Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Yay, the return of one of my favorite threads in SA.

Now that you mentioned it, it's kinda wild that Rivera is in the exact same situation he was in a few years ago. How many times has a HC had to deal with new ownership coming in, maybe once in a long career if they're lucky? Rivera's had to deal with it twice within a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

fsif posted:

Sure but he's 71 and his current team is looking pretty mediocre.

Yeah, and they're in a tough division this year. I don't think it's likely, but it's not impossible the Pats finish with six or less wins at the end of the season and you have to have a conversation about moving on.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

After both the Pats and Browns miss the playoffs this year the Browns trade yet more future picks away for Belichick.

They continue to be mediocre.

The funniest outcome

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Saints to San Antonio was the big threat before they won a Super Bowl. Texas seems like the most obvious candidate for a relocation.

Or London.

Yeah, Texas or London would also be my suggestions, and I wouldn't dismiss a wild card city like Toronto. Wasn't that a potential rumor for the Bills at one point before they became good again?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

Hard to disagree with Saleh getting a legitimate mulligan here

Ken Dorsey on the other hand… he’s falling on the sword for Buffalo but McDermott could be coming right after him

Yeah, a couple of more games like last night and you have to start considering how much longer McDermott has. Week 1, on the road, divisional rival, etc, but that was just embarrassing

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Benne posted:

It's wild how Herbert is having almost the exact same career arc as Fouts and Rivers

the Chargers are QB Purgatory

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Staley you idiot

Evergreen comment

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

Wilks is on Niners rehab now. He’s going to own a top 5 defense for the next two years and get another crack at a HC gig.

So just in time for when Tepper fires Reich, got it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Despera posted:

Tomlins seat gotta be at least warm

If they fire Canada Tomlin should be fine.

If he keeps doubling down on him for another season, then maybe. But even now I think Tomlin is pretty safe

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Panthers had what may have been one of the worst off seasons ever between the picks they gave up, the picks they didn’t take, and the coach they hired.

Looking forward to the future Secret Base video on it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

sure okay posted:

My dream is to see Jerry get so apoplectic that he takes over the HC job for himself.

Just one game, please :pray:

This would be extra funny if it happened right before Dallas played a McDaniels-coached Raiders team

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
If Bill gets canned, then does he become the big target for any teams with questions about their HC's future? You know that there's more than a few owners who'd want a chance at Bill getting back to form in a new environment

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Demeco’s been great and if Stroud keeps looking like this idk that anyone’s ever going to complain about Demeco as HC.

But my question is not “has a defensive HC hire been good?” it’s: Do any of you actually want your teams to hire a defensive HC?

I would have no issues with Steve Wilks coming back to Carolina, but my bar for "good" is getting low at this point

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Arthur Smith is bizarre because he's an effective OC but god the HC performance is so uneven. There were stretches last year where he was clearly getting more out of the offense than he should but this year its terrible.

How much of that was having a vet as starter in Mariotta? I feel things dropped off once he was gone, but '22 might as well be a decade away to me rn and I'm misremembering

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I think a good bit of Reich's job security is going to depend on how the next few weeks go. He's already given up play-calling duties going into the bye, and afterwards Carolina enters a stretch with some winnable games (Houston, Indy, @Chicago); they'll have two weeks to prepare for Houston, while Indy and Chicago are going to be out their starting QBs. If Carolina leaves Chicago 0-9 I think Reich's seat will be at least moderately warm, because it's really not going to look good losing to a Tyson Bagent-led Bears team when you still haven't gotten your first win yet

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Alaois posted:

Ben McAdoo is cursed by being named Ben McAdoo and looking like a Ben McAdoo

:hmmyes:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

this is a tim heidecker character evolution

lol gently caress

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s honestly funny people were going into the season expecting the Packers to be bad, because they were, and now are shocked they are bad

I think it's more that no one was expecting them to be this bad.

Like, they play Carolina on Christmas Eve and if things keep going the way they are, Carolina might be favored in that game

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Raiders doin the smart thing.

Who they hire will probably be dumb as hell anyway though.

Rivera's next landing spot.

Kirios posted:

Here on the ground floor to lol, lmao at McDaniels. I really didn't see him being the first victim, but it couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Go gently caress off back to the Belichick Cinematic Universe forever, thanks.

It's been a long time coming. Congrats Raiders fans, there's nothing like the feeling of your idiot HC getting the boot midseason. Rest of the season is gravy now.

So do the Pats snap him back up first thing in the morning?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Nervous posted:

This was my first thought as well. However, maybe it'd give her some more push for a 2028 Presidential run.

"I came in and SAVED the Raiders' season. If I could do that for them, imagine what I could do for our country!" *applause*

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Now I'm imaging the Pats signing McDaniels for a coordinator position this year only to trade Bill to Washington in the offseason and promoting McDaniels to HC and suddenly I can't stop giggling

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

He can shake his head all he wants, but he's responsible for every single bit of this shitshow.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
If the Raiders, Jets, or Broncos get in and the Bills don't, would McDermott be in serious trouble?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Benne posted:

Frank Reich, Carolina Panthers – I’m pretty infamously conservative with ranking first-year coaches, so if someone ends up on here, you know it’s going really bad. And it seems like nobody is happy with the Reich tenure in Carolina, including Reich himself. He gave a weird interview to the official team’s website suggesting that he could take back playcalling, when the spin all season was that he planned to give it up, which makes me wonder if that was the real plan anyway, and it doesn’t matter because this offense is loving pathetic and Bryce Young might be doomed. David Tepper can and will take the heat for being an impatient meddler, but this whole project may have been DOA from the start.

There's a meme going around that Reich's aged since the season began that I thought was exaggerated, but after watching a bit of the interview, he really is starting to look rough:

Not sure how much of it is just the lighting, a dye job fading, or what, but I can see where they got that from

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

It’s insane how involved not just the owner is but his partner too.

Maybe it's only because more attention is being drawn to it, but it seems like they're getting more involved the worse the team gets.

If Fitterer gets canned I wouldn't be shocked if one of the Teppers took over as GM

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

feller posted:

Answering “no comment” to “Are you giving up defensive playcalling duties?” Will probably not make anyone any happier imo but I find it hard to care about what coaches say in the first place so whatever

Can they even hide that information if they wanted to?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Im hoping we can fall rear end backwards into a situation that works because rn we're so hosed. So properly, badly hosed.

It'll be 3 years before we repair this poo poo if we detonated everything right now.

If we're lucky

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

10 points today. touchdown came on a 9 minute, 70 yard dink and dunk exhibition that needed three fourth down conversions in the third quarter.

Offensive minded coach Frank Reich

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Dead man walking

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

fartknocker posted:

There will be no Third Reich head coaching job

:golfclap:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kirios posted:

After Culley and Lovie Smith the Texans were still able to get DeMeco Ryans.

Head coaching spots, no matter how bad of a situation, are always coveted.

Yeah, there's only so many openings per year, and even if you flame out, you can always go back to being a coordinator or whatever it was you were doing beforehand. And if you don't want that, then there's always a college in need of a HC

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Ron Rivera is only 3 years removed from his last playoff appearance, has taken 1 team to the super bowl, and has a winning record over his career, though he could have a just barely losing one if he goes 0-5 to end the season. Given all of that I think he'd still be near the top of a lot of lists for head coach vacancies this off season assuming he gets fired and also doesn't retire.

Tbh I wouldn't put it past Tepper to bring him back in once Reich is gone and if he's available.

"Hey everyone, remember when the Panthers were good???"

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Q_res posted:

So Bears HC: Ron Rivera OC: Josh McDaniels

GM: Bill Belichick

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

:pathetic:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

I honestly can't decide which one is worse, but jfc do both need to go

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kirios posted:

I'm like 90% sure Tepper is the worst owner in the NFL. The Panthers are turbo hosed until he's gone.

He's easily top 5, which is pretty impressive considering that he's barely owned the team for that many years.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. The team has been godawful offensively in every facet, so I don't care too much about losing either of them.

I'm sure Duce will land on in feet in Detroit if he wants (despite it being lovely for the reasons he was with the Panthers in the first place), and McCown can follow his destiny and go do some poo poo down in Houston on that staff.

I think Duce will be fine as well

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
So Tepper really does have a chance to continue following in Irsay's footsteps:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-greg-olsen-has-interest-in-panthers-head-coaching-job

NBC Sports posted:

When the Colts fired Frank Reich last season, owner Jim Irsay replaced Reich with former player Jeff Saturday as the interim head coach. Saturday didn’t get the full-time job, but in Carolina, a former Panthers player apparently is interested in replacing Reich as the full-time coach.

Former Panthers tight end Greg Olsen, the top color analyst for Fox, would have interest in the Panthers’ vacancy if owner David Tepper approached him, The Athletic reports.

The move would be more stunning than Irsay’s decision to bring in Saturday as an interim head coach a year ago.

Olsen, like Saturday, has no coaching experience in college or the NFL.

He has coached his son’s Pop Warner team.

Olsen, 38, moved to the broadcast booth after his retirement in the spring of 2021 and worked his way up, but Tom Brady is expected to replace Olsen on Fox’s top NFL broadcast team.

The Panthers would face backlash over Olsen as the Colts did with Saturday and the Texans did in interviewing Josh McCown twice for their head coaching job. McCown was fired as the Panthers’ quarterbacks coach on Monday, which was his first coaching job in the NFL.

Olsen, whose father was a longtime high school coach in New Jersey, is a longshot even to get an interview, but the job is not a coveted one within the coaching ranks. The Panthers have had six head coaches in Tepper’s six seasons as owner, including three interim coaches.

Carolina is 30-63 with Tepper as owner, with only the Jets having a worse record in that time.

It's a nothing burger, but it would be very funny

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Was hoping this would be about using inhalants.

That's also entirely possible

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

On one hand I don't like him or the fact that my tax dollars go to pay his salary, so it'd be great to see him eat poo poo in the NFL.

On the other he'd probably end up in Carolina, so I'd have to root for that fucker's success. Bleh.

wazu posted:

I used to think so, but Dallas looks better this year, and the Chargers look the same at best.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I feel like his stock's gone down if anything

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Benne posted:

Oh so he's gonna hire Kellen after all the good candidates turn him down and then pretend that was his first choice all along

See, the head coach of a football team is like a point guard, and-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Peter King goes after Tepper today in FMIA

He's the king of NFL access journalism. If he's comfortable going after an owner that hard, gotta wonder what the rest of the league thinks of the Panthers owner.

Jerry Jones: man, even I think he's too hands on