Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

Have a coworker in today who literally tested positive in the office and will not go home because they want to save PTO hours. Maybe I should work from home.
This should be an immediately jailable offense, wtf

Obviously the ideal option is, instead, jailing the employer that doesn't provide automatic sick time for an ongoing pandemic

While we're making wishes

Jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Has anyone upgrades their router lately? I'm considering upgrading mine. I prefer mesh for how my house is setup and currently have an older Netgear Orbi setup that I like. I haven't really paid attention the last few years so I'm not really sure what wifi 6 or 7 or whatever has to offer or even if they're worth upgrading too. Anyone have some info that can help me out?
I had a Netgear Orbi with a wired backhaul between satellites and it caused a lot of problems- apparently there's a known but not acknowledged issue where the entire network can go down every few hours due to an ARP storm or something?

I switched to a wired-only router supported by PoE Ubiquiti APs mounted in inconspicuous places and it's been 100% ever since for two years.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

posters of tff i come to you with a problem: a football e/n

so my dad is a huge steelers fan. he loves the steelers. i would talk to him about the steelers before but not in any detail since i quit watching football like ~10 years ago. now that i've gotten fully back into it with this lions team, i've been talking to him more and more about football bc it's something that we can talk about and not have it go into angry shouting or whatever. except that he won't shut up about how much he wants mike tomlin fired. every game he tells me about how this is the one where tomlin loses and finally gets canned. he begs and pleads for the steelers to lose so he can have a losing season and get fired. he tells me about how he wants tj watt to be traded to a better team so he can be rewarded with a super bowl that he will never get in pittsburgh under mike t

what do i do? how do i convince him that losing tomlin won't make your qb room any better? how do i get him to talk about literally anything else about the steelers except mike tomlin jesus christ
Ask him what coach the Steelers could hire that would reliably get them winning seasons in perpetuity and, failing that, just try to steer him away from the thinly veiled racism that underpins every other moron calling for Tomlin to be fired

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

It'd be sorta fitting for the Steelers to be coached by someone who knows that steel is so strong it can't be melted by jet fuel.
Goddammit I was hunting for a joke but this is better than anything I could come up with

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm born early in December and sometimes my parents would cheap out by getting one present for my birthday and Christmas.
I was born very close to Christmas and one year I got an Xbox (with no games) for Christmas, and Halo 2 for my birthday. I was permitted to open Halo 2 early.

It loving ruled.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I was really excited for Furiosa until the trailer came out and hoo boy the lack of practical effects is apparent

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

A girl OD'd and died in class my senior year of high school and because of it nobody could nap in any classes after that, even study hall. It sucked but I felt and still feel awful for the family so I can't be too mad. Anyway that's my story

Other than that there are at least three current or former NFL players from that same high school so that's neat

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Why you gotta doxx Braksgirl & Silly Burrito like that?!?
:drat:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

BlindSite posted:

lol Stephen Knight is gonna walk from his lucas film deal after extensive interference and notes from the star wars division and they've shelved the Rey movie indefinitely. Its what, 2 weeks since they announced the director?

Echo loving suuuuucks, Ashoka was pants on head dumb

Does Disney do anything right anymore.
Loki S2 was good I guess? :shrug:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Freaquency posted:

Drinking whatever you want and not caring what others think about it is cool now, sorry
:hmmyes:

Air Skwirl posted:

I dunno when I'm drinking on a plane I get a tiny bottle of whiskey and a gingerale.
Yup. Buffalo Trace and ginger ale, back when I spent any time on planes without a mask. :sigh:

kiimo posted:

high fructose corn syrup though
I'm pretty sure the steady diet of game day wings overshadows any downsides to HFCS (this is not an attack on game day wings)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That's what I was afraid of: Clear not being Pre-Check so you would need both to get the best pre-flight screening experience.

I guess I could get Global Entry but I'm a little :tinfoil: in terms of how much more info I want given to the government.
I don't have pre-check or anything. When I flew through Boston from Scotland in 2022 and approached the customs agent, he addressed me and my now-wife by name before we said our names or handed over our passports. That ship has sailed.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's for when you're out of Malort?
I really don't understand why Malort gets the hate it does, it's not good but I tried it recently and it wasn't the worst thing I've ever had

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

What, pray tell - was? Grappa? Fernet Branca?
Both of those are good though? Honestly some vodkas and tequilas are worse than Malort, if we're just talking shots. Rakia is pretty rough.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

These are the options the teenagers/winos that your girlfriend/wife's brothers and ex-boyfriends bring you in hopes you gag and they can be like "see??"

The trick is to skull it and then order food they prepared as "spicy spicy spicy spicy"
I dunno what grappa you've had but I had it as a sort of dessert wine and it was great

This is probably a good time to mention that I usually can't taste bitter, like caffeine powder in water just tastes like water to me

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Grappa is paint thinner, when was the last time you heard about "fine grappa"?

Never? That matches with general media literacy in current times, but I'm sure I'm wrong. Old and all!
Man, that just doesn't square with my experience at all. It was like brandy but a little more angry and with more grape-iness. :shrug:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Hey car knowers, my truck hit a curb today skidding on ice. Broke the wheel and knocked it out of alignment. Screwed up the stabilitrak, although I’m assuming that’s because the alignment is off. It’s going to the shop for an estimate anyway. I think the frame may have had a bolt hole expanded? Does anyone know what I’m looking at while I wait a week for the estimate?

Good side then bad side shown.

am I extremely dumb/blind or do you have the pictures in reverse order?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Guac is a vast land of contrasts. When it's bad it's real bad, but man when it's good

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Consumer spending this holiday season strongly suggests that actually a large majority of Americans are feeling OK about their finances.
I'm not an economist but I wonder how that spending relates to U.S. consumer debt also being at an all-time high

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anything Jon Bois is pretty great tbf

Dumbest boy alive
My favorite worst baseball player
222-0

All classics
The Saddest Punt in the World and The Browns Live in Hell are also great

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

pmchem posted:

so I haven’t watched much of the fast and furious series and I’m about 45 minutes in to fast 5

…the series gets more over the top ridiculous from here?
Lmao

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

That's the one I'm talking about, it's just weird calling it 'The Batman'. I appreciated that they actually made the effort of showing Batman doing detective poo poo. The Nolan movies more felt like he was just making action movies that happened to have Batman in them, Reeves feels like he understands the nature of those characters better while still finding a way to translate them into a more realistic setting.
TDK had that long sequence with matching bullet fragments but... yeah that was pretty much it huh

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7330354795821223211

Help, I hate the future

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m going back through all the Marvel movies, mainly as background noise while working from home and I’m currently on Age of Ultron and I forgot how thick Wanda’s accent was to start with. It’s non-existent in the newer films
They actually mentioned this in WandaVision I think? Like she was losing her grip on sanity and didn't "know" which accent was hers or something?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

BTS was my first thought, but I hadn't heard anything new in a while from them (because of the military service I suppose). But that's also an act the American right hates because of Kpop stans mocking Trump back in '20
Just reminded me of one of my favorite old videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbM6WbUw7Bs

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Hell, I scheduled my first real salon cut with the lady a coworker went and in the special request box I explained that I didn’t really get my hair because I had only just come out a year ago.

So that lovely woman spent the entire loving hour(+) teaching me about my dumb hair and different things I could do with it and how she was cutting my hair and why she was doing things that way.

Needless to say I’ll never go to anyone else ever again. Like, legit barbers and stylists are specialized professionals. Don’t be afraid to tap into their knowledge and ask their advice.
This loving owns lmao congrats

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Random survey time!

I know some people love them, some hate them, some are indifferent. Do you have a custom ringtone or text tone in TYOOL 2024? If so, what do you use?

I am currently using the Harley Quinn theme as a ringtone, and the first three musical notes signifying a MK2 fatality as a text tone. No thanks to iOS 17, which has made it much more complex than it used to be.
On the extremely rare occasions that my phone is not on Silent or Vibrate (i.e. I'm waiting for a very important call or text), the ringtone is Battle Against a True Hero from Undertale faded in over the first 5 seconds, and the notification sound is Navi yelling HEY

Also yeah most of the time it's on silent and I get vibrate notifications on my smartwatch

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 5, 2024

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

gently caress, taking calculus based physics in a condensed, online-only form factor may have been a mistake y’all. Just drowning in impostor syndrome while I’m just loving sweating through every homework, test and online lab. I’m putting way too much pressure on myself to keep a 4.0 I think but I also want to differentiate hard because of my age.
Aside from the 4.0 that's the normal experience with calc

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Well yikes, last time I went skiing was 9 years ago at Wilmot. Now I'm going skiing next weekend in Banff, better stick to the green dots.
Hell yeah, remember to stretch before and after. Which Banff resort? I've only skied Lake Louise up there but I loved it, downtown Banff is great too.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

You're worried about spoilers for a remake of a game that came out 27 years ago?

Its Rinaldo posted:

How many goddamn times do they need to tell FF7 jesus
As I understand it, they're sort of setting it as a sequel and there's time fuckery? Or something?

Just what I've cleaned from other conversations about it, having not played Remake myself

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Fwiw my wife and I are 100% on the same page when it comes to how a dishwasher should be loaded but one day we looked up the manual for something unrelated and saw how they suggested and immediately went "gently caress that they're wrong"

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

seiferguy posted:

The worst thing with dishes is to me, dishes in the sink signals the dishwasher is clean / full, and my wife always puts dishes in the sink rather than just putting it in the dishwasher, so it signals to me the dishwasher is full so then I start adding tings to the sink.

It's just a really dumb habit to break.
I've managed to standardize my household on "detergent in the dispenser means the dishes are dirty" and even the in-laws understand it now when they visit, it's great

a sexual elk posted:

I’ve never had one, but yeah I like to smoke and just fade out just doing dishes. Little vacation from dad life haha.
Similarly, I use it for social breaks during parties or when hosting dinner. Luckily there are always dishes that don't belong in the dishwasher.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

While we're on the subject why the gently caress do Circulon baking sheets have a rolled lip that traps water and starts rusting, who designed this poo poo :argh:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Not gonna lie this was the first thing I thought of when I saw this ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCX6H90RvPU
Last time I flew into Denver to visit the in-laws, I saw this exact ad and had the exact same thought.

Unrelated: the Dungeons and Dragons movie fuckin' rules.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

C-Euro posted:

The people who think they're too smart to be scammed are sometimes the easiest marks. Yes I realize that my last post on this subject was "lol just don't get scammed, ez"
You paid $10 to post on a comedy forum, checkmate :smug:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Banff looks amazing.

Heading to copper next week. First time heading out west in over 25 years.
Didn't you just catch covid? Careful with the physical activity (and also flying with other humans while still infectious)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

No, skiing is fun, I'm gonna go skiing and get rekt at Snowshoe next month just to spite you.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

hey, i know, how about let's not describe them
:hmmyes:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Timby posted:

That and not having to worry about snow removal.
Hah, good one!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

swickles posted:

I'm at Sheetz getting coffee and a breakfast sandwhich and the kitchen crew is blasting the theme from Neverending Story so I think we can close the book on Sheetz vs. Wawa now.
You can't add mozz sticks on top of a sandwich at Wawa so frankly I don't see how it's even a competition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Kalli posted:

I mean prior to that stuff Frank Drebin was a serious actor, it could maybe work if he just deadpans it as Taken guy while character actors goof around him.
It worked in that one scene from Ted