Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So... do we think the anniversary episodes will have Donna be a millionaire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Confusedslight posted:

I would love twice upon a time only if they didn't make the 1st doctor so awful. Like maybe (and probably) willaim hartnell was like that to some degree but the 1st doctor was not that bad...

Yeah, Moffat's big mistake was thinking that the First Doctor was a character from the 1960's, rather than him being a character created in the 1960's. It was such a bizarre misunderstanding of who the character is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Bill ruled so much and I'm sad we only got one season with her as a companion.

I wonder what the actress is up to these days. I haven't seen her in anything since her season ended.

The_Doctor posted:

The Doctor is eating snacks, and lets innocent people get killed, yeah. It ruins an already bad episode.

Gosh, by the end Moffat really didn't know what he was doing, did he?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I don’t know, he rallied for his final season by and large.

Yeah, but even his last ever episode has the First Doctor as an old sexist man. :(

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Haha I skipped through the Corden episodes. Didn't hate the eps back then but can't stand him now so just wooshed on by.

10 gets a lot of grief for wanting to stick around, but I had forgotten how much 11 does the same thing. Almost worse in a way since he keeps doing fake outs involving Amy/Rory leaving too. Almost had the sense they were planning on changing doctors and companions and didn't. I assume he had his "oh ho she killed a fake doctorbototron" thing all planned out, but even knowing he doesn't go away, it feels like he's about to and then doesn't and it's holding in a sneeze.

And he was meant to get another full season that was planned out for after the 50th but Matt Smith decided to leave when production delays meant he'd basically be committing to another two years of the show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Davros building a Dalek before surviving the bombing throws a lot of really good material off. But it was fun so who cares.

I'm surprised I've not seen more discussion of this but RTD has said that this is Davros going forward now as a permanent change. They wanted to get away from portraying someone disabled/scarred as evil.

Personally if this was a show aimed at adults I'd feel that was a little silly but seeing as it's a kids show, and that the change happened in a Children in Need special, I think it's great. Wibbly, wobbly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Where did he say this? I'm curious

Sorry, he says it in Doctor Who Unleashed on iPlayer, the new behind the scenes show and he has commented on it on Instagram.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

There's a new interior for the 60th and a new interior for the Christmas Special. They are mixing up the console room more often now that it's a Volume enhanced set.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

This is a better group than the guy presenting Unleashed.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rochallor posted:

It's insane how much better the writing is from just one isolated scene, I already know more about Rose as a character than any of the main cast from the past few series. And I've never been one to push for DW needing the best visual effects... but the Meep looks amazing. I think they're doing some CGI work to manipulate the mouth, but if you told me it was a puppet I'd believe you.

It's a physical puppet but the full face is a CGI performance capture of Miriam Margolyes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Isn't the Daleks "film" meant to be out today?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

lines posted:

This was an interesting watch for what they did and didn't include, especially re: Chibnall's era.

https://youtu.be/s46TZDTTFdM?si=jVZD-FA-bUkvN8Pt

Back to being the Last of the Timelords, but being the Timeless Child can gently caress off. Good video.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Harlock posted:

Maybe I was just kind of blind to it during the Jodie era, but the RTD marketing machine is running at full blast.

You weren't blind to it, it was non existent.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

A couple of interesting notes from the Video Commentary on iPlayer.

Gatwa is using the same Tardis set.

"The Boss" teaser doesn't refer to The Toymaker and isn't resolved until Gatwa as Tennent doesn't know what it means but the Producers do.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Eiba posted:

Not related to the music, but that image-

I actually enjoyed the sonic screwdriver being used for weird magic poo poo this time because it was creative magic poo poo. I couldn't help but laugh as he slowly pushed those shields he drew into position.

Yeah, this was great. The fact it took time and effort as well means it's not just a magic solution in most shoot out situations.

It being able to project holograms its such a wonderfully useful tool for the writers to have, so I'm happy about that too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Well she does belong to UNIT and they're just violent psychos running on fumes from doctor encounters.

I do know if I knew of the Doctor before meeting one, I would also act unimpressed. That's the move that made me like her. If she'd been fangushing I would've rolled my eyes.

Yeah, we just had a fangirl CSO with Osgood and she was great for her first appearance and then absolutely awful afterwards.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Slyphic posted:

I don't recall anyone gushing at all, nor is that even what I'm what I think should have happened. But a 'scientist' that's supposed to be protecting the earth meeting the best and most fundamental consultant in her species history and then just la-de-daing away was trite snark pandering. The only person I remember gushing in that episode was the "lookit at the aliens" kid. Everyone else was all eggshells and morose and ambivalent.

Interesting, I've apparently met my shadow mirror opinion holder.

It wouldn't surprise me if, from her point of view, she's already met Ncutti Doctor and gushed with him, so ReTennant is old hat. Maybe we will see her first meeting with the Doctor next season?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

SILENCE WILL FALL

Moffat's overarching story was weird, in the sense that it went on too long and never should of included Clara (so much of it was tied into Amy and Rory and River) and also it ended too soon because Matt wanted out of the role so it's resolution is all crammed into Time (?) of the Doctor.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

lines posted:

Say what you like about Chibnall - and I have - I never heard much bad about behind the scenes stuff in his era. This being said he brought Barrowman back - I'm all for people making restitution and second chances, but when it's back in a role associated with your inappropriate behaviour it's a bit poor taste.

I may be wrong here but I think Barrowman returned prior to the accusations.

Wad he in it a second time after them? I've missed quite a few Fourteen episodes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

He clearly was meant to though wasn't he, and they changed plans?

Yeah, he's appearance sets up him having future knowledge about the Timeless Child poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Loved the episode. I love, weird, high concept Doctor Who and this was great.

I wish the Doctor choosing the wrong Donna had been dwelt on for a second longer as I'm surprised Donna shrugged that off so easily.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

High Warlord Zog posted:

The first Chibnall seasons is fine. I appreciated the attempt to go back to straightforward monster of week stories after the Moffat era went all in on overcomplicated metaplot nonsese. Then Chibnall brought that back too.

But even those monster of the week episodes are, in my opinion, incredibly weak with a single exception. Any good ideas the episodes have are squandered by a rubbish execution.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

elf help book posted:

Spyfall 1 is where Chibnall lost me, and not for any one good reason. Just the slow buildup of disinterest finally crushing it. I very clearly remember watching the car/motorcycle chase scene and thinking "this looks great.... and I don't care"

There had been such a long gap between seasons that when Spyfall was just an okay Chibnall episode it didn't feel worth investing in anymore.

I finished that season, and saw the Timeless Child poo poo, and just checked out entirely.

I've not seen anything between that and Power of the Doctor (also poo poo).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I like the NDP's. I wish we'd seen more of them once they had the repaint.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Warthur posted:

What is up with the Eleventh Doctor's face? It looks like they've photoshopped him to have Gigachad's bone structure.

That's just Matt Smith's face.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

SecretOfSteel posted:

Also in 13 Flux + specials, the Doctor and one companion are stated to be in love, while the other companion just turns around and walks off when it's too hard to write for them.

And it's the most underutilised and underwritten companion.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rochallor posted:

I enjoyed it when she showed up but I'm pretty happy with where we left her. When she first shows up she's a fun Doctor fangirl, appropriate for the 50th anniversary. That gives us a named character that we like to be killed cruelly and callously by Missy. And then the last time we see her she's still got a fascination with the Doctor, but she's also got her own thing that's more important. It's a nice, solid character arc and she gets a better resolution than most of the people in proximity to the Doctor.

Also she might be a Zygon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Well that's alright then!

:kiss:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Sorta bummed we're not getting a meta-crisis for half an episode until the Doctor comes good, cause honestly they're a lot of fun.

At the same time though... straight into fully baked Gatwa Doc? Please and thank you.

Minor Christmas episode spoiler...

By the time we meet the Doctor in the Christmas special he's been Gatwa for a few hundred years.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's just another case of him cribbing though; it's Neil Gaiman by way of the NAs.

And he was rubbish at it. His depiction of anything like that was pedestrian and tepid. There's more imagination in the throw away reference's that RTD likes to include than there is in anything Chibnall wrote.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

There was a great example of RTD being able to be really evocative with just a few words in the full script for Wild Blue Yonder that I don't think made it to the screen:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0ZNmSP...F3-8889A2069610

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

The nice thing I can say about the Chibnall era is the show looked great. Both in terms of how everything was designed and how it was shot. Chibnall probably wouldn't have made the catch scene in The Giggle look so boring.

But then Chibnall also avoided musical numbers until the very end of his run, so you can see his failings there.

I can't disagree that the catch scene looked rubbish (apparently Gatwa was really bad at it, so they had to edit around his fumbles per the commentary, but that's all said with love and jest by Davies and Tennant), but Chibnall's Who routinely looked loving awful.

Any attempt at action scenes was horrendous, like Ryan running off with a gun in the second ever episode or Graham and his dancing shoes. Embarrassing.

The street fight in The Star Beast is better than anything Chibnall put on screen visually, and the Not-Things are more inventive, and the Toymaker more fun.

I'd be genuinely interested in what parts of Chibnall's run you thought looked good? I remember he liked drone shots.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Tornhelm posted:

While that was likely the intention, given the ratings, I don't know how valuable that is anymore. Each of the specials have had worse numbers (5.08m, 4.83m & 4.62m) on the overnights, and none of them have even reached Capaldi's last special let alone Jodie's first episodes (she was pulling in good ratings until Spyfall) which has to have made Tennant a lot less valuable as a possible ripcord to be pulled than he was before the specials.

That's a remarkably low drop between episodes for modern TV drama, and the 7+ figures show that viewing figures are actually comparable to the heights of Tennant's first run with 7.6m.

Also Unleashed is pulling in insane figures for BBC Three, a channel that was previously cancelled entirely.

You're being pessimistic for no reason. In the current TV landscape Doctor Who has been an absolutely success.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I think Ncutti running around in his underwear was particularly glaring because Davies had gone out of his way (too far out of his way, I think) to have Tennant not wearing Jodie's outfit. Which is really silly, but shows that he's sensitives as a writer were aligned with one group but maybe not another.

Also, it would've made way more thematic sense for Tennant to be underdressed in that scene, literally with his pants down, as he took the backfoot to Ncutti being THE DOCTOR.

Also, him telling off Ncutti for swearing whilst dressed as the Doctor makes total sense, as you don't want any leaked clips or audio of the Doctor swearing circling around, but it's really silly when you consider all the poo poo Barrowman and Clarke were getting up to on his first run.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

It acts to establish him.

This is a great counter argument to my point.

Thank you.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I suspect we're not gonna get any White women cast as the Rani under RTD, unfortunately for that idea.

Ncutti has said he wants Gillian Anderson for the role.

EDIT: Oops. I've accidently looped the conversation.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CobiWann posted:

What did people think about the brief color inserts of the Toymaker and the First Doctor when Fourteen realized who was behind the counter?

I thought it was fine if a little clunky. Apparently at one point they considered having David Bradley back to recreate a scene with NPH but decided against it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Harlock posted:

Will they retain the 3 seasons and done unless you're David Tennant informal clause?

Russel is writing Ncutt's third series now, he's just deciding on the title of the fifth episode apparently. It starts filming in October next year.

My guess is we get at least four series out of Ncutti at this rate, especially seeing as the plan seems to be to film two series close together and then have a gap.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

It's infinitely preferable to filming like two episodes every five years or whatever they've been doing since that split-season happened, at least.

I think we'll get a full series every year for the foreseeable future now. Even when Davies steps back down as show runner the series will be produced by Wolf Studios and overseen by his team.

I think production will slow down a little soon too when the spin-offs get up and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Whatever happened to Jamie Mathinson?