Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Saleh is absolutely gone if the Jets miss the playoffs this year outside of like being 8-4 and Rodgers gets injured or something and they lose out. Any other case where they miss the playoffs means Rodgers is sucky or really broken, and at that point the Jets have no resources or money to go get another QB anyway, so leaving is just a mercy at that point.

Also, Belichick isn't getting fired c'mon. He might retire simply because there's never been a NFL coach who started a season over age 72 ever, but he ain't getting forced out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Turning 72 in a week.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

It’s a pretty rough division on paper though. It might not take much bad luck to get behind

Hell, they could be like 2-4 even if Rodgers is good out of the gate, plus they have a stinky early bye

Bills
@Cowboys
Patriots
Chiefs
@Broncos
Eagles
<bye>

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Everyone does. You say San Diego and literally nobody is confused about who you're referring to. There's 8 year olds out there who'll just bust out .... Super Chargers if you say San Diego.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Bills have the Raiders next week, so I presume they're gonna get healthy real quick

Also Saleh got handed a raw deal but... it's year 3, probably going into year 4 with no good plan at QB. Just cut him loose, he's done.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Are you saying that’s what the jets will do or what the jets should do?

I'm saying the odds of Saleh succeeding at this point are astronomically low.

Like say, the Jets end up where they were last year, 7-10 due to Zach Wilson sucking poo poo and they decide to keep him. He'll be going into year 4 hoping for a rehabbing Rodgers or <mystery box> on a team down a bunch of draft capital and huge cap problems unless Rodgers retires

Yes more teams should be the Steelers and weather the storm, but the odds of this working out are bad bad bad. Not Saleh's fault, but still should just go be a good coordinator for a few years and get a 2nd shot somewhere else.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's particularly funny because when the Bills needed a FG, they then did exactly that

Their last drive went

7 yard scramble
6 yard pass
15 yard pass
8 yard pass (OPI)
15 yard pass
10 yard pass (all the above short passes with some yac where applicable)
Then a deep incompletion to the endzone, then a short incompletion, then FG

Coulda just done that all game and mixed in more rushing and not turned the ball over 4 times, but lol.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They do have to get someone else in the building, Flacco, Wentz, Matt Ryan, somebody

It's not like you can run out Tim Boyle either.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Seems bad

https://twitter.com/OllieConnolly/status/1706086167064547746

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't know what Jay Cutler's up to, but who better?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Daniel Jones's supporting cast is really bad, and also Daniel Jones is really bad

I don't think any other team's fans are allowed to complain about their offensive lines. oh my god.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sono posted:

Who was the guy with the massive stacks of binders all over his desk?

Dave Gettleman

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Johnathan Kraft. Bob has no idea where he is.

He might not know which massage parlor he's at, but he definitely knows he's in one.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s going to be on the team but that doesn’t mean he’s going to be starting. They’re bad enough to be in the hunt for Williams or Maye.

I don't think he'll be on the team. His $37m 2025 salary becomes guaranteed if he is.

If Russ stinks enough to be benched, he's getting cut and the Broncos are just going to take a brutal dead cap hit next year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s honestly funny people were going into the season expecting the Packers to be bad, because they were, and now are shocked they are bad

People thought the Packers would be bad, then they started 2-1 and Packers fans were smugging it up about finding a new HoF franchise QB and then they ate poo poo and every non-Pack fan is indeed loving it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Patricia is on the Eagles as a defensive assistant and get this: They stink now.

There's no loving way Patricia or Judge are getting another Head coaching gig in the NFL.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Ok, but we all said the same thing about McDaniels.

I mean he came back and was a great OC again for a long time. We thought he wouldn't get another job after dicking the Colts over so hard, but we forgot that the NFL doesn't care about being a raging rear end in a top hat, they care about if you're good at a job you're not being hired for, and Patricia and Judge aren't, so they won't get hired again.

Whereas like 20+ teams should be trying to get Josh in the building as an Offensive coach right now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

lmao, this owns.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wandler20 posted:

Unless Bill takes him back he's gotta be done as a coach in the NFL.

I would love to have him back.

He's a good OC, AND there's no way he'll ever get a promotion again, so Bill can retire and there's 0 chance he gets the job. Make him OC for life.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

aperion posted:

lmao he had as much to do with the Patriots' success since 2000 as I did

He's an excellent offensive coordinator, just a complete toilet of a person

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Relentlessboredomm posted:

There’s some deep cosmic irony that making the playoffs and winning a game is the worst thing that could’ve happened to the team in the long term

On one hand, but multiple teams have won superbowls and gone lol no at extending the QB of that team. They just went full stupid. / owner interference as Febreeze suggests.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thing is, they can get out of the Daniel Jones contract after next year.

Next year is hosed, but after that it's like $22m in dead cap if they just cut bait in 2025. They could easily draft a guy, let him take over and send Jones on his way.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

When he showed up to the smart boy test black

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I want to see some championship team from the '30s play against an average modern high school team. The old guys could probably manhandle the teens on the line but they'd be absolutely discombobulated by "route running"

Depends on the high school I imagine. Guys with the athletic profile for the NFL are just built different. Here's Myles Garrett in High School:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BlindSite posted:

Eleven week Reich has a nice ring to it.

Out of the league in 80 days

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wandler20 posted:

Yep, coaches are egotistical enough to take the job. Plus Tepper would probably overpay if he needed to.

Don't think it's so much ego as... outside of Ben Johnson or Belichick looking to sail into retirement, who isn't one bad year away from falling out of contention for a gig?

If you're 57 year old Jim Schwartz and the Panthers come a calling are you not jumping at that gig?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Let's see... Washington has the Dolphins up next.

Have fun with that Jack.

Oh man, they end the season with two home games against the 49ers and Cowboys. What a way to go out.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Reich will go to a rehab OC job, look great for a few years, then get another shot.

He was terrible and flailed, but come on, he got handed a lemon and an awfully built roster. Who would survive with that offensive cast?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He recognizes his gameplans aren't working and tries something new. Not his fault the league isn't ready for it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

He needs to take a year or two off. Dude is burned the gently caress out.

Yeah, probably. But still pisses me off a bit. Dude got canned playing with someone else's roster with no talent on it, and they don't have their 1st next year, so can't even pretend to fix it with MHJ / a LT.

Should've kept Reich, given him the offseason to see if he can build an offense out of the bargain bin in free agency and then fired him in October if he still stunk.

Just put themselves in a terrible situation to get a good HC this offseason, Ben Johnson ain't taking that loving job.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Didn't the NFL say if Harbaugh got suspended or whatever, he'd have to serve it in the pros as well or something?

I haven't kept up with that, but a godawful scenario would absolutely be hiring Harbaugh, him being suspended, and going through a year of an interim coach then Harbaugh.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Derek Carr really, really hates getting hit, so I don't know how that'd go with what the Jets OL has looked like this year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean the defense is really good with all their best players injured, so yeah probably gonna get a job.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He did, Mayo is the official DC, but Steve's been the LB coach since 2020 and was the secondary / safeties coach before that, and those groups have generally played much higher then their talent level. He may bomb out without daddy around, but he'll definitely get another chance.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't know about that, just look at the Packers of the last like 4-5 years.

Always hyped as having all these excellent players up and down their defense, always mid as hell

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Inshallah

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

haljordan posted:

Who was the coach who knew he was going to get canned and refused to drive all the way into work for the meeting? I think he got fired over the phone. That guy is my hero.

Frank Reich last year by Irsay

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a more obvious example of the players giving up on a coach than last night's game.

Oh I don't know, look at that effort

https://twitter.com/Raiders/status/1735489220519813253

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean look at the Broncos, Texans, Rams and like the Colts. Not exactly like you need much beyond better coaching and a draft to unfuck a situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yep, inexplicably decent against the Dolphins (twice!) and unplayably awful in all other games.