Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Man, getting back into the groove after it being so long after 7R1 I did not get how to do Synergy stuff properly.

Zuu was a harder fight than the Materia Guardian but I guess that's because it was trying to tutorialise me instead of letting me Blizzaga it with Sephiroth right off the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

People pondering Zack's role on the game's cover are missing the clue right there in the game's name:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

When you're following Tifa around it was weird to me that depending on the direction you tried to walk the game would let you keep slowly walking and eventually it would give up and it would totally break Tifa's pathing and her 'leading' you for a little bit.

I wonder if I'll want to replay this in the full game. Probably not unless I want those relationship points back from rummaging through teen Tifa's stuff.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

biceps crimes posted:

Scathing FF7 Remake criticism incoming:

I thought Nibelheim was a little busy, it's supposed to be a podunk backwater, why are there so many NPCs in some areas?

Oh yeah my TV setup is a simple soundbar so it was a little weird to walk close to a crowd and have everyone scream out SEPHIROTH LET US SEE YOU AUTOGRAPH PLS all at once.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I expected the game to have the gameplay it has at the start but I didn't expect it to be at the start, pretty fun little surprise.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

VanillaGorilla posted:

So I accept that maybe I’m just bad at the game but I don’t remember having nearly this much trouble with the first remake.

Every battle feels like a huge contest - my aim party members seem like they do nothing and barely build ATB if I’m not directly controlling them, and when I DO directly control them, the enemy AI razor focuses whichever character I’m controlling and goes into a murderous rage, making using my support or caster characters…difficult.

Am I missing something?

Enemies naturally focus whoever you're playing as, and whoever you're playing as builds ATB faster.
Play as someone to build ATB, then when you feel swarmed, immediately switch to someone else to build their gauge instead and then switch again when you feel swarmed.

Since Cloud is almost always in your party, but Barret starts every battle with Overcharge ready, a simple strategy is to start as Cloud with First Strike materia equipped, hit enemies just enough to do a Braver or Triple Slash, then immedately switch to Barret and overcharge to build ATB and then do something else.

Aerith feels like the hardest to build ATB with, I dunno what the secret is there.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Once again I feel like I have no idea how to dodge or block in this game because i got knocked down approximately 83 times in this fight and won because my summon timer completed lol

i beat malenia for christs sakes

Go into Punisher mode as Cloud and he'll auto-counter when you block, which is a good way to deal with enemies that rush at you.

Careful though, this is a less-good plan against enemies that multi-hit.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

stuker posted:

i got through it the following try by using reraise (and just healing better in general), but is there a trick to surviving (Junon) the AOE the mindflayer seems to drop at 10-25% health? it feels like i'm missing some trigger/tell

e: holy poo poo this is the first time i noticed the baby chocobo takes a nap with you when you use a cushion. how did the moogles wind up the way they did

You'll interrupt it immediately if you save a synergy ability to use right then.

Together, Cloud and Tifa can build up synergy extremely quickly, I would recommend them for that fight.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Just about to hit the Gold Saucer myself.

Just noticed that some sidequests in my journal have a grey tick mark next to them and some have a gold star. Does the gold star indicate it stays completed in hard mode or something?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You didn't get the best possible outcome for a quest with a tick and now your save file is permanently marked with "did not get perfect in this video game".

Man I am not going to play that dumb pirate shooting game over and over again.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

JBP posted:

I have a quest to stagger an enemy and I can't do it because they just die

Switch to Dynamic difficulty and it'll level scale it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I wish FF16 had some of this game's budget kicked into it because this game's open world stuff is Too Much and FF16 had Not Enough (lol at those random FF16 treasures for 2 gil) and a middle ground would be Just Right.

And I've only just reached Cosmo Canyon and done the first Chocobo Glide!

Also goddamn this Distant Tremors fight is rear end. Head Case was OK after a few retries because the actual strategy is simple: Magnify Sleep, then go nuts on the Mindflayer.

Tremors needs you to micromanage your ATB carefully for the first fight to avoid everyone getting Earthbound, gives you a semi-breather, then hits you with the double Malceros where your party's AI dodging is inadequate because of the huge damage level they put out.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

idle thought: Cloud being able to do the whole dance in FF7R1 but having only recently arrived in Midgar means this is probably a famous dance that he watched on video and canonically learned during his time in Shinra, practiced it with the troops.

It is the equivalent of a tiktok dance he learned.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I cleared all of Gears and Gambits including Hard Mode by setting the game difficulty to easy, following an online guide and setting everything to auto-gambit for Normal Mode and I don't regret it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I feel real bad that Red is never in my general use party.

Supernal Fervor is great but he feels like doodoo to play, I literally only charge up Vengeance Mode by letting the AI handle him for a bit while I play someone else. I'm up to chapter 12 and I feel like his in-party time ended with his narrative arc too.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Clarste posted:

Maybe you should block more, it's great.

I block lots, Cloud is fun and easy to Punisher mode!

Red's wonky swipes and short range make him genuinely feel worse to play than Cait Sith who (at least once the moogle is out) will happily barrel into an enemy and stunlock weaker ones with no effort. "Needs a First Strike materia to feel good in battle" is a small price to pay considering he hits like a truck and also Moogle Magic is a hilarious ability.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Wow what the hell is with Gongaga Intel Level 2 and why does White Terror's big aoe now hit for a bajillion damage.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Dumb question BC I haven't thought about or looked into this at all: Is weapon level xp independent of individual weapons? I would assume so but haven't given the levelling much thought

No, it's all the same. Only your skill proficiency is independent. You only have to use any given weapon as long as it takes to learn its skill and then you can switch to whichever one has the materia slots or weapon abilities you like best.

In practice that probably means either "one that has the most materia/linkedslots" or "one that has the highest attack damage" (except for Aerith who wants highest magic).

If Yuffie's Ninjitsu works off of magic stat I guess you can pump hers too?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So apparently the guy who runs the 'Rare Card Shop' in Grasslands will have a new summon's card for you every time you acquire one, a thing told to you in-game seemingly never (or so long ago it feels that way).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Why are there multiple chickobo-petting animations when the only one I would ever want it to be is the one where you squish their cheeks back and forth?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

What's up with this chapter 12 optional two-person bout where my guys get unavoidably paralyzed and then chewed up? I can't seem to dodge the shot.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Can't believe I got the Red XIII date instead of anyone else honestly.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Today's patch has apparently broken the Ultimate Party Animal quest to not properly credit each stage so you'll need to come back to it later.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just did Magnify->Sleep on Barret and had my whole team go ham on the Mindflayer until it finally worked.

--

So the only things I have left to do in chapter 13 are:
Become the Ultimate Party Animal (currently bugged)
Minigames to full-rank or do the hard modes of (don't really feel like it)
Gilgamesh Island (tried one fight, "Come back at level 65" seems about right)

Is the game gonna rub it in my face if I don't do any of these or am I in the clear to continue the plot? I'm done with every other sidequest, cleared all world intel, have every weapon I can have up until now (to my knowledge).

Aside: Chapter 12 boss:
I was totally ready to make fun of complainers but nah that kinda sucked because the timings for when he Reloads are totally non-obvious, there's not an intuitive sense of how many 'shots' he has. My real winning strategy was building up enough ATB and letting Bahamut Arisen time him out to the next phase. I could occasionally get the Braver off but he felt way too inconsistent. Not a fun fight!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Instant Grat posted:

I just put a sleep materia on someone (Barret? He builds ATB quick, it was probably Barret), slept the little guys, and then went all-in on the Mindflayer, refreshing Sleep whenever the little ones woke up. Took one attempt and wasn't particularly close :shrug:

Pretty sure the AI won't target sleeping targets, presumably to avoid waking them up.

This is also a protip for any Chadley fight that involves White Terror, just put the guy to sleep while you deal with the other threat. Earsplitting Howl is a ridiculously overtuned move.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

redreader posted:

I love finally unleashing all of Tifa's attacks with triangle, there's a specific "dink!" sound effect that plays after omnistrike I think, which normally signals the end of the fight because nobody seems to survive it.

Sometimes you just Unbridled Strength->Omnistrike->US->Os->US->Os until a thing dies and it's neat.

Anyway guess I'm gonna move on to whatever is on the Northern Continent since Ultimate Party Animal quest is broken. 12-16 hours of gameplay to go, apparently! wheee

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cait's dodge de-moogles him but as long as it's alive you can press triangle to re-mount.

Mostly yeah you want a First Strike or similar on him to use Let's Ride. Then just hold square and the rest handles itself as he'll roll straight into the enemy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

That link doesn't go where you think it does.
edit: guess it does and my browser was broken I dunno

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 24, 2024

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kind of surprised people are having that many issues with Corel Intel 2. The first four rounds are a cakewalk and it's just the final round that suddenly boosts in difficulty and the solution there is basically just 'bring Tifa and/or Yuffie and dodge a lot'.

I had more trouble with round 1 of 'We Are Gourmands' in the Gold Saucer because I had a hell of a time stopping my party being worm food. Hitbox absurd. Basically gotta switch to another character and then uses a synergy move to teleport them over.

And then next round having to deal with White Terror but WT is sleep-able at least while you deal with the Mousse.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Books On Tape posted:

I think I’m just getting old. Combat already looks like a mess of spell effects and enemies jumping around all over the place so I end up just button mashing with cloud and using triple slash until things are dead.

Switching characters nonstop just makes me dizzy.

Here's the big hint:
pressing the X button to open the menu slows everything down to like 1/100th speed so you can always get your bearings, see what is going on and unpause to block something perfectly.

If you need even more time to think, hit the touchpad to open up the Assess screen so you can think.

You are Assessing every new enemy, right?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The two synergy options I really use are Spellblade and Heavenly Ascent.

Spellblade does superbig damage (and you can fiddle with Aerith's folio to give her bonus damage on synergy skills) and fills up hers and Cloud's ATB.

Heavenly Ascent is basically needed to get Tifa up into the air but once she is there she can hang there as long as you keep actively controlling her which is useful against airborne enemies.

I should really use Counterfire more but it's easy to forget it's there even when you're about to be hit by a big obvious ranged projectile.

Other abilities are mostly useful to teleport allies to safety. If your current character is about to be hit by a binding attack, quickly switch to someone else and use Savior or whatever to pull them to safety.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rolled credits. Interesting time, now to jump into the spoiler thread. Might tackle Hard Mode and remaining stuff in-between bouts of Dragon's Dogma.

I know dev teams don't work that way but I stand by my opinion that if they cut like 20-30% of the open world stuff and gave it to FF16, both games would have been improved.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So I got to Hard Mode and did chapter 1 of it because that's a freebie.

Looking at the chapter select, it says, e.g. for chapter 2 I only have one manuscript to get. But guides say actually there's a few in there, one of the world intel boss and two more for the sidequests. What's the deal?

Should I just mainline the main story in hard mode and then come back in chapter 12 or 13 to do every sidequest and hit 'reset all sidequests' when I do hard mode chapter 12?

Also I didn't do the final chapter 13 Gilgamesh stuff on normal mode, is there an ideal time to go do that?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What’s the strategy for Rufus in chapter 12? I won the fight on the first try, but it was really messy and I wasn’t sure how I was ever actually supposed to attack in the first phase. I got a lucky stagger, then Bahamut got me to the second phase, which felt a lot more manageable, but it was very frustrating, and I have no clue what I was expected to do there.

Much like the first game he gets staggered instantly if you Braver him while reloading.

The issue here now is that he's much harder because:
1. A lot of his moves knock you on your rear end if they land
2. He'll take that opportunity to Reload, giving you less opportunity to actually learn which moves or sequences of moves cause him to 'naturally' reload (Guns Akimbo will always do it)
3. He Reloads fast enough that you need to actually predict it, or else your Braver will land too late.

The 'safer' method is hitting him with ranged basic attacks (attack out of a dodge) while he reloads, and then using Focused Thrust.

The Punisher Mode counter will work on exactly one of his moves (Upthrust or something like that) but otherwise staying in Operator mode is preferable because it's better at blocking ranged attacks.

Basically the 'intended' method is blocking or dodging constantly until he uses Guns Akimbo or a similar move, knowing that this is going to cause him to Reload, and hitting Braver as a shortcut before you even see the word 'Reload' appear.

The annoying part of this is if you ranged-attack while too close to him (which you want to be, so your Braver will land!) and Cloud just goes into a normal basic attack which will get you knocked on your rear end. Only do three-hit attacks after dodging, I guess?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

He can't counter a summon attack so summoning can actually be useful in that fight.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You should be using synergy abilities a lot and one of the synergy ability types is unlocking level 2 (and I guess 3 later) limits

They just raise the limit level.
So if your party is Cloud Barret Tifa and Cloud and Barret raise their limit level, and then Tifa and Barret do it, then Barret can then do a level 3 limit if he's unlocked it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's kind of like how a lot of Japanese media has a term that gets translated a lot as 'fortune hunter', literally someone who is 'going out to seek their fortune', basically the conception of an adventurer. This is how Samus got labelled as a 'bounty hunter' in the original Metroid when her actual thing is just meant to be 'fortune hunter', a generic space adventurer.

But honestly mercenary sounds fine to me as Cloud's job description? The only alternatives I would even consider are 'sword-for-hire' or 'sellsword'.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Diofield was super weird because the decent combat could have supported a game with a strong plot and characters.

But instead (at least from playing the demo, and further reviews don't seem to have indicated any change) the game seems like it wants to rush you to the next plot point as fast as possible with the bare minimum of narrative connective tissue.

Oh no! There are monsters we've never seen before, rising throughout the city!
Well, we defeated them. Let's not unpack that or discuss the impact of that at all. Onto the next region and battle!

Doesn't help that 'it is fantasy Europe and there are brown/grey stones, green grass, and blue skies' is the most boring possible aesthetic for a fantasy game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I actually got really lucky and beat the final QB opponent with a normal deck and the basic rushdown strategy on the first try, and I was genuinely confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Digital Flower posted:

Anyways, since I'm thread-crashing here, I have 10, 12 and 13 in my backlog. Which one has the best vibes and chocobo content? 16 sounds miserable.

16 isn't miserable, you just feel like they really had to stick hard to their budget, and all the fun stuff people were expecting from 16 in terms of side areas and side content and a general fleshed-out world ended up in 7R2 instead.

Anyway 10 has excellent vibes. It also has chocobo content. These two things are not related. If you enjoyed the FF7R games then I'd say that 10 is the next natural step in terms of party vibes and decent plotting. FFX has a good plot and themes! I even think Tidus is good once you've recruited your whole party!