Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey get a load of this dipshit.

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1589692354809798663

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

quote:

“Wrestling fans have wanted – and needed – something different, authentic and better for far too long. AEW is answering the call. AEW is about more than wrestling. It’s about a movement fueled by wrestling fans who have been underserved and perhaps even disappointed by what the industry has produced in recent years.”

quote:

“I think that if people want to see the sports-based presentation in every match, there’s 33 matches in the Continental Classic, so get ready, strap in, get ready. Every Wednesday and Saturday, the same people who don’t want to see any outside interference – I’m not bullshitting, I’m dead serious – if you don’t want to see any outside interference, if you want to see straight wrestling at its very best in a great field, then put your money where your loving mouth is. Wednesdays and Saturdays, I expect to see you strapped in, because we are going to put on the best wrestling tournament with some great matches.”

2019: Wrestling fans are underserved and need something different.
2023: I announced this tournament on 11 days notice, the prize is some weird midcard title that I can't even properly explain, I won't even tell you who's in it until the day of the tournament, but I'm not gonna stuff the matches to the gills with interference for once so you better loving watch it and stop whining.

Party's over. It was a fun company while it lasted.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

lol the nerve of this mf

I’ve been to 10+ shows including the first Double or Nothing and the first Dynamite, bought every single pape for $50, watched every single week, bought the poo poo game, and bought a stupid amount of action figures. How about you stop making me embarrassed to be a fan?

There's a lot to uncover about how awful that comment is but I think this puts it pretty concisely:

https://twitter.com/ThugMcGraw/status/1726143393640640512

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

dodgeblan posted:

cody was great and he made his opponents great. Last time malakai mattered

Continuing to feud with Cody for several hundred years after he squashed him is exactly what made Malakai stop mattering and also it's pretty much the exact point that the crowds started getting sick of Cody's bullshit.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fez_machine posted:

The C2 is clearly a good faith attempt (not matter how TK spoke at the press conference) at satisfying both Danielson's desire to do a G1 before he retires without actually losing him for a month and the fans feeling alienated from AEW's pivot to showcasing Sports Entertainment at a forefront. I don't think it'll be executed well but that's on AEW's dysfunctions not on its intentions.

It was announced 11 days before it started, the prize is some extremely murky midcard title that if it's anything like the titles it's made up of, is going to be tied to two streaming service exclusive shows that nobody watches (except contradictorally, it's also really loving weird that the RoH World Championship, a title with 20 years of history is about to just be gone), and we don't even know the field and it starts today. I'm one of those people you're talking about and I don't consider it a good faith attempt to genuinely satisfy fans like me, even before but especially after Khan's comments, which absolutely do matter. At best, it's a haphazard attempt at placation, in which case....cool? I get to watch Bryan vs. Eddie and Bryan vs. Andrade at least (two matches that I've already seen with clean finishes, but whatever) and then what? I got four weeks of actual pro wrestling on this pro wrestling show, so I should shut up until next November? At worst, it's a situation where they promoted it like poo poo on purpose, so when nobody watches it, they can go "oh, well, we tried, nobody cared, more kangaroo kicks it is!"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

Everything Fez said is wrong but it is cringe if the money comment made you feel anything inside.

I don't care. I've bought every single show the man has promoted, I've bought a ticket every time he's come to my state, I pretty much only pay for cable to watch his TV shows, I've been "putting my money where my mouth is" for four years and I've been putting a a lot of it where my mouth is. Hearing him say that really upset me, I don't care if that's cringe.

smarxist posted:

how much money have you given AEW this year

Like 20 bucks on Honor Club, 300 on tickets to Dynamite and Collision and, uh, whatever every AEW and ROH PPV put together cost. I assume it's a lot.

Oh yeah and like 60 bucks on the Punk Trans Shirt and another Punk shirt and they both arrived THE DAY HE WAS FIRED. :laffo:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 22, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yesterday, I made a list of what I thought was the best wrestlers and biggest stars on the AEW roster that I thought should be in the Continental Classic if it was going to meet Khan's statement of "stars wrestling stars". For the record, of the guys already announced at that point, I would've put Bryan, Andrade and Eddie on the list and not Mark Briscoe. I left off Jericho, Copeland and Cage who are all big stars and great wrestlers but there's no way I'm asking them to wrestle six times in a month on a couple week's notice. I also left off PAC cause who the gently caress ever knows what's going on with PAC.

Claudio Castagnoli
Darby Allin*
Hangman Adam Page
Jay White
Kenny Omega
Konosuke Takeshita
Malakai Black
Orange Cassidy
MJF**
Ricky Starks
Jon Moxley
RUSH
Samoa Joe**
Swerve Strickland

And the final roster wound up being:

So you have 8 guys you could reasonably classify as "the best wrestlers and biggest stars in AEW" and four guys....not. I guess that's a decent ratio at the end of the day, and there's some stuff I really like. I like getting Jay White immediately back on the horse, he can wash the taste of that stupid main event away with a strong record in this tournament. I also like Swerve going from a huge win right into this tournament, there's a chance to really seize some momentum with him there. But there's still some pretty glaring omissions here. No Takeshita is just confusing, his utilization since beating Omega continues to be ridiculously bad. No Omega or Hangman feels pretty bad, because they're guys that have done these tournaments and excelled at them and I feel like I keep asking this question, why did we sign the Elite to these giant contracts if we're not gonna use 'em for anything important? No Malakai Black, but Brody King is just bizarre. BCC is all over this thing, but instead of House of Black's leader, we get the secondary guy, that makes the tournament feel secondary. No Orange Cassidy or Ricky Starks means that there's no currents AEW Champions in this thing, which again, hurts its perceived importance and misses one of the thing that's most fun about the G1, seeing current champions taking shocking losses to set up future defenses. I dunno. The Gold Block looks pretty cool, I guess. But I looked at the two matches for the Blue Block they have for Collision and didn't feel much of anything. I understand tournaments like these can't be wall-to-wall stars (except, counter-argument, yeah, they probably can) and need guys to take Ls to make the numbers work, but I did another pass at the roster and I don't even think they picked the right guys to be those pin-eaters. Here's another list of names:

Brian Cage
Dax Harwood
Kyle Fletcher
Lance Archer
Penta
Trent Baretta

I dunno. None of those guys are stars either, but they all sound better than Jay Lethal, Brody King, Daniel Garcia and Mark Briscoe to me. I see some really cool matches, I see some really cool first-time matches, I see some pretty insane combinations for the block finals and finals, I see some potentially really interesting directions coming out of it, I see what'll probably be a pretty nice tournament by the end. But I also see something that was thrown together pretty haphazardly, I still don't really understand exactly what the triple crown is going to be because they keep giving different explanations and I feel like this thing isn't gonna reach its full potential and if Khan is expecting people to put their money where their mouth is for six Daniel Garcia matches and six Jay Lethal matches, he's truly lost his mind.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is, thank god Miro isn't in this thing, best tournament ever purely on that basis.

* I guess actually Darby might be climbin' a fuckin' mountain during this tournament, or something? Which, fair enough, you little psychopath.

** And yes, I'm aware that MJF, as the world champion, was never gonna be in this tournament and that Samoa Joe, who is MJF's presumptive challenger for World's End, was also probably never gonna be in this tournament. That's a problem with the perceived importance of the tournament, see above. I'm also aware that I probably don't want MJF in the tournament because wrestling six times in a month, he'd probably find a way to be taking negative bumps and doing fart contests by the block finals. That's a problem with the guy they have the World Championship on.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That show was a pretty excellent case for why this "different kinds of ice cream", "wrestling is a variety show", "you gotta have something for everyone" approach sounds cute in theory but doesn't work in practice. You had three pretty good tournament matches with the crowd sitting on their hands for most of all of them, and in between you had these interminably long, goofy segments with MJF, Nick Wayne's mom, Timeless Toni Storm and Ruby Soho and Angelo Parker wanting to gently caress (and I kinda like the Ruby/Parker story, but it belongs on Rampage, not Dynamite). The show just felt extremely uneven and the crowd barely reacted to the actual wrestling parts of the show.

You can't just go from a completely different kind of show between segments and then try to cover it up with an analogy about ice cream. This is completely unsustainable.

yea ok posted:

I'll probably watch RUSH vs Jay and Moxley vs Mark. The rest sounds really bad to my proclivities.

Swerve vs. Jay Lethal was really good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's something that crowds can feel very WWE in markets in that they pop for interviews/segments but seem cold on wrestling. The fact it was Chicago which normally is a really good wrestling fan crowd for them is also a thing

Chicago barely reacting to Katsuyori Shibata hurt me deep in my soul.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

They're cultivating a new crowd, one that would mostly rather be watching WWE

Run off your wrestling fans with goofy grab-rear end storylines, charge insane amounts for tickets before caving and offering heavy discounts and BOGOs and wow-ee, lookit that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The fall into this poo poo started before Punk decided to fight someone at a stadium show and got his dumb rear end fired, but if he wasn't such a baby maybe he would have been able to help.

Wish he was still around, Khan could really use somebody to knock a few more monitors on him nowadays.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I definitely believe he was punching his way out of the company on purpose. I doubt it was for any principled wrestling reasons and more just because he had been exiled to Saturdays, MJF didn't wanna work him, the Elite didn't wanna work him and being a pariah in AEW was worse than just going back to WWE.

Which makes sense for him but sucks rear end for me. I could really, really use the Punk's Island of Misfit Toys era of Collision right about now and I have next to no interest in watching him feud with LA Knight.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In retrospect, the fact that he got a real feud out of Adam Cole with two great matches and almost no melodramatic bullshit is probably the most significant argument you can make that Hangman Page is the greatest AEW World Champion of all time.

apophenium posted:

The first matches of the Continental Classic were pretty good but why the hell aren't they doing time-calls. You can get the crowd really into matches and thereby invested in the tournament if you start teasing the draws from the start. Crowd will be hella deflated if they just ring the bell at 20 minutes for the draw. And if they start doing time-calls all of a sudden I'll have to assume that match'll be going to a draw since they didn't do time-calls in these first three matches.

I wanted AEW to do time calls in every match from the start and it's so annoying that they don't. If you don't do time calls, draws just come out of nowhere and feel deflating, like you said. If you do time calls, you'll build a sense of anticipation to it. It's so simple.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've always thought he had the best in-ring reign and at this point it's extremely difficult to argue he didn't have the best business reign. Moxley's promos in 2020 were better, but that's a pretty loving high bar.

Around Revolution, I thought MJF was on track to pass both Hangman and 2020 Moxley but then everything after Revolution happened.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
MJF cutting promos about how he was ~on a journey~ and then Jay White having to come out there and seriously engage with it and like, actually have an opinion on whether or not MJF was genuinely a changed man was so stupid. Whole thing was just junk and you could tell Jay was struggling not to roll his eyes when MJF was calling him "tofu" and pointing the mic at the crowd every 6 seconds.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
btw if you're on team "this tournament is being promoted like poo poo on purpose", I think this is the first time maybe ever that we didn't know a single match on the next episode of Dynamite besides maybe PPV weeks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

yea ok posted:

waiting to see if danielson can get cleared yet lol

That implies that whether he can get cleared or not is relevant to if he's going to wrestle or not.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Imagine how much loving better then Continental Classic would be if Shibata was in it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Suplex Liberace posted:

zero percent better there is already too much roh stink on it

Look I get that people think there's too many titles but this is a level of Letter Derangement that is simply too far. It's fuckin' Katsuyori Shibata, who cares what the letters on his belt are.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

Maybe let people hate in peace

Let me hate his hate, then!!!!!!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Eat My Fuc posted:

TK really thought that his e fedding and action figures would translate to booking wrestling. he’s a money mark running out of ideas but because he was born rich he has zero instincts or self preservation strategies. he will hire a booker or he will choke.

You're a loving piece of poo poo for thinking this. You're gonna die soon. Don't ask me how I know.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

If Punk ends up back at the fed any part of any credibility or higher ground on anything he claims to have completely doesn't exist anymore.

Punk cannot fail, he can only be failed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sure, WWE made him wrestle with MRSA and almost let him die, fired him on his wedding day, lied to him about giving him the Mania main event, and always went out of their way to directly gently caress him over but that's nothing compared to what the Bucks did and be catty

Oh, so now we don't want Punk to move on and stop holding grudges?????? :rolleyes:

Gumball Gumption posted:

Punk fans deserve their Cody moment

As in they deserve to see him finish the story in WWE

MJeff posted:

Me and EMF when the Punk and Code Connection solves racism AND transphobia on the same night by main eventing Wrestlemania*

* Night 1

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

escape artist posted:

so essentially both of the main ROH titles got vacated in a two week span

I think the ROH championship is only vacated if Eddie doesn't win the tournament.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is very funny from a posting perspective but I still don't really give a poo poo about Punk doing anything in WWE unless it's beating Roman, which, lmao.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Intruder posted:

wait when is this

he has hair right now

If I had to guess, that's Cauliflower Alley Club.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bahahahahaha Nick Hausman, first man in the history of these WWE press conferences to ask a real question.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
2022: AEW's biggest star jumps to WWE.
2023: AEW's biggest star jumps to WWE.
2024: :pray:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The thing is unless they lose their TV deal, which they won't, they always have the ability to stop being TNA.

Khan can always make the choice to pull his head out of his rear end and just go back to doing what was working.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Peanut President posted:

aew hired jeff jarrett and the show immediately went to poo poo just like when he was in the fed and wcw and tna really makes you think

List of AEW House Shows since Jarrett was hired: 5
List of Championship Matches Jarrett has had in AEW: 7

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jack Perry is trending and it's all WWE fans going "Thanks Jack :D" and disgust at the idea of him being the Devil, lol.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sydney Bottocks posted:

TBF I too express disgust at the idea of "Hollywood" Jack Perry being the Devil, it's too badass for him. He should be doing a smarmy-but-cowardly heel gimmick

There is absolutely nothing badass about the Devil as it's been presented on AEW TV.

The character as presented first wanted to attack MJF's opponent, seemingly to harm MJF's reputation, then did nothing for two months, then attacked the Acclaimed, seemingly changing to want to attack people who support MJF instead. They have done each of these actions once and besides that have done nothing but stare at the camera and make glitchy effects appear, leading us to assume that they are shooting themselves staring at a camera, taking the additional time and effort to add glitchy effects in post and sending it to AEW.

As presented, they're a dumbass twerp dork who has no idea what they're actually trying to accomplish and doesn't actually do anything. Jack Perry is a perfect fit.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wonder how Omega feels

I feel like he's probably pretty content he just gets to do his weird gamer poo poo and do one of the few things in the company that's actually good with all his buddies from Canada and DDT.

But for gently caress's sake, I wish he would get mad and fuckin' politick his way back into the title or something.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Menard posting this is whatever but something about Bennett posting this really loving annoys me. If you're so loving grateful why don't you ditch the stupid giraffe, you rear end in a top hat.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sisal Two-Step posted:

The American Dragon

This is also what I want but he's the guy who told Khan to hire Jimmy Jacobs lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anyway Khan has said if he gets hit by a bus he told his dad that Bryan is the one who gets the keys, so that's who he sees as his successor.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I always thought it was pretty obvious. Cody wanted Punk/Jericho money but had booked himself out of the main event, the crowds had turned on him, he refused to turn heel and his segments, while still drawing viewers, were increasingly becoming total trainwrecks. The dude has done well in WWE but there's no reason to rewrite history, the dude looked cooked in AEW.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
How do you feel about Drew Galloway and Tyler Black?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Copeland was smart enough to adjust his character to fit AEW when he showed up, I think Freakin' would do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fez_machine posted:

People will say the cape or him going hollywood but Ogogo was the real start of the AEW fanbase souring on Cody

I will die on the hill that it was Malakai Black. It was the second time Cody was dominantly beaten by someone, went on a hiatus to go do some TV thing, came back and got his win back and the second time it started to smell suspicious.

I really believe that the follow up to that match was the beginning of the end for Cody.