Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think the cardinals have to keep Gannon just because of the Wilks lawsuit.

If they one and done ANOTHER head coach in a hopeless situation, lots of people are gonna be looking at them sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I know this is for coaches but if the panthers don’t lock up burns fitterer needs to be on the hot seat. Especially after he turned down two firsts for him last season.

I get the thought process behind the move at the time, but you’ve basically said he’s worth more than two first rounders. Now you get to pay him like that. They should have locked him up immediately after turning down the trade.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rogue0071 posted:

As far as mistakes in the QB room go I think drafting Wilson at 2 is a way bigger one than getting Rodgers and him popping his Achilles 4 snaps into the season.

They have to take a qb in that situation.

Only other options are Fields and design an offense around that, or they draft Mac Jones.

I guess in retrospect the best option (given how the team has developed) would be Jones

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 13, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bears should see what the jets would offer for fields.

They’re probably staring at two top ten picks next year and could go for Caleb.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

Fields is nearly as bad as Zach Wilson lol

You could probably whip up a quick ground and pound with fields’ skills et more easily than trying to zombie Rodgers offense onto Wilson.

Just spitballing here of course the jets needs to be offering a trade for dalton.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

They do have to get someone else in the building, Flacco, Wentz, Matt Ryan, somebody

It's not like you can run out Tim Boyle either.

P
J
Walker

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

really queer Christmas posted:

Payton had a lot of 7-9 seasons (in a row even) and dropped quite a few stinkers in nola. He's just got a great start and end in nola that covered up all that.

Granted, all his struggles in Denver really make me question why he wanted out of nola. Oh I don't want to deal with a rebuild of finding a hot qb again. Let's go to Denver where they are in need of a rebuild to find a hof qb.

Probably thought there was something with Wilson to salvage.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the way this team looks and is playing now, I agree with McMagic''s assessment. This team is getting worse every week and if the spiral hasn't already begun, it's about to. I don't see how they get more than 3-4 wins. Without Burns under contract. Without a first round pick. With massive regression in their first round left tackle from last year, and very poor early returns on their draft class this year. All their DBs need to be replaced (sorry Horn). They need at least one top flight WR, a RB who's not Miles Sanders, playcalling, etc. At the end of the season we're probably looking at the lowest point in team history.

Obviously Fitterer has to go, but who do you replace him with? Are you going to let Reich pick a GM who mortgages more future picks to draft a WR? Is Tepper going to hand pick another poo poo head?

Can argue that Tepper has been the worst owner in the league since he acquired the Panthers. I doubt he's going anywhere.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

adaz posted:

I mean Reich did go out and hire consensus one of the most experienced coaching staffs around, and unlike the last time he went into a situation where they were getting a quarterback in the 1st round of hte draft, not a revolving door of retreads. Based on his actions, it's pretty obvious he felt his tenure in indy was mainly because they could never establish a decent quarterback and then of course towards the end the roster - and especially the oline - just fell apart.

I am with you that trading away 2 of your best players in christian mcaffery and DJ moore didn't make a ton of sense. You know who would really help a young qb struggling? CMC and DJ Moore.

Obviously those two would be upgrades over what the panthers have now on offense. But they were also on the team for years of struggling QBs and didn't help them at all. And the Panthers offense vastly improved after Wilks took over and decided they were going to run the ball 40 times a game with Deonte Foreman. I'm really not that against the CMC trade and I think it was...not a terrible move.

The Moore trade is obviously the stupid one, moreso because he was on such a good contract as opposed to CMC. No idea why they didn't ship Burns out instead.

Know what would really be helpful? A good blocking tight end that can also catch. Too bad the Panthers passed on Darnell Washington to trade up for a 25 year old rookie who did nothing in college and hasn't seen game action yet.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the panthers turned down 2 first rounders for brian burns

goooooooooooooooood god

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Can we talk about GMs getting fired in here?

Because here’s the 25 year old rookie fitterer traded up for getting stood up by a couple linemen I’ve never heard of

https://twitter.com/keepblitzin/status/1712162476014358876?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Reich just turned over play calling to thomas brown, and if he turns this around dramatically enough I could see reich being pushed out one way or another so tepper doesn’t lose the shiny new toy.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Has a coach ever survived after giving up play calling duties?

Rivera would go back and forth on defensive play calling but that’s obviously a lot different than offense.

No idea why but I feel like Jim Fassel might have?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I haven’t been paying attention but how is Reich doing so poorly? Wasn’t he generally considered the top choice for a team this last offseason?

Reich was brought on as CEO coach who was going to bring in all the best up and coming coordinators and he would just oversee it. He did that, on paper.

But instead of leaning on them he's been calling plays and it's led to an offense that scores fewer points than the Panthers did in 1995 when Reich was QB.

He took an offensive line that was built for power running and switched them to a zone blocking scheme most of them can't perform. The receiving corp he built is slow, has bad technique, doesn't always seem to know what the play is, and their routes oftentimes resembles Brian_Schottenheimer.png. Thielen has come along, but on the CBS halftime show they "speculated" that he was starting to ad lib a little bit, and Bryce was learning that Adam knew how to get open. Any route that requires timing or precision is out the window as the Panthers don't have the WR personnel, the playcalling, or the offenive line to do it. And all of that doesn't even get in to how conservative and predictable Reich is as a playcaller. For example, prior to this week the Panthers had only run plays under center 30 times. 26 of those times, they ran the ball. He's done other things too that show he just doesn't have it anymore, if he ever did. The most notable example was callng a play specifically for Adam Thielen who was in the medical tent, then needing to burn a timeout.

It's been horrible.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

frank reich coaches like a 75 year old man with alzheimers

Not true. 75 year olds with Alzheimer's will occassionally get aggressive.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

But do you want Steve Wilks? I get the “sure fine, he’ll do” attitude but who do you actually want as a HC?

The Panthers probably need a boring few years of solid drafts, good coaching, not exciting football.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

So then, Panthers are hiring a new HC and you’re hooting and hollering for Steve Wilks? gently caress Ben Johnson, or any of these other younger offensive dudes, get me Steve Wilks. That’s you?

Ben Johnson already turned down the panthers OC position.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gotta think Sean leaving would probably be all she write for Russ.

I mean I guess he’ll bounce around for a while and probably end up on the panthers or browns or something but I don’t think we’re ever getting RWBS again

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Just wanna say McAdoo’s second half, post CMC offense last season was the best offense they’ve had since Watt effectively ended Cams career.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Kraft is a dumb stupid mother loving moron.

Belichick has the tape.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ron Rivera will sit in the studio for a couple years, do a bunch of USAA commercials, then come out of retirement to coach the broncos or something.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grata raiders fans. Dude is a loving hack. So does he go to back to New England or I dunno Tuscaloosa?

Shinji2015 posted:

Rivera's next landing spot

This is similar to when they hired del rio. Yeah he was a retread but he could put a staff together and just let things stabilize for a few years.

And hiring Rivera probably brings Del Rio back!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkzALAmawfY

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Thursday night is going to be a real mask off moment nationally for Bryce.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Stroud is better than Bryce and was better than Bryce in College. Fire all Carolina coaches and force Tepper to sell.

Assuming he never sells, he definitely needs to hire someone to do everything. He cannot have any input into any element of the team because he’s proven himself to be poo poo from a butt.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kirios posted:

If you'd like to see some fun reactions from goons during Draft Day on the first couple of picks feel free to take a ~short view back to the past~

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030775&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6

lollll he's so much better than the last 3 Bama QBs

Sigh.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Who is the next coach fired and why is it not Rivera?

https://x.com/sheena_marie3/status/1721970751807320504?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

:shitman:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Guess no one is getting fired today

https://x.com/josephperson/status/1723042874877452361?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

shyduck posted:

When would a firing have to occur by?

Carolina plays Dallas next week so it might happen soon.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Fire Harbaugh so he can switch places with his brother. All will be right with the world.

Jim harbaugh is gonna get a twenty million a year to come to Carolina, start off 7-0, then get fired for banning tepper from the post game locker room

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Please just fire Reich already. This is just sad.

It can get sadder

https://x.com/sheena_marie3/status/1724142549378412667?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

/glances at record

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

He's right, they have one A football game.

On a positive note they're on track for the first overall pick......of the second round.

Basically a late first, where all the good teams are drafting.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ayudo posted:

What would Carolina's record be if they were allowed 12 men on the field at all times?

defense has actually done well this year.

another lineman would just make it harder for Bryce to see the receivers.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

In Carolina, Brady never practiced red zone offense and didn't know how to use tight ends.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Someone please tell me how play calling works in Carolina, thanks

quote:

We had a call that we liked, but we also had talked about another call,” Reich said after the game. “And as we broke the huddle, we just together decided let’s go with this other call. Is it worth taking a timeout? And thought it was important enough because it’s third-and-10, that’s a tough conversion. But we’re at the 40-yard line. So if we get five yards, we’re in easy field goal range. Not easy, but we’re in legit field goal range.”

https://theathletic.com/5057587/2023/11/14/nfl-week-10-best-worst-coaching-decisions-nguyen/

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Please....free us.

https://x.com/JoshNorris/status/1724462258934239268?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I'm an idiot, what does "play out of 11 personnel" mean?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I do not understand from a logical standpoint not using motion on every play where you're not going tempo. You don't need to do a whole shift or anything, just a little motion to help the QB read the coverage. Line up in the wrong spot, get to the right spot and gain information. Maybe you line up in the wrong spot if they expect you to get to the right spot and don't do it and you get a free play of some sort.

If that anonymous quote about Bryce not actually being able to manage protections is true, then they might be thinking a.) it just complicates plays they're struggling to run anyway and b.) it's not like Bryce is going to do anything with it anyway.

Remember earlier in the year when they were letting him make adjustments and he could neither do it in time or check into anything successful?

Starting to fear Bryce is just a product of the system down at Alabama and the entire "cerebral point guard" bullshit was just a marketing campaign gin'd up by Alabama loyalists in the media. Certainly explains why an idiot like Tepper fell for it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

One of my neighbors is a washed up sports radio personality and told me a story about interviewing Howard Griffith, who played RB at Illinois but then a decade at FB in the pros. Griffith told him that playing FB was like 'running full speed headfirst into a garage wall 60 times a game' and that his memory was hosed up by it.

Howard Griffith literally got the Falcons to the Super Bowl in 1998. Dude was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fartknocker posted:

Huh? Griffith played for the Broncos against the Falcons in that Super Bowl…

Ack! confusing Griffith with Bob Christian. Griffith was also a former panthers FB that paved the way for a stud RB.