and gms describe themselves as working class despite owning like three houses and driving a Porsche because they grew up in a two bed terrace in Yorkshire ot whatever.

Theres then "working class" which is people in usually precarious employment on zero hours contracts who will be homeless if they miss more than two shifts.

So working class is being paid hourly rather than salary?
Or something else?
Honestly keen to hear how people define it

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Surprise T Rex posted:

Working class: sells labour to survive, actual value of pay is irrelevant. Premier league footballers and part time Tesco workers both fall into this category.

Upper class/capital class: survives on the labour of the above, through the power of Owning Things

Middle class: a mix of both - e.g middle manager who owns a few houses and rents a couple out.

So where would owning shares fall into this?
Like, you can be dependent on your wages/salary for survival, but you bought a few stocks with a bit of your wages. Now if you get dividend payouts you're middle class? What if your don't get dividends and instead just sell for a profit?

If you made money on GameStop, are you middle class?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

happyhippy posted:

Can't use shares as a measure these days.
In the 80s and 90s, sure.
But its too loving easy to get them these days, a phone app and a credit card.
And it depends on how many you got too. gently caress, I have 50 shares in my company at the moment, still cant afford a down payment on a house at age 46 here.

Now if you have enough shares to live of them solely, or be the majority of your income, you may be upper middle class.

So then, is it just the amount of property you own?
You can be working class with a mortgage, but if your get a BTL you're middle class?

Or if you're self employed you're working class, but if you get staff you're middle class?

Not trying to box people into a corner with facts and logic, just wanna know what you think

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Miftan posted:

imo it's hard to put a hard line of THIS is where you're no longer working class. There are people who have to work for a living - they are working class. There are people who make money simply by having money. Sometimes it's because they're BTL landlords, sometimes they're old money, or sometimes they worked for a bit and made so much money they retired at 30, like professional athletes, and now live off investments they made then. They are bourgeoisie.

You can move between classes, and "middle class" is just a way of saying you can't exist solely off your money, and still have to work, but you still have non-labour income. For example, you can be a BTL landlord and still need a job, because you've got your own mortgage which would probably make you "middle class". You can also outright own your house and have a BTL property that means you make enough money to not need to work. You can also own a company where you do no work, and simply steal the surplus value your employees create. The precariousness of your position within the bourgeoisie class is irrelevant to if you are in it or not.

Some people use "middle class" to mean 'makes over a certain amount of money' which is a bad way to look at it. An office worker, a lawyer, and a janitor have more in in common with each other than that the bloke round the pub who owns 4 BTL properties but had factory worker parents and only drinks Carling or w/e.

This is a good post.

So if I don't need to live off my own labour, and instead can support myself financially from the labour of others, either through property or investments, or a company I owned, I'd be upper class, but if I had some investments to supplement my income, but still had to work, I'd be middle class?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Jakabite posted:

I think it’s impossible to ignore that in the UK middle class and working class are also cultural phenomena with quite a large degree of separation from your actual current material circumstances.

Yeah, there's definitely this too. Like, I'd argue that maybe currently class is more divided along cultural norms than how you earn your money.

You can be wage dependent but only drink red wine and shop at Waitrose and that's more a signifier that you're middle class rather than an electrician with 2 vans and 4 employees that drinks Stella, and still considered working class.

See also posts like:

crispix posted:

did someone scrawl somethingawful.com on a loving flat roof pub toilet cubicle?

Flat roof pub (with at George's cross in the window) screams working class, but here that's coded 'bad', compared to other posts where middle being class is terrible.
It's a minefield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interesting definitions of working / middle class above.

I've always felt class was a lot about culture. Once you've been to university, say, you're middle class regardless of income and without getting any income other than by the sweat of your brow. Used to amuse me years ago in The Party when everyone played this "my grandparents were more working class than your parents" oneupmanship game. (Onedownmanship?)

Many working class people have a much higher income than many middle class people.

Where would you put what I've always considered the "impoverished intellectual" class - teachers vicars social workers academics librarians etc? Culturally middle class but on the whole pretty low paid (other than say the very upper tiers) and most definitely not owning a property portfolio.

Exactly.
If you need a degree for your job, teacher etc, then you're by default seen as both middle class on terms of culture, but working class in terms of income.

It's a strange situation. I suppose you can argue yourself up or down depending on the situation