Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

rojay posted:

Is this where we complain about Astarion's name not being lore-correct for an elf?

Hmm, what would his name be if it were lore-correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

BrianWilly posted:

Tbh no elves in this game are lore-correct for elves. They all just feel like regular humans with pointy ears.
v:v:v

Actually, my high elf wizard is completely lore-correct :colbert:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Someone posted earlier that Lae'zel's voice actor Devora Wilde has been streaming her BG3 playthrough. It's great because she's basically a normal person and it's nice to see that perspective. It's on Twitch I think but I've been watching it on Youtube since it's there as well

Latest episode: romance with Minthara

Watch it here

Quote: "This is so difficult, just like life" :allears:

Edit: earlier she was doing the big grove fight, got encumbered in the middle, and went to the inventory and sent all the extra weapons and armour to camp. Except that included the armour her character was wearing. So her gith fighter has just been running around in her underwear for a long time now. She picked up a backup weapon somewhere though

jaete fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 12, 2023

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Waffleopolis posted:

So to a new and somewhat lost idiot like myself, what combination of race and class should I choose? You can also suggest what attributes I should look into.

I agree with those saying don't worry about it too much, I played on normal difficulty and was a wizard with like 9 charisma, did a whole lot of persuade/intimidate/whatever rolls, lost like half of them but that doesn't matter too much and is actually pretty hilarious sometimes, everything worked out fine and I didn't really have any issues in the game

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Someone mentioned a barbarian/wizard multiclass earlier and now I can't stop thinking about it

How would this work? Somebody make this work, please. It needs to work, it would be awesome

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

If you're doing a Magic Missile build for your MC, definitely plan on passing the zaith'isk checks yourself.

Hmm, what do you mean by "yourself"? In the creche I had Lae'zel go into the machine and use it, and then it was my main character doing the rolls. Somehow I passed all of them and got the bonus action thing - on my main character, not Lae'zel.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

I believe the last check requires a DC 30 Arcana to claim the zaith'isk power for your own, which at that point in the game can be extremely difficult to hit. It's much safer to go in yourself.

I can't remember exactly what happened but I think at the end something failed, probably I failed a roll, and the dream visitor friend showed up and pulled Lae'zel out of the machine. Then I got the bonus action thing anyway. Or something like that. I also never realised Lae'zel can get an ability score minus, I think she got that due to the failure, but I only noticed like 20 hours later.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Zirak posted:

Has anyone else run into a bug since Patch 5 where Mol and Raphael no longer play chess? After the intro scene when getting to Last Light Raphael is on his chair but Mol is standing next to hers and doesn't take it. Talking to her just has her say a line about waiting for someone else. Talking to Raphael starts dialogue without the chess match. It's a bummer as I really liked that scene. Googling it seems to confirm it's a bug from Patch 5 but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered it?

Wait, what scene is this? I didn't see it in my playthrough, but Mol was alive and well and I did that quest with the kids in the grove. Are there some other prereqs for this?

Dang, the amount of stuff in this game I missed, even though I did everything I could find

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Kolodny posted:

Especially since if you look at the crystal ball in Devil's Fee after killing Raphael you see Mephistopholes eating Raphael.

(Act 3) Wait, what? Another thing I missed

Tried to search on Youtube just now but can't find any videos of this specific part of this

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Big fan of the very rare sorcerer-wizard beef dialogue option (act 3 spoiler).

I had the same dialogue option as a wizard, so this one doesn't seem sorcerer specific

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Who voiced He Who Was?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Always turn on turn-based after a fight ends and manually turn off concentration

Yeah there's a delay of like ten seconds between exiting turn-based mode (automatically) before you can turn it back on. One of my relatively few complaints about the game

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

jaete posted:

Who voiced He Who Was?

My dude here sounds very Finnish (50 s in), can't find name in credits though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsDz-MTdNeE&t=50s

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It legitimately sucks that if you’re a rogue who has for example, built up sleight of hand via proficiency AND expertise, plus your dexterity, that you shouldn’t shred a dc10 lock every single time like you’re the lock picking lawyer. You’re an expert. You don’t just randomly fail some rote thing you’re an expert at.

Can't disagree with the sentiment, but you might want to pick a better example, since my Astarion (as a straight up rogue, no multiclassing) at some point got this thing called Reliable Talent, which is a passive that ensures he cannot roll less than 10 on any lockpick or trap disarm task :v:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

mycot posted:

Is there any way of making Astarion useful in his default class short of outright respeccing him? I gave him two fancy daggers but rogues seem extremely limited especially since they don't get the double attack at level 4, and since I'm already playing as Bard I already have a lockpick and traps guy.

I had him as straight up rogue to level 12, he was pretty good. At first went with arcane trickster subclass since that was "recommended" by the game, but the spells seemed very limited in utility so I respecced him to assassin instead. Also gave him the alert feat and I had some good gear for him since I did literally every quest and area and thing I could find and looted everything. My Lae'zel (straight up fighter, battle master spec) also had alert, so those two would usually go before the enemy, Lae'zel would run up to the bad guys and start chopping after which Astarion could sneak attack and whatnot all day long.

Normal difficulty mind you and yeah he'd do more damage as monk/bard/whatever as everyone is saying, but it was fine. Rogues get some excellent gear around level 4-5 in act 1 iirc

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I noticed at some point that if you mouseover a character it shows you their statuses including whether they're concentrating on something or not

Of course, this only works if you mouseover a character other than the one you're currently on... otherwise it would be too useful :v:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Ashcans posted:

I had no idea you could just keep the wand and use that dude as a summon, I either let Mayrina have her hosed up life or deliberately abandoned it so she should move on. So I guess there is better loot there then I realized!

Speaking of that wand, did they fix the bug where you basically couldn't use it in combat, since it somehow required two actions to use?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

If you have Marcus vouch for you at the gate cos the tieflings are dead, you can rat him out and then if you have Alert you can kill him in one turn before he summons loads of hands and dips

Wait what? What gate? Rat him out to who? Summons what now?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Thundarr posted:

It's also convenient for like the three dragons in BG3 that are shown to use a dragonborn form so that they can hang out with normal size people while not being huge.

Hmm, Ansur, Qudenos, the mind-controlled red dragon on top of the brain, Echo of Abazigal... yeah not sure if 3 or 4, the last one kinda depends maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

If all you wanna do is nuke and learn all the best spells to nuke and never have to worry about multi-classing or aiming then you can't go wrong with an Evocation Wizard.

Yep, this

I would also add that an evocation wizard (like any other wizard) can still cast haste, hold person, slow etc. Wizards are good!