Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The fun thing is, Liz Truss causing high interest rates is as true as "Labour left a note saying there is no money left". UK interest rates went up with US ones, was already starting to calm from the Truss panic when she got deposed and then rose to the same level under Sunak, just less dramatically.

But it's the Tories suffering from journalists lack of financial literacy now so lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Rwanda is politically stable (don't ask how) and has made a effort to be approachable and workable with by the West from their government. Combined with Rwanda getting cash and money for building out of the deal, I can see why they'd respond when the Foreign office was shopping around for a country to send all our migrants to.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 26, 2024

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Like, if uou are president of Ukraine in 2022 and the Russians are invading, and half the country is under attack and you're not sure if Kyiv will hold, "do I sign a bad peace to save my people a pointless war" is a valid question. The typical example is the Czech Republic in 1938/1939 - Could they have fought the Germans effectively and been a tough fight for Nazi Germany then? Probably. Could they have won alone without support from the western powers? Probably not.

Bojo turning up in Ukraine in April 2022 probably did reduce the chance of a "peace" agreement - where the peace is "Give Russia what they want and the fighting stops". Because when Zelensky received hope that fighting wouldn't be a pointless cause, he took it. That's what he wanted (as the most "pro-russian" candidate in the presidential elections) and it's what the country "wanted", as much as a country wants anything. And on the British side, we have been one of the biggest military supporters to Ukraine - giving our advanced equipment before others and with less concern. That isn't alone enough, because the British Army is not geared up to invade half the world now, unlike the US, but it's not like the UK hasn't been supporting Ukraine - the fact we're in a very left-wing discussion forum and still plenty of support for the establishment position of support indicates how far the consensus spreads in UK politics.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It's local biometric, so it doesn't leave my device. And if someone has my device and my person and is prepared to use that level of force then a password isn't much good either.

There's been a few cases in London of muggera forcing someone at knifepoint to send all their money, including savings to another account. It's basically "taken to a ATM at knifepoint" but updated. And since you technically approved the transactions, it's not fraud!

Single points of failure are bad.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

kecske posted:

I feel like if I was able to work from home then the lines between workday/downtime would blur sufficiently that I would end up doing extra bits outside of my contracted hours. As it is, the second the workday ends I'm out of the door with tools left comically spinning in the air like a cartoon

This is certainly true for me, but I actually like my job and work for the public sector, so any extra labour I contribute this way benefits the wider public and not a shareholder.

Also some days I only spend 6 hours in the office do nothing else, so it all balances out in the end.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Because the North atlantic Ocean is really warm this year, we got a warm+wet winter because the predominant weather pattern was air masses off the Atlantic coming over the UK, which are full of evaporated water from the hotter Atlantic and pushed out the arctic and Scandinavian air masses that cause cold winters. The problem is that this has continued over spring, amd we've not had any air masses from Africa or Western Europe that usually cause hot weather in April. So we've had a "average" temperature April that feels missing because it's also been wet and cloudy the entire time. Hot Ocean doesn't necessarily mean Hot UK, just means not freezing.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Exercise makes you healthier, even accounting for weight. Finding a exercise you enjoy and doing it regularly is key, and usually easier than finding a diet you can sustain long-term.

This isn't to say diet doesn't matter (it's the only way to lose weight), but in terms of healthiness it's only one piece. Doing lots of exercise does tend to make you more aware of if your weight is getting in the way of your athletic performance, which is a good diet motivation if you enjoy your regular exercise.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mourning Due posted:

A subject I've been obsessing over lately related to this, is the death of the monoculture (at least in the West).

Pre-internet there was comparatively such a small amount of content, that you could kind of guess what your mates had read or watched recently. Like, 10 channels on telly that would actually show anything decent. 5 movie or video game magazines a month. A few radio stations. Especially if you had any sort of niche interest.

Now? Even with my mates who like all the same rubbish as me, we're never experiencing the same thing at the same time. I remember when one of the stranger things seasons came out, I was busy enough that I could only watch an episode a week. My mate binged the whole season in a day, so I couldn't really talk to him about any episodes without getting spoiled, and I couldn't expect him to remember exactly what happened when. So we just never really talked about it. Even more so than that, rather than big ticket shows, it's more likely that they'll be binging a history of video game speedruns or interesting bridges or something on Youtube, that I can't get into because it's all in-jokes, unless I go right back to the beginning. Music-wise, I'm constantly discovering cool new bands that I like, but nobody else in my core group is listening to them. The mainstream is so thoroughly owned by the bland that it's in one ear and out the other. I remember when I was a kid hearing like Marilyn Manson & SOAD & RATM on fairly mainstream stations. And if you met a new person, you could at least kind of guess the type of poo poo they might be into, because we were only exposed to such a relatively small amount of content. Now it's like, OH do you know this Youtuber who reviews old Murder she Wrote Episodes? No? Ah well, she's great. It's so much more rare to have those great "OH poo poo, you watch/listen to this poo poo too?" moments.

Since the rise of the internet it feels like there are no more cultural "waves", like grunge or early 90s hip-hop or anything. Everyone has their own catered version of the media, but they aren't experiencing it alongside many others, at least in their own local circle. We've never been more connected, but we've never felt so alone.

Honestly, I think this is part of "the kids are woke" is coming from. Politics is the only communal experience left. The only thing you can be certain to have seen at the same time as other people is a breaking news story. This isn't perfect (political polarisation and pigeonholing is a thing) but I think it's a large part of it - political/social beliefs and ideology is the marker of cultural identity.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Matinee posted:

Just had a person from the Labour Party knocking on the door (in London) asking if I'd voted yet, and wanted to put details of who I'd voted for into an app on his phone.

He seemed a bit dismayed when I told him I'd voted for Khan as "the best of a bad bunch" (something told me this wasn't the first time he'd heard that), and "more progressive parties downballot".

Bit of an odd interaction all round, the guy was wearing a bunch of Vote Labour stickers and tried giving me flyers for Sadiq for Mayor. I thought that kind of canvassing/campaigning/doorknocking was illegal on polling days?

Usually they'll go around likely or confirmed labour voters, to ensure that their voters come out and vote. You might still be on the lists from 2019 or before as a likely labour voter, hence being a target for the GOTV campaign.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Boeing assassins can now... make you develop pneumonia and fight for your life for two weeks?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jedit posted:

The last one was found shot dead in his truck, leaving only a note dated several weeks previous saying "if they say I killed myself I loving didn't". The coroner ruled it a suicide. So yeah, I'm not ruling out poisoning at this point.

It's just the lingering nature, you'd think if it was poison they'd pick one of many more lethal poisons, or just another "suicide" via firearm. If you're gonna get the corporate assassins out, they'd better be competent.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 3, 2024

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Apraxin posted:

it feels like the big thing that spells Humiliation for Looser Rishi if it holds (unless he can somehow persuade are nige to stop shiving him) is that most of the wards where reform were standing had results like:

Lab: 41% (+7)
Con: 20% (-20)
Ref: 17% (+17)
Green: 12% (+5)
others

if they put up candidates nationwide in the general, starmer's gonna have a whole lot of seats just fall into his lap

It's basically a reverse 2019 - Boris has a bunch of Labour seats in the North fall into his lap due to the Brexit Party taking labour voters, and then the media breathlessly asked "how did Boris convince Labour voters to vote Tory???" ignoring all the evidence they didn't switch to Tory (pretty similar total vote to 2017), they just didn't vote labour. Now Starmer is getting the same boost. Sadly doubt it'll end with him getting booted out of being PM in disgrace.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The entire point of Boris's government was "we will actually spend money doing things, but also be Toryish on immigrats and the EU" turns out the rest of the Tory party forgot why Boris has charisma - he appeared like he would do things.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Kin posted:

There's probably some super tory doner at the top of the SLC or something that would make this impossible for them to do.

I don't know if it's because of the passive nature of the loan repayments (tied to income), or the tying interest to inflation makes it a "free" loan or whatever that was said when I was at uni, or whether it's just a lot of naivety of young folk who've never had a loan before; but the general impression I got from others at uni was that it was a chunk of money to spend with no consequences so they should try and take as much as possible.

The SLC are a loan company like any other though. You took their money, they'll do anything short of breaking your legs to get it back.

If you're in the UK, the way repayments are fixed and the 30 year cap means over a certain amount borrowing more money doesn't increase your repayments. Like I have £75K of student loan, but I'm not going to pay back any more than if I didn't do a fourth year and only had £60K of students loan instead.

Things get messier when you're outside the UK for sure, but in most cases the amount you're borrowing already won't be paid back so borrowing even more is just "free" money.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

There's only so much you can do to save your kids social life when all their friends are on social media because their parents gave them a smartphone at nine. It is a problem that requires collective action to solve, not individual responsibility.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea I don't think the internet itself is bad. It's kids having a smartphone and being attached to it 24/7, rather than only accessing it via a desktop PC at home (where it's basically another console). The drive towards smartphones is mostly driven by social media.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

be proper funny if it's blair and then it completely loving tanks the polls

Nah, it's George Osborne instead. LAB +20 though because Tory voters are on strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

I normally hate my home town like the next UKMT poster, but that dickhead being associated with here makes it even worse.

He's not even local, from Winchester and just dragged in the nearest local club. Not like anyone would be into football at Winchester College.