Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Can't wait to earn my cape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
As someone who's going to only be playing with this friends, I don't really care if some super whale wants to buy a gun that does extra damage somewhere else in the world faster than just grabbing SC via missions.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I guess quick play isn't working right now, which is a shame. Can't join anyones games

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Diephoon posted:

From the official Discord:

Been reading steam reviews, there's a lot of "gameplay good" "battlepass bad" "this particular anti cheat is extremely bad". Aside from all that, there's a lot of negative reviews regarding crashing just from trying to access the escape menu, or doing something as simple as changing your character appearance. Also plenty of reviews mentioning the non-functional quickplay. It's possible that the game can be crunched into a semblance of stability by the weekend but I'm probably gonna wait on this for a while to see how it shakes out.

The changing stuff crash only happens if you try to swap stuff before the first mission. After that its worked fine (for me at least).

Aside from that, playing alone seems good, i've had a couple of hairy moments where i've had to dive away from a horde as my gun runs out, swap to my pistol while on the floor, spam the gently caress out of whoevers closest to me before trying to get out of dodge.

Controls and plays real well.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah turn off crossplay and the matchmaking is fixed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So far i've been doing fine just calling down expendable anti tanks if i'm solo playing to kill chargers, but whenever i have friends its so absolutely satisfying to just have two of us buddy up on the recoilless to completely shred them.

If you have a third guy with a supply pack you can fire for even longer. Me and a buddy went to clear off a side nest on our own as we were playing in a four stack and trusted the other two, would not have been able to do that with a random due to the heavies, but because we're both working together to take down the big ones, its barely a step to get over.

Also the grenade launcher absolutely fucks on the "seal the holes" missions because you can roll up to a nest and just fire it into every nest from a mile away.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gamerofthegame posted:

grenade launcher lets you kill holes from afar so that's already top tier, but it's still taking up a slot for dealing with armored enemies.

We also found that it kills those bile spewers really, really loving quickly, with like 2 grenades. Was better than using anti tank on them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We decided it wasn't really worth bringing the recoiless over to the bots, at most you'll likely want EAT for the possible tanks and even then they're slow enough you can likely just orbital them.

The bots are loving terrifying if you don't get a handle on the situation though. We ended up completely nuking patrols as fast as possible to stop them from getting off a flare because otherwise you're fighting for 10 minutes. The HMG emplacement, if you can get it set up and in a good spot will shred them though, most of what they bring gets completely annihilated.

Also the autocannon can two tap hulks in the head.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ZeusCannon posted:

Whats the plan for hulks?

Just autocannon them in the face, two will do it.

ZeusCannon posted:

That reminds me with the recoilless rifle to get team reloads does a teammate need to wear the back pack?

Nope, you can wear it yourself, its just a slower reload.

edit: haaaa i'm dumb, thats what i get for posting after like 10 hours of playing

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 10, 2024

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We bring EAT but we've mostly found that running rocket turrets and autocannon turrets + a couple laser backpacks is about all you need to heavies up to suicide mission difficulty.

I've starting bringing the eagle 500kg bomb for bile titans because it one shots them. We do spend a lot of the game just kiting chargers but tbh its not that hard to do and when we actually need to set up we have enough heavy stuff to put down that everything explodes.

Also for the love of god do not let brood commanders scream, i did a pub mission with one where i joined and there was a couple screaming, every time they did a new bile titan spawned. At one point i had three of the fuckers chasing me.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Charger wise: blowing off an armour piece and unloading into the leg will reliably kill them extremely fast.

Explosive rounds just do more damage to weak spots, so that's the use case of all the weapons tagged explosive. If you blow off a chunk of armour and swap to a gun with explosive rounds, it'll go down incredibly quickly. This is actually why grenades kill the bile spewers so quickly.

Patrol chat: Robots and bugs will actively investigate sound. I got trapped with a patrol between my team and me, so i fired a round off into the sky and looped around. The patrol went to investigate and I just left, didn't spawn a fight.

Bile titan's weak spot is the mouth and if you are brave you can just hit the mouth with four unsafe levels of charge railgun shots, it'll kill them. Failing that, you can do the same thing as the charger and blow off leg armour then hit that with explosives for way more damage than the regular guns.

Worth noting that even with the armour blown off, non-explosive ammo does 90% less damage to the exposed bit than explosive stuff does. That's why you actually bring the liberator explosive/grenade launcher/etc.

Bile spewers don't actually need to be dived, just move left to right/right to left and it'll fire where you were, not where you are moving to. I ran circles around a swarm for two minutes as the last survivor for a solo extract (on extreme) with almost no ammo and the bugs couldn't touch me. Only time I turned around to fire is when I could pick up a dead teammates rifle to clear whatever was getting too close.

E: Also the shield pack is legit amazing. It also stops bug melee hits, including the only things that hit me (which are stalkers). I'm actually starting to get lazy with it on because I know i can just tank a couple hits. At this point I can reliably go gently caress off to a heavy bug nest on my own and close it.

Robots I cannot, too many rockets.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 12, 2024

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Internet Explorer posted:

Okay the game is a ton of fun but no way, going to have to disagree with this and it's not even close.

I agree with the better than darktide on the atmosphere front. I am absolutely all in on the dumb super earth patriotism. Darktide I wasn't, it was kinda fun for the whole purge the heretic thing but it just doesn't feel nearly as intense as helldivers, for me.

Retro42 posted:

It's not about the time you've spent, it's about the artillery you've called in along the way.

Serious though: Most mission types can be done fairly quick just by focusing on them, the overall rewards aren't THAT different if you spend 40 minutes vs 10 minutes so if you're one of those leveling efficiency types you'll want to rush thru. But, more often than not my buddy and I would spend most of the mission timer detouring towards every bug hill/POI just for the chance to blow something else up.

And its honestly worth it for a chance at super credits. My group is now good enough that we can pretty reliably peel off from eachother and grab poi's so our super credit/sample income has gone up massively.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 12, 2024

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Quote is not edit

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Coolness Averted posted:

Sure you can! Unless you're playing on the highest difficulties and need to min/max, you'll probably be fine.

Honestly, even at helldiver difficulty i'm just wearing whatever I want. I've noticed 6 grenades makes the biggest difference for bugs but it doesn't really matter because i can just strike the gently caress out of bug nests anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Typical Pubbie posted:

I've been playing since launch and haven't noticed behavior like this. Not only are the patrol spawns relentless, they're also quicker to call in reinforcements. Maybe the game has given me Super PTSD.

This is a couple pages back, but you can test this any time. Go stand near a patrol, fire off a round (not at them) and then go hide. They'll move to your last position. I use this occasionally to pull patrols away from teammates who are about to be walked on.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Fire shotgun's main use is just hammering into a swarm from midrange and watching it all die before it gets to you. It's the weapon I used to get the 100 fire kills in one mission achievement.

If you're closer, use the breaker though. It's better for straight killing. Fire shotgun is just to apply that massive AOE with its spread and then you keep walking.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's still wild to me that i find the 500kg less useful than the standard eagle airstrike.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

idiotsavant posted:

I prefer the anti-tank missiles vs bugs just because it lets you use the laser drone, too, and laser drone is so loving good vs bugs. Especially in higher difficulties where you’re doing a lot more scrambling while it maintains its dps. My go-to bug loadout is something like eagle airstrike, eagle cluster, laser drone, ATM, breaker shotgun. The only thing I have trouble with is bile titans cause I don’t really know their weak points well & 2 ATMs isn’t really enough for them, but chargers are super easy now. Uncover a leg with the ATM and clean it up with a single breaker clip. If AC breaks charger leg armor with two correct shots I’m tempted to switch but also losing the drone is rough

I actually run the spear, orbital railcannon, autocannon sentry and eagle airstrike if i'm on heavy killing duty. My kills always look a bit rear end with that loadout compared the the laser drone boys but we don't have an issue with anything heavy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nuebot posted:

Finally played last night, fun game. It really does play like the first one but with a different point of view. My daily challenge thing was to kill 20 scouts and I didn't manage a single one, is there any easy way to find out what you're looking for, for that kind of thing? Also; any pro-tips for earning SC? I managed to nab an extra 20 out of nowhere during one of the missions but didn't see how while running around in all the chaos.

Scouts is likely scout walkers, they're the robot AT-ST looking things

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 14, 2024

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Your team kills also add to those objectives. There's no way i did the 400 automaton kills on one mission but everyone on my team killed at least 100 so it popped after one.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lord Packinham posted:

I don’t know if it’s right or wrong but I kick people who run off solo in my game, if you want to play by yourself then play solo.

You'd kick half my group, we regularly have someone split off to clear out a nest or grab a side objective while everyone else continues the rolling fight over to the main objectives. You're just loving yourself out of xp/medals/samples/super credits.

Mulva posted:

Early on, like pre-level 10 stuff, the single greatest upgrade you can get is probably the rocket launcher. It only has a 30 second cooldown and it has 2 shots, and your biggest problem before you get really good gear is dealing with heavy targets. 2 shots with the rocket launcher can take out a Charger most of the time, and if it doesn't you are probably ready to call in another 2.

The pro tip honestly is not to even bother shooting two. Shoot the leg, swap to primary, magdump it and it'll go down. Then if you have two chargers you can just do it twice.

We had people complaining that antitank wasn't effective enough against chargers until we realised that they go down incredibly quickly to the legshot strategy. If you desperately need it down you fire at the same leg twice with AT but its almost a waste.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fishstick posted:

Hellbombs need some tweaks. It should not be this finnicky to do a destroy location objective. We had a few games just now where first on one objective the goddamn strategem pokeball couldnt be placed anywhere actually near the tower - it would just roll infinitely. And the closest actually deployable location was 20ft away from the tower which obviously means its out of range of a HELL BOMB.

Then during silo destruction the bomb despawned twice - meaning we called it in, armed it, ran away - and then nothing happened and the boom poofed. Took like 5 minutes of calling, arming, running and trying to see if we could destroy this one poor silo.

I feel like if it's a localized strategem specific to destruction objectives - it should guaranteed destroy said objectives if you place it anywhere within the call ring.

So, i've had a few times where a charger has followed me in so i orbital railgun it. It set off the objective to destroy the base too, despite it still standing.

Maybe bring that along just in case.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Can an orbital rail cannon take out a titan? It seems like a waste of a slot otherwise...

No, but it does seem to take out the rogue labs if you throw it into the middle of there.

I have no idea why, but it keeps happening.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yes. I like to run the shield backpack so i get eats instead of anything that requires backpack support.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Phenotype posted:

How do you use something like that? You just call it down, use it once, and then it's gone? Are you just using your primary most of the time, then? I usually get the starter machine gun or the LMG and so I'm used to using the support weapon for 90% of the mission. I tried the laser once, but the cooldown on it is really long, so once I lost it and died I was stuck with my primary for a long stretch of time.

Call it down at the start of the mission and chuck one on your back, use your primary for most things. If you're not shooting every patrol (and you shouldn't be) you should be in a position where you can call one down for a big planned fight, which gives you three shots.

On your own that should deal with most armoured threats (if you're feeling lazy you can shoot a charger in the leg twice with a rocket for an kill) and if your team has any AT (most people bring something) anything else will also get cleaned up.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You can't buy samples.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tommy the Newt posted:

Don't worry I'm still here.

Yes, I'm glad the bots are back after 2 days. What do you want me to tell you? Is this a gotcha?

Did you not play the first helldivers? It's kinda the cycle of the game, lol.

I missed the part where you complained though, maybe someone already told you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My girlfriend refuses to use anything other than the laser cannon so i've been exclusively taking her to ice planets as to not ruin her fun.

It does indeed seem like a lot of fun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

turn off the TV posted:

The temperature modifiers don't seem to matter all that much.

It does seem kinda noticeable if you go directly from hot to cold or vice versa. That being said, my 20 seconds of googling can't actually find any numbers on the difference.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I didn't really use it in the first place because i prefer big booms, but if I pick one up it still fucks. It just no longer fucks better than the dedicated anti tank stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Crows Turn Off posted:

Didn't they say they knew about it and didn't say anything until now, presumably to increase sales?

They've said they turned it off to avoid server fires and warned Sony that turning it back on was going to cause issues.