Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Freaquency posted:

Lamar is cool and good and it sucks that the takeaway from this game is going to be a bunch of dipshit First Take level opinions

Defense on both sides absolutely balled out

Lamar absolutely deserves about 50% of it.

Like come on he threw into triple coverage on 2nd down in fg range. Hes done this sort of stupid poo poo before. The takes arent completely invalid

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

As soon as we drew the Chiefs I knew there was no way the nfl was letting the Ravens win that game, alas.

The NFL didnt make Zay Flowers fumble or Lamar throw into triple coverage, or the Ravens to never run the ball throughout the game

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

I can't wait for a breakdown of what the Chiefs did to completely neuter the Ravens offense. I wonder if it was a fluke that just snowballed or if it's going to be like that Dolphins game a few years ago where suddenly everyone had the kryptonite to make Lamar look human again.

I mean its as simple as dominating up front. There isnt really a secret to it. And the Ravens had no answer for it

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I was moving poo poo all day and couldn't watch the game. :mad:

Are Ravens biggest fraud of all?

We definitely were not blow-out-good-teams-all year- good even though that somehow happened

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

why did they get spooked out of the run in the 1st quarter

God only knows. Same bullshit happened in the Titans game. No idea why Lamar felt the need to try to outduel mahomes

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah, you have to be pretty stupid to think this game means Lamar isn't fantastic. With a healthy Andrews and Keaton Mitchell this would have been a blowout the way the defense played.

It means Lamar is very good but no hes no Mahomes and probably not Josh Allen either. And it is very unlikely we will win a championship with him. Not saying we made a mistake signing him. But its the unfortunate truth.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Probably at the Baker Mayfield level

Above that!!!! Like a B+ level guy but not in the top tier.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Lmao Kawalimus is in nirvana right now

Congrats man

We were absolutely losing to the 49ers in a rematch so if they win i am really relieved

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Freaquency posted:

The Ravens are going to announce next week that they signed Harbs to a 10-year extension and he’ll spontaneously combust

I dont see how you can watch that game and not think the Ravens need someone else in charge

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Freaquency posted:

Because I watched all of the other games this season, and the seasons before that too

Well yeah but in the playoffs when it matters the most weve done the absolute dumbest poo poo three losses in a row.

Pick 6 vs Buffalo

99yd fumble return against the Bengals

This whole game basically.

Yeah I hate the whole playoffs are the only important thing narrative and value the season more than most. But this team has absolutely bumbled away their last three straight playoff losses

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

People who thought the Lamar-in-playoffs narrative was over after last week, it's going to get so much worse now if anything. Likely 2 MVP years, 1 playoff win total during them, and this was his healthiest (only healthy) year period. Hard to think he'd get a better chance

edit: Also this

. gently caress dynasties forever

Yep. And I think Lamar himself would admit its warranted

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

pro starcraft loser posted:

Please fire him so the Commanders can pick him up. He probably wouldn't even need to move!

Take him! You'll quickly realize how useless he is. He doesnt contribute to gameplans or playcalling AT ALL!!!!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Freaquency posted:

He has gone farther with Lamar pretty much every year he’s had him. At this rate he will be winning the super secret Triple Super Bowl in 2027

You seem to think that we can just go out there and hire an Andy Reid when there’s only one of him, and he coaches for the other team we just played.

We had a great team this year thats not going to be as good next year. This was our chance and we blew it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Just like 2011

That is true and thats what we have to hope for

Again play for the 7th seed.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Black Sunshine posted:

The Ravens are 0-1 in home conference championship games. What a sad and pathetic failure of a franchise lol

Forever tainted!

We're a garbage home playoff team. Nothing to protect

We played a better game(aside from the fumble return) last year on the road with HUNTLEY

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

lol “We”, you literally root against them

No I dont??? Except that 2017 debacle yes I was rooting against them cause we absolutely didnt belong in the playoffs.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

Lamar had given up on the game halfway through the 4th. Great regular season though.

I dont think that. Honestly if Flowers doesnt fumble there theres a very good chance we win.

You just cant throw into triple coverage like that on 2nd down. If its 4th down and nothings open and you cant get a first yeah its forgivable but not on 2nd down when youre moving the ball and a FG is acceptable if maybe not ideal.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm not sure Mahomes played any better than Lamar today. He had the better supporting cast. By which I mean the refs.

Mahomes played 100% better than Lamar, come on. We dont have to sugarcoat it. If only because he didnt fumble and didnt even throw a near-interceptiok

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Lamar had the fumble where he held it way too long, like two near-interceptions, and one completely boneheaded one into triple coverage.

Hes had worse games. But this was bad.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Felt like Lamar should have ran way, way more. Designed runs, scrambles, didn’t do nearly enough of it

Yeah it made no sense. Lamar runs and they have to back off and defend that, then he has more time in the pocket.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

Chiefs gonna shithouse the Niners, Mahomes having that defense is just unfair.

The 49ers have competent coaching at least. Not as good as Reid but who is. But at least their guy's entire job isn't to stomp around on the sidelines screaming at the refs every play. I think it will be a good matchup. Hopefully the 49ers win. Good chance if they actually attack them where they are weak on defense and don't ignore it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I'm fine with the same teams winning if other teams keep doing the same dumb poo poo. Fire these bums till you find a McVay or a Reid or even a Vrabel.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The337th posted:

yawn

I'll respect it if they spare us the Chiefs winning, but that's not a compelling team

Mr Irrelevant is their starting QB. That's pretty interesting to me just by itself.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The337th posted:

more interesting than that fraud QB in Baltimore yeah

?? Definitely not a fraud QB overall, but yes he's not a top tier player. Still don't regret the team paying him and love watching him even if a SB with him is probably never happening.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Fat Jesus posted:

idk if Lamar will be the same, Mahomes bitchslapped him with that last completion. He's a nice boy and I hope your gimmick reg season mvp QB will be ok.

Lamar's the same as he's always been. Great talent but bad awareness a lot of the time.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The337th posted:

just good enough to keep Harbs employed forever

Fire Harbaugh and bring in Vrabel.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The337th posted:

can't fire a coach that reliably gets you in the conference game, pal

This is the only conference game we got to since 2012. We aren't getting back anytime soon either. This year was our chance, Burrow was hurt, the Steelers haven't found their answer yet, and we only had to play one of Allen and Mahomes all season long. If it's not this year it's not happening. Harbaugh's run his course here and we need to give someone else a chance to take charge who actually engages with what's going on on the field and actively gameplans.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The337th posted:

sorry bro, Lamar needs the stability

Getting rid of Roman wasn't that and his play improved. Now it's time to get a real head coach.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Guys do the hand up thing all the time I've noticed

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Intruder posted:

True but Lamar shouldn't see a dude being triple covered and throw it to him anyway just because he called for it

Yeah this is a non-thing. Covered guys do it all the time and QBs aren't throwing it their way and people going "drat, he tricked the QB". They're meant to read the coverage. Lamar even said he saw Likely was triple-covered. So it's completely on Lamar there to have done that and done it on SECOND DOWN with plenty of time left in the game.

Like it or not, this is the game where we have to admit Lamar isn't that guy. But he's still a cool as hell QB I'll enjoy watching the rest of his time here.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

shirts and skins posted:

So I don't know enough about Detroit sports to say - is this the worst loss in Detroit sports history?

The Red Wings losing to the San Jose Sharks in the 94 playoffs was really bad at the time but dulled after Detroit came back and won a few years later and then a bunch of times after that.

Sometimes you don't know until later. Like 2011 was real bad for the Ravens at the time but then they won it in 2012 with lots of the same guys so less so.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Pimpcasso posted:

Sucks for the Lions but I don't think they could beat the Chiefs again with how that defense is playing now

I mean if they played right into the Chiefs defense's strengths like the Ravens did probably not. But if they actually had a coherent gameplan they give them a run for their money I'm sure

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

D-LINK posted:

1. Blitz the everliving hell out of Lamar
2. Win every time

Worked great for the Texans...for a half.

More like

1. Be a playoff game
2. Wait for Lamar+coaches to melt down

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

D-LINK posted:

Sorry bird bruv, just my observation. No one has to wait for the playoffs to blitz Lamar incessantly while keeping contain.

You can't really easily do both of those can you? And even if you do it's the job of the coaching staff+Lamar to be ready for that and have answers. If they are blitzing hard plus containing shouldn't it not really be that hard to counter it? The QB School vid last week criticized a bunch of the Ravens playcalls+Lamar against the Texans for not having answers to the heavy blitzes. I gave them the benefit of the doubt last week because blitzing heavy wasn't what the Texans were doing all year so maybe not prepared for it. It sounds like the Ravens desperately need better play design and coaching in these situations to help Lamar out of jams. We got rid of Roman and Monken is better to a degree but the play design is still lacking a lot of the time. Somebody's got to be helping him deal with this poo poo and he's obviously talented enough to do it.

I'd love to see what Lamar's career had been like if he ended up with the Chiefs and Reid. I kind of think he'd have way more success in these high pressure games against good teams.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Upgrade posted:

sucks that the Ravens lost, but was a good season and perhaps its premature to write off Lamar completely (despite what one prominent poster is claiming)

It’s also weird to constantly talk about “us” when all you do is poo poo on a team that finished in the top 4.

Excited for next year and Lamar should be fired up. Hopefully he’s cleared some of the playoff jitters. Just too many miscues and missed chances. :(

I'm not writing Lamar off. I think it's very possible he has at least one great postseason run in him but after this I think we've crossed the threshold from a SB appearance/win from Lamar being likely to not likely withthe AFC probably being much stronger in future years. But as it's been pointed out Joe Flacco had that run without one of his top teams so maybe Lamar can also. He's got the talent to do it but I mainly don't trust Harbaugh at all. The problem is most guys out there are going to be as bad or worse than Harbaugh.

With his tendency to play panicked in these high pressure games I just don't see us getting over these hurdles against other top teams unless we get someone in here who truly has great working chemistry with him and knows how to keep him lucid in these close games high stakes situations.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 29, 2024

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

D-LINK posted:

You can blame coaching all you want. Lamar gets turnover prone when harassed. He is kinda easy to rattle

Oh believe me I am not denying that whatsoever but in games where less is on the line he is often able to get through a rough period. It's absolutely the job of the coaches to know where he's weak and help him get around this poo poo. Just because I'm blaming the coaches doesn't mean I'm blaming them 100%

He's sometimes bad when harassed but then in another game will have guys running around with their tongues hanging out and elude three rushers and throw TDs en route to a blowout against a good team. But when the stakes are high he just loses all awareness like in this game where he probably could have had another 100 yard+ rushing effort but just didn't take what was there. He needs to calm his rear end down and not play like every drive is the last drive of the game down two scores where we must get a score immediately.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Upgrade posted:

he made it to the afc championship game. He’s 27. He’s about to win his second MVP. one QB wins a Super Bowl a year. One.

Yes. And he's been lucky enough to have two historically good teams around him and melted down in the playoffs each time. It was already extremely fortunate that he had a team about as good as 2019 again to give him another chance and he blew it again.

We just have to accept this is probably what he is. But I'll be rooting hard for him to overcome it next year and in the future. The dude is a great talent who has some nerves issues in these high stakes games he's gotta get past. But I don't think we have the coaches that can get him past that and don't see him ever getting to the level of Mahomes, Allen, Burrow in the AFC.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The first Steelers game this year is super interesting because it's the only time I can remember where we saw steamroll blowout Lamar and high stakes meltdown Lamar in the same game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Lamar was way better against the blitz this year, but in this game either him or the offense staff or both clearly are looking to beat the secondary deep when they had six guys rushing and all the receivers not named Zay were almost never open. Bateman was completely invisible all game and OBJ looked slow and old. Andrews had 15 yards. Feels like their skill players just got beat all game.

Predictable when the Chiefs are very strong against the pass and our WRs are so-so at best. And the Ravens are the top rushing team in the league. So the answer here should be obvious. Yet...

That's why I have to say about half the blame goes to the coaching staff. Our most successful drive of the day we ran Lamar on risky 4th and 1 for a huge gain, then ran Gus for another 10 yard gain, then bam hit them over the top with a TD. Buffalo carved them up on the ground for a lot of that game too last week and dominated time of possession almost like the Chiefs did yesterday. That the Ravens wouldn't try to follow that blueprint speaks to Harbaugh's disconnect to the actual game.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kalli posted:

You have to have a partner in the top 4 picks willing to do that though, which of those 4 teams is willing to go down to 28th for that?

That's the thing for me. If I thought I had a surefire star which MH Jr is supposed to be, I wouldn't be trading anything for him except for maybe something that involves and already established star. No amount of late first round draft picks in future years is going to make me give up a shot at MH Jr. You'd have to trade me one of your best players along with those draft picks.