Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I used a similar build for my MC and it works extremely well.

An INT Bard/Wizard only loses out on a couple of offensive Bard spells and on the number of Wizard spells learned, but neither is an issue when Wizard offensive spells are much better and in return you get almost full advantages of both Bard and Wizard classes.
I threw 1 level of Lore Cleric of Mystra in there as well, because you can never have enough skill proficiencies and splashing Cleric into anything makes it stronger.

Just use the set int to 17 circlet that is in act 1. My paladin has a 17 int and 18 dex due to act 1 equipment and I basically never switch for any checks

The 18 dex gloves are just nutty, btw. Basically, you go first every battle and hit way more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Or I'll use the Diadem of Arcane Synergy to murderize everything instead.

I'm not sure if I fully understand that helmet. So if you give an enemy a condition, then you gain arcane synergy. Arcane syngery gives your weapon extra damage based on their spell modifier?

So, a 20 charisma bard would deal with 5 extra damage to their weapon? I'm not really seeing the brokenness, but I am assuming I am missing a lot.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Very clever. So far, my plan is to hit things really hard, and if they are still alive, then chug a potion of speed and keep hitting.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Her husband saying "bibberbang" is my favorite line in the game. I always talk to him every time I shop in act 1.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

So I rolled a warlock out the gate. After playing with my friends in our coop campaign, they informed me warlock's whole gimmick is eldritch blast. And it is extremely strong, but it also makes a lot of my other damage spells feel redundant.

Anyone have thoughts on the class being one-note in this way? Should I consider switching to a different casting class?

I tend to use cloud of dagger or hunger of hagar and then eldritch blast. Hopefully, even pushing them back into the AoE

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't expect to be called a cuck in this game. I guess I will murder you.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Once per game things that it's easy to forget you have:
Level 10+ clerics can use Divine Intervention
Maximally evil Durges can use Power Word: Kill. Get wrecked, Raphael.

If you want to get really cheesy, you can buy followers, use their divine intervention, and then fire them.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Comstar posted:

Attempt #2 never got off the ship., The devil killed the mindflayer and cut me down one turn away from the console. Thus ends Comstar the Ranger.

I probably should have rescued that cleric.

Shadowheart is great because she can command the devil to drop his sword. You get a free flaming sword, and the ally takes way last damage.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Morrow posted:

Just kill the vendor, I did that accidentally one time and realized I saved so much money.

Or you can respec with withers. Stay at level 1. Give the vendor 400 gold. Now the 3x cost multipler is reduced to 2.5X.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I just had a fisherman get mad at me for disarming and stealing the spear of a sahuagin that was actively trying to kill said Fisherman.

Sorry I saved your life wrong, bro.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

JBP posted:

Also the reason they stay invis is that they're passing Dex checks. I usually throw fire bombs at the area to tick a damage and reveal them.

If you are feeling cheesy, just ping the enemy from their portrait. It just shows you where the invisible enemy is.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the fastest way to break an oath of devotion without killing the two tieflings?

I think you can do it, but turning on passive where you don't kill people, then hit the rogues at the temple. Then, kill them when they are knocked out.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I had a ton of issues with the cazador fight. Here was my solution

First off, spread out the team slightly before the fight. cazador can do a nasty AoE with his buff easily doing 70 damage to the whole party. the solution is that he won't do it if he doesn't have enough targets. You don't have to spread too far. I still had everyone on the starting circle platform.

Second, summons are your best friend in this battle. Anyone who stands on the circle gets the free extra damage and temporary health every turn. This also takes the buff away from Cazador and stops the timer of the fight. A simple spiritual weapon can hold its own against multiple minions with the buff. The more summons you bring, the better.

Third, use the spell flame wall and daylight. daylight not only hurts cazador but also knocks him off of mist form and gives him a disadvantage on rolls. Cazador always charged me, so I put a little flame wall in between the pillars to damage any minion that rushed into our fight. That did a bunch of damage throughout the fight and allowed me to shove anything after I attacked.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Medullah posted:

Faerun doesn't have the Internet, rumors of people dying happen all the time.

Hell, people die all the time and come back. An adventurer could easily have a dozen stories of their death, and all of them be truthful.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Haha, I think I found literally the worst ally in the game. Farslayer of Bhalal Ghislev from the trial to enter the bhaal.

I used my control undead and thought, "Oh man, a level 11 undead that literally cast the highest level spell in the game. He is gonna be awesome."

First off, he prevents the trial from ending, so I had to wait literally 100 turns for the door to unlock.

Second, all he does is cast benign transportation: teleport to go back to his starting location. During my Orion fight, he just kept teleporting away and then ran back to the fight and teleported away again. It is the funniest thing I have seen all game.

Then I rested, which broke the control undead, so he started combat with me... and teleported away.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there any effect to being openly antagonistic to the Emperor or do you still end up at the same final decision? (assuming you get the hammer)

I didn't expect you to actually try to stab me. Oh well, never the less...*insert same story beat*

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Medullah posted:

I can't imagine playing this game without one character with Speak with Animals. Talking to Scratch and the Owlbear Cub is a highlight of the game.

If you don't mind being a little meta gaming

You can always just pickpocket
Volo while he is in camp. There are no consequences of failing a pickpocket, and he always gets a few thieving tools and speak with animal potions every long rest. I do it just because finding those around the map can be a little annoying but not expensive.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oops I really dropping the ball on my honor run. I got halsin killed, thinking he could tank Dror Ragzlin. That dude is way stronger than I remember him being in tactician mode. Luckily, I managed to sneak out before a full party wipe, but, uh, yeah, act 2 gonna be a bit of bummer.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The cleric of light already gets scorching rays for multiple radiant orb triggers. You can stack with that hat that gives arcane acuity on fire spell damage.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Zodium posted:

found a fun new way to kill the goblin camp: shapeshift to dragonborn or some other race i never use, throw returning pike killing some goblin instantly, then use my bonus action to boots of speed dash, run away from combat and do it again. drop shapeshift and attitude is back to 0.

Or just poison most of them.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Zodium posted:

solo hm run attempt #2 almost just ended to another double crit, this time from gandrel. drat that guy hurts. 60 hp just went away like that. very happy i went shield of thralls for my first illithid power right now or i'd be very dead.

I'm not doing a solo, but honor mode doesn't mess around. Dror Ragzlin can do, if I'm doing math right, main hit 1d10+5 (6-15), martial advantage 2d6 (2-12), absolute power 1d6 (1-6), second attack 1d10+5 (6-15), and then repulsor 1d6 (1-6). That is 16 - 54 before critical hits. He will use reckless attacks to give himself an advantage if he misses. And don't you dare heal/buff an ally near him, or else every enemy near him gets a free action surge with his 1d4 leadership aura bonus damage.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Docjowles posted:

I simply surprise attacked from the rafters and threw poo poo at him til he died without ever taking an action :shrug:

Oh, there is definitely a way to handle every fight. But if you aren't planning ahead things will absolutely kill you in a turn.

I lost to Dror and got halsin killed, but a character survived so I could revive my team. Round two of the fight was a hold person turn 1, and he died before getting an action.

I also say people say use command drop weapon or heat metal on him while looking up his stats.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ah yeah, my honor mode run has finally started it hit the critical mass. My team is finally getting online. Finally got to level 6, and the power spike is crazy.

My durge is a dual hand crossbow swords bard with the +dex clothing, acid damage on weapon hit, and dagger of mountain king for some more critical. 1d6+7 four times and an off-hand hit is wild. And I'm going full parasite build, so each hit has cull the weak to really go nuts.

My shadowheart is going on a radiating orb build. It has felt a bit weak until level 6. With two divinity charges, it is incredibly easy to give multiple enemies 10 radiating orb while dealing decent AoE damage. I'm still in Act 1, so the build really pops off in Act 2.

Wyll and Lae'zel are just standard pure warlock and fighter. Hunger of Hadar to shut down ranged enemies. Lae'zel is just a beat stick. I'll probably switch lae'zel for Minthara in act 2.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Docjowles posted:

Once I get the gear I am very interested in screwing around with the radiating orb life cleric build. Have not run that one before but hear good things.

I went with light cleric over life. I really like the spells you get and 2d10 plus character level radiant damage AoE is quite nice. I am much more a best defense is killing or ccing enemies and use heal potions over using actions to heal myself.

I know you are talking about act 2 with the gear, but a flaming sphere makes the early game so much easier. The sphere deals 2d6 and then has an aura that deals 2d6. You can one-shot a lot of early enemies with the aura alone. The flaming sphere on melee enemies and spiritual weapon on the casters/rangers was my shadowheart turn 1 almost every fight.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The only build for Eldritch Knight that I can see is a weird heat build or weird arcane acuity build. Eldritch Knight probably works best when strength is a dump stat, and you just chug hill giant strength potions.

Heat build

Zariel Tielfing, hell fire great axe, thermodynamic gloves, and hat of fire acuity.

Smack the enemy 2 times and searing smite. This gives you the maximum heat ability of 7 and 4 arcane acuity. Then you action surge and use burning hand (cone upcast 4d6 fire) or chromatic orb (aoe upcast 3d8) with plus 11 with heat and aucity.

On anything but honor mode is probably worse damage wise than just a normal fighter.

Acuity build

This one is probably better. Helmet of arcane acuity and gloves of battle mage. Smack 3 times for 6 arcane acuity. Next, turn hold person, action surge for 3 critical hits. Combine that with the great weapon master feat, and you go for 4 critical hits.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

feller posted:

If you wait til lvl 3 to fight them, calm emotions from a cleric makes that fight waaay nicer

Honestly, I didn't want to fight ANYTHING until level 4.

you can climb up the wall before the intellect devourer to avoid them. Talk to gale. Talk to Astarian. I do the Grove fight, but you can fly past it. disguise self into a female drow. Talk your way through the blight village, save the gnome, talk your way through the gate and temple.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

EorayMel posted:

Buy as much clown facepaint as possible in the circus

It very much bums me out that the clown face curse is part of the not getting the moon lantern or bell. https://bg3.wiki/wiki/A_Clown_in_Town_(Condition)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Medullah posted:

There's also the option of just stealing everything if you're worried about money. Either via pickpocketing or using the bag exploit to get everything if you have no morals like me on my second run.

Stealing from Volo when he in your camp is the best. He tries to complain about the theft to someone, but no one in camp cares, and then he accepts his fate. And as a plus, he hates you.

With the slight of hand ring, cat grace clothing and proficiency in slight of hand makes it pretty easy to steal all of his stuff every day/level up.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

For another crime, you can just kill the shop vendor that sells the cat grace clothing. She is all by herself in the mountain area and she is a jerk. On honor mode, that is a saving of over 2,000 gold in act 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

I could be wrong, but I believe vendors don't have everything available as loot. You risk her not dropping it.

As far as I can tell, you lose almost all the non-unique items from their inventory and gold. You get all their unique items. In my honor mode run, I just stole as much as I could from her until I got caught and then knocked her out. There was some patch where you got all their loot when you knocked them out over kill, but that seems to be patched out.