Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Buster Crabbe! :neckbeard:

I would say there has to be a limit on how hard an artist can flex on his contemporaries...

but I also want to see what reality Flash shifts into next. Will we see the 1982 version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Ahaha, called it, that's the style of 1982 animated Gordon and the sword from the 80's movie!

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Filling that glass right to the brim, huh?

At that point, you should just drop all pretense and drink straight from the bottle.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Green Intern posted:

Most prospective employers don’t look favorably on people who received a new job title and then immediately quit. Josh is so incredibly bad at playing people.

Josh is bad at people in general

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Wonder if Val is going to have to put yet another settlement to the torch if the governor pisses him off.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I don't mind the spoilered explanation, I will still be baffled by how Finnish is something people can be fluent in either way.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Nah it's not an odd choice at all. Tons of high schools are doing Spongebob now, I haven't seen one but a ton of Broadway shows have modified versions where they write around some of the bigger stunts or technical requirements specifically for high schools and community theaters. And production rights tend to be priced on a sort of sliding scale based on the size of the theater and the type of the institution--most of the time the cost is literally based on the number of seats the theater has. They're still not cheap but even a relatively recent Broadway show can cost around $2000 USD + some flat fee per performance for general production rights for high schools (sometimes more or less depending on where the school is located).

The big script houses know they'll make the vast majority of their licensing fees off of a show in the first couple of years after the rights are available, and high schools and colleges constitute a huge amount of that money, so they price newer shows so they price them out so they're expensive but still affordable.

Also never underestimate a high school theater director's willingness to reach way beyond their grasp when it comes to producing a show that doesn't fit their stage or the cast they have available. That said, I know a bunch of even the rural high schools around here manage to drum up casts in the dozens, and some of the bigger high schools have 40+.

My high school did a Little Shop of Horrors production where we (as in cast and crew highschoolers) designed and built the set and costumes. We had the flowershop on a pivot point with wheels, so it could be turned around for scene changes by just pushing on one end. This did have a flaw, however, when the piece that actually lets it pivot wasn't slotted in place for one show, and 8 people had to shove that thing into position while the live music stalled for time.
The Audrey 2 puppets were real good too. That director pushed for all the bells and whistles.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Dang god of three dimensional space, why must you change the curtains now?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Between the smug witch and now this inquisitor, the new Flash Gordon is bringing an energy I don't think I've seen in newspapers before

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Actually, going back and reading strips from days ago, there's some good foreshadowing I missed.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

amigolupus posted:

It's fascinating to compare how Wallace and Crabgrass are both doing these extended storylines. Crabgrass has done a few but they all feel a little long in the tooth. But Wallace manages to make the pacing feel brisk and concise by knowing which parts need some focus and which parts to skip over.

Also, Wallace's imaginary friend being this green dog-lion decked up to represent his Scottish heritage is adorable. He's not even mad Wallace had to let go of him when he became older, he's just proud and supportive that Wallace is growing up a good kid.

Much like Spud's imaginary friend feels like an outcome of his neuroses, Wallace's has that confidence that drives him to be a great friend.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Zereth posted:

Holy poo poo.

I'm not well versed in the history of For Better or Worse, is there something I'm missing?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Val is so proud of his eldest son reaching double digits in body count.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Doomykins posted:

I think she's going to waste another 6+ strips rephrasing "horses are an invasive species, this bothers Mark" because she's a hack who doesn't even have a basic script ready, seeing as we're about two years past the point of being polite.

This is worse than a college freshman encountering their first word count essay.

If one of my students turned in an essay like this, I'd be equally disappointed and doubting myself as an instructor.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

It doesn't beg the question, it raises the question.

So excited to get more of goth witch queen.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Are we going to see a returning character from decades ago in Modern Val?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I can't believe no one has said Ballard Street is their favorite! What has this thread come to?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

I can't tell where the dress ends and the throne starts, and that's probably by her design.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

... he's gonna have a heart attack or something in his chair after she goes to bed, isn't he?

Either that, or she's going to have a fall or something while she's getting ready for bed.

Only the finest non-stop action in Rex Morgan MD

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
It's beautiful, thank you for this blessing

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
And that is why you don't mess with the person making your food.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Man, the most interesting things to come out of Mary Worth are things like the Wilbur popping into frame edits.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

riderchop posted:

lol i was too sleepy to note this in the post but yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! the countdown begins: now

It's kind of wild to read this for the first time (since I didn't really grow up with the strip/this happened before I was born) but I feel like I've seen enough in the last couple years of strips to have some inkling of what is happening.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Welp, Modern Val knows where the stone is, so it's only a matter of time before Witgar dies and Val gets his sword back.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

thisusedyet posted:

Flash offered, Dale for some reason wouldn't let it happen

There's also the fact that they boarded the train right after breaking out of prison. Royal train or no, there probably isn't clothing in Bok's size at hand there.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

LvK posted:

I'm annoyed, is what I'm saying. But I still can't put myself in the headspace of the people who hate Wallace and/or Amelia in the GoComics comments.

I'd be worried if you could, that sort of headspace can't be healthy. No one should have the joy sucked out of their life for that.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

davidspackage posted:

...inert, apathetic, not actually caring or paying attention, only interested in my own problems.

Unless he falls off another boat.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Oh I'm sure Luann will absorb the slack

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Nick Buntline posted:

i understand expecting this comic to make any drat sense is a complete fool's errand

but what

you see, instead of euthanizing the lab mice (who are sentient), they get dna magicked into plants (who are sentient)

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

"and then my arm exploded"

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Vargo posted:

Curtis

Except that he totally has told you because we've definitely done this storyline like, less than five years ago. (And IIRC it was a bullshit story then too)

I thought the bullshit story was that the family was in witness protection?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Samovar posted:

Blueberry

You uh, might have a slight typo in that first date.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Didn't he get drunk and make a scene the last time he went to karaoke?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Is this before or after the whole "Threw my child out into a howling blizzard because they were being A Child and this is somehow Good Parenting" debacle?

Wait is that something she actually did, or something made up for the comic?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 12/11/60

Well, they don't have spider legs, but organizations like NOAA do use submersible remote operated vehicles to study the ocean floor.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I'm glad that, as a holy man, he chose not to use edged weapons.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

:lol: that you say that and then post the fever-dream that is Corto Maltese

(I'm sure i would like Corto Maltese, if i ever knew what was going on in it.)

I think the current Corto Maltese storyline is literally about a guy having a fever dream, but fair.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
How long has Wilbur been in the strip anyway? Will he be showing up in the Classic Mary Worth strips any time soon?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
This is the kind of end of year cleaning that calls for a flamethrower, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
The only surgery I've had was wisdom tooth removal, and I wasn't even fully under, but I do remember having a similar experience. I can distinctly recall seeing my own blood on the doctor's hand, and half hearing them start talking faster. Afterwards, they told me "Yeah, your heart rate spiked and we were concerned about it, but you seemed fine otherwise"