Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Half-orc barbarian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

This game is hard af. I'm on the quest where you need to kill the 3 goblin leaders. On youtube, all the videos on how to beat them are using cheese methods. Breaking bridges when they walk over them. Kicking them into a pit. None of them show how to legitimately beat them in a standard fight. Other players mention the great loot you miss out when you use those methods. The problem is I don't have the necessary things to even cheese them. Don't have multiple invisibility potions. Don't have illusion spells. And i'm not sure if I am at the appropriate level (I just reached 4). And I don't know if I just need to gain some levels, or if I should be using different characters. Or if it needs characters I didn't choose for my game. If I try to fight them normally, there's like 7 enemies I have no chance of taking them all down. Tried my best to separate them. Breaking war drums. But not having much like with that either.

And a lot of the best ways to go about things requires choosing a specific succession of dialogue choices, so i'm constantly reloading saves and choosing different dialogue choices to see if I can get a better outcome. So the pacing of the game for me is extremely slow. Spending hours or all day just on one quest. 25 hours in and i'm still around the starting area. I appreciate the freedom to go about things in so many different ways. But i'm thinking of trying the easiest mode.

Go do some other quests and come back at a higher level/with better gear imo.

Typo posted:

If I ever find the energy for another playthrough def gonna try gloomstalker rogue lol

so far my favorite class is bard+fighter and pure lore bard.

High charisma to pass speech checks most flexible class in the game. Can function as ranged dps+have access to some of the best CC spells in the game.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong but I find clerics very underwhelming in act 3. In act 2 radiant guardian will carry your party for the whole act but one you get to act 3 the damage output from cleric dont' really scale. Plus you don't need sanctuary as get out of jail free card nearly as much anymore.

Plus in general there's not just as many good targets for AoE spells (outside of that house of grief fight where wall of fire is a life-saver). Feels like casters are just lackluster in Act 3 compare to the sheer damage output coming from fighter/monk

My sorceror felt stronger than ever in act 3, but I agree shadowheart started to feel like she was lagging behind. But then I summoned a djinni and it was good.

feller fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 2, 2024

feller
Jul 5, 2006

You get a full action, but you don't get extra attacks in that action. This also applies to elixir of bloodlust, but I think speed pots are still full attacks (but don't quote me on that)

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I noticed that the pike also just takes longer to return in moonrise and if you end turn before it comes back, it won't.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I haven't played divinity 1, but I highly recommend the 2nd one.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Camp supplies are never a concern even if you max out the cost in custom mode

feller
Jul 5, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Okay. Any important things to know they've changed since Patch 3? I'm aware of the basic stuff like "the creche advances the druid plot", "you can go both into Underdark and creche" and "Moonrise can and should be done first", but I'd like to know more in detail if there's confirmation of what timers are there and stuff.

As long as you don't ignore the popups that say "hey if you go here stuff will happen", you'll be fine. You basically have it all though (except you don't have to do moonrise first - just save the end of the gauntlet for last).

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Turds in magma posted:

Camp supplies are totally a concern on solo honour mode

lol

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Black Noise posted:

They’ve been tweeting teasers for patch 6 and spent Valentine’s Day memeing about not releasing it. So they weren’t even practicing “say nothing”. They got too cavalier with new features and released on a Friday instead of next Tuesday. The other option is use beta branches. Unless there is some weird licensing I’m just not privy too for why this is an issue.

What the person that runs their twitter account does has no bearing on what the devs are doing. You’re being very weird about it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Black Hole is very good even if you spend an action on it

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I've seen that behavior recently and I've never used any mods. At least with longstrider it's easy to work around

feller
Jul 5, 2006

it came from larian...

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

this Keyheric thorm fight is driving me loving nuts. one guy gets instant gibbed by the drider, everyone else gets frightened, someone gets domed by the necromite spell and the nightsong just fights the dog. I got hosed up by the long fight beforehand and can’t long rest. I’m level 8 with 1k xp to go before level 9. should I just reload and try to find some way to level? I feel like I’ve done everything but apparently you can go into the fight at level 10 so I have to be missing some stuff. My party is paladin druid barb fighter.

This is the rooftop fight right? Can't you just walk out of moonrise to long rest? If you haven't gotten the "Road to Baldur's Gate" waypoint, you can level up around there still

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Imo the best characters in bg3 aren't playable anyway, though poppers 100% should be

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

On a durge run and I killed the strange ox in the Grove (usually I kill him in act 3). Was looking up info about it and saw an old post saying dammon disappears from act 2 if you kill the ox in act 1. Is this still a thing? I'll have to reload a very old save if so.

Nope you’re fine

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Another thing I discovered is that Sorcadin really isn't worth it unless you're willing to put a bunch of sorc levels in and play it like a full caster, if you're just going for a smitetank/mini-cleric single class paladin has a ton more health, better attack bonuses, and roughly the same number of spell slots. You can't even really use metamagic to power up your smites because they're tied to melee to-hit/attacks per round. I could feel my main really falling behind after 7th level and reclassing him to a basic paladin brought him back up to snuff and gave him around 30 extra HP with the Durable feat. At the beginning of the game when I dipped into sorcerer I was expecting to get a lot more 1st level spell slots for doing so but nope. I basically gave myself an HP/attack bonus/feat penalty for no gain.

6/6 is my preferred sorcadin build and it is vastly better than full paladin imo. You can beat the game with anything though and mono paladin is definitely not bad. You’re right that the first at least 5 levels should be in paladin because extra attack is the best

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Neorxenawang posted:

I thought he was great, though the character design of Gortash is one of the few misses in the game. JK Simmons mostly just sounds like JK Simmons, though. And why does he have a different accent than his daughter and all his relatives?

His relatives are zombies

feller
Jul 5, 2006

If you don’t wear the hat your kushigo will be inhibited and that’s bad

feller
Jul 5, 2006

wares are things you sell to vendors

feller
Jul 5, 2006

BBQ Dave posted:

Thanks for the tip about the orb but the version is what I'm worried about.

it says 4.1.1 on the save file, so I figure what works for a recently started run might not work for mine. We can only play a few hours a week so our save was started months ago even though we haven't gotten far. The application is updated tho.

Thanks again.

4.1.1 is the current version, you are fine just play the game

feller
Jul 5, 2006

what

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Well...after breaking those quests, I went to the next map and obviously the first thing I did was to enter the sewers that were right there, and the sewers led me directly to Orin where I unknowingly broke the other half the Act 3 quests instantly.

what quests were broekn exactly

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

My friends and I are going to attempt getting together once a week for a 4 person playthrough. Is there anything overly complicated about 4 people trying to play the game at once or does it work pretty well?

it's obviously much more chaotic than single player, but it works great and the chaos is great imo

feller
Jul 5, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

Is there a "right" order to do act 2/moonrise?

I think I finished all the beginning last light inn stuff. Saved whats-her-nuts from whos-its. Went through the basement and killed the meenlocks. Halsin spoke with the comatose dude. Pretty sure there's nothing else to do. Harpers are on the bridge. But I want to explore and do other quests so I told them to hang tight. Just found "He Who Was" or whatever and picked up a quest from him.

I've poked around guides/maps enough to know there's a bunch of stuff in the area, but I haven't dug enough to know what exactly everything is or what order I should do things. Vaguely trying to avoid spoilers, but also trying to make sure I don't miss anything cool (not just items, but story stuff... probably not going to do a 2nd play through).

I guess main question: I presume I do moonrise before the gaunlet of shar?

Also I'm planning on converting Shart to Selunite. Story-wise it seems the right thing to do what with the whole "abduction" thing or whatever. Or at least I think so, I guess I'll figure out more later!

Do the gauntlet of shar last, and everything else in whatever order you like.

Although I'd prioritize getting the drider's moon lantern if you haven't.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Hell yeah brother :cheers:

Now join me in the constant, crippling anxiety of honor mode. I’ve only lost my run to failing very easy rolls early in the game like 3 times so far :shepicide:

Which ones? Rescuing Gale is the only roll I can think of where you're just screwed if you roll badly, and that's obviously not even a game over.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

With some knowledge of the game, it's easy to get through a few of the early encounters that would otherwise steamroll you:

-the brains on the beach, just jump up the cliffside and recruit a few characters first, and then take them out
-the bandits at the tomb, cast illusion to gather them under the hanging stone, and then shoot it to kill them.
-any goblin encounter: just change shape into a drow. This gives the same XP as fighting them.
-for Gale, well, good luck! At least it's early.

Yep, these are good tips.

For the beach brains, I wait until the patroller is close to the nautiloid tank (so there are 2 next to it total) and hit it with firebolt. That instakills them, and the last one isn't too tough by itself. For the blighted village, you can climb up some vines nearish to scratch and ambush the goblins if you don't feel like shapeshifting.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I went to do the hag in act 1 tonight and not sure wtf happened. When I tried to go through the fireplace she suddenly spawned in and the boss fight went down in the main tea house area. Never had this happen before. The fight was a joke, she just kinda stood there and didn't use any of her abilities. Might as well have been jumping an actual grandma. Went into the fireplace and everything was friendly, Mayrina was still in her cage and I was able to finish the quest as normal. Didn't get the hair item obviously. Was looking forward to that reward, but at least it was quick? Whole hag dungeon took about 3 minutes.

Also honor mode Nere almost wiped me. I killed all the druegar so it would be a 1v4 but he immediately posessed Astarion who proceeded to delete another companion in 1 turn lol. Now it's 2 on 2 and he has one of my best dudes. Was able to break Astarion out of it and mop up but that was scarier than I expected. Having flashbacks to WoW with this mind control poo poo. If I hadn't cleaned up before releasing him that would have been a very fast TPK.

lol

lol you did the hard mode version of the nere fight. I’ve never had the courage to not side with the duergar rebels in HM

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Casters can wear armor they are proficient in with no penalties

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Rogue is the only one where I wouldn’t suggest going mono. All the others are great as monoclass though some are better than others ofc.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m glad you shared this because I was trying to find some bonus for monoclassing , but I didn’t find any capstone thing.

Most classes have their capstone thing at 10 or 11 for some reason. And some of them are really good like bm or hunter ranger, fighter, or moon druid. Then 12 gets you a feat, but I usually don't find the options for a third feat to be that compelling.

Docjowles posted:

Cool the game just crashed and lost me like an hour of honor mode time. I don't think to spam F5 every 3 seconds in a single-save mode, my mistake. Guess I get to do Grym again

Yeah I lost a couple hours the other night and haven't worked up the willpower to go redo it all yet.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

really curious to know what that halfling werewolf bard companion would have been like. would have been nice to have a rogue option beyond Astarion, and no D&D party is fully complete without at least one short companion

you can respec anyone to rogue just fyi

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The emperor stuff is so bad it's killed a lot of my desire to replay.

lol

feller
Jul 5, 2006

A single wall of fire makes house of grief pretty fun - especially if you have blackhole to keep putting everyone back in it

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I think the hardest act 3 fight now is the dame aylin fight if you hand her over to lorroakan. they gave her some powerful reinforcements in one of the latest patches.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

This has got to be the rarest fight out of anything right? Who would choose to go down this path is beyond me. You lose out on the best weapon in the game and it makes no RP sense.

if you let balthazar take her in the shadowfell, she can still join your camp after the act is done. I felt real bad handing her over a second time lmao

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Saraiguma posted:

demons always being evil is also racist!

stfu

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mailer posted:

Most of it is just due to having state changes and long rest triggers. They built in a staggering number of options to keep you out of "But I already killed the bandits!" situations and that's really cool. My (admittedly pretty minor) peeve is that the triggers are hidden so you need online resources to not trip them, but they're so specific that you invariably wind up reading spoilers.

Can you give some examples of plot things you needed to research before playing?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mailer posted:

It's entirely possible that some of the stuff I pulled from the wiki is wrong, but also I'm not spending the hours to test each thing. From stuff I've personally seen yes the pre/post grove state change affects almost all of the quests - Dammon is still technically available. The barkeep I thought I had to outdrink will happily drink for ~6 DC21 checks, which is as far as I got before I hit the wiki to find a speech option that looks like flavor text but also autokills... for reasons. Some quests are fine forever despite seeming urgent and some terminate if you rest too much. I'm not sure if the whole owlbear thing requires hitting the lair first, but again that's a wiki pull. If Nere is poisoned I had no idea, because I failed that check.

I'm not raging against the game here. My only comment is that trying to wiki things to make sure you don't miss an item/character/whatever winds up generating spoilers because the triggers are so specific.

There’s no autokill option. You’re supposed to do the checks.

Do I understand correctly that you want to be able to look up everything for some kind of completionist first run while avoiding all spoilers?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zodium posted:

i like to enjoy the game by playing the content. other people enjoy not playing it. people are different like that, and I think that's something to celebrate.

sounds like you actually prefer to enjoy it by reading the wiki about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zodium posted:

i think you are confusing "i would not have as much fun playing the game like that" with "you are not having as much fun playing the game like that."

i think you're confusing your dumb posts with good ones