Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Schadenfreude
noun. /ˈʃɑːdnfrɔɪdə/ /ˈʃɑːdnfrɔɪdə/ [uncountable] (from German) ​a feeling of pleasure at the bad things that happen to other people.

Previous Thread

We all love the classics: rope swings, premature celebrations, cat chaos, Ow! My Balls, cooking fails, dash cams, children falling over, people acting like they’re on Jackass, etc. The general vibe is a slightly meaner, edgier AFV.

What we do NOT love is anything graphic resulting in death or near-death injury (unless you have an article that says something like, “Miraculously, she survived the collision with only minor injuries”), any kind of abuse to humans or animals, political stuff that leads to derails, or bloodlust. If you have any concerns that someone has posted content that breaks those guidelines, please report the post or message a mod.

A lot of people in the previous thread requested the scripts that automatically resize posts, so here they are:

Swilo posted:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           	video resizing and sound
// @namespace      	https://forums.somethingawful.com/
// @description    	loving giant vertical recording
// @include        	https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @grant          	GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle("video { max-height: 1000px; max-width: 1000px;} ");

window.addEventListener("load", function() {
	$("video").attr("controls", "controls");
}, false);

Takes No Damage posted:

This one also autopauses and sets the volume to 20%

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name    	Fix videos - somethingawful.com
// @namespace   Violentmonkey Scripts
// @match   	https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @version 	1.0
// @author  	-
// @description 2/27/2020, 11:56:31 PM
// ==/UserScript==

const fixVideos = setTimeout(function(){
  var videos = document.getElementsByTagName('video');
  for(var i = 0; i < videos.length; i++){
	videos[i].removeAttribute('loop');
	videos[i].controls = true;
	videos[i].pause();
	videos[i].currentTime = 0;
	videos[i].volume = 0.2;
	videos[i].muted = false;
  }
}, 500);

A note about Twitter embeds: currently, twitter.com links will embed correctly, x.com links will not. If there’s something that should be preserved for posterity, please rehost it.

:thanks:, have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Ragdoll physics.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

BlackIronHeart posted:

Looks like they wanted to fry up some dough in a particular shape. Like, you can make churros using a piping bag normally used for frosting but if the bag bursts you churron't.

I figured it was some kind of extra thin and crispy funnel cake thing.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Stop saying people deserve to be killed for being obnoxious on social media, ffs.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
In 1994, German publisher Heyne lost the rights to publish their translations of Terry Pratchett's work. Why? Because they inserted an ad for loving SOUP into the text. https://gmkeros.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/terry-pratchett-and-the-maggi-soup-adverts/

quote:

There were a number of reasons for switching to Goldmann, but a deeply personal one for me was the way Heyne (in Sourcery, I think, although it may have been in other books) inserted a soup advert in the text … a few black lines and then something like ‘Around about now our heroes must be pretty hungry and what better than a nourishing bowl’… etc, etc. My editor was pretty sick about it, but the company wouldn’t promise not to do it again, so that made it very easy to leave them. They did it to Iain Banks, too, and apparently at a con he tore out the offending page and ate it. Without croutons.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
PLEASE shut up about bikes.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
While ekuNNN was admittedly a big contributor to this thread and there are those who might take pleasure in his ban, this thread is not the place to argue it out.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

bossy lady posted:

Every time this happens I have to wonder how the hell people get away with this for so long considering how easy it is to discredit. Most of the time all someone would have had to do was talk to like one family member who would tell them "Nah, she's Italian as hell".

If you read the story, multiple family members did! Other people noticed, too. She ran into her (light haired) brother while with a PBS executive, and the PBS exec later contacted her brother to ask if they were full blood siblings.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

darkwasthenight posted:

A different mod, please!

yeah?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Hey gang, just a reminder that if you post a death in this thread, I will loving ban you!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

TACD posted:

Trying to stop our cat from getting in the habit of jumping on the kitchen counter, so we lined the edges with foil to give her an unpleasant surprise when she does it (cats hate foil, right?)

Just got home from doing shopping and the foil is messed up, partially eaten, and vomited out on the carpet 😔

My best friend sent me a video of her cat pulling the sticky anti-cat tape off the edges of their couch and chewing it up.

Maybe try that Ssscat compressed air thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cphGWOPi0k

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Photokeratitis is MAYBE a couple thousand dollars worth of treatment, and that's only if it turned into a corneal ulcer and needed an amniotic graft or something. Otherwise I'd guess it's just a few hundred dollars.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

CainFortea posted:

*Offer not valid in the US

That is actually the US cost without insurance (if you go to a clinic and not the ER)! I have been doing billing for corneal ophthalmology for a decade. Mild keratitis is like two office visits and some fancy artificial tears. It shouldn't financially ruin you.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Fobby posted:

Who in God's name wouldn't go to the ER in this situation? MYSTERY RADIATION WENT INTO THEIR EYES AND MADE THEM BLIND. TIME LOST IS EYES LOST.

It also just occurred to me that Ape Fest was in Hong Kong, so who knows what it costs for an uninsured American to go to the ER in Hong Kong.

edit: I also have a skewed perspective on when a person would want to go to the ER with eye issues.

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Nov 11, 2023

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
A NASA astronaut dropped a tool bag while working on the ISS and it will be visible with binoculars for the next couple months.

https://earthsky.org/human-world/orbital-oopsy-a-tool-bag-is-now-orbiting-earth/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My local McDonald's Play Place has the Hamburglar painted on the window and I highly doubt any of the kids have ever heard of him. I can't even remember the last time I saw any of the McDonald's characters except Ronald in anything until the Grimace's birthday thing this past summer.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
There's these shoes I like so much I have three pairs in different colors. Last night, I was out and about and looked down to see I was wearing one pink shoe and one silver shoe.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
please take turkey chat to GWS or the horrible food thread

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Do not post pictures/gifs of animals getting hurt.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Shut up about bicycles.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

FreudianSlippers posted:

What about unicycles?

shut the gently caress up, unicycle boy

sorry, I hosed that up. It's "eat a dick, unicycle boy".

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
user PKMN Trainer Red made it for me!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

FreudianSlippers posted:

I had a Ilizarov frame a couple times for non-lengthening reasons and there was some excruciating pain involved when those pins were tightened. I also still get infections in the scars left by the pins.

Wouldn't recommend even if you're very insecure about your height.

This procedure uses an internal femur nail, not an Ilizarov frame, so at least they don't have to deal with that.

Leg lengthening is cool procedure when medically necessary. This girl went from 3'10" with severely bowed legs to 4'11", and she also had her arms done and gained 4 inches there, too. She had to use Ilizarov frames (there are some pictures in the article). The internal nail sounds like it would be a great option for people like her. https://www.limblength.org/patient-stories/chandler/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Slugworth posted:

It's a shame, he was really looking forward to mucking that sewer.

Like that kid who was upset he was at the circus instead of the broccoli farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7yMZGA2lzg

He did get to go to a broccoli farm eventually, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hswdDZgcwHA

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
can y'all leave caspergers alone unless they are posting something else stupid (like "/b/tard") or otherwise making GBS threads up the thread

edit: mostly because I don't want to relitigate all this

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm pretty sure any schad involving Nazis or cops (but I repeat myself :haw: ) is pretty ethical and awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhV9UBmFmM&t=209s

pig vs pig

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I would drop dead of fright if that happened to me.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Karate Bastard posted:

Yes. Everyone is their avatar, this is known.

this is why I recently added my orange curtains (from a painting by Lois Dodd called "Night Window") that I had for like 10 years to my Stupid Newbie

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Can you animate them so they open and close randomly?

I used to have the Night Window with a pair of blinking glowing eyes outside in the dark. Captain Hygiene made it for me for Halloween, but it's vanished into the void now.

PKMN Trainer Red made my current one.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bald Stalin posted:

The EPA and researchers literally call it an inland sea and the US coastguard operates there

Herman Melville in Moby Dick posted:

those grand freshwater seas of ours,--Erie, and Ontario, and Huron, and Superior, and Michigan,--possess an ocean-like expansiveness, with many of the ocean's noblest traits...they know what shipwrecks are, for out of sight of land, however inland, they have drowned full many a midnight ship with all its shrieking crew.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Time to end the politics derail :thanks:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Please please shut up about the Folgers commercial.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
If someone can tell me how to access my tumblr posts from Dec 2014, I drew a diagram of how to make a simple moss terrarium that I will post. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Tenebrais posted:

You want to go do something like
https://xxxxxx.tumblr.com/archive/2014/12
Where "xxxxxx" is your blog name

This just reroutes to my most recent post from 2018. I think it might just be too old to access.

Edit: it was for SASS so I was able to find the picture my Santee took of it.

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Feb 24, 2024

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
About a year ago, football player Damar Hamlin's heart stopped after a routine tackle that hit him exactly the wrong way. He keeled over immediately like he was dead (luckily they were able to restart his heart and get him to the hospital and he recovered fully). It was obvious he wasn't going to be walking it off.

Here is the video, which is quite shocking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Z9Vd53yhI

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Soul Dentist posted:

Why would you post the video of the guy technically dying on field

he got better

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I'm confident that Stupid Newbie there in my avatar, who is a very laid back and cooperative cat, would win a fight with me if she truly went for it,

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Two things about this housing cost derail:

--it has resulted in exactly zero reports so good job everyone at having a relatively mature conversation

--it is now over

:thanks:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Sestze posted:

As a bit of Schad, if it wasn't posted already, the Crumbleys (parents of a mass shooter Ethan Crumbley) were both found guilty
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/crumbley-convictions-set-legal-precedent-parents-reach-shootings-rcna143571

Those two were absolutely hoping Ethan would kill himself, and they deserve more than they got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Well chosen music.