Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

I have no desire to relive my law school days, but I have to admit it would be fascinating to sit in on a few copyright lectures a few years down the road when some of these expired public domain works get hauled into court and the case law is developing.

The Sherlock Holmes assholes have already started a lot of case law

Duke law has a page on what the current state is with what you can steamboat or not steamboat

https://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/mickey/#jan1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Look up how valve treated the guy they facescanned for eli vance

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NorgLyle posted:

I would very much like movies (and especially tv shows) to have their budgets drastically slashed and for filmmakers to have to go back to figuring out how to do things they want cheaply but effectively and not just vomiting hundreds of millions of dollars of CGI work hours onto the screen.

I really think studios should hire some up and coming directors to film the script with a total budget of $1 million first just to work out the kinks and figure out how to manage a story with very little vfx, then spend the 200 million or whatever on the high budget celebrity actor extravaganza, saving money and improving quality because they already know where they're going.

As a plus side this would mean every major film would have a low budget knockoff produced alongside it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

Why not get weird with it? Palpatine back but now he's a good guy?!

My name is Shev Palpatine, Sheev was my evil clone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

redshirt posted:

Did they say how? Fragged by his own guys? Fell into a VC bamboo pit?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kalel posted:

saw LOTR return of the King in the theatre

what else is there to say? one of the best genre sagas ever put to film. and I don't care that an entire country was sacrificed at the altar of capitalism to make it; in fact I'm glad of it

Yeah but all of Tolkien's stuff is public domain in NZ now so they could easily get the last laugh

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Wanda gruesomely murdering all the alt-universe Avengers was great

You can tell where the studio insisted they needed to set up a character with her AU version because it went from creative and brutal deaths to a very generic Energy Beam Battle

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lol, psychological stress doesn't cause ulcers, that's helicobacter infections, the researchers got a Nobel for proving it 20 years ago

poo poo rear end journalists

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I knew zoolander II was going to suck when the trailer had him misread the title as "zoolander eye eye" and not "zoolander eleven"

What an easy joke to miss

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I still think the best idea for a sequel is that it takes place at a Ghostbusters franchise location. The only time you see any of the old guys is Bill Murray in an anti-union video they have to watch as part of employee training.

Not a franchise, make them underemployed millennials gig-working the Bustr app.

Bill Murray as the rear end in a top hat CEO whose mistreatment of his workers and lax attitude towards safety causes a massive spectral event, largely due to there being Too Many Ghostbusters.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

No, it's that the job of removing those was done by hand, directly on film, which is not feasible because we no longer shoot on film, and as a result there's no one with those skills left. The act if the paint out wasn't invented with computers, numb nuts. It's called a paint out because people used to literally paint out reflections, wire, license plates, etc etc.

You know, exactly what I wrote in my prior posts. What used to be a practical, manual undertaking, has been replaced by computer work. And like how dummies like you don't think an old fashioned paint out is effects work, dummies like you don't realise a modern paint out is cgi.

some people treat 'computer generated imagery' as referring to '3d renders' since that's what it sounds like on the face of it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:wal: You think it was traumatic to act in Eternals?
:stat: Try watching it!
:wal::stat: Dohohohohohoho!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

a facehugger implants a t-rex creating a trexenomorph

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vakal posted:

sorta been done

*adds single line*

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

HGH is somewhat expensive here, and you'd be hard pressed to find someone with enough charisma to outlast an HGH course

We saw arnold's kid with his maid, you don't need hgh to look like a miniarnold

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dr_rat posted:

If your going to re-do a 90's comic cartoon it really should of been Batman: The Animated Serious. As you know that was legitimately good, with great writing and amazing art style that still holds up incredibly well today.

Why so Serious?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

colonelwest posted:

It’s been canon for me that Sheev Palpatine FUCKS ever since Rise of Skywalker came out, regardless of whatever dumb explanation for his son that Disney has tried to proffer in some poo poo-tier novel.

they did exactly the same thing in the EU, except at first it was that palpy had hosed to create triclops, then triclops was a clone, then the fake triclops was a clone and the real triclops was conceived normally, then triclops was a clone, maybe

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mystes posted:

I think when people are comparing it to cinema sins they just mean it's a really boring list of minor poo poo nobody cares about

they're similar because tedious people blame everything they dislike in movie critics on one of the two channels

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Everyone seems to be talking about Starship Troopers suddenly on the internet. I've been seeing some wild poo poo including:

-A perfectly great description of the movie being an amazing parody of fascist propaganda. They 100% understood the movie and seemed to really understand fascism and how decaying fascist states need a war. But the closing remarks were then comparing Ukraine and "the west" to the decaying Federation from Starship Troopers and Russia and BRICs to the bugs who are now simply defending themselves and we need to support Russia's defense of their natural sphere of influence and hasten the decay of the fascist west.

-Nazi's and alt-right types going on and on about how even in the movie the federation is in the right and is good and how of course libs rather have humanity destroyed by bugs than ever admit a war economy might need a little discipline. Look how diverse the federation is. HOW can you say they're coded as nazi's or even right wing when there's racial diversity in the movie. This is a genuinely utopian society!

-Actually the Federation is clearly a satire on liberal society because the useless military is head by a BLACK WOMAN who's obviously bad at her job and there's forced diversity everywhere. It's crystal clear that the movie is showing how a society with so much forced diversity and women in the military is destined to fail. The federation's propaganda and brainwashing in school is exactly what the democrats/libs want.

People are loving insane.

The humanities department at my university regularly had various professors from the faculty fellows give talks with free refreshments

One of them was about how starship troopers wasn't a parody because it didn't wink to the camera.

Which was about as good as the one that explained that children who thought their parents were hypocrites just didn't understand their parents, because the views they listed their parents as having didn't match their parents' actual* views.

*self-reported

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

Did someone raise their hand and ask about the difference between satire and parody?

There were a couple of questions like that and yes he was taking it dead seriously as a 'fascist utopia', or at least putting up the pretense of doing so.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KakerMix posted:

whining about their posting experience in the RLM thread in GBS on Something Awful,

*pants u for whining*

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KakerMix posted:

I don't think this is true because I just glaze past the guy's post (he also just posted discussion stuff not related to his videos, remember) but I'd have to scroll past more than one post of people whining that xjakk posted at all. Just...don't watch his videos, don't reply to him, or just ignore him and then dang you don't even gota scroll past his post because it becomes a tiny-rear end line and you can instead read everyone else going "abloobaloo a person I don't like posted a thing I don't like"

I've never watched the dude's videos either but he isn't lovely and heck, that's good enough for me. Never not post.

How about you just scroll past the posts you don't like and stop complaining about them?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I watched mission impossible 2 recently and thought 'oh wow this is a fun breezy movie, starts in-media res in a heist like normal MI movies, doesn't overexplain things, really short runtime, I wonder why it has such negative reviews?'

turns out several years back I had previously watched it partway through, abandoned it for being bad, but amazon remembered where I left off

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 22, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just record xjakk videos to an old vhs and send them in for botw

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That DICK! posted:

i read they were aired in chile but they were not inserted in to the actual films to skirt laws or whatever as claimed, but were simply commercials that aired during regular breaks. thus i was lied to. thus i withdraw my apologies and curse all who received them

I mean normal commercial breaks are inserted into the actual film

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

George Lucas got so pissed off about the beer commercials he sued the ad agency, and won in court, so the commercials could never be aired with star wars again

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That DICK! posted:

thats an interesting fact. the commercials are fun. my issue is with the lies. this is how the iraq war happened

I didn't see anything in the twitter thread sya anything about "skirting laws" though, aside from a comment mentioning the lucas suit? If it's not that, then not sure what you're on about

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

evilmiera posted:

I'm the asteroids moving in a uniform pattern while the asteroid that's in focus stays still.

it's spinning

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

Why do I feel like that guy may have been known for other works?

I loved his popcorn

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

I know the forums skew old but how loving close to death are you guys with audible ringtones?

yeah I put an ebook as my ringtone too

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

Maybe I could have picked a better analogy (or you can just disagree with me, or I might even be an idiot on the internet), but can you honestly not see a change in how people relate to art and movies in particular over the last decade or two? Because for me it seems like a much, much more combative relationship from normies. There's a sense of fear of being "tricked" by a movie and finding out later that the movie made a mistake. A fear of looking the fool for saying you like a movie ten minutes before the cinema sins bells start ringing. People seem way more inclined to watch a movie looking for faults and seams, generally missing the actual ones (see previous discussion of Dune drone shot) and then applying the idea of the film makers incompetence to their own failings. Then they get to feel smarter then the Hollywood big shots and tell everyone on earth they could have done a better job (they couldn't).

Have big budget movies gotten worse over the last ten years or so (including the marvel collapse and pandemic years)? No, it must be the audiences and a C-list youtuber who are responsible.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It absolutely is but there's pretty obvious shortcomings like every scene needing to be on a flat surface since changes in elevation make the Volume harder to set up. It's a tool like anything else, but like anything CGI, it's all too easy to abuse and be lazy.

Even before they were using The Volume it started becoming super noticsble that lazy greenscreen action scenes were video game flat arenas surrounded by noninteractive background elements

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm getting real boss baby vibes from that film

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lots of very very stupid people think "the algorithm" is censoring them when they use specific words on social media.

With youtube in particular there's hard data on what words you can use and when otherwise you get demonetized

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

Battleship is a scathing indictment of humanity's warlike tendencies and the military industrial complex. The aliens are pacifists, never attack until attacked, and all their "weapons" are actually just tools with legitimate peaceful uses. It's an utterly baffling movie.

hey now I already know the kzinti lesson

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Please.

He was a computer engineer.

Also what the hell is wrong with the Chinese is all sci-fi banned there or something:

There are a lot of seemingly-arbitrary and capriciously enforced restrictions on published fantasy and science fiction stories

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I'm guessing then that Citizen Kane is a dog poo poo movie that does nothing interesting, worthwhile, actively makes you hate the rest of the citiizenkane franchise and expanded universe?

The citzen kane expanded universe is space jam 2, so yes it does

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

picard had a perfectly good excuse to get rid of wesley for good and he blew it. you know the only reason picard didn't go all in on pursuing beverly was that he didn't want that disappointing little wiener to be his son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxopd_qSVKo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

colonelwest posted:

They hosed up Luke’s character so badly that I can’t really imagine them adding a wife that he abandons on top of the existing poo poo pile.

All paths lead to the narrative dead end of the sequel trilogy.

That was Luuke