Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

There’s some real heavy foreshadowing in the dispatch about finishing Swift Disassembly Phase I. And I’m not talking about the part where it basically says “hey the bots are gonna get gunships soon”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

Stallion of Science

And so I’m not just piling on the name-train, a bit of armchair game design: The default movement speed is ridiculously slow, but juggling the stamina bar on long treks is lame. It would be better if sprint speed was the default and “sprinting” was like 2 seconds of really booking it. Then it could lock you into the old jogging speed while the stamina bar recharged, just long enough that juggling wouldn’t offer an advantage.

runchild
May 26, 2010

In light of today’s personal order, are there any tips n tricks for finding the optional objectives that don’t show up on the deployment map? I’d prefer it if this didn’t take 6 whole missions to complete.

runchild
May 26, 2010

The pitiful little pyrotechnics that go off when the flag fully raises are the funniest part.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I haven't seen it happen but I want to watch four players drop simultaneously 380 barrages. It would probably crash my game with the luck I've had so far.

Happens at the end of this video somebody posted in the thread a while back.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Zwabu posted:

I think this depends on whether you've spent most of your time being a PC or console player, having spent like 99 percent of my gaming time on PCs, trying to play shooter type games on a console just feels unplayable. I don't know if that adjustment is similar, easier or more difficult being a console player trying to play on PCs with a mouse and keyboard setup.

I can confirm that, as a lifelong controller player, I tried out mouse and keyboard and gave up very quickly. Controller works great, keyboard sounds like it works great (maybe with a few adjustments) so just use what you’re used to.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Had an odd moment last night where my brother and his buddy (on PS5) and I (on PC) got disconnected, but none of us left the mission. From their perspective I disappeared, and from my perspective I was suddenly running solo. I wrapped up the mission real quick and rejoined them back into the same mission I had just finished.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Eagle Airstrike is for fabricators facing away from you

This plus the AC deflection tactic makes bot fabs hilariously easy to shut down compared to bug holes.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Eediot Jedi posted:

Nope. Rebound the keys to the arrow keys, so I can run around but can't aim while inputting.

I was surprised when I first heard this wasn’t the default. On controller strats are on d-pad, so I just reach over with my right thumb to key them in while moving.

runchild
May 26, 2010

I ended up in a bug eradicate 8 when I quick joined a 4. Didn’t realize the host changed things until a bile titan snuck up behind me. It wasn’t easy but it was kinda dumb how much more manageable it was compared to bot eradicates at lower difficulties.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

So I'm thinking about buying this tonight, because I've heard it hyped up most everywhere, and it sounded like they fixed the problem with there not being enough server space.

All I know about it is 'it's Starship Troopers where you shoot antlions for democracy, but it has MGSV style movement'. Got the impression you could unlock gear, armor, weapons, etc.

Do games consist of you and three other people, or are you just part of a squad with a ton of other players on a map like in the Battlefield games?

Your idea of the game is missing a few things that make it special:
A) calling in lots of airstrikes and orbital bombardments and such
B) friendly fire
C) the hilarious consequences of A + B

runchild
May 26, 2010

I’m gonna be gone the rest of the day so I figured I’d hop on and complete the personal order, but I didn’t have time for 3 regular missions. So I figured I’d see how quickly I could solo 3 Trivials. The answer is extremely quickly if you choose propaganda tower missions. With a bit of luck you can land on the tower and finish the main objective before you even emerge from the pod.

runchild
May 26, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

most of the trivial maps are so small that you can just blow the tower up from extraction

I was on Helmire which has too many tall rocks but yeah on more open maps you can snipe it from miles away. I’m kinda torn because on the one hand it’s so trivial that it’s not very satisfying, but on the other hand it’s pretty funny.

runchild
May 26, 2010

That day where they had free EATs for everyone was fun, we filled the extract with so many support pods.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Just had an extract where me and one teammate fought a never-ending battle waiting for the third to do a corpse run. I was already annoyed at him for going after optional objectives when we were low on time and out of reinforcements, and of course he hits up the lab side objective on his way back. When he FINALLY gets back I hop on the shuttle and it just…takes off immediately. Either he and the other guy died at that exact second or it bugged out. And of course he had the super samples.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Google Butt posted:

is this game fun solo and with a controller

If by solo you mean without a premade group then yes, I’ve rarely had anything bad to say about the random players it matchmakes me with. If you mean turning off matchmaking and playing all by yourself then no, not really. Some folks will say otherwise but I wouldn’t bother.

Controller is great.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Sometimes team comp isn’t even a factor for difficulty, and the game just hands you a win on a silver platter. I ran a bot 7 last night where we cleared the whole map yet saw zero tanks, zero offensive buildings (turrets/jammers/etc), and a grand total of 5 or 6 hulks. It was all jetpack troopers and berserkers. We had 6 total deaths and at least half of them were friendly fire.

Of course, sometimes it does the opposite and punishes you for your hubris.

runchild
May 26, 2010

No thanks on the timer but adding a manual self destruct would replace “well it’s out of ammo, I guess I’ll just…leave it here” with something fun. Add that and fix the rocket aim and I’d be happy with them.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Half the time I fired the Airburst Rocket it immediately exploded in my face. My best guess is that it was proximity detecting walls off to the side (or possibly teammates, though some of the times I was definitely alone). But if that’s the case you can’t use it when you’re anywhere near cover or your team, which is a big downside. I also fired it directly into a heavy devastator’s backpack and it survived. So it’s a support weapon with a backpack and a stationary reload that’s really only good against large groups of weak enemies when you’re both far away and out in the open. I am now firmly on team Anti-Tank Mine.

Unfortunately that doesn’t matter when Penta is gonna be liberated before Choohe is even available. Once again the invisible supply lines make a major order more confusing than it needs to be.

runchild
May 26, 2010

I looked at the supply lines on Friday but I guess I got them backwards, because I thought we were gonna have to liberate Chort Bay first and that would open both of the MO planets at the same time. That would make more sense for a thing where the community is supposed to be competing with each other. Of course, it would make a lot more sense for the relevant planets to be immediately available instead of locked behind a mechanic that‘s only visible on a third party website.

runchild
May 26, 2010

I’ve only had to mute someone for background noise once. Honestly I expected more since I thought PS5 controllers had built-in mics that were on by default. Mostly it’s just silence, I feel like people on mic are pretty rare in most games these days. It’s a far cry from a decade ago where you had 12 year olds saying racist slurs every other game.

So mostly I rely on the in-game callouts. Still kind of hard to keep track of who’s saying what though, cause of the voice changing every death. It’s a very funny and clever detail, but kind of confusing.

runchild
May 26, 2010

No, ship modules are player specific.

runchild
May 26, 2010

If you haven’t given it a try yourself yet, the first minute and a half of this video is a perfect example of the average airburst launcher experience.

https://youtu.be/Lh0azGowau4?si=nO4wEz137EE4sddx

runchild
May 26, 2010

6 missions and not a single bile spewer. I guess I’m not getting those medals today. If only it counted nursery spewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

I played the hell out of this game for the first month or so but overall fairly dissapointed
with a few directions its taken.

I genuinely have no appetite for endless number tweaking and balance patches, its a loving co-op PvE game that doesnt even really have a whole lot of precise damage needs or serious endgame so I dont really understand the point of nerfing stuff, especially the more micro numbers and macro changes like cutting entire ammo capacities in half. Playtest your poo poo maybe? I really do not get why several guns have already been balance yoyoed. Among other difficulty balance stuff like patrol increases, etc Im finding myself more and more frustrated playing.

I get the sense its already started to sort of take the direction of balancing the game to cater towards the most hardcore players.

Im also kinda annoyed at the amount of premium warbonds theyve added already. $40 has quickly turned into $70+ and even when I was playing a ton, SC was pretty sparce in the game and certainly a grind to get 1k.

Ill probably come back in a few months or more to see if theyve managed to somehwhat finish their games balance and added a new free warbond but as of now Im definitely putting this game down. Good game that seems to be already falling into annoying Live Service traps.

ok