Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Wait, the Battle of Gravelines was real, but the rest wasn't? I'm really confused. I don't want to believe they're going with the last three loving years were "ALL A DREAM" bullshit but it definitely is reading that way.

I could be wrong, but I'm reading Diana's dialog as a weak shot at humor. Everything from the previous story happened, and the Phantom's dream is a new thing.

I mean, really - who wakes up to their partner saying they just had a dream and then immediately assumes that they were having the exact same dream? She has to be making a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay not to bait the bear, but has Randy ever sexually harassed someone or redone some strip with religious/Trumpy overtones?

Because I think you need to take that poo poo back.

I assume they meant "Gilchrist's obsession with lore and old characters plus tumbr politics" rather than "twee MAGA hat guy."

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Today's fantastic artist is Blevins, age 63.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

are we sure this isn't AI? It is legit weird as gently caress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bret_Blevins

Bret Belvins is a real guy with a lot of comic book credits. I think he might just be getting on in years or bad at producing at a daily comic strip rate.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

if anything Josh would be promoted to assistant manager, and then manager at the next new opening, not because he is good at his job, but, Lesson of Life, he has sucked up to the DM and is a good simp to him.

had Retail not ended, at some point he would have become DM over Marla while Stuart moved up in corporate. unless Josh got there first.

I might be misremembering the last run of Retail, but didn't Josh leave to go work at Delman's?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"Boy am I glad there's no danger of me finding out now that she's not my biological daughter!"

I suppose the good end of this plot is that he gets the results from the test and throws it away unread because he recognizes that family is more than DNA, etc.

The bad ending is that he finds out she isn't his daughter, and we get six more months of this miserable story.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing
Timg for boob

(Pashi is Percy from Thomas the Tank Engine.)

I know what's going on in that last panel, but all I can see is Kelly comic featuring dismayed boobs.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I get the feeling that the Steeple ending is a combo of Allison's habit of stopping and starting projects, plus a bit of disappointment over it getting dropped as a print comic.

Getting into middle age and still feeling dependent on patreon instead of the "real" comics industry must be difficult.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

100% comics first Ace.

I bet someone could squeeze an entire master's thesis out of comparing and contrasting Jughead and Wimpy. They both fill the roll of half sidekick - half comic foil. Yet Wimpy has had affairs with everyone up to and including the Sea Hag in a really non-sexual comic, while Jughead flees from girls in the horniest comic of the 1940s.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

LvK posted:

are you kidding me? This is our dramatic development? If the two old people want to buy a new chair????

oh, Rex Morgan. Never stop not-delivering. :allears:

Rex is one of the few strips that accept the true average age of the people who still read newspaper comics.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Green Intern posted:

Are we gearing up to this guy falling down and breaking something else in the middle of the convention?

Remember the last plot line with those two had one falling victim to an old person malady - then the other one doing the same thing.

The lady probably slipped and broke her hip in the food court and we'll spend a week listening to them compare and contrast their his and hers motorized recliners.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

"which Allison has since taken down" should be the title of his biography.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Selachian posted:

James Allen's departure from Mark Trail was most likely due to his using the official Mark Trail Twitter account to insult Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, although the syndicate didn't actually come out and say so. Although even before then he'd been showing way too much dependence on traced art, plus an inability to pace a story.

Not that Jules has been much of an improvement. She seems to have convinced herself that anyone criticizing the strip is just a bitter old fart who's mad that she's not exactly copying the Allen-Elrod style (and to be fair, there are quite a few bitter old farts who are mad at any change on the comics page).

The one thing I'll give the new Mark Trail is that it's not entirely clip art like the last iteration. Jules' art may be bad, but at least she's drawing it.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited, in which Curly comes out against raw milk. (May 29, 1925)

Farm to Table hipsters have been around for that long?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Blueberry

[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIzAfXcCX3c

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The_Other posted:

Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

One thing I really like about Allison is that - for as much as he likes writing about emo teens and mystery kids chasing skellingtons - if a story calls for a pile of corpses, he will deliver a pile of corpses.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I know the answer to why it's that way, but Blueberry's depiction of a fully metric old west always amuses me.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

Release the goose/wildlife at the lake far from the house is ok?
It’s not like he came back with a bunch of meat.

Sure. He took the goose to a farm upstate where it can run around with all its goose friends.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm just gonna ask, but does anyone actually want holbrook to be posted? on the individual comic level he's no oh baby but getting a shotgun blast of him everyday (backlog or no backlog all three of his comic strips are terrible) might make him worse on a quantitive level at least

That's a really good question.

I hate read every one of his strips, but they've been a presence in this thread for so long that I think I'd actually miss them if they were gone.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EndOfTheWorld posted:

There has to be a reason beyond Thing/Thing Japanese that explains why I find Rose Is Rose so annoying but consider We Are Reproducing so drat cute

We are Reproducing is mostly straight forward stories about normal things all toddlers do - it's easy to understand what's happening and match it to our own experiences. Even if you don't have a kid, you know what kids *are* and can match what's happening in the comic to that.

RiR, on the other hand, is such a heightened and amplified version of family life that it's become grotesque and unrelatable. If you were around people who constantly gurned and grimaced like the characters in that strip, you would be terrified. If you knew someone who made a huge deal about eating the most slightly spicy type of chili pepper, you would find them unbearably tedious. The behavior of very character in that strip is like the protective coloring on a poisonous animal - you just know instinctively to avoid it.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

God, what and why is Overboard

It doesn't offend me or anything, sometimes it's even amusing, but what the gently caress is going on there

I like to think of it as high functioning Computoons.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

So, isn't there also now a second Cobra floating around? I wonder if the writer will remember that at some point.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (August 21-23, 1944)

One of the things that low-key creeps me out about the idea of time traveling to the past is the idea of going back to pre-nail clipper days and having to cut my nails with a knife or scissors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

okay but what's the rubber hose and lamp for

They are interrogation cliches. First, you put someone under a lamp in a dark room, shining the light in their eyes to keep them disoriented and isolated. Then, you beat them with a rubber hose because it's painful but doesn't injure them enough to stop the interrogation.