Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

He'll get offers but it'll be from teams like the Pirates and Royals. Teams that are both bad and have no obvious first baseman already, and just want someone casual fans have heard of to put a picture of on the tickets and marketing emails.

If there's one thing the Royals have it's an abundance of 1B who can't really hit or field that well (Nick Pratto) and guys who can hit but should never see the field (Nelson Velasquez, Edward Oliveras).

Also Pasquantino will be back next year and he's dreamy but can't really play anywhere but 1B or DH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

live with fruit posted:

They're looking for a hatchetman so hopefully they get someone from the Rockies or Royals.

Dayton Moore is just sort of hanging out with the Rangers. I'm sure he'd love to run another franchise (into the ground).

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Red posted:

How did the Royals win a ring?

Their wave of talent all matured at the same time (Hosmer, Moustakas, Salvy, Gordon), their outfield defense was world class thanks to Lorenzo Cain catching everything, GMDM made a couple of shrewd trades to bring in talent (Cueto, Zobrist) and EVERY drat pitcher they put in the bullpen had a career year.

I mean just look at this poo poo:

Wade Davis just randomly decided to be the best relief pitcher ever for one year.

Also they timed their window so they were good just as the typical coastal power teams kinda sucked.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I completely forgot they were doing a draft lottery now:

It's so loving stupid and I know the Royals are going to somehow get hosed because of it.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

:dafuq:

It's hard being a Royals fan sometimes.

gently caress SBF. I hope he enjoys spending the rest of his life in a minimum security prison that's probably nicer than my house.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Hating the Rays, Yankees, Astros and Red Sox is correct, at least as far as fundamental truths go

You forgot the Dodgers and Cardinals.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Yes there’s been an acceleration of the trend in the last 5-8 years but it’s also a trend that’s been pretty steady for the entirety of the live ball era. I made this graph 3 years ago, this year’s number was 5.14 IP per start.

Jesus, did the Royals 2015 strategy of winning the World Series with a strong bullpen destroy starting pitching? Sure seems like the line takes a dramatic dive after 2015.

Sorry about that, traditionalists, but Flags Fly Forever. :colbert:

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

White Sox continue their quest to collect Royals castoffs. Nicky's an expensive all-glove little bat guy but he seems nice I guess.

Lots of rumors that KC is shopping Salvy and the White Sox are one of the rumored destinations (he's got a strong bond with the manager).

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Braves traded Kyle Wright to the Royals for Jackson Kowar

Pretty good deal for KC long-term if he can be healthy after he comes back from surgery

As a Royals fan I love this so much and it's exactly the sort of trade a 100 loss team should make.

Kowar blew away AAA hitters but has shown little in the majors. He's still got a chance to work out as a reliever but I think he's just not good enough. They traded him for a starter that might be cooked - or might return from injury next year and return to his 21 Win form. Absolutely worth rolling the dice and I"m so glad our front office is willing to take these sorts of chances.

I wish Kowar luck in Atlanta and I hope he can find success in the NL far away from KC.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

my favorite Hosmer comp is James Loney

Maybe if the Dodgers had won it all in 2008 Loney could have gotten paid too

I'm so thankful KC let the Padres overpay for him - now he's remembered as a guy who brought a Championship to KC instead of that guy who we paid way too much money to ground out to 2B over and over.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I hate the lottery so drat much

Royals have the second worst record and pick at 6. :bang:

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
The Royals did a thing!

They dumped one of their only decent relievers (Dylan Coleman) to the Astros for cash to open a 40 man spot before the Rule 5 (well, decent in 2022. He put up a ERA over 8.00 this year)

:effort:

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Rule 5 draft has started

1 A's (39) -- RHP Mitch Spence (NYY)
2 Royals (39) -- RHP Sauer, Matt (NYY)
3 Rockies (39) -- RHP Molina, Anthony (TB)
4 White Sox (39) -- LHP Drohan, Shane (BOS)

What's a Matt Sauer and will he be anything?

(He won't be anything)

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

They're trying to make sure the stadium funding deal gets passed.

If they want to convince me they're trying to win they can sign BWJ to a long term deal.

Still, it's nice to see a Royals front office actually take steps to address their weaknesses in ways that don't involve singing Jordan Lyles.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Doofus on MLB network: "Right now if I had to pick an AL Central winner, the Royals would be right there. I think they would be the team I go with."

https://nitter.net/mlbnetwork/status/1735804531617796270?t=EIzYGybqe1-6HNOCZkOKhA

I think the Twins are still the best team in the division but I'd love for the Royals to be relevant past the end of the school year.

Also they traded Edward Oliveras to the Pirates since he's basically a clone of Renfroe.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Royals have spent the 5th most just as everyone predicted

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

MLB economics continue to be a farce.

Never thought I'd see Yankee fans complain about MLB economics.

Maybe someday they'll spend money like my Royals have this offseason. :getin:

(This has to be the first time Royals fans can dunk on Yankeedom since like 1980)

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

This is how I found out the Twins signed some random reliever I've never heard of

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1740070110596079810

At one time he was a hard-throwing guy with no control but now he's post TOS surgery so he's probably cooked.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Popete posted:

Can you imagine this thread when the Cubs actually sign Cody? Cause I can imagine it

Can you imagine this thread when the Cubs re-sign proven winner and four time Gold Glove winner Eric Hosmer?

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Intruder posted:

Actually a pretty good deal for Witt with those opt outs

Yeah that seems surprisingly cheap.

But it's the Royals so he'll get hurt in spring training and proceed to Adalberto Mondesi it for the next 10 years because we can't have nice things

(Except 2014-2015. That was nice)

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

AndrewP posted:

I'm always surprised that teams do this considering how little they have to pay rookies, even arb eligible ones

This is more of a statement - far too many Royals fans remember the years when every decent player would get traded away before they hit FA.

They don't have nearly enough talent to be competitive but playing in the AL Central makes it a lot easier to get there.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Popete posted:

That's a really good deal for Witt. Not saying it's bad for the Royals, just comparing it to all the other young players getting locked up for less money.

He can opt out after 7 years (and almost certainly will barring his body turning to glass like Mondesi) but even locking him up for 7 years is a huge turn from the usual pattern of trading away talent when it gets expensive.

I'm so stoked! Looking forward to maybe finishing third this year!

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

AndrewP posted:

didn't the Royals kinda do this with Salvy Perez?

Yes, they initially signed him to a very cheap deal and then later signed him to an extension that re-worked a few of the previously signed years for more money.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

AndrewP posted:

https://uni-watch.com/2024/02/07/2024-mlb-batting-practice-cap-collection-appears-online/

Spring training Batting Practice hats, they’re all extremely cool and good imo

I kind of hate the Royals one but then I don't really like that logo on hats.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

SIGN CODY BELLINGER NOW!!!!!

Royals going to shock the world and sign him for 10y/$300M or something.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

tadashi posted:

I wonder if anyone else has a more underwhelming slate of teams to root for at the moment?
My list is currently:
Cubs
UK (CFB, MCBB)
Kings (NBA)
Titans (NFL)

Royals
Portland Trailblazers
Mizzou sports

But the real cherry on top is my consciously turning my back on the NFL in 2017 or so after being a Chiefs fan for my entire life (and not for the kneeling thing or Chud reasons - I hate toxic football culture and no longer wanted to support it). I hear the team has improved a bit since then but I haven't watched a game in 7 years. But I watched the poo poo out of Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac. :cry:

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Steve Bono ruled

Greatest TD run ever

I will never forget the Naked Bono Bootleg

It took him so long to make it to the end zone. :lol:

(although looking at the video it was not a naked bootleg even though we always called it that - there's a OL out there blocking for him (and nearly outrunning Bono))

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

I swear I'll stop with football posts in the MLB thread but thank you for this - it's amazing.

The Royals finally revealed the location of their downtown stadium yesterday and shared some renderings. I'll have to get back to KC this year or next to see the K one last time. I hate that they're replacing it but at least they're doing an un-Barves and moving from the suburbs into downtown.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

tadashi posted:

Are there any other owners who had Mike Illitch's "gently caress it, it's only money" approach in his later years?

The Royals made a push after the 1989 season when it was clear Ewing Kauffman wasn't going to make it much longer - that's the offseason when they signed Storm Davis and Mark Davis (giving them both previous years Cy Young winners) and briefly had the highest payroll in baseball.

It did not work out.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

euphronius posted:

Anyone have a scouting report on Whit Merrifield

As a Royals fan who watched him for years: gently caress Whit Merrifield.

(His exit from KC was... messy)

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Intruder posted:

Which cap does Hosmer wear in the hall?

Ugh they're going to put in him the Royals HOF, aren't they? Maybe letting him gently caress off to the Padres kept his KC career short enough to keep him out and they'll put Gordon and Salvy in as the 2015 guys.

gently caress Hosmer, I hope they just ignore him and don't have a Hosmer Day this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Intruder posted:

both texas teams just absolutely poo poo the bed that year

the astros were up by 4 in the 8th leading the ALDS 2-1 and didn't record an out until the game was tied including Correa booting a GIDP ball while still up 6-3 that would have made it 6-4 bases empty runner on third and 2 outs

That was a great game.