Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For SUPER EARTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The overwhelming lore of Helldivers

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The first game did have exp unlocks.

A big :thunk: at letting you buy unlocks with real money.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Diephoon posted:

From the official Discord:

Been reading steam reviews, there's a lot of "gameplay good" "battlepass bad" "this particular anti cheat is extremely bad". Aside from all that, there's a lot of negative reviews regarding crashing just from trying to access the escape menu, or doing something as simple as changing your character appearance. Also plenty of reviews mentioning the non-functional quickplay. It's possible that the game can be crunched into a semblance of stability by the weekend but I'm probably gonna wait on this for a while to see how it shakes out.

:same:, technical issues need to be fixed and need more evidence that the weird post purchase monetization doesn’t suck overmuch.

it’s weird that they didn’t do any wider public or invite based playtests before release that would have smoothed some of this out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

How is Darktide after all the bug fixing and balancing now? I dropped it a month or two in

At this point darktide is solid and a pretty safe rec as long as it doesn’t hate your PC, I’d say it originally launched good with five asterisks but at this point it’s good with one asterisk

Also if you’re waiting for helldivers 2 issues to be fixed like I am, I revisited the first game the other week and it still really holds up. great game if you have a full group of friends for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In the first game the escape ship is invincible and you should always send off the mission with a shredder missile for good measure

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

cyborg nam :gonk:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there anything like the dumdum from hd1, that was my favorite call in weapon

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

That's literally the autocannon

Ok I will unlock this ASAP

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

drat stalkers are insanely coked up compared to the first game where they would do nothing and drop to a stiff breeze. Do they only ever spawn from stalker lairs? Like if you see one then is tracing it back to its lair when it runs away a viable way to stop them from spawning for that mission?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This weekend is gonna be unplayable lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Game's at roughly 40x the first game's peak on steam and counting, pretty understandable that the servers are on fire

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Joining a game's official discord seems like a quick way to develop a deep and seething hate for its community

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Virginia Slams posted:

What's everyone think of this games staying power? I was thinking about getting it and I know it's huge right now but for whatever reason, to me at least, it looks like a game that is gonna die out fairly fast. I am probably wrong and I can't really put into words why I feel that way but I just do.

It definitely has enough value to be worth the $40 so who care

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BitBasher posted:

I have literally never seen that? And when I have in the past in other games it was my video card dying.

I’ve seen it a number of times in HD2 in the few missions I was able to get into before the weekend

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dog nougat posted:

"Killed by own grenade"

"Killed entire squad with mortar sentry"

Identified as a traitor by artillery

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They should have the AFK timer be a lengthy "surface to orbit defense countermeasure" Stratagem Popup on the bridge. If you don't do it, you get logged out. Other people on the same planet get to watch another Super Destroyer out there explode.

:sickos:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

JonBolds posted:

Relatively peaceful extragalactic psychic alien colonists with hyper-advanced technology and electrical skin. Due to their tech being more advanced than Super Earth it was decided they must have planet-destroying WMDs and so Super Earth invaded them. Obviously they did not have WMDs and the Super Earth corporations just wanted to loot their tech to make stuff like our shield domes and the arc projector.

Lots of jokes like "wow we liberated this planet just in time before they could deploy the WMDs!"

e: you had to dodge lots of bullets and light wall shields and stuff while avoiding incoming enemy melee. they had a particularly hated/hellish psychic power guy that reversed your controls.

I am not looking forward to the return of that loving wall ball

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

Is it just me or is this game kinda hard as balls? Like I comfortably play DRG on the highest difficulty, sometimes modded to be even higher, but even difficulty 3 missions here can get really punishing in a way that just feels exhausting.

Use the map to see nearby patrols and don’t shoot them if you don’t have to. they don’t see very far and many of them can be given the slip, especially if you know they’re moving to investigate gunfire at some particular spot. if you aren’t fighting over an objective you need to be at, disengage instead of staying in one place fighting waves forever. A whole lot of combat is avoidable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's a reason you get 20 respawns a mission. The first game had infinite respawns and even more instant kills (they were generally more common than the hits you could even survive)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

can't believe they haven't just cranked up the giant "more server" dial that linearly eats money and spits out server capacity, devs please

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

Ugh, got past black screen and then past defrosting helldiver, but then I got the "Servers at capacity yada yada" thing and after the retrying counter finished, I guess it just never tried because I never saw the message again :(

I waited with it alt tabbed for 45 minutes without getting in, and the "servers at capacity/reconnecting" vanished without return after around 20 minutes. no idea if it was still retrying after that, but guess I'm waiting the patch to boot the AFKs either way. haven't had a match since before the weekend.

redreader posted:

For those who got past the black screen: do you just wait at the black screen, and if you're lucky something happens?

pretty much, after an arbitrary amount of time it eventually makes it to the main screen (where you'll then get any of -1, 10002038, servers at capacity, or login limit reached) but I've never made it past both the black screen and those.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

can’t believe people would leave negative reviews on a straight up unplayable game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CainFortea posted:

I guess my 4 hours of play last night must have been a hallucination!

and furthermore, everyone with a different experience than you is lying

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Marlow posted:

Found another gem:

changed my mind, I actually hope they don’t add any more server space

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dinosaurs! posted:

I'm curious about what future content Arrowhead is planning, especially with the game's runaway success and the news they're hiring additional staff. I loved the first game, but did feel burnt out on the content after a few weeks of, admittedly, avid playing. The sequel similarly has its hooks in me and raids or GTA-heist-style operations are pretty appealing. HD1 had the enemy homeworld boss missions at the end of wars, which I'm assuming we'll see soon. I didn't play long enough to see if end game content was eventually added.

Of the three original factions, Illuminates were my least favorite. I can't say I miss them or am itching to see them return, but they were definitely a unique playstyle. I wonder what they'll come up with that aren't just reskins of the bugs melee hordes or bots ranged attacks.

illuminates were nice for not having quite as much mandatory antitank but the reversed controls and wall balls could be pretty infuriating.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Failing the login lottery should be animated as your hellpod landing on a minefield or going down a chasm

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Comptroller of Family Values

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

none of this would have happened if they had just made the game worse. classic mistake, making your game good instead of bad

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Waroduce posted:

What is the endgame loop of Helldivers?

logging in successfully

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Direct joining bypassing the login lottery is baffling and I can only guess it works by making your game bang on the door to get in as soon as there's a spot instead of just checking once every 50 seconds like the login screen does

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

Sometimes with the eyes of sauron they can be bugged and not have a suitable "landing" spot for the hellbomb near them so the strat just rolls around until it bounces super far away.

I found theres a spot a little down the path from the tower near the closest bunker that still lets the hellbomb land and is close enough to destroy the tower.

Its pretty annoying

Ok good to know, I was in that match and it was really weird seeing the stratagem bounce around never turning into the beacon 3 times in a row so we just left it while the tower summoned endless dropships on us at extraction

Does the eagle 500kg bomb work instead? or anything else faster than the hellbomb?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Every reinforce giving you a random voice is such a great touch that really sells how you aren’t respawning, you’re just controlling a different sacrifice to the altar of imperialism HERO OF SUPER EARTH who has a shelf life of 90 seconds

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

This would be amazing. Couple it with loadouts.

Helldiver gun game would be a good map modifier

Hope you enjoyed your one gatling turret and railcannon strike because those stratagem slots are now landmines and 380mm artillery

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

what’s the point of the machine gun sentry compared to gatling?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

jokes posted:

Is there a way to skip the post-mission poo poo because holy goddamn is it boring, I'd like to DIVE DIVE DIVE

Once they get out of crisis mode I think shortening the mission summary is one of the first things they'll do, it seems like a common complaint and it's definitely very glacial

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

patch has restored freedom, I was able to get in twice instantly during prime time with no issues.

Janissary Hop posted:

The only bad experience I have is when I hit quickplay and get paired up with two or three morons who go wtf how is someone joining??? what's happening??? get out!!! and then I ignore the impulse to blow out my mic screaming because you don't have friends only enabled dumbasses!!!!!! and just leave. Otherwise playing with randos has been very enjoyable.

it's really easy to throw the SOS beacon by accident because it's like 1 input off from reinforce and activating it once persists across missions.

I'm unable to invite at all when my lobby is set to friends only, the game says it's private and blocks them from joining. So I have to set it to public, invite, and set back to friends only to keep pubs out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

team-loaded recoilless rifle is sick when it works except every time we tried to use it was a coinflip whether it would bug out and instantly cancel the reload animation until we swapped who had the RR and who had the support pack. feels like too much of a liability to count on until that's fixed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

There's definitely more to armour pen than Light/Medium/(presumably) Heavy, based on my anecdotal experience. For example the Breaker Spray & Pray will bounce off a Brood Commander's head, yet all the other "Light" penetration primaries (and secondaries) will penetrate their head just fine. Same with the AMR versus Striders, Hulk heads, and the heat vent weakpoints on tanks and turrets, as other "Med" penetration weapons do not damage those.

There also seems to be some element of damage reduction for armour that get penetrated, but presumably not fully. To use the Brood Commander* as an example again, I've shot quite a few of them now with the MG-43 and Stalwart, and the Stalwart takes like 3x or 4x as long to take a commander's head off compared to the MG-43, and the Stalwart certainly does not do 1/3rd or 1/4th the raw DPS of the MG-43. Also, while I have to check this one again because it's been a while since I tried the regular Liberator for this, it feels like the AP Liberator kills the Brood Commander to the head in less bullets compared to the regular Liberator, despite doing less damage per shot.

*I hate Brood Commanders

With many weapons it feels a lot faster to kill a a couple of the bug types by shooting off their two front legs instead of shooting them in the head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it feels like if you see one your top priority needs to be tracking it back to its nest and shutting it down immediately.