Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m on The End of Time. I forgot how batshit insane it was. The Master doing a super frog jump and eating homeless people. The Doctor knowing that The Master is out there somewhere, instinctively checks a rock quarry. Obama fixing the economy. Obama becoming The Master.

It's peak bad RTD. There's a few great character moments, but the story and part 1 in particular is rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Weird little thing: There's a 'who's your fave Doctor' poll on that Mirror article: Top 3? Tennant, Baker comma T and... Capaldi. Davison is dead last.

I wouldn't go with Tennant first, but Davison last is objectively correct. :colbert:

The thing that annoyed me the most in this one was all of the Tesla worship since for a long time you couldn't alternate your current online without someone going, "TESLA! SCIENCE! :swoon:" and it felt like the show was part of all of that bullshit, though a few years late.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought Moffat and Davies have been all but outright saying Moffat will write at least one episode in the coming season.

I'm good with that. We're all now very familiar with Moffat's problems as a writer, but one story every once and a while feels like we'd avoid some of those. It's when he has to carry a show, especially long term, that Moffat becomes unbearable.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Capaldi had some disastrously bad episodes like Kill the Moon, Forest of the Night, and the Zygon two parter. Real contenders for the worst stories in Doctor Who history. And then there'd be some amazing episodes. It was an era of whiplash.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

At least one Big Finish as well I think, wasn't he a UNIT Colonel in one of the Unbounds?

He's also a nazi in Colditz. I wish there were more BF with him before he got the rike because he was pretty good in those few audios.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rochallor posted:

HORROR OF FANG ROCK
THE INVISIBLE ENEMY
IMAGE OF THE FENDAHL
THE SUN MAKERS
UNDERWORLD
THE INVASION OF TIME

Ooh, that's a pretty rough season. Two of those are alright, I guess!

There's a reason they mainly stuck to bits of Horror of Fang Rock in the trailer. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Nightmare in Silver is one where you can feel the floor moving under Gaiman as he's writing his drafts. I wonder if we'll ever see another episode from him, given his writing methodology doesn't seem to really match the needs of TV production.

It's possible. If he's managed to ride out this many productions where things turned sour on him, one bad time working on a show that was foundational to him wouldn't be enough to stop Gaiman from coming back and doing another. But I wouldn't wouldn't blame him if he's turned off on it, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

For me it's during the 2nd doctors run that I start to struggle with when I watch everything in order. Just too many retcons. He's a great doctor but that part was tough to get through.

I've done the every single episode in order march before and, yeah, the reconstructions in the second era make it the hardest part. It's not just that the episodes are missing, it's how the reconstructions are often lifeless even by the standards of slideshows. There's a lot you can do artistically to try to give the visual aspects some life and very few of them even try.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Ah, the Sensorites. Few people doing the Hartnell watch-through make it past there!

The Sensorites was my first story!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Any thread suggestions for watching certain episodes of Doctor Who out of order? I'm super enjoying Genesis of the Daleks.

Don't worry about the order. Jump around all you like. You'll probably be happier that way.

Once we were normal people but we made a fateful, irreversible decision to watch all of Doctor Who in order and look what became of us.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I will say this after watching the first season of Tom Baker. His Doctor is super enjoyable to just watch. I can see why he's the favorite Doctor of a lot of people.

T. Baker's performance is so defining that it became the reference people used. I see a lot of Troughton in it, but with more self-confidence than any person should have which made Baker great to watch.

I don't think he's the best Doctor performance ever, in my opinion both Smith and Capaldi do more with the role, but in the old series he was the best.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I like in the Tom Baker Doctor Who with Sara Jane Smith character that a lot of times Sara Jane Smith saves the Doctor and not the other way around. Like yea he saves her a good bit in situations but a lot of times she saves him.

There's a reason that Sarah Jane was the only companion to have two spin-offs, one of them even lasted more than a single episode!

Shh... we might be able to trick Hollismason into watching K-9 and Company.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Strax is a little like Dr. Spaceman in that he's just the same joke over and over again, but it's a joke I enjoy, so I don't mind.

Excure me, but Strax is nurse spaceman, not doctor spaceman. Please don't disrespect his profession.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Leopard seals are cute right up to the moment they open their mouths, then it's very clear why they're called leopard seals (in addition to their spots).

"I can't believe leopard seals would eat my face!" -- researcher who went to the antarctic to investigate face eating by leopard seals

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I'm not to thrilled about The Masque of Mandragora. I mean its cool setting , but I find it kind of drab. Not too exciting.

You might have seen that cool setting somewhere else before since it's also the Village from The Prisoner.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Lest we forget, if DW hadn't been put on hiatus between Colin Baker's first season and Trial of a Time Lord, the next script Holmes was working in for the show was to be set in Singapore, with the working title of "Yellow Fever and How to Cure It".

The "Lost Stories" line for Colin Baker at Big Finish is.... uh. It has my least favorite Doctor Who story ever with Mission to Magnus which would have been horribly misogynistic by the standards of the mid-seventies, would have been absolutely disgusting if it was produced for TV with Colin, and is truly godawful that Big Finish thought it was acceptable to release it without a ground up rewrite. Also, the story on the docket after that was the return of everyone's favorite The Celestial Toymaker!

We're probably better off that the season got flushed.

Harlock posted:

I wonder if Rusty is going to touch upon the Fugitive Doctor again or if it's done and dusted.

I could see him using the concept. It feels like the kind of thing that he'd be willing to go back to revisit even if he didn't "resolve" any of it.

Hollismason posted:

Not really digging The Invisible Enemy, but it does have some charming model sets for Titan which I like. Not totally sold on this.

You have reached the Tom Baker lull, unfortunately. Don't worry, next season improves a bit even if it's messy! Unfortunately you have a lot of ground to cover to get there...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HD DAD posted:

It really does reek of someone who was young during the wilderness years, brain full of Cartmel what could have been, and then not being able to resist that impulse when he actually got control of the show.

Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it’s just that it was implemented in a very poor way.

There's a real danger in long running media of fans taking it over and turning everything into canonizing in their awful fan theories and wallowing in past references. When RTD revived the show I was worried that something like that would happen, but instead he treated the show as something fresh and distinct, not even really acknowledging that the original series happened (instead of an abstract, "Oh, the Doctor's been out there doing stuff and fighting monsters" way) until the second season. Davies knew that the series had to be accessible and made a point of that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah, season 15 is not one of the best, yet somehow is next in line for a Blu-ray release despite the Key to Time being right there!

Since I have the Key to Time DVD set, I have no complaints about the BBC taking their time to get to it. Finish Pertwee first!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

TIL that BF own the doctorwho.co.uk domain.

"Well why would the BBC want to own it. That series went off the air over five years ago! Nobody remembers it except for a few nerds! And if some of them want to own doctorwho.co.uk for their little radio show thing, who cares?" -- some BBC high muckety muck in 1996

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Okay maybe I am crazy but it seems to me that the Doctors scarf has gotten larger in Season 15. Is this accurate? It looks way bigger than it use to.

They changed it multiple times during Baker's run and in season 15 it was quite a bit longer for at least some stories. It'll get longer, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Power of the Daleks feels like the vibe they were going for with Victory of the Daleks but then they got distracted with lionising Churchill.

Victory was definitely inspired by Power.

Power is right next to Genesis in my favorite classic Dalek stories.

Gaz-L posted:

It's also notable I think that when they do the actual regeneration, it's purely the Shepherd's Boy playing. This is basically the crossover from one motif for Twelve to another, the one representing the initial morally grey Doctor who could take action but wasn't sure if he was a good man, to the man who went through hell and came out the other side and learned from that to be kind. Just that. Just... kind.

:cry:

Might also be because "The Shepherd's Boy" is arguably the best piece of music ever composed for the show. Really it's a three-way fight between the theme (which is genuinely amazing how they got it something that perfect and enduring immediately), "I Am the Doctor", and "The Shepherd's Boy".

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 27, 2024

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

From what i remember of the very small bit of American history we covered at my English secondary school, Custer was not only a racist but an incompetent leader who got himself and his men killed by refusing equipment, ignoring intelligence and generally being poo poo, so I don't even know how the Doctor could save him short of bonking him on the head and dumping him somewhere away from the battle

Hey, he also was so fixated on doing genocide that he made everything much worse!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hey now, that's an authentic Malebolgian accent.

I'm moving to Malebolgia, a bustling new state that is definitely a real place and absolutely not sinister!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I can't decide whether I really like that Season 16 has one big long arc about finding the Key of Time or whether I am growing a bit tired of it.

Yeah, that's kind of how everyone goes. It's not the worst idea to have a season long arc, but at the same time the plotting winds up feeling kind of samey.

But hey, it's not the other season long plot arc in classic Who!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

The black guardian turns up again (only one time I think?) on TV and there have been a few audios with them.

Three stories, but it's a short arc all tied together. They're the fifth Doctor stories Mawdryn Undead, Enlightenment, and Terminus. Enlightenment is one my favorite fifth Doctor stories, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

My girlfriend and I (she is new to the show) are also going to watch all of 13th, though we're expecting it to be what she calls a "salt watch".

You don't have to do this. You can just walk away.

Think of every time the Doctor told someone this and they ignored them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Okay so City of Death was really good! I enjoyed that immensely.

If you watch some version of Shada at the end of the season (there's several of versions of Shada that try to finish the unfilmed portions), be sure to read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and go, "A lot of this is really familiar."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's well-known trivia but Life, the Universe and Everything was based on ideas Adams had for a Doctor Who story called The Krikkitmen.

I feel like that one was probably a step too far and was canned for good reason.

radmonger posted:

Bille Piper as the Doctor would absolutely work, but there are distinct _problems_ with the idea of Laurence Fox as the Master.

Billy Piper would be fun casting for sixteen. I don't know if it would work, but it's a fun idea.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This amused me more than it probably should have (click for vid):

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

The CoatTM grew on me and I kinda wish we'd get a modern Doctor with one in spirit (should be a required publicity image, dammit)

I like the idea behind it, but feel the execution was poor. Brightly colored and clashing works for the Doctor and making them pop on those fuzzy old TVs. But the choice of patterns in the material doesn't show well and I think the way the panels are laid out for the coat makes it look worse. If C. Baker's thing was asymmetrical, high contrast long coats and he had a few of them that he rotated through, then it might have worked. Streamline the design a bit, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

It doesn't fit me anymore. My shoulders got too broad. I should probably look into rehoming it.

Just regenerate. Probably easier.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I'm not super thrilled about the E-Space Trilogy but I do like that this last one has some pretty cool camera work.

Yep. Warrior's Gate looks great, though I think it doesn't work as a story for me. But at least you have Adric!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

When I was a kid I knew another kid who was an even bigger Who nerd that I was (goddamn), and I remember one of the most satisfying things was stumping him on a "quiz" where I asked what the Time Lords' greatest enemy were, because he of course answered the Daleks and I smugly explained that they were the DOCTOR'S greatest enemy, but the Time Lords' greatest enemy were, of course, Space Vampires :smug:

God, I was (am) such a loving dork. :)

On my differential equations final, the professor had a question about launching a space ship from Gallifrey. I started my answer with something like "This question is invalid as the Time Lords dismantled all of their spacecraft after defeating the Space Vampires." Yes, obviously I still answered it.

Also, I got an A in that course, but they didn't give me a blue star in mathematics. :argh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Season 18 is especially long for a season. I was expecting to get to Logopolis or whatever but there's this whole other serial after E Space Trilogy. That's surprising.

Will have to finish the season tomorrow.

I think I am just gonna roll right into the next Doctor. I may go back and watch Pertwee.

Keeper of Traken leads right into Logopolis which leads right into Castrovalva. I actually think it's to the last story's detriment since it feels kind of like a re-hash if you're watching straight through though there was a year between Logopolis and Castrovalva when they were broadcast.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There's a few scenes of that sort of thing during Davison's run too, where they show off various parts of the TARDIS interior (especially during his very first episode).

We see the companion's bedrooms fairly often during Davison.

Hollismason posted:

Anyway I may just take a break from Doctor Who for a bit before rolling into Davisons run although I'm very tempted to skip back to Pertwee's run and watch that.

I'll repeat myself because it's going to be a very important message as you roll into 80's Who: it's okay to walk away.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Honestly it's remarkable that the idea of "evil future incarnation" hadn't really come up before the Valeyard, but it spawned a million billion fanfics and you can probably trace a line from it to The Time Lord Victorious. He really was a solid character actor, did exactly what the role needed.

For a show about traveling in time, classic Who wasn't very concerned with exploring the possibilities of that. I can only think of a half dozen or so classic stories that actually took advantage of the main character having a time machine. It was fandom that picked up on it, which is probably why it started showing up in various stories a lot more once fans took over the franchise.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Was the TARDIS materialising around someone and bringing them inside something introduced in the new series?

It showed up a time or two in the original series.

One memorable time the Doctor materialized the Tardis around a police box which was actually the Master's Tardis.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 7, 2024

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Any stand out episodes I should look out for in Davisons run. I just finished up I thin the 2nd serial of his first season.

Earthshock and Caves are the big ones for continuity.

The Guardian trilogy of Mawdryn Undead, Terminus, and Enlightenment is a good arc with two strong stories.

And then I start struggling. People have fondness for the Mara stories, Kinda and Snakedance, but I've never liked them. The Visitation has its fans but the story doesn't work for me. And then past that are the real dregs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Narsham posted:

It isn’t a well-considered plan, just a desperate attempt to avoid having to make the decision herself unilaterally. There’s probably an interesting point there about how she’d accept the Doctor making such a decision for all of humanity, and how she doesn’t accept the results of the “vote,” but their actual argument afterward doesn’t fully address such a point and the Doctor’s reticence seems somewhat uncharacteristic.

You can make a good story out of Kill the Moon. Hell, you can make a good metaphorical story out of Kill the Moon because the better, obvious metaphor of "save the mother or the child but not both" is right there. Give me an hour of the Doctor trying to magic up a solution and then people having to make a hard choice with consequences because there was no other solution. But there isn't a single element of Kill the Moon that works in the story that aired, and many of those elements are pretty drat toxic at even a cursory examination.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's the plot though.

That might be what they thought the plot was but the message winds up muddled; there's no real pro-space dragon arguments beyond "it's a baby!", for example. And there was no "mother" involved in the decision, metaphorical or otherwise which meant no emotional connection. There was no ethical delema unless you're anti-abortion; it's a shame to have to kill baby space dragon but sometimes you have to put down wild animals who are dangers to people and you won't find many people arguing otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Wasn't there a serial where Five specifically can survive the vacuum of space because he's a Time Lord, or am I misremembering? I think he didn't need to breathe or couldn't be harmed by extreme cold.

It's funny that sometimes a writer will just give the Doctor superpowers/D&D feats that the rest of the writers ignore.

It's not that Time Lords didn't need to breathe in space, it was that he could survive it a lot longer than a human. This has been mentioned in passing a few times since that Fifth story, but I don't remember any other televised stories using it.