Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

happyhippy posted:

Jews have space lasers.
Muslims have ray guns.

But during
National Brotherhood Week...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

kingturnip posted:

I've been dealing with a bout of what I think is flu since Friday (headache, fever, aching, sore throat, cough and uncontrollable shivering), which has wiped out my weekend.
Annoyingly, it now being Sunday afternoon, it's wearing off. The advantage of getting the flu jab, I suppose (less likely to catch it, and less severe if you do), but I always feel slightly cheated when illness robs me of a weekend/time off but leaves me capable of going to work.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

jaete posted:

Ok stupid question: why? Wasn't the fixed terms act abolished? So the PM could just decide to not have an election this year... but everyone is completely certain that he will call an election this year I guess, why exactly?

The FTPA (First Toast Post Aaah!) set the minimum to 5 years, so the coalition partners couldn't (threaten to) explode the coalition for political gain, but there's always been a maximum. Though it's probably written on a stone in Wiltshire and also made up, but thankfully the government can't just go on forever.

E: a brief wiki-looki while cooking my dinner says that the 2022 bill that repealed the FTPA also re-affirmed the 5-year maximum, which was in force before since the Parliament Act 1911

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 3, 2024

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

That reminded me of a John Harris headline from the other day

"For years, the Tories said austerity was over. But look around: it’s getting worse, and there’s more to come"

Now obviously austerity was never over, but when did the Tories claim it was? I feel like I would have remembered that.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Watching a Channel 4 Labour party political broadcast, and they seem to be using the time to go after.... American candy shops in central London?

I mean yeah, we all know about the money laundering, but is this the best use of a national broadcast?

Fuckit, it's more concrete than anything else they've brought to the table lately

Tough on teeth, tough on the causes of teeth

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Starbucks posted:

In a decently insulated house air conditioning heats a room up faster than a radiator, and provides cooling in the summer. Our obsession with radiators is crap.

Also frees up wall space for putting things against. Love my floor/ceiling vents.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Phrakusca posted:

I'm reminded of a debate that consumed a lecture back when I was at uni on whether or not it was ok to write/say "an historic".

If someone writes "an historic" I assume they're a Tory

If someone writes "an herb" I assume their brain is broken =American

E: I shouldn't be grumpy, I have a nice view from my hotel roo

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 17, 2024

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Oh no what have I started :ohdear:

I was mostly joking about the 'erbs, I do find it amusing as an example of non-RP and American English being similar. Another one being the glottal stop as detailed in this SMBC comic which I started noticing in my US colleagues when they talk about "bu'ons" on our devices.

Mebh is right, I've stopped caring for the most part (hard to deprogram(me) yourself from being the kid that's "good at words"). The only ones that make me shudder still are the hypercorrect plurals I hear some Americans use - "process-eeez" and "bias-eeez". Presumably influenced by words like basis or crisis, but they're just normal plurals, stop it!

Also I like that "earthed" is a 2-syllable word for our Irish colleagues :)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

E: the 77 is a bus from Waterloo to Tooting (toot toot)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Whatever this was appears gone now.

It was a "micro-blogging" website called Twitter. But then Elon Musk bought it...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

I'm talking with my form about cost of living crisis and wealth inequality tomorrow. They're 16. It seems like a good opportunity to show some short videos about this. Would love to hear if anything good come to mind? Talking about inheritance and how lots of people get their money from parents seems important and any numbers or catchy things related to that also sounds like it could be useful.

I only watch extremely long videos, but this has good stuff in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7nFA19Gzrw

smellmycheese posted:

So you can get speed for ADHD, weed for anxiety. When are we going to get prescription cocaine for social introversion?

Can't help with cocaine, but the US should be getting MDMA-supported therapy soon. This book's very interesting, gives the whole history of the drug and what's going on now

https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/i-feel-love-9781635579581/

I'm sure the UK will build an MDMA-proof wall and make David Nutt pay for it, rather than adopt this

(Incidentally, apparently it's called Molly these days when used recreationally, which sounds like something the media would make up, that the kids are "totally calling it" now)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Divorceddad's Last Theorem: "I have discovered a marvelous proof that women be junkies, but this margin is too woke to contain it"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

My address bar autocompletes to "guardian.co.uk" which they now redirect to "theguardian.com"

"We're an international news organisation, not some backwater national rag"
[Australian office yells at them for being transphobes]
"No not like that"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

All of the above. Solidarity to all trans posters, you deserve a better island, and no quarter for trolls, sealions, JAQoffs, etc.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

smellmycheese posted:

Crispix for President

A vote for crispix is a vote for anarchy!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

*Except in Arizona during the summer**
**Except in the Navajo Nation***
***Except in the Hopi Reservation that lies entirely within

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i honestly can't think of another politician who had such a spectacular, monumental failure and then shamelessly didn't go away. even hillary clinton has the decency to only occasionally pop her head out and try to pretend 2016 never happened

And at least HC failed against someone. Truss just kind of imploded like a billionaire submersible, but decided to post through it

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Dabir posted:

I know he's talented, but I didn't think 47 cared much for music beyond Ave Maria

ahem

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Jakabite posted:

I’d be up for a darts, pool and quiz triathlon to be fair. It would mean my quiz team would need to find a darts player though.

much to ponder

Surely it's all at once - dart in one hand, pool racket in the other, while trying to answer questions with your brain

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Kin posted:

Like, I struggle to remember many specific highlights from about 2005 to 2024, other than things like the tories getting into power, referendums on brexit/independence, the Xbox and shite like strictly taking over TV.

I always say the roundness of the year 2000 broke my brain, so now I'm stuck thinking it's "about the year 2000", which is true in millennium terms, decreasingly so for centuries, and definitely not for decades. But if someone was born in 1942 my brain immediately goes "ah, they're about 60 then"

But it probably also has to do with my age at the time, and the blahhh of events from 2001 onwards, as you say.

Then Covid totally broke my sense of time. A social media post I saw sums it up (adjusted to today): "Happy 1578th day of 2020!"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

Those foreign students are a real drain on the state, with their boundless wealth and huge tuition and rental fees.

And other countries' having paid to raise them to adulthood. Deport these opposite-of-freeloaders, now!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i mean it worked in the last 4 elections

Off topic but: baby tapir! :kimchi::kimchi:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Love a Coalition of Chaos I do

Prospective FM must have name with same cadence as Ed Miliband, otherwise it's just sparkling disorder

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

When all you have is denial, everything looks like Hamas

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

lol even Havering showed a mild swing to Khan

(Boris Johnson singing in a bad Scottish accent, while holding a guitar by the wrong side of the capo)

"And I would vote 500 times
and I would vote 500 more
Just to be the man who votes 1000 times
To keep the UK poor"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Our flat in London had a nice extractor hood over the gas hob :smuggo:

Of course we later discovered it wasn't actually connected to anything. Just a round hose hole at the top, leading nowhere

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

"I have never been near a school in the morning or afternoon" because anyone who has would know that kids are still rowdy.

Except at Michaela, where zombie children is policy

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Tony Blair was a war criminal. Also his da was a lawyer & he went to Fettes.

Bit uncalled for, there's plenty to criticise Tonty for, and lots of people put on weight as they get older :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Angepain posted:

last big one I remember was The Secret, which was a while back. i guess it just keeps getting reinvented with different names and a new set of books to buy every few years

This is the premise of the podcast If Books Could Kill, which dissects and mocks this type of thing. Running gag: they're all the same book.