Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can even do it by splashing them with Create Water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

roomtone posted:

I have the multiclass to level 20 mod installed and I just realised, getting to level 12 on my main class, that if I try to level up again the game just completely crashes and closes cos level 13 doesn't exist. It's weird how locked in the levelling stuff is.

I guess now I have to just ignore the level up button for the remainder of the playthrough. But that's gonna be a bummer because I like levelling up and it makes a lot of the stuff I have left to do feel a bit more pointless. I guess this is what I get for installing Fast XP and wanting to go nuts at the end of the game with level 20 characters.

Kinda running out of steam on this game though. The city is just sort of boring, I don't like exploring it. I just want to end it.

skill issue

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

What is it about BG3 that inspires nerds to act so arrogant? I swear I've seen more people's intelligence insulted around this one specific game than I have anywhere else. Lol

It's because it's so popular that more people are talking about it. People are just like this about everything and you usually don't see so much of that concentrated on one game because it's rare for a videogame to have a true pop monocultural moment across a wide enough demographic, at least in Europe and America, to notice.

On that note,

Tonetta posted:

idk but I've never seen a fanbase so neurotic over the most banal poo poo. I'm in a fb group and people get into full blown fights about how you're supporting toxic behaviors if you find astarian hot and how if you don't want to bang shart first you're literally wrong and must be gay (or straight, whichever applies)

Bet you a lot of this kind of discourse would normally be scattered across dozens of different fandoms all being about as crazy about their own niche things, but this game just kind of got everyone's attentions focused onto one place so they can all be terrible about it instead, at least for a while.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure that honor goes to the host's pet guard goose

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the life experience is being chased by a goose

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It's any popular game honestly. It's just ridiculous how invested people get. Just the other day, some butthurt person in another thread was insisting that people on SA and elsewhere were straight up lying about enjoying Cyberpunk 2077 for internet clout. Like, sorry it broke your heart but don't be that kinda of dick mate.

Frankly any popular media, period. Or really any hobby or topic someone might emotionally invest themselves in. It's the same impulse that makes academia or politics as vicious as they are, just made more ridiculous for its pettiness and lack of stakes.

BG3 isn't unique in this regard. Far from it! It's just popular and recent.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Astarion's Charisma is low because he's built using strict point buy and you need a dump stat or two if you want to afford a higher stat somewhere else.

In other words don't think about it, D&D mechanically sucks rear end.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not that I'm saying the point buy system itself sucks, because the alternative is much worse, but really I don't pay attention to the stats of the game outside of what they mean mechanically because it's not like D&D as a game system is all that well-thought through anyway.

It's got two attributes that mean "muscle" and divides them by offensive and defensive muscle, with one as a stat tax for survival. It's also got two attributes that mean "how much you know" but handwaves one as intuitive intelligence and life experience rather than erudite intelligence. It's very stupid and you should engage with it mechanically rather than on any deeper substantive level.

Also you can respec them at any time, for a price, they're not a roleplaying tool they're just functions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Morrow posted:

The amusing bit is Halsin and Minsc have their stats reworked when they become companions: both have strength scores as NPCs that reflect their rippling muscles that are then tossed because it's not a good build for their classes (since Minsc defaults to a ranged fighter(?!?) and Halsin should always be wildshaped and never need his physical stats).

lmao

nice

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I think i used the teleport flourish once, it was pretty cool!

I wish the range on its Teleport followup was like twice as long.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean they chose to include that path, not sure why it wouldn't result in an alternate path with a comparable amount of content. It's handled in an incredibly lazy way. Why bother giving the players the option to begin with?

I'm fine with it, they have some reactivity for an evil route but not nearly to the degree as you would if you were doing a good route, and the assumption that you should be able to be evil is just kind of baked into the game format so they'd be criticized if they didn't let you. They just didn't want to support it to the same degree as a good playthrough.

This was a deliberate choice because by the dev's logic, if you're going out of the way to make the world an emptier and more dreary place then it makes sense that you miss out on the content that comes from having a healthier and more vibrant world with actual characters living in it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

It's OK to be upset at certain types of content in the media you consume, but saying that the person who put it in should be fired, i.e. a video game cat is more important than a real human, does not demonstrate to me that you are overflowing with empathy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Azran posted:

It's especially dumb since autofail on a 1 has never been a thing in any edition. It's a boneheaded houserule lots of people use due to cargo cult behavior from whatever epic d&d memes they read on Facebook or whatever.

It's a houserule for skill checks but not combat rolls and it's a logical enough step to apply that rule outside of combat contexts that most people don't realize critical success/failure on skill checks is a houserule.

For the sake of people in the thread who might not be aware of this, many of the more modern ttrpg systems simply streamline the logic entirely by operating on the principle that a roll should generally only be required if there would be interesting or compelling consequences of failure. As implementing this in a crpg puts a lot more burden on the people creating the content, there are not many video games that would qualify. Many crpgs bypass rolls entirely by simply having stat checks in dialogue. But Disco Elysium both has passive checks and active rolls whose consequences are much more interesting than the typical pass-fail binary result. And in that game the majority of the most interesting, compelling, and entertaining outcomes emerge from failing skill checks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

congrats on BG3 for winning the only GOTY award that's worth winning, The SA Games Forum GOTY

space uncle posted:

Halfling Karlach romance is worth it just for the scenes of her kneeling down to smooch you.

Big Gegeruju hours there

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That doesn’t even make sense.

It's a principle of game theory. In the design sense, not the youtube trash content sense.

Simply put, enemies can't hurt you if they're already dead.

This is why action economy and front-loaded damage are strong in games where it is possible to remove units from the board in one or two turns each, especially if you can remove more than one. Any unit that is dead before it can act is a unit that will not be dealing any damage to you at all in that battle.

Defense is valued more highly in games where quick removal of enemies is not by design not possible and fights are more likely to be long and drawn out affairs. Better defenses mean suffering less attrition on your resources (including HP). JRPG boss battles or Monster Hunter are clear examples of this, even if a sufficiently skilled player can survive a MH battle without defenses and near-perfect play. In which case higher defense shifts some burden off of the player in the moment of that battle and onto their gear and the acquisition thereof. In JRPG boss battles player skill is generally not a factor and as a strict numbers game, defense is just another number to manage.

Defense is devalued compared to offense if you can remove enemies from play quickly and easily, should your build allow it. In games like XCOM or Rogue Trader this gets demonstrated a lot and why certain classes/characters are considered meta in them. If Arch-Militant Argenta can delete an entire enemy force in one or two turns (line of sight permitting), you're not going to get much value out of Vanguard Abelard's ability to tank hits and counterattack in melee, especially if he has yet to even move into range.

BG3, especially on higher difficulties, is a game where it is unlikely for you to be capable of deleting enemies quite that quickly without effort or conveniently placed precarious ledges, but burning a high level spell slot or other class-specific resources (ki points, bardic inspiration) to ensure one high value target cannot act, or a large group of flimsier but no less dangerous enemies are denied their turns, can still tilt the battle in your favor pretty quickly.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Can't most if not all of the spells we're discussing be cast outside of combat, or am I mistaken? Because if they can, then the action economy during combat is a moot point since you can just start buffed and then take your turns hitting the badmans.

Sure, but again it's about getting value out of your resources. You can definitely burn a bunch of spell slots on stuff you won't get any value out of if you want. It's not like the game is hard enough that you'll be punished for it outside of wasting your own time, but if you just want to win quickly and efficiently there's better uses than, say, Stoneskin, the spell that started this discussion.

Edit: okay, the game *is* that hard in some fights until you get to level 5 and the classes start getting their limiters released

Runa fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 14, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If I did that I wouldn't be able to yeet barrels full of kobold at people

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If I had more than three Karlach could make a hobby out of it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

D&D5e swung too hard in the direction of simplifying things away from how heavily videogamey 3.X was so now there's very little gear progression in tabletop and almost no use for gold, even compared to old AD&D.

BG3 tries to correct from that a little bit even if the bounded accuracy design principle means you get flooded with +1 generics and weird conditionals or short-rest cooldowns.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

JBP posted:

I mean in tabletop you can sell players a base of operations, horses, whatever else that makes their rp feel cool. Gold isn't that crucial for buying items and stuff but you can definitely make getting money a worthwhile endeavour for the more mercantile minded player.

A barbarian still gonna run around tombs in a loincloth with a mallet tho.

Yeah that's true. It's just kind of funny that gold is kind of vestigial in pure game mechanics terms. It's reached sort of a weird halfway point between 3.x's magic item shopping list crunch and the sort of wealth abstraction you see in more modern games.

(It's kind of buckwild to know that abstracted wealth exists as an option for campaigns in Battletech, the game that has basically cornered the niche of mercenary company financial management sim.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yes that is why vegeta is named that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Actually now that I think about it a gear/loot Randomizer would be pretty interesting. Maybe only interesting chests or shops though, there's a lot of chaff containers.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I imagine it's pretty easy to skip the underdark as the breadcrumbs can come pretty late and they're presented as wholly optional when they do.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

What's with everyone's hate for RTWP?

Because the most popular crpgs with rtwp gameplay adapt a turn-based system, D&D, into real time and suck rear end in the process. There's a lot of great rtwp games but they don't advertise themselves as such because people only use that acronym in the context of crpgs. Total War, any Mimimi tactical stealth game, action rpgs that let you pause and enter commands while paused (FF7R got mentioned and I can't really disagree that it's technically rtwp). Good games with rtwp were designed for it from the ground up, like any other game would.

Bad rtwp adapts a turn-based system into real time and does so poorly, without adding anything to make the real time tactical element interesting. It basically leaves you with a simple rts without any interesting micro or macro gameplay. The Infinity Engine games, and their imitators, all have this as a problem.

Runa fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 22, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think it's a small miracle that Larian was dead set on convincing WotC to give them the license to make BG3, they cut their teeth on turn-based crpgs and they went in with the mission statement of, okay let's bring back the Baldur's Gate series but make the gameplay as good as the story this time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

BG2 and BG3 have exceptional gameplay but I feel like it's in spite of D&D and not because of it.

As good as BG3 is I'd wager it'd be even better with a system that Larian designed from the ground up

I do think it's good that they're working with adapting a system not completely designed in-house, the D:OS games did have some quirks that a lot of people found annoying. I strongly dislike D&D5e but I have to admit that within those bounds Larian made something pretty great, and even made some common-sense/QoL changes to the system that are so sensible that it's a wonder the original ttrpg didn't include them.

The answer is because 5e's lead designer, Mike Mearls, is a hack and a moron. So much of a moron that he helped one of 5e's playtesters, an accused serial rapist, dox and track down his accusers and their friends.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The impression I get from people who actually enjoyed those rtwp games leaned heavily on magic because, as adaptations of AD&D, a huge chunk of the actual game mechanics (spitballing from distant memory I'll say about 75% of the PHB) were in the magic system and, at least purely mechanically (which is the only context that matters in a single player crpg) any class that didn't interact with it was basically either ablative meat armor or the designated thief skill jockey.

So you're basically playing it like a moderate-micro rts army, Attack Move guys in the front and the casters you actually mechanically engage with in the back. But let's be real Shadow Tactics or any given Total Warhams puts the gameplay of Icewind Dale to shame.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 22, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Granted this is why jrpgs have an auto-battle option.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You can complain to Art Cullagh about the current Flaming Fists before you actually get to the city so you clearly know the Fist has Problems.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

you can even reply "yes, and?" which gets a great reaction from him

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Was I supposed to end up at an adamantine forge before going to the goblin camp? Lol I fell into a hole in some thieves den and haven't seen the sun in ten hours.

Happens all the time, you're fiiiine

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That armor is a nice bonus but if dealing 50 damage instead of 100 is tickling compared to the rest of your team then your team damage output is probably high enough that you don't really need it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Chilchack philosophy. Just here to pick locks, peek traps, and drop 50 damage a turn. Anything else is not in the job description.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beasteh posted:

I found the owlbear cub in the goblin camp and did the same thing I did with Patches where I let it smell me and the narrator said it would go to my camp

Then I killed everyone by spiking the punch and murdered the leaders

Now I'm in the underdark post grove resolution and Patches is here but not the owlbear cub

What have I missed/done wrong?

Kill absolutely every hostile goblin, including the sleeping ones on top of the ruins. Then after a few rests it should show up. Seems like it has lower priority than companion or tadpole events though so you may need to get those out of the way if you've been putting off long rests.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

I was planning to get Minthara for this honour mode run I'm doing. I've got an evil Priestess of Lolth as my pc.

So anyways, I get to the goblin camp and I start the fight with Minthara and I have Lae'zel open the fight with a two hander hit with great weapon master enabled. It hits Minthara for like 28 or something. All the while I'm planning to enable non lethal attacks on my next turn. Well before that can even happen Minthara goes and she decides to try moving away from Lae'zel. Lae'zel crits her with an attack of opportunity and kills her.

I probably should have put attacks of opportunity as prompts under my reactions instead of automatic lol. RIP Minthara. I'll get you next run.

Next time you can just turn Non Lethal Attacks right from the start, there's no penalty for doing so. Hell you can leave it on all game, when enemies get KO'd they're flagged as dead anyway unless they're just temporarily hostile.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

The tadpole did it.
Though let's be honest both him and SH should pretty much trigger a fall for certain paladins especially paladins of like lathander or selune.
Edit: speaking of paladins of X who has the funnest dialog options other than selune/evil gods?

Paladins in 5e are not deity-based but instead are subject to principle-based Oaths that determine their subclass. BG3's selection is limited to Ancients (life), Devotion (honorable justice), Vengeance (FFXIV Dark Knight's justice), and Oathbreaker (the Way of Oops).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm running a mod for deity options for paladins.

Oh fair enough

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

D&D has notoriously had a longrunning issue with Always Alignment, directly related to the problems with the concept of codifying personal values as "Alignments." Alignment is both the laziest and least interesting way to treat morality or agency in a setting and having designated Always Evil entries was always a sign of hack writing.

Even in Tolkien's work, having Always Evil races was a weakness of his worldbuilding and he was deeply conflicted about its implications once he had time to reflect.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thuryl posted:

Alignment is a legacy of when D&D was a wargame and your alignment was what team you're on. You can see this in some of the really weird baggage of early editions like alignment languages, which are special secret languages that are spoken by everyone of a particular alignment and instantly forgotten if you change to a different alignment.

lmao

that does explain Alignment languages. the explanation doesn't stop it from being dumb as hell but now I understand the thought processes behind it