Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

turn off the TV posted:

i shot myself in the head with a grenade launcher this way

I've done the same. The grenade deflected vertically off a bug and came back down on me as I advanced. It must have gone high, because it took a while before it landed on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Basic Chunnel posted:

I played some cool sessions for an hour with a very experienced pub who seemed to be letting me do all the objectives… then I realized I received no rewards whatsoever for that play. Looks it was setting my level to 0 during the end session screen. Love it.

Years ago my favourite strat in Day of Defeat was to prone on top of the shower that stuck up from a bath in the middle of a street while a friend crouched in the bathtub below. The world's shittest bunker. Time to do that again, but taller and with more mobility.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Worf posted:

this was in response to a dev saying he was intentionally making customers angrier though

customer behavior aside, thats a poor thing to say publicly to people when you represent a company, specifically about their customers

A lot of places would fire you for saying it, even.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Worf posted:

even though i cant play this game because the servers are broken n dead right now for me, its still nice that somebody made a game thats a gigantic success and they charged almost half of what other people are charging and its one of the more fun and playable games ive played in a long time

yea i should have done this on the last one i actually played it would have given me the 2 super samples i need for 200% eagles of freedom

I'm really hoping that some studios are paying attention to things like this and Palword doing crazy numbers and putting 2+2 together to realise that a reasonable price makes an impulse buy (or a considered one for many) far more likely.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can the autocannon or recoilless rifle bring down a drop ship? Or is that just the realm of EAT & Spear?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Interesting, cheers. It's my new favourite pastime.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I haven't tried it in first person mode yet, but in third person it worked most of the time against air and ground for me. It seems to prefer that you crouch, but that might just be confirmation bias. Sadly it's unreliable at knocking down dropships because you can't force an engine hit. But it has supplanted the EAT as my "this feels great to use" anti-armour choice.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really enjoyed trying out the mech. Walking through the jungle mowing stuff down in support of my infantry buddy, or two of us suited up holding the extraction point. Very fun.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My experience of the suit was that it temporarily flips the tables and you become the walking death that ploughs through the horde. It felt fun, powerful, and cool.

I can't relate at all to that dour poo poo some other people have said about it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ijyt posted:

Nope! Frankly there should be an auto-destruct option to prevent the perfidious enemy from getting their actuators/claws on it.

I very strongly agree. An option to trigger a hellbomb built into the suit's core.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ion storms are an environmental hazard that do it temporarily. I don't mind those, but I do detest the delay that seems to be a difficulty setting thing.

Don't tell me primary weapons need to be not-great because you want me to use strats, then sabotage strats on almost every mission, fuckers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

flashman posted:

I'm like one for ten so don't feel bad. When they fix the spear tracking its going to be glorious

I genuinely wonder if it's meant to be mimicking real life ATGMs which use image recognition to lock and track the target. I've been using the spear a lot and it seems that fog/smoke make it have problems locking on. And getting a clear profile view of the target can also help it lock in.

Anway, I love it and want to marry it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I haven't tested it yet, but the Spray & Pray does seem good against bugs, yeah.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Captain Ironblood posted:

The spear just doesn't seem to lock-on half the time. What am I doing wrong? It'll just sit at the yellow status, juuuust before the green lock-on.

It seems to want a clear view of the target, both in terms of profile and smoke/dust etc. It's hard to say for sure though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I have never had much luck with the Eagle rocket pods. Mostly they seem to miss, or if they hit they don't appear to do any damage. I can't actually remember them taking down a charger or a hulk.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I'm on PC, and my brother is on ps5. He can't accept my friend request, and I can't accept his. It shows up in the socal tab, but when you try and click accept it doesn't do anything

We both have crossplay on, we both are updated to the most recent version. I'm going crazy here. Please help

This was posted to the Discord a couple of days ago.

"We successfully reproduced the issue preventing crossplay players from accepting friend requests. Our programmers are working to determine the root cause and find a resolution. As soon as we have more info, we'll update you!"

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm beginning to get a bit disenchanted with the game. I mostly play in a duo and we've been making our way up the difficulty levels, but the last few days it feels like there's just always a random spike in terms of spawn numbers or insane accuracy/clairvoyance from the robots. So we can't get the super samples because the mission just goes insane out of the blue. Or we're spawning in range of enemy mortars or whatever and getting pasted at the start.

And the more weapons I unlock the less I feel like there's a point to unlocking more because they are, mostly, wank. There's no excitement or anticipation for the new toy when all the toys are on a par with, or worse than, the assault rifle I started the game with.

In addition to all that, I feel like there are more bugs now than when I started weeks ago.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The punisher will stunlock them. The slugger can sometimes stunlock them. Sadly the scorcher does not, which is another thing that makes it feel bad to use, in my experience.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

William Bear posted:

I just played a mission on Ustotu to do the "kill 2 tanks" personal order. It's hell. There's a perpetual sandstorm that makes visibility poo poo, the heat dramatically reduces your stamina, there are earthquakes knocking you on your rear end every few minutes. All the while you're getting nailed by bots across the dunes that you can't see and you have no cover from.

I loved it!

Ustotu is one of my favourite worlds. It it beautiful to look at, in some light has the colour palette of the Dune film poster, and has terrain that makes pitched or running battles interesting. And you can spot the super sample rock from miles away.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The new flying bugs are not great. Just had a mission where by fluke we started near a bird roost, two secondaries, and a nest. Normally not an issue, but it was utterly impossible to escape or fight free, and we just died there. Because the flying bugs spawn stupidly quickly, are hard to hit in the sky even with a shotgun, and will near kill you if they hit in a swoop even after death. It becomes impossible to stop and call a stratagem, or reload your AT weapons.

Dealing with that on top of the usual charger spam and Bile titans is very far on the wrong side of "this is a fun challenge" and well into "this is broken and unfun."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mesadoram posted:

:mods:

How's the gas bomb? On paper it looks like a good area of denial, but I have a feeling it usually backfires.

It is actually a very very good stratagem for dropping on a bug breach as soon as the smoke comes up. It covers a large area and lingers, so while it won't outright kill them all like a lucky bomb can, it will weaken pretty much everything in the initial spawn.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can the laser canon break through a charger's head and kill it?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I would use the AMR, because I like the idea of it, if the crosshairs were actually zeroed. But they aren't so there's no point. In a sea of weapons ranging from good, through mostly okay, to outright bad, it is choosing the only gun with an actual handicap.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Retro42 posted:

I'm really trying to like the slugger as much as people are telling me it's great but something about it jut isn't working for me. I think it might be the increased smaller bug spawns. Dealing with the chaff mobs is not a one man job anymore and having a slugger to pick off my share PLUS handling bigger things just feels less than ideal.

I think it's better against bots than bugs. It can work, but it's a single target weapon with relatively low rate of fire, in a horde environment. For shotguns I'd take the punisher or breaker against bugs. Or maybe the dominator if it's just about taking on medium bugs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't think the game is always very accurate in reporting stratagem kill streaks. That said, if you want to get consistently decent numbers, dropping an orbital airburst will do murder against either a breach or a chasing mass causes havoc. Because it pulses there's time for more to spawn/move into the area.

I haven't used napalm or cluster bombs for a good while though so I'm not sure how they compare.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Guns not actually reloading after the reload sounds and animations have played is a tiny bit of an issue.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
i dive in a recoilless rifle with my wife

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Fighting bugs I tried out the plasma punisher today. It's not awful, but it crosses over a lot with the grenade launcher which I was also carrying. The other weapon I used for the first time was the knight SMG from the Super Citizen Edition. Once you adjust for the rate of fire and recoil the knight is amazing. Paired with a grenade launcher, supply pack, stun grenades, and EMS mortar/Eagle 500kg I was able to provide really good suppressive fire and general support for my team, while also acting as the hard drive caddy on those objectives.

The knight is probably going to be my general primary for bug missions now. It is the machine pistol on steroids and I love it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I assume most people fire it, realise they're looking at the sky and the gun is empty, and say it's poo poo. Like I said, if you can control it it is like a bigger version of the machine pistol. And it has an actually decent burst fire mode, if you're a coward.

I quite like the Sickle, but the the spin up time can be an issue when you're switching to it to deal with mid/close range enemies. I was using the grenade launcher, so I wanted something I could transition to as enemies closed, and the Knight seemed perfect for that role. And more important than any other consideration, it was fun to fire. Very SG-1.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You pay for the fancy bunny-ear armour and the arcade machine. The gun is just a bonus.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BitBasher posted:

Gold forget the gold shiny lined cape!

This is what peak performance looks like:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It gets you the Knight SMG, you can't get that any other way that I know of.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Recoilless rifles are really good on bot missions because of the ability to one-shot a dropship, and because you're carrying a stack of ammo you can hit multiple faster than you can call in an EAT. That said, I'm always torn between the RR and a Spear on bot runs just because the Spear is the most fun anti-tank to fire, and you can snipe bot assets from miles away.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The tactical benefit is that its cargo usually dies on impact. It can make a very large difference to whether or not a situation goes from rowdy to embuggered.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Psykmoe posted:

I was going to remark about the weird tribalism developing on the subreddit but I guess the call is coming from inside the house.

The official Discord has some properly normal people getting very invested in why one front isn't receiving support vs the other.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Turrets are the prime target of the Spear. It can kill them from across the map regardless of whether or not you can see the vents.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I like things like the jammer and the eye of Sauron in the bot missions.

I do very much dislike the things which gently caress with your stratagems as a basic part of deploying on certain difficulties though. Maybe once the primary and secondary guns have all been made usable we can have that, but for right now I want my strats.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SplitSoul posted:

It's the Kill X Bots/Bugs in a small area ones, I'm just wondering why they'd still be going after that long. Presumably they'd have finished or run out of reinforcements long before that.

Spawns stop once the goal is met on those maps. So if you can kill the enemies that are active at that point you can hunt around the map for any samples.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you're going to take something like the Stalwart for crowd control then you should have something like the Punisher for medium targets. For most missions I don't feel like the Stalwart's really a necessity though, between someone with an AC, and me carrying a Breaker.

Maybe on extermination missions, I could see an argument for it and a dog there. That said, the strongest argument is if you enjoy using it. It's by no means a bad option, and fun trumps any degree of efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you're against bots, Scorcher, grenade launcher with ammo pack, and stun grenades makes a very good combination. Scorcher will two-hit the walkers in the cab, or deal with infantry in a pinch. The grenade launcher can deal with everything , including Hulks (stun grenades come in here) and tanks. The ammo pack negates the main downside of both weapons, and you get the bonus of being a strong utility to the team as a whole as well.

If you're not feeling the Scorcher then the Punisher and Slugger both excel against bots. Punisher because it can stunlock Devastators (including the shield ones) and Berserkers; Slugger because it can punch through Devastators and kill walkers with leg/crotch shots.

And yes, the Liberator Penetrator is, despite its name, flaccid.