Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Oh right I've played the game entirely and can post in here.

I was extremely excited for the NG+ update, getting to play through the game with all the upgrades from your previous playthroughs has been relatively cathartic. Also would give me a chance to get the Lighthouse reward because my cult stashes bugged out my first run and never gave me the key!

Oh well NG+ can help with that-

Wait, the cult stash you get the Crossbow out of is already open now. You can't interact with it in any way or get it marked as complete? That seems like a major issue. Oh well I'm sure they'll patch that up pretty quick, a quick google tells me other folks are having the same issue. Anyway shouldn't run into any more problems right- I can't pick up the Monster doll because it's clipped halfway into the life preserver it sits on what the gently caress.

This patch is so cursed lmao. I really wanna push to the ending but man every time I hit a new bugged spot I just have to put the game down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SirSamVimes posted:

There's another Monster doll to pick up in the area that gets revealed after the nursing home.

Is there another spot for it after you get the bolt cutters? Huh, glad they have some overlap. Still very weird that so many things have been bugged out to be impossible to grab.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kchama posted:

I just really hate dealing with wolves and speed-guys in heavy woods.

ngl my favorite part about NG+ so far is having an upgraded Rifle as Saga and just doming the super speed axe throwers through their darkness shield.

edit: usually before they even notice me. Very satisfying.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 19, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

There are patch notes! Huzzah, it fixes the issues with NG+ and not being able to pick up those two inventory expansions as Saga!

"Global

Fixed an issue where players were unable to pick up inventory capacity upgrades as Saga at Cauldron Lake shore and at the Bright Fall’s fishing pier.

New Game Plus

Removed duplicate Charms from the player’s inventory.
Prevent players from getting duplicate Charms.
New Game Plus now tracks players unlocks from all the previous games, not just from the first playthrough.
If you already have unlocked New Game Plus, you need to load any checkpoint from a non-New Game Plus session before starting a New Game Plus.
Note: You also need to start a completely fresh New Game Plus save file for the unlocks to take effect, after loading in an old checkpoint from a non-New Game Plus session.

Stubborn “Bright Falls” manuscript page in the bunker forest shack has been taught some manners and is now ready to be picked up by the players."

Wait no. What the gently caress. I've gotta start over? Ugh.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

reloaded my ng save I had stashed away "just in case" (phew) and it was right before I opened up my last two cultist stashes. And this time finishing them the game didn't bug out and not give me the lighthouse key! :toot:

Figure I'll try cleaning up a bit and see if it keeps for when I start another ng+ save.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kin posted:

Well, I've just made it all the way back to the inventory expansion in bright falls in ng+ and it's still bugged.

The chest is locked, but when you open it the item isn't inside as if you already collected it in the first playthrough.

This shits never getting patched due to the epic exclusivity is it?

tbe last patch should have fixed it, according to the patch notes. Did you just load your old ng+ file from before the patch or did you follow the instructions in the patch notes?

Y'know, the notes that aren't linked anywhere in the launcher that you need to google to even figure out if there was a patch at all since the game just auto updates so quickly?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kin posted:

Yeah, did the whole going back into the old save and starting a new ng+.

All my other charms and inventory expansions have carried over and I was able to get the stash on the beach that had been bugged too.

There's no item in the stash when I open it, like it's just an empty box as if it thinks I've already picked it up on the base game. No funky interactive points or anything like there was before.

It's all still busted generally anyway. Most of the stashes I opened and looted turned into unopened containers on the map.

weird, the game probably thinks you picked that inventory upgrade up already. And yeah I've noticed the cultist stashes remaining on the map as unopened containers, but tbh I don't mind too much and it feels kind of intentional. It's nice being able to find them again easily if you needed to double check it for something or wanted to reread the note.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

^^^edit: You could say a lot of games are just walking simulators where you go from point A to B. Calling AW2 one does it a disservice imo, and you get plenty of optional stuff to explore and poke at. Or you could just ignore it too. Also I hear people mention jumpscares but I didn't even notice a single one. Maybe I'm just inoculated to jump scares but if the game had any they were pretty tame and decently signaled.

Not to mention Saga's nursery rhymes to find and puzzle out. Alan's side is def a bit more sparse but I don't mind that too much, the aesthetics and plot board of his side kept it interesting.

Overall I'd say NG+ was a great excuse to play the game again but now you can do it with your tricked out guns you didn't really get to make use of before as much. P satisfying blasting through enemies with the Rifle or Flare Gun that've been fully powered up.

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, essentially. New Game Plus has several changes, some meta, that make it a continuation of playthrough 1. It might sound daunting but it won't feel like playing through the same game again, they made sure to change enemy timing and placements to keep it fresh.

I'm gonna be honest playing on Nightmare in NG+ I haven't even noticed any enemy placement differences. By timing do you mean on enemy attacks or enemy types appearing ahead of when they normally would?

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 24, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kefa posted:

who's the gay character?

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was the FBC Agent

And you won't even know she's gay unless you sit around and listen to some optional dialogue between her and Casey.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CJacobs posted:

It's REALLY subtle. I don't think the enemies attack faster or differently but Coffee World for example has more roamers come out of the well. The first one I noticed is at the general store. In NG there's a flow to it: The deer runs by and scares Saga, you walk closer, the dude breaks out. In NG+ All 3 of those things happen at once and he beelines for you. The jump scares also like all have very slightly different timing, the earliest one I think is one they omit from the Nightingale sequence only to have it happen after the tree.

I had to restart my NG+ save for the patch (was right after coffee world) but anecdotally I didn't notice any more roamers than the NG playthrough, seemed about the same. Blasted them all with a rifle so maybe it was harder to notice a difference compared to when I felt like I had to sneak around them before lol.

When I get there again I'll try and pay attention. As for the jumpscares, see one of my previous posts lol. :shrug:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kefa posted:

What did you think of the first game?

Tbh? Half remembered watching on an LP a long time ago. The general sentiment of it being linear with cool set pieces and leaning entirely too much on the relatively simple combat loop is my impression of it, as well as remembering the plot point of Alan jumping into the Dark Place to save Alice. And indeed saving her, but at cost.

I might grab the remaster at some point and play it through, but I doubt I'd change my mind on AW2 being a far superior game. The combat is sparse but the enemies are far more threatening, while the sparseness of enemies gives you some space to breath and absorb what's going in with the plot and atmosphere of the game.

goblin week posted:

Hey that's great man. Anyway can you play through this for me

goondolances but if you wanna hit me with a reference to dunk on me you're gonna have to be more upfront with what it is. Random guess, is this from Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kefa posted:

To be fair I think I liked AW a lot because of its very unique atmosphere and setting for a video game. The combat was rear end but not too bad, especially if you play on easy to skip it as much as possible. And then Control came out which also had the same style but also fun gameplay. AW2 didn’t feel as unique to me anymore of course so the trick of fever-dreamy way of storytelling didn’t do it for me this time.

I agree AW2 isn't gonna win any awards for unique combat gameplay but it was still satisfying and fun. Don't need to reinvent the wheel, just gotta make the wheel look and sound great when it's doing the job it's supposed to do.

Kin posted:

I've just finished that again in ng+ and nothing you're saying makes sense.

That last part (deer fest) is a super linear section with no exploration outside of being able to go into the front section of the diner to get the TV ad next to the jukebox.

You can't go into the back area of the diner as there are people blocking it.

You can't get into the safe area of the lodge because it's not the route you're supposed to take (you have to go left around the chimney before going out the back through the kitchen) or you get murdered every time.

The game is riddled with bugs but I've never seen anything like what you're describing for the end of the game by anyone online.

There's a patch note from the official website for Alan Wake 2 that actually supports the claim of this specific bug, though like most things it was written vaguely enough you couldn't thumb the Deerfest chair as the specific thing that was fixed

Alan Wake 2 Patchnotes posted:

Player progress should no longer be blocked by unruly furniture and props being in the wrong place

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CapnAndy posted:

Those flying fuckers who dodge things thrown at them are the worst :mad:

plink at them first with a gun, they always dodge the first projectile shot at them regardless of what type of projectile. Then slam a rock, another enemy or an office chair into their face. Very satisfying.

My personal favorite weapon was the rocket launcher, especially for the flyers. Fire a rocket to make them dodge, grab the rocket with launch and slam it into the back of the stupid idiot who thought he just dodged it. Launch damage AND a rocket explosion. :getin:

Not a personal fan of basic Grip or the infinite ammo mod, the p sure the infinite ammo mod required hitting headshots to keep the ammo. Been a while tho.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

redreader posted:

I just finished the old age home and I was in the forest and two throwers made very short work of me, they're so tough! They throw twice fast, and reposition. if you carry on moving and dodging it still doesn't work because they're throwing from behind you or whatever and it's hard to know how to dodge. I tried throwing a flare at one and I dropped it because the guy hit me with an axe right after I lit it.

I highly highly recommend saving up enough manuscript pieces to get the rifle Darkness Shield Penetration upgrade. It lets you trivialize the throwers and is a massive boon.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CapnAndy posted:

I'm up to Initiation 2 now, and Ahti, what are you doing in the Dark Place? Why are you in the Dark Place, Ahti? This throws a serious wrench into my "he's an avatar of the Board/Oldest House" theory, because they wouldn't be there. It's also semi-creepy that Alan has the word-for-word exact reaction to him that Jesse did. Yes, okay, he is a friendly face, but why does everyone think that the first time they meet him? Does he make you think that?

They're doing a remarkably good job of showing, rather than telling, that Alan has gone absolutely bugfuck insane. "Oh, a manifestation of the fictional detective I made up showed up in this place made of my own subconcious impulses and told me about a murder cult, what a remarkably good idea, I think I should write them into reality and add stuff about them summoning a dark god". I love all the incidental details on hosed Up Nightmare New York, from the ads to the graffiti to how every official-looking piece of signage actually has text from a manuscript from a previous game on it (including American Nightmare!). Really wonderful design work.

Am I meant to find it significant that Alan gets dragged out of the Dark Place -- which, holy poo poo okay, didn't expect that to happen in Chapter 2 -- in his AN outfit?

Ahti is pretty much all but explicitly confirmed to be a Finnish god of rivers/water in Control, and is not actually tied to the Board or the Oldest house, it just happens to be one of the places he does regular maintenance as a janitor. I mean, the Dark Place itself is covered up by a lake after all and is described as an ocean, is it such a surprise Ahti is hanging around and inside of it?

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 16, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CapnAndy posted:

I would also like to play XCONTROL. Especially if they find some bullshit justification to give out the superpowers (oh Jesse's loaning you the power or something blah blah whatever), just because if you could handle a baddie in cover by telekinetically ripping the cover out of the ground and throwing it into the face of one of his buddies, that would loving own.

That's just weird to me. I dunno why that's the line I draw, but, like... I expect Tor and Odin to be parautilitarians who blasted their own minds out on magic moonshine, not literally Thor and Odin, y'know?

The rest of control exists and somehow Ahti is the weird one? Fair enough lol.

Fwiw I don't think Tor and Odin are actual gods, just a pair of swedes with actual psychic seer powers they can trace back to their ancestors. They just happen to really like Norse mythology.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Al! posted:

they hand you the flare gun during we sing so i think the combat might have been more about training you on how to use it and illustrating the events of the first game in a neat way than providing a challenge (unless you just fought the taken normally and never used it to save ammo, you hoarder)

the latter part is funny because the game doesn't tell you it'll take away all the resources you find during it, so hoarding them or trying to skimp by is pointless. Just blast every taken with the flare gun.

NG+ even helps illustrate that you lose all Words of Power upgrades during the segment as well, which was kinda jarring when you go from near maxed to 0 upgrades suddenly.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kibayasu posted:

It feels like instead of big showy rock music the game should have gone with something slower and more sinister but still rock. I can’t think of an example but I’m sure something exists.

So more like Poets of the Fall than Old Gods of Asgard? :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CapnAndy posted:

I have taken Saga through the first boss fight after character-switching becomes available. I assume these are the questions I'm meant to be asking:

Did I actually pull Alan Wake out of the Dark Place? He's so strangely monotone when profiled. Is that Scratch or a tulpa or something?
Saga is quite clearly deluding herself, but to what extent? Have I actually seen Agent Casey interact with anyone else at all?

Just keep playing, hard to speak on it when you're still so early lol.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah he does, but I wasn't paying attention then, and now I literally can't remember if anyone ever responds.

Saga is quite clearly an unreliable narrator to some degree, and that's got me questioning everything about everything she asserts to be true -- and her partner who's always hanging back and letting her take the lead and do all the active stuff and just so happens to have the name and face of Alan Wake's fictional detective character immediately went right up to the top of the list of things I'm looking twice at.

I have literally no problem with the assumption that she's psychic and this is just her ritual for focusing it.

Alan himself is also an unreliable narrator... funny thing that.

Also as an aside the crossbow is good, but like the above poster said you need the two shot mag. It's best used on the wolves or the axe throwers imo, and the wolves give you plenty of time to reload too. You can also dodge cancel out of the reload animation if you're about to get hit.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CJacobs posted:

My read on Saga's power is that she is psychic in that she can intuit the present. Whatever is going on right now, she can see it through the eyes of anyone perceiving it if she has performed the ritual of deduction. It will come through in their voice. Even if they're dead. It is a very cool take on telepathy.

Oxxidation posted:

and if she really wants to then she can mentally go HNNNNGH and force the truth out of people she's never even met

unless it's mr scratch, who figuratively reaches out of his profile page and starts to strangle her before she switches him off

honestly I'd peg it as more a straight up form of one way telepathy, except she can agitate people's minds by thinking really hard at them on a particular subject and dig up new information about it.

and of course if the other person is also psychic she can hold a two way conversation with them. This includes Alan, who is also contextually revealed to also be psychic though is probably more clairvoyant than telepathic (in the sense/see things from afar sense, not the future sight sense).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

As I approach the halfway point of my playthrough of NG+ (decided to just blast through Saga's side before going further than We Sing as Alan) I've got one question that's remained with me since my first playthrough. Am I just unobservant and missed a bunch of clues each time? Like my first playthrough I've got massive chunks of Saga's case board missing, not to mention the usual clues that have remained "available later" like a bunch of stuff from Tor. Especially since I have the Mayor Setter charm I'm pretty confident I haven't missed any clues that get marked on the map. What am I missing? Or is there just a bunch of stuff you aren't meant to find?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

redreader posted:

Yes I do, but in my ten tries last night I only got the option to use it twice. I suppose I have to be close enough and also have the enemy at a low enough health. At least the heal orb can't heal itself!

It's been a hot minute but I'm pretty sure the mind control power needs some upgrades before you can grab orbs, and also unless it's fully upgraded you gotta be pretty close

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and that first thing is also Alan’s fault

hot dropping spoilers on a person clearly playing through for the first time is kinda rude for this type of game.

Although I'll admit if you hadn't picked up that Alan has written some hosed up poo poo to try and keep the story going in the horror genre...

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Well the patch apparently fixed all the issues I had with the story board and various case files. Guess it was a bug causing issues all along lol, phew.

edit: and once again I am screwed out of the lighthouse key despite them just implementing a fix. If I did Alan's side first in my playthrough I woulda been fine too lol.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 31, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

lmao I just had the game softlock on the Ocean View bar menu. Can't quite win'em all Remedy. Couldn't press escape to get out, but the game was clearly running so I had to alt f4.

CapnAndy posted:

I haven't played Quantum Break so I dunno about any of that, but overall I'm inclined to believe Door. I think the Dark Place has only two rules: it only reacts to art, and the artist needs to believe in the work. The Old Gods are uncomplicated straight-ahead types so they can just haul up and rock out, but Alan is so consumed with personal issues and self-doubt that he has to put all these barriers in his own way, because maybe if he suffers enough, he'll finally get the voice in his head that's constantly telling him he's not good enough and doesn't deserve his success to shut the gently caress up and admit that he earned this one.

I think that the Andersons all prove the reason why the Dark Presences targets specific artists/writers/creatives and not others, because it needs someone it can break down and twist to make use of in its escape. A bunch of stubborn rock musicians used to bashing heads and stubborn as rocks are bad targets aside from the fact they have psychic powers and can fight back like that as well. Like, the Dark Presence really had to target Tor's baser desires to even try and affect him and even then it seems more like Tor was affected because of his remorse from mistakes long ago. Once Saga shows up and accepts him and gives him a chance to apologize to her, you can practically see the weight lift from his shoulders.

This is a long rambling post to say I don't disagree entirely, but also by design the Dark Place is able to work better on some people better than others, and is at least half at fault for what Alan is putting himself through.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

A new patch just dropped that fixed some crashes, but more importantly allegedly quashed the bug causing the Lighthouse keys to become unobtainable in some playthroughs, huzzah! :toot:

It gave me the energy to want to finish, just need to polish off Alan's side and... uh...

... Remedy? Why am I getting so many new bugs? :ohdear:

Tim feeling comfy in his new spot:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...aada7a9a8f421a&

Hey did you know you have some Words of Power? :)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...3e2511c83a07fb&

I had to sit through the entirety of Alice's pt2 documentary a second time due to this soft lock

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

No extra lyrics, just instrumental.

TontoCorazon posted:

Anybody listen to the complete edit of Herald of Darkness, a lot of what they cut sounds so good.

hell yeah, I get why it got cut down and boy am I glad they released it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hell yeah.

https://www.threads.net/@samlakewrites/post/C4ZxFosNrnQ/

It doesn't embed on the forums but Sam Lake apparently just finished up his final motion capture shoot for the DLC. And of course he's holding a coffee mug in the photo lol