Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Zalakwe posted:

I wonder if this result will embolden the left within Labour and if so embolden them to do what exactly.

Strikes me that it would be a very good time to launch something new. I can't see it and even if they did I am not sure how likely they are to pull it off well but there won't be many better opportunities. At the very least it should strengthen their hand internally.

Probably not. This result was almost entirely caused by the Labour candidate being a poo poo, and the Tories and Lib Dems being pretty much useless in the area. Galloway essentially ran a single issue campaign and got lucky in the circumstances. By elections can be weird like this.

At the General Labour will put up one of their faceless suits and almost certainly take it back with ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Julio Cruz posted:

is being an MP for three different parties a record?

e: or four different constituencies

Mosley was technically MP for three parties + Independent (Conservative, Independent, Labour, New Party)

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Why the gently caress did he make that speech on a Friday evening? Announcing nothing (the protest stuff was talked about earlier this week)?

Just another weird thing from our tiny PM

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

So what the gently caress was wrong with the Lib Dem candidate?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Sorry I should have clarified, "Other than being a Lib Dem, what was wrong with the Lib Dem candidate?"

Finishing 5th in a race where the two major parties have basically hosed off is hilariously embarrassing for them.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

happyhippy posted:

Thanks.
Still, he can sit there and just shout LIAR every 10 seconds.

Woah there, can't be shouting liar at proven liars. That's unparliamentary.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ms Adequate posted:

To be fair they may have meant "What did the electorate think was wrong with the Lib Dem candidate?" which isn't necessarily the same thing as what this thread thinks. If Lab and Tories are both ruled out it does seem like the next option would be LDs.

Honestly wasn't expecting to open the thread to see people still discussing this, but yeah this is largely what I meant. Lib Dems, despite... everything, still have MPs, they're still pretty good at local elections and target specific seats. If the third largest UK-wide party can't even put in a decent showing when the two biggest parties give up the seat, there must have been something wrong with the candidate beyond being a piss tory.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

forkboy84 posted:

It actually used to be a Liberal seat, from 1972 until 1997, but for the first 20 of those years the Liberal MP was a fellow called Cyril Smith, who it turned out was a massive nonce who seemed to have his noncery covered up by all & sundry. That only came out after Smith died, but while he was still alive he was known for another scandal where he tried to cover up how dangerous asbestos was, and it turned out he had a decent chunk of shares in a local factory in the area.

But yeah, the stench of Cyril Smith probably won't go for decades, although it was first mentioned in 1979 in a local paper & Private Eye nobody else covered it until after his death in 2010, so it's still fresh in the memory. In 2012 the Crown Prosecution Services (still headed by a Sir Keir Starmer at this point) " that Smith should have been charged with crimes of abuse more than 40 years earlier. In a statement, the GMP said Smith had committed "physical and sexual abuse". Smith was never charged, although investigations were undertaken in 1970, 1998, and 1999." There's a lot of very serious questions around the whole thing, like police involved in investigations being threatened with the Official Secrets Act, MI5 confiscating a dossier from Lancashire Constabulary, & Thatcher being warned of his proclivities & still awarding him a knighthood. It's a pretty heinous thing.

This is the exact context I was missing (and didn't appear to be reported anywhere), thanks :)

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

The House of Lords fill that weird gap where it's a completely undemocratic group of utter ghouls who wouldn't be anywhere near power if they didn't have money/connections/dirt on certain former PMs

But because they're unelected ghouls they don't really give a poo poo about lobbying groups and occasionally give the Correct outcome.

Obviously tiny Rishi can just force it through but it makes him sweat a bit, which is nice.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Been a few articles and tweets over the last couple of days about the prospect of a May 2nd general election (same time as the Locals). Sunak would have to announce this at the end of the month, possibly the 22nd or the 25th, to dissolve Parliament in time.

Normal convention would say that the ruling party destined to be obliterated at the polls should hold onto power for as long as possible. However, the argument against this convention is:

* The polls are going to get much, much worse for Sunak
* The number of illegal immigrants (or more accurately asylum seekers arriving here entirely legally) is going to stay high and potentially get higher, which does not help Sunak's "I stopped the boats!" message
* The economy is likely to continue to tank
* A very poor showing at the local elections may lead Sunak to be ousted before the election happens, therefore he has a vested interest at calling it now so at least he can say he's in charge

We've talked in the thread before about how it's been fairly common knowledge that this will happen. Tory sources are obviously denying it and saying they're in no rush at all, Labour ministers are going on morning shows and placing bets (only a tenner) that it will. I'm not sure what the Lords timetable on the Rwanda bill is, but if they send that back (unless they already have? it wasn't clear from the reporting) I expect that would factor into Rishi's plans. Being able to fight his election on stopping the boats before the numbers get worse for him is at least... something.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68526972

It's okay everyone, she's alive

quote:

The image, taken by Prince William, shows the princess with her three children.

Sureeee.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I honestly don't give a poo poo about the royal family, but the fact that they must know about the speculation at this point, there's been weeks of talk in the tabloids and on twitter about her, and the solution is...

a dodgy photo shopped picture of her without her husband, or her wearing a wedding ring (which even the Telegraph picked up on) ?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

smellmycheese posted:

Fruit machine wife update. spOKE to debt advice charity today who ran a "soft credit check" on my adress and shes taken out another 20K in loans with Santander and Halifax (2 banks I have had no dealings with whatsover) in my name

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

If you haven't already, you really need to speak to the police NOW. You need to report the fraud, then you can put a freeze on your credit so she can't do any more damage, then you can start disputing the debts.

If she's signed anything in your name she is in serious poo poo.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

There's a guy in work I sit next to who eats dry, untoasted hot crossed buns out of the packet this time of year every year.

It's loving disturbing and I want no part of it.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Just Another Lurker posted:

I do the same, fight me. :colbert:

Decent ones are not dry though.

We have access to toasters and free butter (no jam though), I cannot understand why you'd willingly do this

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Oh loving christ

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Jedit posted:

If the Tories are planning a 100-day policy blitz after the locals, then they're probably calling a GE immediately after. That would put it at around September 19th. They might do it a couple of weeks earlier though, to catch out students in transit.

Saw something from Kuenssberg last weekend saying that Sunak might call it in the wake of the local elections to stave off a potential challenge to his leadership if (when) the results are disastrous.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

keep punching joe posted:

Has everyone just forgotten that internet piracy exists and is easier than navigating a million different streaming options?

Has everyone just forgotten that internet piracy exists and is easier than navigating a million different streaming options?

Solve the housing crisis by forcing eveyone into those lovely single room shared kitchen/bathroom dorms (sorry luxury student accomodation)

For a brief period internet piracy wasn't easier than dealing with official subscriptions. Started with Steam offering a simple platform for buying and playing games, but then you got Origin and Epic and a billion other services. Then Netflix and Spotify appeared and gave people a simple place to watch stuff/listen to music for a small subscription. That was great! My mum could do that instead of having to figure out what the best torrent site is then avoiding all the viruses and fake stuff that comes with internet piracy.

Now there's Apple Music and Amazon and Google... play?, or Apple TV+ and Disney and Amazon, everything is an exclusive so it's loving impossible to just pay one amount to watch all the stuff you want to watch and not all the other crap those services put out to fill the page.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I haven't kept track, are TUSC still alright? My choice is between them and the Green Party guy.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

We've got the three main parties as PCC, then a guy running as an anti-corruption candidate. His page says he wants to end the PCC as an elected position and will not take a salary - which is good! - and then goes on to blame the usual woke poo poo.

Labour it is, sadly.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Matinee posted:

Just had a person from the Labour Party knocking on the door (in London) asking if I'd voted yet, and wanted to put details of who I'd voted for into an app on his phone.

He seemed a bit dismayed when I told him I'd voted for Khan as "the best of a bad bunch" (something told me this wasn't the first time he'd heard that), and "more progressive parties downballot".

Bit of an odd interaction all round, the guy was wearing a bunch of Vote Labour stickers and tried giving me flyers for Sadiq for Mayor. I thought that kind of canvassing/campaigning/doorknocking was illegal on polling days?

Not allowed to do it outside the polling place, but knocking on doors is fine iirc

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Labour briefing that they are losing the West Midlands mayoral contest because of an independent pro-Gaza candidate

I assume this will mean a change in policy right?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

BBC projecting a 2.5% swing to Labour after all that nonsense overnight, lol

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Looks like Labour have won the West Midlands mayoral contest, which was the only other "maybe it's not so bad?" hope the tories had (because the incumbent ignored the national party).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

He lost to binface lmao

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Starbucks posted:

According to Torygraph a summer GE has been ruled out. Try and see how Rwanda stuff goes first or leadership election? Hoping the latter purely based on what kind of idiot would want the job.

September or October seems the most likely outcome at this point. There was a lot of chat about Sunak calling a quick one after the locals because he was afraid of leadership challenges, but it seems like the Tories are loving cowards (we all knew that) so there's no danger there. Which means this parliament limps on forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Had a slight panic when I realised I haven't had a letter from the slc for years, but checked my payslip and they are still leaching money off me so it's all fine.

Maybe someone should tell Rishi that writing off the student loan debt would win the loyalty of an entire generation who currently hate him.

I had a brief period of a couple of years where I couldn't log in to my SLC account. I had moved house a couple of times and they wouldn't update my details without sending me a letter by post to an address I no longer lived at. They were still taking my money but wouldn't tell me how much I had left etc.

Managed to solve that a few years later when they updated their systems and let me do it all electronically. Now I get to see the depressing numbers whenever I want!