Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Not sure if you should force yourself through if you're not enjoying the game.

Also from now on if Intel on a boss mentions a element for pressure I'm just gonna restart the fight

This is how it is unfortunately. Weaknesses and resistances matter in remake so if don't have something equipped, you should just restart. Alternatively make sure you are always carrying all elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Has anyone experimented with auto weapon ability and auto unique ability materias?

Is the AI smart enough to use them in the right situation? Like Focus attacks when the enemy is pressured? Does Cloud use punisher mode etc.

I suppose I could test myself in the simulator later

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Has anyone experimented with auto weapon ability and auto unique ability materias?

Is the AI smart enough to use them in the right situation? Like Focus attacks when the enemy is pressured? Does Cloud use punisher mode etc.

I suppose I could test myself in the simulator later

I tested this myself and AI seems pretty good. I wouldnt use the "Auto weapon ability" though because the AI seems very conservative with its skill use and you need those synergy stacks ASAP.

Auto unique ability is very good on Barret and Tifa for couple reasons:

-Barret's unique is cooldown based so the AI will use it as soon as possible. It's a flat bonus to your party's DPS
- Tifa uses her stagger multiplier increasing unique when the enemy is staggered. This is also a flat DPS bonus because it means you can do damage with lets say Cloud's Punisher mode while Tifa is doing her triangle Rise and Fall > Omnistrike > Uppercut combo

Basically Cloud, Tifa and Barret I'd say is the ideal party for beginners because there's a lot of good synergy.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 8, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Is there a reason why Yuffie's elemental ninjutsu doesnt seem to pressure enemies even if the description says they are pressured by element X. It raises stagger sure but it doesnt seem to trigger the pressured condition

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Levantine posted:

I often use it to do exactly that - is there a particular enemy you're having issues with? The flying jellyfish, for example, seem to dodge it like a physical attack until they are corporeal again.

I was practicing with her in the arena. Usually it only takes like maybe 1-2 spells to pressure a miniboss type of enemy but it seems a lot harder to do with ninjutsu. Maybe I was too impatient and I need to pay closer attention

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

Pretty sure you need to do enough damage in one hit. It's why the elemental materia doesn't do it either.

That would make sense because even a basic spell can trigger it really easily. Gotta take that into account when dealing with these enemies

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I prefer rebirth system because simply leveling up all the weapons was quite time consuming. They probably realized that leveling weapons for 7 characters was going to get super annoying real fast

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

7R is still an RPG so as long as the enemy dies before you do, it's a victory. You can't really avoid damage 100% but you can mitigate it

Also chapter 2 is really early it takes time to get comfortable with the combat.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I just experienced the Red XIII bit on the ship and I don't think I've ever been more speechless. Absolutely incredible

It's kinda amazing how someone in the dev team looked at the scene in OG FF7 and this is what they came up with.

I want more of this in FF17.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I have important information to share with you all

https://youtu.be/8uPD4M-l9HQ?si=mKrp1_zSC38-N0sd

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Rebirth gives me hope for the next big FF project. Ive played for about 50 hours and still not tired of it. Some of the minigames are excessively hard but I just skipped those and never looked back.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I would kill for FF17 that's inspired by FF7R's combat but all the playable characters have jobs from past FF games (not inspired by jobs but literal jobs like Dragoon, Black Mage etc)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah I've stayed away from things like Auto-Weapon Ability because generally I want to be in control of when and how ATB is spent, especially in the absence of something like the gambit system to offer passive direction to the AI. I'm sure they're reasonably smart about things but I'd still prefer to just control that kind of resource expenditure on my own.

I posted this about before but based on my short experiment the AI seemed a little too passive and this a problem when you want those synergy abilities asap.

I think this is because the AI is programmed to use abilities in optimal situations but it can only use 4 shortcuts so that leaves out a lot of good abilities.

Auto unique however is very good on most characters because triangle skills dont cost ATB and they AI will use them as much as possible

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

JBP posted:

Do you get anything for beating the summons on difficulties higher than the base? I just want to unlock them and move on.

Nope. In fact you only end up getting a weaker version of the summon if you do them early without unlocking summon intel.

They are there just for challenge.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Note all the synergy skills are not equal. Some are clearly much better than others so experiment.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I havent played much queens blood but I accidentally made a deck that was just stat enhancing cards so I ended up winning one match something like 40 - 0

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Its kinda wild that Ive been playing this game for 50+ hours and I still don't have Caith Sith in my party. You don't see that in games anymore

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Wamsutta posted:

Yeah trying a mix of fira and punisher stance counters (have tried sleep, regen, and haste a bunch too) I’m about 40 attempts deep and haven’t even killed one of them, this is just insanely frustrating

Even just blocking builds up ATB and Limit gauge.

I won the fight by doing stuff but also stalling using free heals from Chakra and I used Cross Slash 2 times in that fight. The second time it killed both dogs in one hit

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Everyone in remake series is really good at dancing for some reason.

This explains so much

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The part where Chadley mutes Mai was very strange even though it was supposed to be comical.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

To be fair the Midgar portion is longer if you take your time exploring and talking to people for the first time and that's probably what people remember.

Still nowhere near remake tho

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Currently using Cloud, Yuffie and Red because they have really good synergy skills (Magic Blade and Foxfire) and Red has party wide Haste.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Lakbay posted:

I just reached Chapter 12 and is the pirate king's treasure worth using? It looks like a free united refocus but I don't think I've ever actually needed 3 full atb bars? I'm still pretty bad at the combat on normal even 60 hours in and have had to turn down the difficulty to easy numerous times so maybe I'm missing something. I haven't done the actual treasure hunting yet so maybe the fights for it are fun

If you have 3 ATB bars, your ATB recharges faster because it splits your existing bar into 3 instead of 2 so it's a passive bonus

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

alright then, turns out i am the weirdo for turning my sony playstation 5 off when i am not using it to play video games. carry on, thread

when do i get access to the Actually Hard piano piece someone mentioned earlier. is that on hard mode?

PS5 download updates and recharges your controllers while in rest mode and you are the one who's trying to be all weird about it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Am I supposed to spam Caith Sith's drop kick till it gets to lv 2? It seems to take forever to get the bar to fill unless you just jump on enemy repeatedly

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Cephas posted:

Heres the secret to dealing with Chadley open world gameplay:

do as little of it as possible. Just enough to get the summon powerups or whatever, if even that. Treat the open world segments like an appetizer, and as soon as you get sick of it move on to the next course

I would but theres also materia, boss fights and protorelic stuff at which point oops you've done them all.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah, I assessed, and I targeted the hands - but every time I destroyed both she went and got another pair, went through 3 pairs total. She just did an insane amount of damage to my party through the whole fight that I struggled to find the secret to defending / avoiding, and spent the entire time on the back foot healing.

If she had time to replace hands before staggering you werent doing enough damage or targeting the correct part. The fight should go like this:

- Destroy hands
- Target Scarlet and reduce her HP
- Mech becomes Pressured
- Stagger
- Repeat

I know this fight is harsh. Thunder magic is really good here for targeting hands combined with Aerith's Mana Ward

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 20, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It doesnt help that Tifa is really bad in this fight unless the boss is staggered.

One thing that helped me was using Yuffie's Foxfire and Aerith's Spellbound blast for quick ATB gains. You can block or run away from attacks when needed. Thunder does most of the work in this fight and anyone can use Manaward for double casting.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Gongaga is more difficult to navigate than it's necessary but its also really gorgeous. I wouldnt bother with the open world otherwise. And the rewards are usually worth the effort.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I get what you are saying but talking about sidequests as meaningless is how you get FF13. Sidequests in FF7R are generally pretty good

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

lines posted:

I feel like Part 3 almost wants to be a different genre? Like this is the one of the three that wants to be an open world exploration type game. Part 3 could do something wildly different, I don't know quite what yet.

Rebirth still follows the OG's idea of world map > town > world map > dungeon and repeat structure.

I don think part 3 is going to be something completely different except maybe this time they are going to let you decide in which order you visit different parts of the world. This makes sense if they are going to let you pilot Highwind.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

After 50+ hours I learned:

You can quick swap party members outside battles with L1/R1 without going into the menu screen. Shiiiit

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ugh I was so close to beating Mindflayer vr challenge legit but then Red got blown up last minute. This is definitely unfun fight because you need to babysit the AI and move them away from minions.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Whats the difference between sharp and soft modes?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yuffie's theme is so catchy and they made it a kickass battle theme in Intergrade and Rebirth.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I thought you guys might have over exaggerated Head Case :(

Try using stop + magnify

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

redreader posted:

Divekick sucks: Often I'm wailing on an enemy, implying I'm within range. I then divekick and miss. I just did it 3x in a row during a fight! By 'miss' I mean she divekicks the ground, no evasion or anything. Sometimes the enemy repositions a tiny bit and that's enough for it to whiff.

Yeah dive kick is only good for staggered enemies. It has 0 homing and the range / splash damage is limited.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It's funny how that fight is possibly the hardest in the whole game because there's so much out of your control if you just try to play normally.

I think Yuffie + Red duo party might actually work because Yuffie can easily fill both ATBs with Foxfire so you'll still have access to synergy

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 22, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Levantine posted:

Yeah, Materia feels like it's king, so I always went with the most slots. Cloud was my Enemy Skill/Healing materia person and was strong no matter what he used tbh.

On your first playthrough you definitely want to level as many materia as possible just to save time later.

Later when you got all good stuff maxed out you can very specialized builds with lesser slots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Get hosed mindflayer I dropped difficulty to easy, used Cloud + Tifa, sleep on minions and spammed synergy and Tifa's combos.

I still had to redo the fight 3 times because sometimes splash damage killed the adds