Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

I mean, OK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Maybe don't do crimes while President?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

The Locator posted:

We'll allow kids to work full time instead of getting an education, but won't allow them to work enough to get overtime pay. lol.

Shortfalls on unskilled labor is pretty much the thing that immigration is meant to fix. The fact that Republicans are simultaneously the party of corporatism AND anti-immigration is bonkers.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

"We were honored when we found out" means our Super PAC paid for this song and we are legally obligated to pretend we didn't know what they were up to.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 10, 2024

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

hydroceramics posted:

Trump crime dilation: I thought that happened like at least a year beforehand.

It did. Jan. 3, 2020.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

This is exactly the poo poo that got Democrats to vote out McCarthy. The constant deal-making and then reneging is what dooms them, not just going against their party. The democrats are willing to vote to save a Speaker who actually keeps their word.

With him having a deal with Democrats and then killing it, he's guaranteeing either a shut-down or a motion to vacate. The democrats are NOT going to vote for any deal the Republicans propose.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Oscar Wild posted:

I got stuck in cedar rapids for a week during a blizzard. It sucked rear end.

I've lived in many snowy places. Iowa is EASILY the worst at dealing with it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Imagine getting worked up about things happening on college campuses. They have ALWAYS been places where you can, without fail, find the absolute worst takes, on every side of any debate. That's kinda their point.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

kazil posted:

it's also 100% horseshit

every one of them will pull the lever for Trump

This is the correct take. Maybe 1 in 10. MAYBE

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Buce posted:

aka morons

Something something class is a bigger motivator than race.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but Iowa isn't having a blizzard tonight, that was Friday into Saturday. It's just loving cold as hell. High was -3 today, and that was when the sun was out.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Jimlit posted:

Honestly though gently caress joe biden. The way he handled Palestine / Isreal definitely cost him my vote and a number of other straight ticket democrats in my circle. You can ignore it or call out CSPAM all you want but the hemorrhaging is real.

I will do you the courtesy of taking you seriously.

You are a moronic child.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Eric is 40 years old and still says "Daddy"

Ew

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

My hot take is that Biden is a better President than Obama was.

My second hot take is that Bush was a worse President than Trump.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

neen posted:

I hope this isn’t too E/N but since we are talking about the big wet boy and his electoral chances, I’ve been wondering if putting a pause on major life decisions until after the election is a reasonable idea. Long story short I am thinking of going to library school. Not sure if it’s worth trying to pursue any new professional skills though when it seems somewhat likely that Trump might win. Like is there any point in trying to improve my life if a dictatorship is around the corner? I know this thread is pretty sure that Trump would only win through some fuckery with the electoral college, and I’m hoping that it doesn’t come to that. I’m in Boston so I know I am relatively safe compared to Texas. But at the same time I’m not gonna be fooled like I was in 2016. I know the circumstances are different, but I also know the chuds are more delusional and gung ho on revenge than before. Idk I’m not sure where I’m going with this anymore, guess I’m wondering if other people are also putting things on hold until after the election .

I'm only going to say the same thing everyone else has said, but even assuming the worst, your education, the things you know, is the only thing that can't be taken away from you in the worst circumstances imaginable. You can lose your house, family, money, food, dignity, even your life. But no one can take your education from you.

Also, generally don't make your life decisions dependent on Trump. Chuds do that. Don't be a chud.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Aramis posted:

I don't know if I'd read much in to that tbh. The RIGGED and STOLLEN stuff is a shibboleth at this point.

Ya this is the type of thing the media loves to talk about but isn't worth mentioning. The media is either generating consensus and "horse-race" narratives OR they are desperate to apply some logic and consistency to what conservatives do because they are desperate for their own world-view to be validated. They can't bear to live in reality, that half this country would drown in their own spit of their brain didn't do things for them. Mainstream media desperately wants The West Wing to be real, and aren't ready to just admit that the right is completely unredeemable.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 16, 2024

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hospitalized with you know what

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

bobjr posted:

I don’t think there’s a great path but at the same time refusing to say anything bad about him and trying to suck up while he freely trashes you probably doesn’t help.

This is the right take. If you're too scared to attack someone directly because his cult of personality controls your electorate, this should lead you to two outcomes. Either you don't run at all because your voters aren't deciding based on policies. Or you attack and belittle him relentlessly to chip away at his support.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Coolguye posted:

it legitimately isn't relevant. your job as a lawyer is to present the strongest possible argument for your client, not to win.

however, a relevant followup question would be "procedurally speaking, did these cases go well?" and habba would still be hosed because no she FAFO'd hard

all that stuff is irrelevant anyway because she's going to get disbarred for her gross misconduct on other cases. at this point she'll be hoping to run up a congressional seat on a maga ticket, probably not realizing that maga as a movement is liable to scatter like a bunch of underage kids at a loud party when trump dies.

For those not aware, she's likely to be disbarred for something that's only barely related to these high-profile cases. Back when she was trying to get into Trump's good graces, she spoke with a woman on his behalf. That woman was suing Trump's golf club and Habba knew she was represented by counsel. Habba pretended to be her friend, got her to fire her attorney, and then accept a pittance of a settlement offer. Habba then ghosted the woman. The woman has since spoken with a very good employment attorney who has gotten the settlement thrown out on the basis of interference with the attorney-client relationship.

This is HUGE deal. You can bumble your way through high-profile media cases and lose and you're unlikely going to be in any ethical trouble. Or if you are in ethical trouble, the worst thing that happens is a re-trial for your client. The kind of ethical breach she conducted with the former Trump employee is nakedly unethical and there isn't any other way to spin it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

If passed that would be BOTH void for vague and unconstitutional as applied. Makes a fun bar exam essay I guess.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My Cousin Vinny is actually one of the most accurate trial movies ever made and is regularly referred to in law school. I think Legal Eagle has several videos on it.

The writer of the movie was a lawyer and was on set all the time. They noted that it was strange that there wasn't a stenographer in the courtroom so they tried to quickly cast one. They couldn't find any actors that were able to do it and look convincing so they opted to call the local court, got the names of some court reporters, and found one willing to do it for basically the same pay as they were making in court. The person they hired didn't know how to fake it, so they just took down all the dialogue in the scene as if it was normal court. Then they made an "official" transcript of the trial and gave it out to the actors at the cast party. I think that's really cool.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

rotinaj posted:

Jesus goddamn

It’s like she is channelling trungo as a medium, and he knows that stuff not being handed over during discovery is a no-no, but doesn’t understand how or why

I can sorta read between the lines and I think she's trying to get at two things; that Carroll wasn't really threatened or didn't take them seriously if she just deletes them, and that she acted underhandedly by deleting them.

The first point you make at closing, the second point is made simpler by establishing when the case was filed, and when the e-mails were deleted. Which she loving knows because they took depos. She's just grandstanding and federal judges won't let that slide. The thing is, it's not a stupid point to make, since her argument is that Carroll is exaggerating the harm to rack up damages and is trying to get a payday from a famous person. But she's so out of her depth that SHE looks like the underhanded one.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Is Trump going for a mistrial based on incompetent counsel? I mean, he already lost the trial, this is just for damages, I don't get what good it is having Lionel Habtz out there Magooing around.

You generally can't get a mistrial for poor representation from your own side. You can bring up poor counsel in an appeal or post-conviction action where you can ask for new trial and/or have your former attorney pay the damages or being such complete poo poo that it affected the outcome.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

rotinaj posted:

I mean, I guess, but I don’t see how Carrol’s reaction to random death threats should negatively impact the basic facts of the case, whether the former President of the loving US defamed her

I am not exasperated with you, just with the dumb loving reality I find myself in

I mean, if you're claiming you get death threats "every day" but then can't or won't produce them, the obvious argument is that you didn't take them seriously OR that you exaggerating and/or just making things up. It matters both for the damages and for Carroll's credibility generally.

But she's so out of her depth that her incompetence hurts her case. Again, they took depos. Habba should know roughly when Carroll started deleting emails based on discovery the plaintiff turned over. If she had stuff prepped, she could produce the evidence, have Carroll read them, and then make the point that Carroll is cherry-picking the worst of the worst and exaggerating the harm Trump caused.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Oscar Wild posted:

Wonder what hole she's going to be buried on.

Her body will increase the value of MAL by another billion.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

So she is not going to have to work again after this

Convenient because she probably won't work much after this.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Since this was right before the trial, I have to assume he was scribbling with a broad-tip red sharpie all over legal documents/notes and got red ink on him.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Captain Fargle posted:

I'm someone with a severe anxiety disorder and a lot of the doomer stuff and just news in general lately has been really getting to me. It's hard not to spiral a lot.

I'm looking for some reasurrance that it really is doomer poo poo and Trump isn't just going to sweep back into the White Hourse and put all my trans friends in camps.

Biden is still more likely to get re-elected right? That hasn't suddenly changed?

We're in a weird spot where everyone expects the Democrats to win the house while simultaneously Biden has about a 50 percent to win. Only thing to say is that his support will harden as we approach November and people start to actually pay attention.

I truly don't think he wins if his support for Israel stays this strong however. That war needs to end on it's own or he needs to get vocal about a cease fire. I also don't think focusing on Trump as a "threat to democracy" motivates a single vote he doesn't already have. He needs to talk about real things.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 21, 2024

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Uh oh Granddads hit the sauce and not making sense again
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1747818968549634411

Jesus Christ just wear your glasses man

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

DamnCanadian posted:

Okay all, I’m an undeclared voter in New Hampshire (but I definitely lean to the left) so I’ll have the choice of picking the Democratic ballot and writing in Biden, or taking the Republican ballot and voting for Haley. It’s only one vote, but I’m trying to decide which is the “smarter” decision. The most important outcome is keeping Trump out of office, but I’m concerned if Haley gets the nod, she might be more palatable than Biden to centrist/undecided voters in the general election. Any thoughts?

Trump is going to win the nomination. If you're looking to "send a message" make it be that Biden has strong support.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Jesus Christ he's loving losing it. He was a lying moron in 2016, but I don't remember him being anywhere close to how bad he is right now.

Who told him to get the new cognitive test? And if he "failed" what did they actually plan to do?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

His current rallies are very amateurish compared to his old ones. They'll probably be a little bit tighter once the rnc gives it's full backing and makes sure he's locked off

He also stopped filling big spaces so in these smaller rooms 5 activists sound like a lot

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

He really hasn't, though. Trump has always been a soft-brained moronic bully who refuses to engage with the world beyond how it benefits him directly, but he was coherent in his lovely words. Watch Trump in 2016 with his first round of Nazi rallies and compare that to 2019 and then 2022. There were people talking about early signs of dementia in 2016, then there were obvious signs of it when he had to "ace" his "intelligence" test, and then it was something that couldn't be ignored unless you were a cult member. There has absolutely been a cognitive decline and while Trump's handlers have tried to cover it up (incompetently), they're not able to even do that anymore.

I strongly suspect that Trump genuinely is not mentally competent to stand trial. He'd never go for it as a defense, of course, and it doesn't stop many of his legal problems, but if his lawyers and children pushed for it and had him undergo a proper evaluation, I think he'd fail hard.

It is clear he took another cognitive test very recently since he keeps talking about it and "passing" it. The unanswered question (and the one that the media is refusing to ask) is who the hell encouraged him to take said test? Was it his lawyers? His family? His campaign? Did he have a doctor suggest it privately and he's too stupid to not talk about it?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Aramis posted:

I sincerely hope her campaign reaches Austin Powers levels of "Why won't you die?!?".

It's seeming like the strategy is to stay in until he dies or goes to prison at which point the GOP has no choice but to give the nomination to the person with the next-most delegates won. She can't expect that she will actually win.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It wasn't that long ago that in my field it was considered a success if you landed a federal civil servant position. I don't think you could get me to take a fed job now. The whole Deep State narrative hooked directly into hostility toward civil servants and now the GOP is in a fight over who will "slit more throats" in the fed workforce when they take office. Vivek ran on amputating 50% of the workforce via SSN lottery and there was zero pushback on it. I think the entire work sector is going to be gutted the next time a Republican takes the White House.

You're just wrong. They will install a bunch of political operatives in the positions they can manage and they won't touch the lower-level people. They aren't actually serious about that crap.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Umm no, that's not what that means. It means GOP donors are donating to keep his campaign afloat because they think he hurts Biden more than he hurts Trump.

I don't know if that's true, but that's why his donors are more right-wing.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

It's always a little funny that the worst thing they can think to do to their political enemies is very pointedly and vocally NOT voice their opinion about something in an actionable way.

"I will protest this injustice by staying home and participating LESS in politics! Ha!"

It's also near the top of the list of why people get sick to death of leftist polices and straight-up ignore the left most of the time.

"So let me get this straight, you want all this stuff, are a nihilist if you don't get it, and you won't even vote to get this stuff you want? And now you want to act self-superior because you're a lazy crybaby? Enjoy not having a seat at the table." It's being hypocritical. You're trying to tell me this thing is the MOST important thing, and you are personally making your voting decision about it, but then you won't vote for it?

Voting is not a moral activity. And if you think voting IS a moral activity, you're telling on yourself because you're in such relative comfort that any outcome is unlikely to affect you.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Jesus talk about telling on yourself.

"All MY friends are unemployable losers voting for Trump!"

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

They're going to pretend like he never existed and how dare you bring up that divisive topic. We all just need to move on.

Same as the Iraq war basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Well with any hope Around August/September they republicans finally end up having another house leadership fight that's been brewing, and politics news just becomes all about that for a bit.

The freedom caucus always loves to be in the center spotlight of a gently caress up of their own causing, what ever election narrative the GOP want to create to be damned.

Nah HFC will get their Main Character narcissist fix from the election season. When the house breaks in June Mike Johnson will be locked in till next year.