Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Surprisingly tough to pick a pony this time round. Austin has a funny bio where he talks about being inspired by Naruto, he relates to Owen from S43, and he would like to find love on the island, all of which seems like a package to a memorable crash.

Jake seems like the most likely to actually win, but rarely has that actually worked out in New Era Survivor. He does like Vanuatu Chris though so respect points for good taste. Plus he's from Boston so the accent's probably gonna make for a fun time anyway, though he doesn't seem the most dynamic from the video.

J. Maya seems decent all around, though those type of female contestants seem to usually get booted pre-merge or just fade into the background post-merge. Not sure on her yet, but she seems potentially fun.

Sifu likes Dragonball so it means he has to clash with Austin. I hope they remain in a bitter rivalry to the end.

I guess I'll go with

Pony: Sifu, because Jake feels like too easy of a pick and I'm not sure on J.
Poison: Hannah. Sean's a close second but anyone that compares themselves proudly to Kass I'm raising an eyebrow on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

looks like there's a lot of speculation on the reddit that she had/has a vape/nicotine addiction (and that they should start screening for this lol)

curious to read her exit interview

Exit interview is out and she did say she was vaping and using patches. Apparently the biggest thing that hit her was actually hunger.

Also apparently a member of the winning tribe (Kendra) was actually sent to camp after the challenge, interacted with the tribe and was able to cast a vote at Tribal... and they edited that all out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Leatherhead posted:

Assuming Brandon goes in the next couple episodes, I do feel for him. From his pre-game interviews, he was clearly so excited to be part of 'the community' and the 'survivor family', and now he'll probably go down as a joke. It's one thing to get your dream smashed, it's another thing for it to happen in front of everyone you wanted to succeed for. Something he loves is about to become very painful to think about.

Oddly enough, Hannah, by having the healthier attitude of 'gently caress this noise', elicits less sympathy. Hopefully it still goes without saying that fans shouldn't be trying to harass her in the real world about it.

I think it's possible to lean into it. Erik is infamous for his terrible mistake but has pretty much embraced it and makes fun of it himself. As long as you don't make Survivor your entire identity (unless you make a living from it, like Rob C), you can move on.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Apparently Hannah was still doing nicotine chews/patches the days before the season started (like, when they were being sequestered at Ponderosa) and hiding it from production.

Well, she really could not have made it worse for herself outside of stealing a cigarette and puffing it in front of them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

blue squares posted:

I think Lulu successfully added just two pieces to that puzzle. Wow. Why did Brandon get 100% of the blame when the truck driver woman was just as bad?

He wears glasses and is a nerd.

Also apparently he kept saying he's the puzzle guy and he's now failed three of them in a row.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I always thought the most common was pharmaceutical sales because they're everywhere and also really nobody cares about your job.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CODChimera posted:

he's definitely coming back right? there's gotta be some sort of gimmick they can use to squeeze him back in

I think if they're between the goobers of Brandon, Jacob Derwin or Daniel Strunk, they're probably more likely to bring back Strunk since he at least failed in a strategy sense and is less likely to die by day 6.

Brandon's funny behind the safety of a screen but you can say that about a lot of Survivor nerds, like Hannah or Gabby or (maybe) Cochran.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The wax candle idol is unintentional comedy because in most tribes it wouldn't be that hard to melt it down eventually, but they just happened to give it to a tribe that has a batting rate of 0-3 in challenges in an era where your flint is taken away from you if you lose.

I don't know if they stacked Yellow that way to have that bad a challenge rate and then give that tribe the wax idol, but gosh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The next fire making challenge will be done without flint. They get glasses instead and giant spotlights hanging over their heads.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Well if they were going to just vote off Emily 3-1, why would Sabiyah having a vote be important?

Honestly my guess is she just wanted her vote because they were not getting another source of fire anytime soon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

maybealabia posted:

Logically it still seems like it would be good for one tribal. In fact, rules as written, you could argue it doesn't expire even at 5 if you somehow hadn't been to tribal (though that's probably impossible)

Impossible but you could use Safety without Power to buy you through one tribal at least.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So of all places, Facebook may have accidentally leaked the configurations of the swap tribes next week:

Lulu: Kaleb, Bruce, Jake, Katurah, Kellie
Reba: J.Maya, Sifu, Julie, Dee, Sean
Belo: Austin, Drew, Brando, Kendra, Emily

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Khanstant posted:

i havent spent enough time w the other tribes to remember all their names yet, but lulu is evenly divided up, are the other two tribes also equitably split?

Looks like it's Lulu evenly split, four members of the other two tribes with one Lulu each, and then the remaining two members of each tribe join up with the last Lulu.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also worth considering that there are like 11 teams left and only 2 tasks that leg. Once they trim the fat and probably get more complex legs it might feel less forced.

Survivor might be interesting once you get down to like 6 or 7 people. What are you spending the extra 30 minutes on?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i kinda wonder if part of its existence is so that the types jeff usually goes for, typically masculine blue collar boot straps types are usually merge vote fodder and this is a way of shaking it up enough that its not as much of a sure thing as prior seasons

Isn't the typical merge boot 'that girl who's not in the majority alliance and is least likely to have an idol (played for them)'?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

curiousCat posted:

so you want all of the weaker men and women to be vulnerable instead of teamwork being a factor??

Just make the mergatory challenge be complete luck like rock paper scissors, because it might as well be.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It would be harder to find a challenge that Brandon wouldn't be terrible at.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

blue squares posted:

Only a few more hours until we finally have something more interesting to talk about than a contestant who was voted out two weeks ago

Good job on the monkey's paw

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fast Luck posted:

They're not voting him out for being a threat. They wanted to vote him out because he was never in their alliance and they're afraid he could have an idol and use it against them the next vote. All anyone ever says about him is that he's looking for idols all the time.

Except two of the people (Julie and Dee) knew he didn't have an idol because they were part of the successful idol hunt last week.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They should have had each sandwich have a different filling and make them fight to see who gets what if they went that way.

Yank a reuben sandwich away from Kellie and watch her swear vengeance with a blood oath.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So apparently during the swap, Brando found a note/advantage that he didn't even have time to read before it was taken away from him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm rooting for Jake, he's a ton of fun. Like an improved Danny from last season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Don't think it's impossible for Jake to swing back into a winning position but the Reba four (+Emily) have to be broken up for that to happen. And I think that it's possible that Jake already has two supporters on the jury, since he tried to save Kaleb and he didn't vote Kellie out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think he put the bag into another basket so that any rice that would leak out from the hole after the negotiation would still be preserved.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SteveVizsla posted:

She's autistic. A lot of the things people think are annoying about her, she's not trying to be annoying; to use the big scene in Episode 1, where she pointed out that they *weren't* all equal because Bruce had been on the show briefly before (I'm probably going to describe this terribly) she was trying to make sure others didn't fall for his bs and understood that he had an advantage. Truth and honesty tend to be a big thing with autism. It's also why she was pretty paranoid at first, because she was having a hard time adjusting to a game where people do lie a lot.

Bruce is just an rear end who thinks he's fantastic.

She's never said she is, and I think one has to be very careful about ascribing diagnoses to people randomly off armchair psychology.

She's just blunt, and maybe she might be other things, but I'm not assuming anything unless she's outright said it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Reminder that both Katurah and Austin have had 0 votes cast against them, so there might be a chance we get our second coming of Sugar (never had their name written down).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gabon had awful gameplay too but everyone loves it, S45 is fine.

I really liked the season overall. I don't actually think it had any major slumps.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

so are dee and austin ("still"?) together?

Interviews coming out say that they 'don't really want to say anything'.

Sounds like they've visited each other a few times, but it also makes sense that there's a distance gap and Austin is stuck in grad school so not like he's in a position to be moving.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Jake: I can't believe you made me swear on my nana. How could you?

Dee: I'll swear on anyone. I'll even swear on your mother if I had to. And you'll still give me the million!

Just funny that they have two very different takes on it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
(This was after that episode where Dee did it.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dee’s gameplay was just as ‘masterful’.

Why make ‘moves’ when you don’t need them to win?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What 3 easy goats? People kept talking about how much they loved Julie.

I’m not sure Jake and Katurah were necessarily goats either until after F5. Katurah was getting praised as a speaker and Jake had a big sympathy angle. If they pulled that F5 move off and get rid of Dee they look a lot better and Austin looks a lot weaker.

Also season was great, lots of big characters and interactions. If you want chess pieces playing against each other you can watch Game Changers or something, it’s more fun when there’s some emotional fumbles.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Katurah talked about the stuff she did for a living without saying she was a lawyer (she worked for a lot of civil rights).

So both Jake and Julie told her she should go be a lawyer. She mentioned this in her exit press.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihonniboku posted:

I didn't say it was a strict Pagonging. It was the closest we've had in a while. The dominant alliance that originated on the same tribe was in the minority, but the majority for the most part was not interested in changing things up. Dee was the clear frontrunner since the merge, and most people were satisfied with 6th rather than dismantling her alliance. It made for a boring ending to the season.

Dee wasn't even a clear frontrunner for a while, there was nothing distinctly separating her from the other Rebas until like Final 7. In fact Austin/Drew were in arguably better positions due to idol + having Emily on their side.

It wasn't so much a Pagonging as people just being horrible at sticking together. It's like the Foa Foas in Samoa.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Cook Islands is fine on a first blind watch. It loses a lot of its impact on rewatches, because the pre-merge drags and the post-merge is predictable and dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They've definitely had players who mostly won via social wins, like J.T. and were still pretty obvious.