Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Please take Danny DeVito with you on your adventures, thank you.

he's waiting

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
does anyone know what area counts as "western vermund" exactly? i have a pawn quest i wanna do but not sure what exactly counts

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Phlegmish posted:

Speaking of, since the wikis are still barebones, what's the best bow you guys have found so far, and where did you get it?

I bought Savage Fang in Vernworth and haven't found anything better so far, though I have yet to reach the western settlement. I saw a pawn who seemed to have good stats with this spiky kind of bow and wondered where they got it

Real talk go west, past the river to the elf town to get a good bow early (if you have money), it’s actually not that far from melve

Edit: has anyone hired Danny? Did he do good for you? I’ve been debating changing his class from the rp thief because he rarely seems to get hired but he kicks a lot of rear end for me so idk

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 24, 2024

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Neo_Crimson posted:

What are the best ways to make money early game? I've been consistently strapped for cash buying/upgrading equipment and I just finished the Nameless Village which sells lots of expensive Thief gear.

this was a while ago but i've made a boatload of money by quickly swapping out pawns with 10k gold for x kill missions. mostly cyclops or ogres. probably like 150k so far but i've mostly spent it on ferrystones whenever i see them for sale

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Broken Cog posted:

Man, the Saintess of the Slums had an anticlimatic ending.

I actually had to look up what you were supposed to do for the last step.

i can't figure it out, i feel like i should be able to get the doctor to help the guy. i've even finished the quest in the same day you start it and wasn't able to talk to him afterwords.

can't seem to figure out the correct sequence to help save the guy

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
also those of you who tried mystic spearhand or haven't yet, don't sleep on the invulnerability bubble.

combined with the mage augment that increases buff timers i can make my entire team invulnerable for pretty much ever. i killed a drake earlier pretty handily with it, you can even revive pawns while it's on you. it's goofy!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Vintersorg posted:

Seems everyone here picked melee? No posts about casters so I can get hot tips? :lol:

mage is easy, i just had empyrean/frigor/lightning one (and eventually their high versions) along with celerity as a buff, i rarely remembered to use it though so you could switch it for whatever.

empyrean is useless against anything that isn't undead pretty much but i was able to kill a wight in a dank rear end lich library with it, very early in the game while i was going with gregor to melve. poor gregor died fighting it but thankfully i had a wakestone for him. was incredibly intense though, everyone in my party had like 20% max health by the end due to the amount of times i died/revived everyone. love doing those fights when your extremely early and weak as gently caress!

anyway sorry idk what tips to say other than use the element that works best, frigor in general is pretty great for little guys cause it'll toss em up and either kill them outright or let your pawns just brutally stab them on the ground. lightning in general is a great all arounder.

idk that it's worth it to max mage before doing sorc, maybe? the top end mage augment is good (increased stamina recovery) and probably good for sorc.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ytlaya posted:

This new Thief pawn I just replaced my last Thief with seems to suck and get hit *way* more than my last Thief pawn did. I wonder if it's because the AI is worse at using some skill it has equipped.

I wish I was lol. I've only gotten 2 full ones so far, though I haven't been swapping out pawns as much as I should have. Hoping I don't die before I can get another (only need one more shard at least, which I'll get from my current pawns).

Going to switch out pawns a lot more frequently from now on.

danny devito is awaiting your call

Zore posted:

Sorc really doesn't need the increased stam recovery augment because its dedicated class action is just 'rapidly refill your stamina'.

oh thats rad, i haven't played it yet cause i unlocked mystic spearhand right as i was about to...

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Drakenel posted:

For those of you looking around for seeker tokens, it helps to get one rank up in the trickster class. It unlocks an augment that makes them gleam really brightly and makes a repeating noise when you're near one.

Where do you get it

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Vermain posted:

it's very funny that thief has some of the game's hands down best base skills (notably ensnare and helm splitter) and inarguably its worst loving maister skills. the autododge is kind of thematically appropriate, i guess, but in what loving universe is "i rub my knives together so hard they explode and also damage me" A) useful and B) something a thief would do

it's supposed to be bad, it's a decoy skill lol

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i found a capcom pawn in the border town with a specialization that lets you sell? stuff to him or something. i hired him immediately hoping to get the specialization eventually for my own pawn. then the game crashed and my save was before i hired him and i can't find him again.

i'm very sad.

his name was opal, was a mage around level 34 or 35. no idea how to find him again.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Baiard posted:

Does anyone know what loving bug is causing NPCs to fail to give out items? It's happened multiple times now for me to the point where it's getting aggravating. Luckily there's a shop mod that allows you to buy the grimoires you're missing, but I've missed pawn specializations and other unique quest rewards. I wasn't running any mods or have full inventories of any kind.

Maybe it's related to the poor CPU usage or something.

im guessing in almost all cases it's because you didn't meet an affinity threshold with the npcs your talking about. try gifting them something they like and then waiting a day or two and talk to them again.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
just an fyi you can get the same pawn quest reward multiple times

so if you find a pawn that has a trade for like a goblin horn and they'll give you 10,000 gold you can hire them, give them the item and get the gold, send them back and do it again lol

Inzombiac posted:

So... Mystic Spearhand is bugged, huh?
I can't get any of the Bolt skills to work or the basic spear spin, either.

yeah i wasn't able to get them to work either. good to know it's not just me being uniquely bad at pressing buttons

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 26, 2024

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It really is fuckin' wild how, as I'm closing in on Level 40, so many of the players are putting up pawns around that level with no specialization, bad vocation skills, no Pawn quest, and dogshit starting equipment. Whoever these people are, I am not going to hire their tiny hot gal in booty shorts, she's garbage.

Also, is the MainPawn thing a joke that I'm missing or...?

Edit: just discovered the MainPawn thing is what happens when you don't set a pawn name and only set a moniker.

i mean i haven't put a specialization on danny cause i haven't gotten a good one. i don't want him to use curatives on my main pawn and i'm not a fan of logistician. i haven't unlocked anything else personally yet and i'm level 35.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

CharlestonJew posted:

Pretty wild that there seems to be only 2 town portcrystals. That's how many the original game had but the map was also like, a sixth of the size of this one.

i only just recently got to cat town and i think i have 4 or 5 of them?

woops i misread that nevermind

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Nuebot posted:

Personally speaking, I think it's just a transparent bid to join the culture war that grew up around this game for weird and seemingly arbitrary reasons. Basically every modern capcom game since DMC5 at least has had pretty much this exact style of "you can buy a pitiful amount of in-game items that you'll be able to earn within an hour of play" microtransactions. RE2 and 4 Remakes sell "deluxe weapons" and basically every RE game has costumes or "unlock everything" DLC too. But there wasn't a massive internet shitstorm over those. RE4 has roughly $100 in DLC if you don't count Separate Ways.

But for some reason the internet has chosen this game, specifically, to flip out over. And it's kind of just an ongoing meltdown that began with people losing their minds over the character creator demo being "woke" because the exact same people who were going insane over that immediately pivoted to saying the game was broken, literally unplayable, and paywalled fast travel and character customization and all that other poo poo within hours of the early release and streams.

The funniest part about it imo is that DD1 was much worse! 12 years ago!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Jack Trades posted:

Also, with the new difficulty mod I'm using I actually had to use my healing consumables for the first time, which made me realize that they actually DID nerf healing potion spam from the first game by virtue of making you lose Max HP on every hit.
You can still effortlessly avoid death as many times as you have potions, but that's still much better than how it worked in DD1.

You must be a god gamer, there’s no telling how many solubrius droughts I’ve tanked or forbidden fruit rolls I’ve eaten

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Leal posted:

I did pass by that lady and she told me about it but I never got a quest for it

yeah it's a little finicky. you'd think that'd start it but no, go talk to a noble man standing near a fountain? very close by to trigger some dialogue and then go talk to her again and suddenly the quest triggers

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Sloober posted:

quest spoiler bribe the guy 2x, you have to wait a day or two for the second one where hes like 'ah well these things take time', then they catch a guy you also talk to a couple times who spills it on the bandit leader location, then you go kill him, then you have to 'advise hugo on his life path' which i never figured out how, since i didnt he ends up getting in some fight and dying in battahl. you can convince hugo to live an honest life but you have to literally find him a job somehow in order to do so. i'm not a temp agency so i didn't spend time trying to figure out where he could work

the hugo questline kind of mildly upset the completionist in me because i couldn't figure out how to get him a job, so i ended up reading on the quest online and found that one of the methods is impossible for me to do because the quest has a very short window of completion and the other i had already finished in a different way. so he's just gonna stand out there forever i guess. if anyone's curious about the short window questline it's whilhelmina's quest(s) after the coronation but before you leave for battahl. basically have to do it while you have the "nation of the lambent flame" main story quest, and before finishing it. if you don't you can't complete wilhemina's questline which locks you out of finding a job for hugo later. she also just loving disappears completely eventually if you don't do it..

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ytlaya posted:

By "before you leave for Battahl" do you just mean "before you've been to Battahl"? I've been sent to Battahl, but I haven't finished the Nation of the Lambent Flame quest (which is what sends me there). But I've technically "left for Battahl." I'm in the Checkpoint town right now and was planning on going into Battahl tonight, but I might head back if I need to to do that quest.

as long as you don't finish the quest i believe. but IIRC it's kind of thrust upon you by an npc running up to you so it's impossible to avoid if you actually go to bakbatthal

also i kind of get that tier list, at least partially. Nothing beats levitate for exploration. it's so frustrating not having it.

this kind of means warfarer is #1 by default though imo

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 27, 2024

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

GhostDog posted:

So for some of those barred doors they really want me to spend 20+ minutes running back and forth to switch to archer? Despite having an archer pawn with me? Couldn't just let me use a bow as a warrior and just make it ineffective in combat? Getting really tired of some of this poo poo tbh.

Have you considered using one of the one billion consumable magic tomes

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

George Sex - REAL posted:

Hearing about people's specs/performance makes me scratch my head about my own. I've got a 7950X3D, 6400HZ ram and a 3090 TI. Fans barely speed up if at all, temperatures stable, ~30% CPU utilization in cities and I really can't break 40 FPS. The rest of the game is fully inconsistent. Weird experience, nothing quite similar. I'll randomly get 60+ FPS while adventuring and just think how much better it feels. Wish I had a solution

this may feel backwards but try switching dlss off, and also maybe make sure your cpu isn't being throttled by power settings or temperature

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

404notfound posted:

Finally took down my first drake, and ended up using two wakestones in the process. I was a mystic spearhand, which I thought would make it easier, but the bolt didn't seem to slow it down much, and the animation lock on the spear attacks got me in trouble several times. I neglected to take the actual projectile weapon skill, and so a lot of the time the drake was airborne was spent trying to air dash toward it and whiffing.

I'm close to level 10 on mystic spearhand, so I'll probably go ahead and max it out, but I don't think I'm going to keep using the vocation. Something about it just feels kinda clunky to me, like the skills don't synergize well or something

you don't have the invulnerability bubble for your whole team?

mystic spearhand was the first vocation i beat a drake with because it was so radically easy lol

i also don't get the lack of synergy stuff, you get the charge + divebomb for dealing with big mobs/getting on their backs instantly, you have the little magic missile things (well it's upgrade mostly) which is great for dealing with trash or flying monsters or just adding dps, and you get a bunch of other skills that seem neat but i never really used. like the big charge up laser thing which is probably great for building stun on big monsters.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Do I need to worry about wrapping much up before doing the Coronation quest? Kinda eager to proceed with the MSQ since I'm outgrowing my surroundings, but also, having seen people mention the story kinda ending abruptly, it's hard to gauge where I'm at or what i'm about to commit to.

Definitely feeling the comments re: difficulty, I'm starting to mop the floor with enemies a bit too easily.

yes there are a number of quests that end after it, also a few that are only available right after it (like wilhemina's questline)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i managed to figure out how to beat the sphinx without using the unmaking arrow, if anyone else has had trouble with it. the clue was pretty obvious in retrospect but just wanted to let people know that:

you don't need to use the unmaking arrow
as far as i can tell, the battle isn't timed. or if it is it's very generous.

if anyone wants a clue or the outright answer i'll post it

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Everdraed posted:

spoiler post that sucker, I was pretty sure it was following the depicted in-game sphinx art where ya only attack the hindquarters? since they all show keeping the bust pristine but scarring the body to hell but even reloading a save a few times I couldn't get it to work so just went with da good ol regifting strat

it was indeed. basically you can't damage (or at least meaningfully, i didn't test to see if there was a threshold or anything) her human parts which is basically her tiddies, head and possibly her whole front part in general.
I think a major thing is either dismissing all your pawns and throwing your main pawn off a mountain or doing what i did, which was dismissing my pawns and telling my main pawn to wait! and hope it worked. it did work, he scared me a few times and ran around her feet but thankfully didn't hit her and also at some point got knocked down.

regardless, there didn't seem to be a time limit not that it took that long. i think maybe 60 second or a minute and a half at most at level 42. After doing it i found a video of a guy taking like 5 minutes or more so it's probably pretty generous. just to be safe i'd stay away from her wings/front portion cause some weapons could probably smack her head.

i don't think it's possible to do without a way too much effort on sorc or mage, and impossible as a trickster. easiest done probably as a martial class for me. i'm sure some people are good enough at aiming to do it on a bow character but it ain't me. l

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
merchants definitely have some kind of gold/affinity/stock system cause once i bought some poo poo from one of the merchants (i think i spent like 30k or more) their inventory changed instantly and suddenly they had a bunch of more expensive poo poo to sell

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Shyrka posted:

He wants you to take him to a chimera so he can get poisoned himself. I noticed after a while he wasn't around and figured he'd been killed so I finished off the chimera and then he shouted at me from outside the cave that I'd killed it too fast.

i carried his rear end into the snakes venom cloud and he thanked me and ran out of my arms home

unfortunately the quest seemed to break from there, as he's at home now but just walks away from his house towards where the chimera was. when i talk to him he's saying the same line he said when he got poisoned about it coursing through his veins and feeling good like the little freak he is.

that said the quest wont finish

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Everdraed posted:

ahhh, okay, I was sorta assuming it wouldn't be too punitive on pawns' damage (I probably did 90%+ of damage annihilating her backside with erupting shots) but that was probably a dumb line of thinking given it's dragon's dogma haha

given how you are immediately thrown into that fight and pawns will jump in, that's honestly a little too foreknowledge specific and unforgiving to me, unless waiting will totally prevent all attacking I suppose?

yeah telling to wait usually works, i hit the button every 15 or 20 seconds out of an abundance of caution

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

404notfound posted:

I didn't have the upgraded bubble, so I'd use it and my party would inevitably be spread out and end up taking some big hits. Which meant that I had to go grab them and run off to try and revive, which is usually when one of the drake's spells would pop and get me, which the bubble didn't seem to help with.

I haven't had much luck with the charge attack putting me in an advantageous position against big monsters, and I admittedly swapped out the magic missile one as soon as I could because it didn't seem very strong. Other than the charge and shield, I had the divebomb equipped, which isn't much help against a drake (the heart is on the underside), and the telekinesis spell, which again didn't help as I was out in the open with little to utilize.

Sorry I'm not as good as you, I guess :shrug:

sorry that came off as so dismissive. the bubble absolutely works on everything the drake does including it's spells

toasterwarrior posted:

Jack, you said that even the base settings this mod has feels a lot better paced than vanilla difficulty? Is that right? I'm planning ahead for a replay since I know what quests to expect now.

just so you know, that mod (and every RE:framework mod) can get applied twice (or more) if you were to disengage with a mob and fight it again, like a drake or gryffon flying off and then you fight it again. the way it (and all re:framework scripts work) is they apply their effect at some triggered moment (in this case, when combat begins) and thus can stack indefinitely, leading to invulnerable monsters or other stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Thundarr posted:

Its pretty fun, but i seem to be extremely incapable of timing the button presses to warp to the target or spread the ranged attack.

Those 2 and the spear twirl core abilities are impossible for me to activate as well. I literally cannot mash fast enough for the twirl, and according to people who can it’s basically so fast that you can’t do anything else