Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

Can't believe Tom Izzo has such heartfelt feelings about college football.

It's weird, but Kansas basketball's conference championship streak ending plus COVID killing the season out of nowhere both kinda snapped me out of making sports such a weird vicarious outlet for all my gripes about life. Just really put it in perspective when you watch sports die because, no poo poo, a pandemic is going on.

Even though the Big Ten was very late to starting up again in 2020, it did feel like some sort of minor return to normalcy, even if the stadiums were empty and the teams weren't really trying all that hard. Sports as escapism in a time of national tragedy are still important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

What am I supposed to do for the next 7.5 months?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

College Basketbahahahah Michigan is terrible this year

It was basically like what my local emagine theatre was like too. They busted out the EMAX screen for us. Would've preferred if they opened Crisler Center for genpop, but it was still fun to have a huge movie theatre packed with Michigan fans yelling at a screen like the game can hear them.

Serious post I am going to a Penn State wrestling match Sunday

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Which locker room are they holding it in?

That's Ohio State

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Go get a better one on the transfer portal

We have this gently used Drew Allar. He'd be a much better fit at Michigan anyway

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I kinda like Harbaugh and agree with a lot of what he says, I just hate he coaches at Michigan

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

^^ I also agree that Harbaugh is the antidabo, which is good

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'd like another coach to chime in in agreement so I don't have to agree with the most Michigan Man to ever man Michigan

Franklin has never been as blunt as Harbaugh, but has been in favor of player compensation. He's one of the more progressive coaches on the issue. This probably doesn't help you having to agree with both the Michigan and Penn State coaches.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I go away for a few hours and come back to the offseason thread adding six pages, drat.

Like "where were you when Nick Saban retired" moment.

If it was 4 or 5 years ago, I might be worried James Franklin would be poached, but I don't think Franklin is attractive to the 5-ish top tier programs.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Adun posted:

Surely Bama already has their guy. Why would Saban just gently caress off without making sure Bama has a replacement lined up

It's Kiffin.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I'm taking the over because I think Bama is going to make their next coach the highest paid in college football by 20-25% and pull a big time name.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

So what you're saying here is that the Bear Bryant award winner will parlay this into the Alabama job

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

That was one of the best games I ever saw in my life

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

How much money to Phil Knight pony up to make Lanning the highest paid coach in college football?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

So do we think Arch hops in the portal or trusts that Quinn will get hurt as usual?

Portal is my bet

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

Sounds like Saban disclosed his plans to the AD in private awhile ago so they could prep for a smooth transition, and they kept it under wraps until after the season was over.

drat, that must've been a hard piece of news to keep quiet about.

Loose lips sink scholarships

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

People wising up. Impossible act to follow and all these candidates can get just as much money where they're at

That makes sense for Oregon and Texas to be sure, but Kiffin? I don't think Ole Miss can match Bama. But also Kiffin has a good thing going with maybe the #2 team in the SEC next season and much lower pressure to win it all every year than Bama.

I thought for sure Bama would get a homerun hire, but most of the homeruns are off the table already. We are slowly creeping toward the funny outcomes, like Dabo.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Unless DeBoer is a high school recruit that takes one team's sweatshirt off to reveal another team's T-shirt on signing day, there's no way he's going on local radio in Washington to announce he's taking the Alabama job.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

OneMoreTime posted:

Reported earlier, but here's a link: Deboer cancels radio appearance in wake of Alabama rumors.

https://awfulannouncing.com/college-football/washington-kalen-deboer-cancels-interview-alabama-rumors.html

he gone

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I feel bad for Washington fans, but at the same time, Washington is on Penn State's schedule now, so oh well. A weakened Washington is better for Penn State's playoff prospects.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Lmao penn states not doing poo poo regardless. They’ll have another solid defense with wins over weak programs and then flame out against anyone with a real team.

USC, UCLA, and Washington are weak programs

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

So you saying Franklin’s Penn State might be able to beat them?

Franklin's Penn State already beat Washington in the Fiesta Bowl. Franklin is only shook by Ohio State.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Non playoff bowls are meaningless (which makes me sad)

That's generally true now, but not really the case then. Both teams were legitimately invested in winning. Even Saquon Barkley played instead of opting out.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I mean, if your entire life revolves around watching TV, I guess every place is the same

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Gonz posted:

Somebody probably told him he was a second round pick.

Hence, by not hiring an agent, he went to Miami.

Seems like a good way to get some NIL money while not improving your own development or draft stock.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Pete Carroll in the Big Ten just doesn't compute for me

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

That seems like the best hire Washington could make

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

So that $240M shortfall is just in the athletic department? I don't understand how that can happen.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

1. It's really weird to announce you've interviewed a candidate unless that candidate has accepted the job. The Chargers look stupid if he doesn't take it.

2. Man, that sucks for Arizona. They need to bring in some temporary retread coach like Lovie Smith just to try to stabilize things for a year or two.

Manoueverable posted:

Honestly, there's going to have to be a lot done to convince me this hiring process won't result in a complete and utter disaster.

It does seem like a bad sign that the Arizona program was collapsing to some degree before Fisch even left, so I'm not sure that bodes well for Washington.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

What makes anyone think Ohio State is miraculously going to turn a corner offensively and be a number one team?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

whos that broooown posted:

Outside of last year, they've had one of the best offenses in college football under Day?

Going back to Troy Smith, it's been a constant rotating door of Heisman level QBs every year at Ohio State, but I have seen little evidence so far that they'll get back on track as quickly as next year.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Personally, I think we need to move the signing period back to Feb. and do away with early enrollments. I know the high school education system in the US has changed a lot in the last 20 years with two semesters of 90 minute classes, but I don't like the trend in our society of these kids foregoing half of their senior years just to get a head start in spring practices in college when they should be enjoying the last few months of their pre-adult lives.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Iowa has known they have needed a new OC since the end of October

They have still not hired one

Matt Canada was fired from the Steelers two months ago, so their OC is right there for the taking.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

In theory an NCAA game could be a big NIL equalizer in that you can throw a little money at every player in college football to use their real name, finally. However, by my calculation, there are around 11,000 scholarship players in FBS.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Functionally, I don't think you could do just P4 because the season schedules simply wouldn't feel "right" without G5 and you'd be leaving a lot of money on the table by shutting out all the potential game buyers who want to play as Kent State or whatever.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Seaniqua posted:

If you play as your favorite team in the video game, you're weak. My 5-peat Idaho Vandals national champions are the only dynasty I truly recognize

I used to take great pride in winning it all in Tecmo Super Bowl as the complete dogshit Colts or Patriots.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Why do these NFL teams keep announcing they've interviewed Harbaugh? Two NFL teams have interviewed him, so at least one of them is guaranteed to be turned down. It's like announcing to the school you asked a girl to prom and she's neither said yes nor no.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

How much pressure is DeBoer going to be under to deliver in year 1? Next year is looking like a rebuild with these roster departures and staff turnover. There hasn't been a rebuild year in Saban's entire tenure. Can the fanbase even handle 8-4 or 9-3?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

A Sneaker Broker posted:

How does Colorado not have a DC yet????

Maybe Colorado and Iowa should merge

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

lol I just remembered Iowa still hasn’t hired an OC.

Maybe Kirk will just design that offense and call plays, just for that extra Ferentz goodness. Like my buddy’s father in law who would brew a pot of coffee, pour it into the reservoir and brew another pot with the coffee as coffee water. Just More Ferentz.

Your friend should get his father in law an espresso maker for Christmas, drat. I'm making GBS threads my pants just thinking about that coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bama Rush could’ve been interesting but the filmmaker decided to make it about her struggles with having alopecia instead of about what those rushes were doing.

In the end, I was disappointed with Bama Rush because it seemed apologetic about the culture.