Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That strategy didn’t work out for Joc Pederson either, Billy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

A 5:1 WS trade with your hated rival is an easy ‘yes’ for all but the most sicko fans. A 1:1 though? Who says no to a continued Yankees drought?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

drat RIP O’s. Very fun season to follow, though. Feels like they only had a couple blowout wins this year and scraped together nail biters the rest of the way. I know they’re missing a consistent power threat (which hopefully one of the young guys develops into) but Angelos is going to need to shell out for some starting pitching if he wants this window to stay open.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Twitch Plays POBO

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

drat Amazon already cancelled his new show?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Soto to the Yankees feels more inevitable by FA. Can they put a better trade together than the Padres renting him if they aren’t in the race again next year?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Red posted:

Juan Soto plays in a pitcher's park yet has a poor negative dWAR, the worst on the team by far.

Look up OF rankings on Fangraphs, he's not very good.

And holy poo poo is Esteury Ruiz bad. How can someone that fast be so lovely at fielding?

Wouldn’t a pitcher’s park be worse for Soto because there are more balls for him to make plays on?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

live with fruit posted:

As long as he doesn't miss the ALCS cause of it like Joel Zumaya.

Was that the guy who got hurt playing Guitar Hero? I was in college and thought that injury report was hilarious, but now wonder if it was cover for something else.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

sign with the … Orioles … be an incredibly wealthy athlete

Does not compute

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

DeepDickPizza posted:

Oh, they’re doing something reckless alright.

Ross isn’t getting fired and Counsell is coming out of retirement

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Certainly seems like they wouldn't pay Counsell big buckos if they weren't going to spend.

Maybe the Ricketts are superstitious and figure a Cubs title is the key to getting Trump re-elected.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I refuse to believe the Yankees don’t have a robust analytics department, but Cashman is probably going hard on associating the team’s current, dogshit performance with a lack of analytics so that they can turn around and hire a couple quant guys this winter instead of making any big offseason movies and sell the fans on it being a fresh start.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I remain convinced that the Yankees permanently broke Joey Gallo.

Frazier, too.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

They got it all screwed up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Interviews are pretty helpful for casual fans who don’t engage with the sport as much. Even as someone who follows baseball closely they can be fun and extend the feeling of elation after a win or a really cool play. Yeah the questions asked and quotes given are empty, but occasionally you get something good and it adds to The Narrative, which interests a lot of people.

And even if all a guy has to say about hitting a walkoff is “it was awesome,” that’s better than having nothing for the post game write-up. It wouldn’t surprise me if reporters know almost exactly how someone will answer. They just need the guy to say it.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Utley shouldn’t get in until Ruben Tejada’s allowed a revenge takeout slide.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Artix posted:

If Cease is actually available and Mike Elias isn't on the phone like, yesterday, I am going to be very upset.

I’m sure he is, just like he was at the trade deadline. It probably halted just as quickly this time if the Sox’s asking price still begins at Holliday.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Get back to me when the guy wins a team award. If he and Mike Trout were that good, those two and 24 jabronies should have been able to back into a number 6 seed for the playoffs at least once.

Calling them jabronis is generous. Remember you’re talking about the Angels.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Holy poo poo $700 million. Get you some, Shohei.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Not surprising. And this was basically announced as done a week ago before a last minute halt? Sell the team and disappear to Nashville already.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Upside? We’ll find out
He’s prospect Jorbit Vivas
Walks more than strikes out
He’s prospect Jorbit Vivas

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Years?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Bregor posted:

Bing Crosby

MLB? Nah. NHL? I’m listening.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Good for the Dodgers. I wish my team’s filthy rich owners were interested in spending their money. I might be grumpy if I was in the NL West, but meaningful games against them will really only be in the postseason, and by then it’s *~ lol short sample size dice roll~*

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

… and that was even BEFORE the Warriors went and added KD.

Never exclude that he ran to Golden State after they beat him in a WCF that went to seven.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Wayne Knight posted:

Mervis to the Mariners

Splash Mervis

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Woo Suk Go is my dating strategy

Lmao

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I can absolutely see Bauer willing to take a discounted contract to get back in MLB complementing John Angelos being cheap, an rear end in a top hat, and needing pitching while the O’s window is open.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Mike_V posted:

wasn't bauer getting obliterated in the NPB?

IIRC he had a start on his team’s minor league affiliate and everyone thought it was because he was getting shelled but it (unfortunately) ended up being something he volunteered for as the equivalent of a rest day throw session, or like he was going to miss a start otherwise. Or maybe that was just the official line.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

If there’s truth to their limit on Ohtani being Cole’s contract, they’d definitely stay away from a guy he has known beef with.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

What a strange feeling it must be to discover, so late in life, players deciding not to sign with your team.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

And then when winter rolls around the gambling debt simply freezes to death!

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

It’d be better if he were a pitcher, but the Nats need to get him.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Even humoring the argument that Beltre was more ho-hum longevity vs “must watch,” his 7-year peak is 5 WAR above the average third baseman HoFer.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m thinking they’ll be streamed on Prime and you won’t need cable on top of it.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Goddamnit. Well at least I’m trapped in the separate hell of MASN, so Amazon getting Bally doesn’t affect me and my own situation isn’t improving any time soon.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’ve always wondered if Rendon’s “cool as ice” demeanor in high pressure at bats is fueled by not giving a poo poo.

I love baseball and I also think the season should be shortened to at least NPB’s 143-games. I don’t particularly care for the WS stretching past Halloween now, but if MLB wants to keep the calendar length and add more rest days then sure whatever.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Goldschmidt’s sordid time as a Cardinal is going to put his case for the hall at an even greater disadvantage than Bonds and Arod re: steroids.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Which one of you is this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm sure someone else said this about another talking head, but gently caress me if I can't remember who it was. Hell, it may have been Skip they were talking about

I assume this is true for every talking head who plies their trade through outrage.