Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm just ADHD, but autism has a lot of overlap even when folks don't literally have both, so I consider us natural allies and bros. Solidarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I remember reading and re-reading the ADHD diagnostic criteria on wikipedia when I was a teenager, and still being in denial about it/not wanting to jump the gun and not trying to get help. Then in college I ask the doctor there and he basically tells me to gently caress off lol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

if you're young and have aspergers my advice to you is to MASK IT with booze and drugs, get into raving. try to spend most of your time in situations with little to no normal social expectations. MDMA is a magical drug that makes you feel normal and like you fit in with everyone! don't take too much though or it stops working

FirstnameLastname posted:

real talk MDMA cured my claustrophobia with dense crowds permanently and forever after the first use and i didn't expect it to happen or have any idea that it could it just did.
also let me walk up to large crowds of people and start talking to them like it was nothing, any of the things that'd make me hesitate or freeze up just didn't trigger, wasnt having any harsh sensory reactions from sound or light that knock the thoughts out of my head so i could interact smoothly. i was completely out of my head and able to enjoy what was actually happening. ftw
if you have autism you should be able to get it prescribed also if yo udont
itll wreck your brain if you do it a lot tho ya

:same: I couldn't dance in public before, at all, I would always think it's a trap. Took this stuff and now it's much much easier for me, and I don't even need to be using it. LSD also helped lol.

Gonna do some tonight actually :sax:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Thank you for providing the minority opinion, discussions between genii so often becomes droll

For a second I thought you were talking about the rear end in a top hat fascist civilization in Stargate Atlantis.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Imagine spending 30-50 dollars a day for several days a week to be annoying for no reason or gain.

Your local food bank could definitely use that money. Hell, your local onlyfans thot could use that money.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

FirstnameLastname posted:

lowtax was an rear end in a top hat from the start and created an abusive moderation structure and encouraged hostility all around, he didn't get out of control until the drug abuse/head injury got to him but he was always kind of a rear end in a top hat, just stil able to turn it off at the timr

but like, he thought helldump closing was a bad move, posted on kiwifarms and somethingsensitive and w/e

I still can’t believe you can buy out other people’s avatar. This is pretty much only used to cyber bully

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Pontificating rear end posted:

You definitely gotta look in peoples' eyes, they know exactly where you're looking. Personally I look away quickly while talking sometimes, but I've become way better at holding eye contact because my default is now to look at peoples' eyes the whole time. I will 'gloss-over' and unfocus my eyes while listening and holding eye contact. People can likely notice that too but to a small extent, and you always gain points for holding eye contact.

And then you lose all the points and then some when you hold the eye contact for a little too long. That's creepy and you're horrible, the whole realm shall hear of this!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i would like to change careers to be a computer toucher but I also like talking to people, what can I do without a university degree?

Desktop Support. Lots of computers and other devices to touch, lots of people to talk to. Education requirements are only nominal, I don't use my degree in the slightest. My ability to function at this job comes from building computers and installing Windows since the late 90s, having to follow documentation for game mods written by Finnish teenagers, and doing computers instead of have friends.

You can get the A+ certification if you have absolutely nothing. I never got it because I had the degree. Avoid the allure of getting any more CompTIA certs than that, as they will probably be a waste, hell, I'm not even sure A+ is worth it TBH. Security+ might be worth it if you try to work for the government, but it's 300 bucks, so leave it for later.

People will tell you Desktop Support is a foot in the door. I suppose it is. However 1. You will likely never be able to advance beyond that role in any company no matter what you try 2. You need specific experience in specific things to qualify for specific jobs. Desktop will not qualify you for any higher work than Desktop. I don't know what step 2 even is for this career, I've been doing this for 10 years, it's a dead end job lmao. I got an MS Azure cert in August and will have to leave my current job in May, so that when I'll see if escape from desktop is possible or not.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Bald Stalin posted:

For me it was getting away from just help desk/phones and more endpoint engineering. Building the images, app/patch deployment, identity (AD and Okta). With these roles you get exposure to the tools/platforms: sccm/intune, wsus, AD/GPO, azure etc. from there you hop across to sysadmin/wintel since the tools are the same. Or go cybersec ops or network.

I'd love to do that, but I get into a loop of "Didn't do the thing, isn't qualified to do the thing, will never be allowed to perform thing-doing". All these people work from home, so I can't network with them or get any mentoring. My last job before the pandemic, they had their special boy that they were training for this, and nobody else could participate. I would have to learn the whole enchilada by myself with no access to a real environment, just to hear I have no experience and thus will never be allowed to get any because I do not have it already.

That's the wall I keep hitting. If it was just "sit at your desk and do the work and eventually you will learn enough" that's one thing, but the "you have to convince someone to give you real training/a job" is where I get stopped. I actually asked an Azure person here directly for mentoring after they gave a presentation and specifically said they were welcome to this, and got no replies. When I go to apply for Azure jobs, I'll have nothing to tell them despite working in a place that uses it because they did not give me the time of loving day.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 02:15 on Jan 5, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

I want to build a vermiponics system so bad rn

It's all fun and games until they team up with a rogue AI and take over your ship.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

euroshopper posted:

also i don't understand how neurotypicals get the desire to gently caress random strangers they see on a sidewalk. it's really hard for me to develop crushes that are deeper than "this person has a cute face"

On the flip side, I've been nursing one crush for almost 19 years :piss:

I've identified this limerence as an intrusive thought pattern rather than a crush, since the person it's about I haven't seen in 13 years and I maintain a voluntary embargo on all info related to them so as not to give my brain any new data. It still loving sucks because I've wanted out of this poo poo for 18.5 years, but it never goes away. I'm getting married soon for gently caress's sake, terminate the loop already.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Karach posted:

Is there any connection between childhood trauma and autismogenesis (coining a term)? I definitely see some overlap in symptoms between cptsd folks and autism havers (some big differences too though). Not implying anything, just curious if anybody has read about this.

No, autism can be identified very early in life (at 2 year IIRC) and it seems to be that you're born that way.

However, I only have ADHD, but thanks to abuse and social isolation, I got mashed into a shape that could fit in an autistic mold :v:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

Moving gives me anxiety so I usually start to pack things as early as possible, even months in advance; with daily essentials being packed on the day of. It makes the task of moving seem a lot less daunting if I can spread the packing out over a longer period of time. Once I'm at the new place I will unpack everything as quickly as possible.

:yeah: This is how we're doing it now, slowly filtering out junk and then packing the remains. And we have to do this with 2 locations into one truck since we're getting married and leaving town.

Since it's cross country and we're making 3 trips, one by plane, one by car, one by car and moving truck, I want to make mission patches and name it like a space program lol, since there be Mission 1, 2 and 3. I also will say some variation of "capturing the point" once we arrive with our poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

011824_3 posted:

I get whatever I want for an entire lifetime Autists

Considering how much money you blow with no supervision on this site I'm guessing trust fund?