Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Have they ever said why they decided initiative needs to be rolled on a d4? At least it isn't as stupid as D:OS2's initiative "system".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I'm actually legit upset that Grub gets fed to you by Orin disguised as Yenna. Straight up gently caress the devs for including something like this. This is why I quit playing this game.

It's total bs. Why doesn't it count towards your rations total on long rest???

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

What is honor mode talking about when it says it has restrictions on action economy? I tried googling only to run into the wonderful world we live in now where every articles is just copy pasted or ai generated and none of them actually explained what that meant.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

see here: https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Guide:Undocumented_Patch_5_updates#Action_economy

basically, Haste only ever gets you one extra action/attack, the hasted action doesn't benefit from the extra attack from 5 levels of martial or whatever.

So a level 12 paladin has two attacks normally, and hasted would get one action/attack, for three total. In non-Honour mode, the attacks are fully doubled, from two to four.

edit: in non-HM, Haste doubles your attacks. in HM, it only adds +1 attack, which is more in line with tabletop rules

Thanks. drat that change to mind sanctuary sucks. Hope you passed all those machine checks.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

Halsin sucks and it's not even about him directly, it's just that the game seems very intent in making Tav flirt with him. Even the most innocuous lines end up with him flirting. Like, even his "get to know" dialog openers tend to be phrased kinda flirty.

Probably the direct result of him being added as a companion because early access players were so thirsty for him. I haven't done a run with Minthara though to see if she's the same.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Entropic posted:

The romance scene with Lae'zel in act III where she :pervert:wakes you up so you can watch the sunrise together:pervert: is so damned sweet and wholesome. She has my favourite player relationship arc of the ones I've seen so far. It's especially great given where you start with her in Act I and how so many people complain that she comes on so strong and is abrasive and one-note.

I romanced her as a joke because she was the funny aggro frog lady and then I fell in love with her for real irl

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Mr. Maggy posted:

I definitely broke Oath of Vengeance accidentally like 5 minutes into Act 1 before

exquisite tea posted:

I know that bargaining with auntie will definitely break your oath in Act 1, thankfully I parked Astarion right next to her to do the deed instead. Plausible deniability, baby!!

Not opting to immediately kill the tieflings who've captured Lae'zel will also break your oath.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

JBP posted:

My question is how could they be worse than Hasbro lol

What has hasbro been doing wrong with dnd? Isn’t 5e the most successful version of dnd ever? Genuinely asking.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Lae'zel is the best romance

I turned myself into a pickle squid for her and she was like uh that's cool but you're gross now, I'm going to free my people with my new bf Orion, so I killed myself on the docks immediately after.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

Is the hat of uninhibited kushigo just garbage or is there some context or mechanic that makes it actually worthwhile? Even at very early act two I can't see myself picking this over other options.

-caster variant monk that no one plays might be able to get some use out of it somehow
-eventually forms part of complete kushigo set for aesthetics

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Shard posted:

Considering Jaheira should be level like 24, does D&D account for age bringing your level down? Or do level caps changing from edition to edition get any kind of explanation?

Age affects stats (generally the "brain" stats go up and the "physical" stats go down) but not level iirc. Jaheira and Minsc are just hiding their power levels to make the adventure more fun.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Tieflings used to be the race everyone played because they were edgelords, now they're the race everyone plays because they're hot.

no you're thinking of dragonborn

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I don't trust them to go back to the crappy self made RPG systems they used for the D:OS games or any other original project so this is a big RIP for me.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Saraiguma posted:

the divinity systems were leaps and bounds ahead of any dungeons and dragons product tbh

exquisite tea posted:

Imagine being the fool who doesn't believe in Larian after DOS2 and BG3.

right right we all remember loving depleting different colored hp bars so your abilities could actually work, the famous "you go then i go then you go then i go etc regardless of stats" inititative system, and the hilarious euro wit that accented every dialogue and plot beat.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

grack posted:

Started a new game, just picked up Lae'zel, checked her inventory and she had a rotten carrot, a hammer, and two bottles of water. What?

that's the astral plane's version of girl dinner

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Docjowles posted:

I don’t think you can complete that quest once you resolve the druid / goblin / Tiefling hate triangle. I guess Mol stops having a beef with the druids? Which is a bummer because the reward is quite good

You can resolve it by outing Kagha as a shadow druid and dealing with that situation however. This makes the druids stop chanting, but even though they've given up you can still nab the idol and give it to mol. Resolving it this way also ensures the druids don't decide it's genocide time when the idol disappears.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I really hate that Emperor is (big spoiler) Balduran. Just seems really gratuitous.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

BG3 was the first big CRPG for a ton of people who have little exposure to the genre or even video games in general. The game pales in comparison to stuff you can find just on Steam, but for those people running into like the Minthara sex scene is probably going to be a wtf moment.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

What triggers Orin killing the kidnapped party member? She got Laezel this time who I actually want around.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Only five this time? Production must be ramping down.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

What triggers Orin killing the kidnapped party member? She got Laezel this time who I actually want around.

I'm suffering extreme psychic damage because I want to rescue Laezel right away but the game simply doesn't stand the idea that you would want to rescue your party member asap.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I'm so loving annoyed that they took Laezel that I'm about to try to blitz the entire Orin saga in one long rest so the rest of the Act 3 storylines don't potentially gently caress up, like Wyll's dad dying.

Edit: lmfao sword bard killed Dolor before he could get a turn at the wine festival. Off to a good start.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 12, 2024

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

wizard2 posted:

Ive missed this so far, but according to BG3 Wiki, (yes, thats right.... 🤓) Tav DOES exist in the plot!

as an easily felled victim of the Dark Urge prior to the events of the game :rip:

IF you play as Tav Durge makes it to Balder's Gate and gets killed by Orin. So, touche.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

It's weird to me that everyone in camp is just like "sweet, free street urchin" and moves on with their lives. Who knows how packed that camp could have gotten if the citizens of Faerûn knew they could just show up with a paring knife and no one would care.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I may be wrong, but I think the Emperor warns you that he can only exert his protection so far when you get him to help Minsc. It’s very possible that he could do more than he does, but it also makes sense his ability to shield people isn’t limitless.

I think there is also a risk that the absolute would rapidly realize it’s losing contact with True Souls and use that to pinpoint you. The Emperor can only really shield you from incidental attention; it’s why you can’t return to Act 1 after the army marches to Baldurs Gate, because the Absolute realizes you are rogue.

The Emperor's protection doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you think about it. Apparently he was shielding every origin character after the crash, no matter how far away from the crash they were? Like why doesn't Karlach go beep boop, I'm an absolute follower now? And why/how did he even choose the origin characters for protection? Is he just going with whoever managed to survive the ship crash? Did he help all of them survive the ship crash?

Maybe this is explained if you actually play as them, which I haven't, but from playing Tav/Durge it seems kind of arbitrary and inexplicable.

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 25, 2024

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I saved the goddamn world, you'd think Elminister or someone could toss me a Wish so I wouldn't have to look like a loving squid for the rest of my life.

Wish sucks in 5e, Elminister knows cause he looks at his character sheet each edition.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Calumanjaro posted:

I was punished for my hubris this morning. My honour mode play-through had been going great, I had just murdered the Inquisitor with no issues. Then my whole party got yeeted off the cliff going down to get the blood of Lathander, after I thought "maybe I should split my party for this... nah it'll be fine."

I sucked up your good luck when the same thing just happened to me yesterday even though I disarmed the trap, except two of my party members barely landed on the edge while the other two went sailing into the distance.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

This being my second honor mode run, since the first one ended because I didn't know Orin's legendary action sends people flying and I approached her from the bedroom bridge, immediately getting two people killed and being unable to stop the resulting death spiral.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Black Noise posted:

She gives a different forgettable dialogue if you sneak up on her. The one time a knock scroll is actually very useful since your durge may not be a lock picker.

I wanted to see what would happen if you revealed the whole situation with her family. Turns out nothing interesting. So yeah, it would have been better to just approach her the normal way and use the deception option to keep the prisoner alive (I beelined straight for the rescue for RP purposes) than approach from the bedroom and be surrounded by bottomless pits.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

For whatever reason the Duergar don't have a mechanic like the goblins do to gather and alert the whole base so there's nothing stopping you from just... killing them all in tiny groups. Nere even comments on it if there are no Duergar around when you "rescue" him. Bonus: it's a nice big chunk of xp to help you get to level 7 before confronting the gith inquisitor.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Jaheira and Minsc have forgotten they're legendary heroes who should be like level 20 after being converted to 5E. Whoever converted their sheets did a terrible job.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I talked to Withers as Jaheira to change her class and he dumped on her for not having a lover. Tugging my collar IRL.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I like how, in a game that otherwise doesn't have a lot of noob traps, you can just casually eat the ascended tadpole and deny all your companions the chance to look like poo poo (and get sick powers).

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

I will say, if you're actively planning to not use it on everyone, it can be funny to have whoever uses it last just eat it. Either a deranged player character... or Karlach. I can see her doing it.

Yeah I just did it on my bard to piss off the emperor.

Speaking of my bard, I've never done the acuity helmet + mystic scoundrel ring combo before and holy poo poo, this is nuts. Arrow of many targets -> a hypnotic pattern that none of these could physically resist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Wondering who in camp is responsible for lugging around my giant, naked statue.

edit: holy poo poo, the statue gives you permanent bless? that's loving insane

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 5, 2024