Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any reason to sleep at an inn except to update your pawn? They cost a lot of money and don't even provide a buff, whereas camping is free and does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AndrewP posted:

so wait. I watched Jeff Gerstmann play the beginning of this game the other day and there was a cart that you could take to the main city if you wanted.

I've been dicking around and Gregor says "well there was supposed to be a cart to take us there but it's not here so I guess we'll just walk". did I really miss it by taking too long to do this quest? because that's hilarious if so

Nah you’ll reach it later.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don’t know if that’s how it works but you wouldn’t need to go afk, just not sleep at an inn.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mdct posted:

You can change them at campsites without needing to rest at them, but yeah, I feel like the game really wants like one more skill. Just one - with how much more the skills do in this game compared to DDog 1 maybe a full 6 would have been too many, but 5 is, I think, where it shoulda ended up.

Didn’t the first dog have 8? Four on your right hand, four on your left.
(A fighter got four slots for sword skills and four slots for shield skills, a strider got four dagger and four bow, etc)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Is the double jump for the rogue classes still a thing?

There’s a walljump, haven’t seen double jump yet.

Calidus posted:

That save the lost grandson quest is wild a night. Visuals of the flowers plus a Lich and skeletons was really good.
I just had this quest dumped on me while I’m half-dead looking for an inn or camping kit, so I’m kinda nervous. Plus I’m underlevelled for the region and just changed vocations.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 26, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are there any non-bathrobe sets for Sorcerers?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How important are mage Augments for a Sorcerer?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pmchem posted:

i managed to fill up my inn storage last night. didn't even know that was possible -- guess i should start selling stuff!

Picturing an inn room just completely chock-full of decaying monster parts, obsolete equipment, herbs and interesting rocks. You have to turn sideways to sidle to the bed. Like a heavily-armed episode of Hoarders.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This rear end in a top hat won't take my Seeder Tokens. Who does he think he is?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

They have to actually be in your inventory, not your storage. I hate it.

I had them in my hand. But he'll only accept Seeker Tokens.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a bestiary or something I can look at to see what's weak to what?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sorcerer has been effective so far but with no way to target weakpoints I worry I'm going to have trouble with Drakes etc.
What element should I be using on the stone lizards (rattlers)?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It turns out Drakes do not like Maelstrom. Who knew.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

Maxed Thief starting vocation at the weekend, and am now at the point where I want some of those other passives but that means not being a thief for a long while. :negative:

At least, I collected some decent gear for other vocations so it's not quite like starting from scratch.

Often three pawns can completely carry you and you can just let them fight while you collect DP.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

2) I try to use the ropeway station. First time is fine. Second time my main pawn walks off a clip so I get to ride the gondola to its location with the lovely soundtrack of 'a pawn dying'. I touch down. I charge a group of Toxic Saurians despite being at like 60% loss because the hell I'm paying 9999G for an inn room. I die because I'm stupid. Luckily when I reloaded the game reloaded my idiot pawn next to me so I could revive him instead of having to find a waystone.

There's also a cheap inn in town. You don't have to go to the 5-star one.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Another thing that annoys me with the opaque systems in the game is how bosses respawn and how it apparently distinguishes between dungeon(cave) bosses and those in the wild but there's no information on it at all in the game.

I wanted to get some electrum for a weapon upgrade and there's apparently only two places to fight the high tier golem that drops it. I was able to find it eventually and did some exploring, sleeping at every campfire on the way to pass time and on the way back it had respawned so I got the two electrum I needed, great.

Before going there I had killed a Lich in a cave for the high tier crystal I also needed. The Lich had not respawned and apparently after some googling there's a weird timer system where you need to rest at at inn on another continent 7 times before they respawn?

In the first game at least you could use forged crafting materials in upgrades.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Meteors solve everything. Only disadvantage is that without a pawn to grab aggro you're completely defenceless against anything scarier than a goblin.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: I'm actually tempted to start over again, and set up a new pawn for people to hire while I take a break. What's the easiest way to get into Battahl?
Last run I used the coastal path, but that one can be kind of rough.

I just hopped in the back of an (enclosed-back) ox-cart that was heading through to Battahl. They searched it in theory but didn't actually spot me standing there, and I jumped out on the other side. Not sure if this exists before the story progresses though?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

every store the further away you get from Vermund will have better stuff if you go south to Volcanic Island they'll have something even better

The one exception to “further south = better” is Elfburg.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

that place sucks and is like, barely south of melve

They sell a pretty drat good Archistaff for how far north they are

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I mean there's an obvious way to get the interesting outcome, if the kid never comes home the orphan gets to be a noble.

Does the mum notice in that case?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They should make Dragonblight increase pawns strength/magic proportional to how close they are to going genocide man. Make it a gamble.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume I want Elven smithing for a magick bow?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

McKilligan posted:

Oh my God I love Meteoron so much. Just calling in a loving howitzer strike. Sorcerer felt a little underpowered before this but the tables have turned.

gently caress it, me and my pawn both gonna roll Sorc just so we can summon skyballs faster.

Don't forget about Maelstrom. It doesn't have quite the damage output of Meteoron but it works in a lot of situations that the other doesn't.

Edit: Also, you can keep a Meteoron in Spellhold to double-tap things. Always use the standard cast first because releasing the Spellhold will straight-up knock you down from lack of Stamina.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Another fun fact: you can forge them

The forgeries don’t work though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Found a big monster turd with flies swarming all over it

Props to the grossest turd I have seen in a game

This is... the Dragon's dogma.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a better way to find Drakes to harvest other than wandering around with no particular destination?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thieves aren't good at keeping the enemy busy smacking them around while I charge up a spell.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Besides the part where they are completely invincible AND have a parry-counter move AND a bunch of skills that stagger the monsters into not being able to do poo poo?

Oh they're better at killing the monster. But not as good at holding aggro by being a pinata.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Why do golems need one weak point that's hidden for 90% of the fight?

Wait for them to use their eye-laser and get tuckered out, then get in between their legs grab a foot and push it ‘outwards’, splaying their stance and making them topple over. The sole is now exposed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How effective is the anti-aggro Augment from Thief? The lack of numbers in descriptions makes it hard to tell.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

The bad ending for Short-Sighted Ambition is so hosed lol

I mean you had to be able to see that coming.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

Using it + the more aggro augment on my pawn at the same time, I could not notice the slightest difference

Many augments seem to have embarrassingly small % bonuses.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Strip naked, tell your Pawns to wait somewhere, approach driver from behind and talk to him. From that point on act like a masterless pawn.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

I'm getting irrationally annoyed at the fact that "oxcarts only run during the day because night travel isn't safe" and the fact that 90% of my oxcart trips somehow get ambushed in the middle of the night (and the cart destroyed or ox killed of course).

Try to lure enemies away from the cart. And don’t destroy it with your own friendly-fire ofc.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the Volcanic Island gear the best you can get before the postgame?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, but it's identical to Sara's selection in Bakbattahl if you've completed the questline associated with her.

Which you can't do until you've been to Volcanic Island.

I found that there's a tier in between Volcanic and Postgame that is sold in NG+. Only seems to be Weapons and Chest Armour.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

It's interesting the way some quests and events have so many forks and dynamic adaptation to the player tackling them differently, and others are so hardcoded that they'll actually teleport you around to force you to 'do it right.'
The Coral Snakes quest section where you run through their base did not like that my spearhand could teleport and airdash around and bypass some of the obstacles, so kept teleporting me back to where I'm supposed to be hindered by the cut bridges or falling gates so I could see where the camera pans.

If you're doing that quest and get to the chase sequence: ignore any pawn that says they know where to go for it. You're going the right way, the pawn knowledge is bugged for that quest and they'll just run you in circles around the outside of the base.

Sorry to inform you that your pawn is working for the Coral Snakes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

McKilligan posted:

Also, has anyone else noticed disappearing corpses? I swear I'll occasionally blast a cyclops or griffin so hard they're completely obliterated.

Yes. Excessive amounts of fire damage post-death seem to reduce things to ashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I swear it's something to do with like setting the corpse on fire or exploding it. I've done it manually by throwing explosive barrels at a cyclops before, its corpse burnt away just leaving bones. So sometimes a pawn will cast meteoran and every meteor will just pummel something out of existence.

The times I've seen it happen has been when one of my spells keeps hitting it after it's dead. Salamander continuing to DoT and burn up a griffon corpse, or the first meteor killing a cyclops and the remaining three blowing it to pieces.