Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sounds like a Jedi Survivor performance situation with regard to the "there's literally nothing you can do to achieve a high framerate regardless of your hardware" situation (at least before Jedi Survivor's patches, and I don't expect this game to patch in better performance). I'll be happy as long as I can get 60fps outside of cities (CPU is a 12700k which seems pretty good)

I think I might enjoy this game, since my main issue with Elden Ring and the Souls games is how incredibly dour they are. It's a bummer wandering through Depressing Land Where Everyone Is Miserable Or Insane, even if it's aesthetically beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hosed up that we never find out who wins

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Drakenel posted:

I mean... where does this fall in that spectrum?

That's just a FF7 Rebirth moogle

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Finally my decision to invest in fiber Internet pays off. It's going to release at 1 AM over here so I don't have much time so I need to be able to fly into free as soon as possible

I got fiber a few months ago, and it really owns for things like this. Basically never takes more than an hour to download a game.

Play posted:

Star Wars Jedi Survivor literally never fixed its frame drops and stuttering. They tried for a while and then Respawn completely gave up, which I thought was pretty pathetic.

It was improved a lot from release, at least on PC. At release, there was literally nothing I could do to achieve 60fps in some areas (like the starting Coruscant) - even at 1080p and everything Low, it would still be like 50fps. After the various patches, I can easily get 80-90 at 4k, and 120 with framegen (though Jedi Survivor's framegen adds a weird shimmer to things that I don't like).

edit: Like it still has big issues, but it's significantly better than it was at release

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Play posted:

I'm sure that's true, but I got the game way after release and while average framerate was at least okay, the stuttering was completely ludicrous. Every time it happens it just instantly takes you out of the experience. Feels cheap, lovely, and even makes some people feel ill. No setting did a single thing to help.

Ah, that explains it. You just missed how insanely bad it was at release. Even average framerate was terrible. Was probably the worst performance I've ever gotten from a major game release (relative to graphics quality and hardware).

Maybe DD2 will dethrone it? We shall see.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This seems to look good and run well for me, at least in the more open areas. It's possible my standards have been heavily altered by getting used to FF7R's performance mode, so just playing a game in 4k again is nice.

I can't check my actual FPS since for some reason neither NVidia's overlay nor Fraps are working, but having the cap set to 120 is definitely smoother than capping at 60 when I'm in open areas, so it must be something notably over 60.

I'm playing an Archer, and the controls are going to take some getting used to.

Also, the way the character face creator thing works is brilliant. It's a wonderful way to give the player more freedom to create something unique without the difficulty of dealing with all the sliders.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I love how both my character and pawn turned out. My pawn is a large muscular Chinese man and my character is a short lady with a ponytail. One of the pawns I hired was an "official" pawn or something, from some separate menu. I guess created by Capcom? He's some guy named (IIRC) Yoshi and is definitely the more obnoxious pawn in my party. My pawn and this mage lady pawn I hired are both chill, while this guy is just constantly running around.

I have one question related to my Archer weapon skills. I started with a skill that quickly bombards an enemy with two shots. Single-target DPS skill basically. But I also learned a skill that fires a single powerful shot. So I'm not sure which is better for single-target DPS. It seems like the latter might come with the downside of needing to stay still when you use it? It definitely has more "oomph" to it.

edit: I'm reading that you can only have one character in this? That's weird. Some are saying you can't even replace your first character?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 22, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I saw a Geralt in the rift

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I see the difference between Barrage and Dire shot now; the latter immobilizes you a while.

Dire Shot is fun though, I like making little enemies go flying.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there any reason for me to hold onto this Marcher's armor set I picked up in the guard house? Stats are bad but it looks cool. Tempted to sell since I'm low on cash after blowing all my money on fancy gear, but don't want to if this is unique or something.

For now I'll stick it in my storage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm guessing damage influences enemy aggro? I had trouble getting this Cyclops to stop attacking me (the Archer) so I could resurrect our Mage. My Fighter pawn wasn't getting back aggro very quickly. This might make sense since I have a fancy bow and presumably do a lot more damage.

One question - after the Cyclops fell over, I tried to climb it, but this just resulted in my character sort of pulling on it (which also seems to be what made it fall - it was staggered and I tried climbing, which instead made me pull on it and it falling). I was pressing R2, which I thought was the climb button.

Also - how do you get (for example) a Fighter pawn to use the shield launch thing on you?

Tricky posted:

Well, there is one thing. When you wear the marcher's set people think you are a guard and you don't count as trespassing in areas where guards can be. It makes running around the palace very easy.

Oh nice!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Owl Inspector posted:

Yeah this is super weird honestly

I'm mad you can't hide helms. I don't want to hide my pawn's face!

At least Archer (my character) seems to have access to helms that show face and some hair.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does leveling as different vocations impact your overall growth much?

If I want to be a Magic Archer later, will I benefit from leveling as Mage, etc?

Also - are any vocations "must haves" for a party? I'm a little worried about not having a Mage pawn in my party, for the heal. IIRC Sorcerors don't have the heal? Same goes to a lesser extent for Fighter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ajkalan posted:

I like how you can see pawns' Arisens now when you're hiring them, so all the effort put into the player character doesn't go to waste, so to speak. (Also because now you can't hide your secret shame if you're playing as a default.)

I found a Caska pawn with a very accurate looking Guts Arisen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zore posted:

That was Dragon's Dogma 1, in 2 your stats readjust based on your vocation so everyone who's level 20 will have the same stats as a Sorcerer or Warrior.

Awesome. That makes the "you can only have one character" situation a lot more tolerable and almost like FF14 or something.

I guess you're also sort of incentivized to level other vocations for the passive, since IIRC they can be equipped on different vocations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Horace Kinch posted:

Mage vs Sorcerer: Mages get to keep their utility spells. Sorcerers are KILL KILL KILL.

Does this mean a Mage is effectively required if you don't want to just use a ton of healing items?

I notice some pawns are "Chirugeons" but I don't know what that entails.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah pretty much. at least the normal heal this time is a basic ability and doesn't take up any slots

chirugeons pawns will use healing items on other pawns/you. So it's still healing item-heavy, but you don't have to micromanage as much, just give your chirugeon pawn a bunch of the basic healing draughts and debuff removals

That's kind of a shame and seems to leave Sorcerors in a weird spot, since you'd need a party of half casters to use one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It feels really good when you finally get back to town after a long outing where your entire party is Heavy with loot and can deposit it all. Ended up just using my first fast travel crystal to return to the city instead of trying to make that journey back with everyone Heavy.

During the outing I encountered a Minotaur and an Ogre. The former was trivially easy as an Archer. The only time it threatened me was with the easy to dodge charges. Just shot off its horns. Ogre was a little trickier since I missed dodging one of his jumps and it almost killed me.

I also encountered some sort of dragon/wyvern fighting a gryphon. I did not fight them.

Saurians have actually proven the biggest threat to my Archer so far, since they can often hit me with their spear even if I sprint away, and I don't think I have any "dodge sideways" or "block" options. Especially in enclosed areas where I can't just make space. Came very close to dying when one stun-locked me in a series of spear stabs. Hopefully this "enemies are more likely to target you" passive (plus the upgraded taunt) I just got for my pawn helps with stuff like that.

I also got the thong pants lol. Every time my character climbs a ledge she flashes me (Archers flip when they climb some ledges, don't know if other vocations have that animatiom).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ugh, I beat a Gryphon but had to use a wakestone (my only one) because it one-shot me near the end. It only had like half of its final health bar left! The fight took forever, and I think it didn't help that my level 8 Mage pawn was underleveled (I immediately replaced him with a level 15 one afterwards, since that's my level).

Is that Gryphon attack a scripted part of the quest where you deliver a letter to Melve via oxcart?

Speaking of that quest, it had an hourglass in the quest log. I did it immediately because I wasn't sure if that meant it was timed (though from the description it doesn't seem like it should be timed, so the hourglass may have just been referring to the need to take the cart at a specific time).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apparently Ogres (and probably other enemies) instantly die if they're knocked into a river. My pawn shield bashed him off the edge and I got XP, and the other pawns were like "nice, that certainly works."

Edit: Unrelated, but I find that the lack of quest markers isn't much of a problem since "NPCs that might have quests" are usually very obvious.

My only concern is about quests that give really important stuff. Like when the girl from Melve (I think) approached me in the capital and gave me the Chirugeon manual thing. I'm not sure if that's the only way to get that.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Was it in the town itself with a bunch of NPCs helping because lol poo poo I am not fighting a Gryphon!

Nope, was on the road. There may have been one or two caravan guards helping (since it crashed the caravan).

I'm an Archer so was able to avoid most things at range, but when I misjudged something and got hit it knocked off like 2/3 of my health. And since the fight took literally like 20+ minutes, I ended up at a point where that 2/3 was all my HP due to attrition.

My party mostly did fine, except for the Mage who kept dying (which put me at risk healing him).

I'm guessing you can kill stuff like that faster once you get higher level and better gear? The fight wouldn't have been bad at all if it had only lasted half as long. The only time I could even see his HP bar moving is when he was downed and I was using the "machine gun arrow" skill into his face. Machine gun arrow skill owns.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 24, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vermain posted:

yeah, it's usually a combination of your gear + levels that determines how much damage you're going to be able to do to large monsters. some vocations like thief get attacks like helm splitter that massively ups their DPS against them, but you're otherwise better off trying to target specific weakpoints or ground them by e.g. using explosive arrows against their wings midair

So they don't scale with your level? That's good if so. It definitely seems like orcs go down even easier than they used to.

One issue I ran into was running out of explosive arrows like 1/3 through the fight. I think it took like ~10 cycles of downing him total.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My pawn has never been summoned even though he's level 15. Maybe giving him Chirugeon will help.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Noise Complaint posted:

The trick is giving your pawn the ranger thong

I think my issue is that my pawn is a non-beastren man who isn't a pretty boy (though he isn't ugly either). So he doesn't tick any boxes for most gamers. And he's a Fighter, which it seems isn't very high demand.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

You on the sheet yet? If you're on PC, link your Steam profile and just start adding goons on there. I pretty much exclusively use 'Search Friends' Pawns' when I'm hiring a new pawn.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Hm, the girl in Melve I bought the medicine for was supposed to give me a specialization book when I found her in the capital apparently? Because she totally didn't.

She did for me a while after. She just appeared out of nowhere in the commonor quarter and accosted me and gave me the book.

Vermain posted:

the pawn system is great because of the wild variance in experiences it creates. sometimes you run into a pawn you hired 20 levels previously out in the wild and get to bring them back on, and sometimes you touch a ruined riftstone and a horrible 8ft tall goblin woman pops out telling you of her skill with curatives

I think the pawn system is a great alternative to map/quest markers. You can just keep getting new pawns and wander around and let them lead you places. And I imagine as you get higher level and players have done more, the pawns will be able to lead you to more stuff (not entirely sure how this works - can pawns point you towards anything they got with their Arisen?).

It takes a huge mental load off, since constantly scanning the environment visually is very tiring for me. It's nice to just follow one of the pawns somewhere (and it seems like one of them asks if you want to check something out every 1-2 minutes).

Another neat thing is that I believe you can search for pawns who can help with specific quests. So that addresses the "no/vague quest markers" issue in a way that feels less "gamey."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 24, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao, Donavan says (minor early sidequest) the caravan reached its destination safe and sound. Not true! It was completely destroyed by that Gryphon! I then ran half the way to Melvw before encountering a different oxcart which I took the rest of the way. This makes me think the Gryphon maybe wasn't a scripted part of that side quest.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Should I be hesitant to enhance gear due to the future availability of different enhancement styles? Or can you remove/replace enhancements later. Or maybe it's just not an issue since later gear will be better?

I got this one bow that is obviously meant for Magic Archer (gives a ton of Magic), so I'll definitely wait until I can enhance that with Magic .

Edit: I encountered a place with a cyclops on a bridge, and I think the falling cyclops was supposed to form a bridge, but instead he just fell into the gap and died.

On the upside I got 10000 from it due to a very lucrative pawn quest to kill a cyclops.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 24, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Carefully debating whether to blow over half my money on this Flamberge for my pawn who I just turned into a Warrior. I figure I can also use it on myself when I try Warrior later.

Apparently Warriors can also wield giant hammers, which is cool.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I saved the boy from wolves, though sadly died once on the way there (and used the wakestone that I had just recently created) from slipping off a loving cliff while trying to look down and see how far it was! I used the stone because I wasn't sure if time would pass if I didn't, and wanted to save the boy. In the end thing went okay and I killed two Ogres on the way.

Before this, I encountered the new most dangerous enemy type for me, these electric Saurians. Had to run the first time I aggroed more than 2. Saurians in enclosed spaces in general are pretty dangerous to my Archer, since they have long range and it's hard to get away. The electric ones can easily straight-up kill you if they shock you and then start stabbing.

This game is very fun. I normally don't get into this sort of game, but I like going on these expeditions and the world is very dense with things.

Play posted:

Just do it imo. I never hesitate to spend money if its a decently sized upgrade, for me or my pawn.

I ended up buying a big armor upgrade for my Archer Arisen. I got the one that can be used with both Archer and Thief, so I can also use it when trying Thief. It makes a pretty big difference; I was taking a lot less damage when I got hit by the Ogres mentioned above.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

404notfound posted:

I finally got to Battahl and was trying to do the sword restoration quest, but it wasn't triggering. I realized I didn't have the sword in my inventory, went to the inn to get it from storage, and it wasn't there either. Is it possible that I accidentally sold it? Can I get another one? :ohdear:

The game implied to me that stuff you've lost like that can be repurchased later at the salvage guy at the border town. I'm guessing/hoping that he exists as a way to prevent you from permanently loving yourself over like that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Somehow I have yet to find a single Seeker token thing, even though I've explored a pretty large range of places.

GreatGreen posted:

There is honestly no excuse for the game not having a lock on mechanic. You obviously wanted to block that attack. It’s not believable that a person in real life would want to block an attack with a shield and simply just face the wrong direction by like 40 degrees and then whoops they get hit. It’s stupid. The developers were idiots not to include it and it honestly destroys the verisimilitude of playing a melee character that can block because of how clumsy the simple act of blocking is without lock on.

I will absolutely die on this hill. Anyone who disagrees is wrong, and not least because if you don’t want to use a lock on mechanic, were it to be added, you could simply not click the stick to activate it.

I feel like another issue here is how good the AI is. The AI seems quite good at blocking. My pawn rarely takes damage. I doubt I'd be able to do as well myself.

I still want to try it at some point, since I like the idea of being a shield-user.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 25, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sloober posted:

Not sure if some of you haven't figured it out but you can use a health item when you're definitely dead if you're fast enough on the trigger, like game over isn't instant.

Been ranking up spearhand and I'm not sure I like it too much, sometimes abilities just don't do any damage, which seems like it might be a bug. It does have a very fun movement attack tho that really, really shines in Drake fights, and a way to instant stagger regular sized guys.

On the side of something extremely funny happening I found a shallow cave in berttal and something like 12 lizards clown carred out of it. At the time I was still spearhand and got to force throw like 5 at a time into other lizards. Very niche use ability though

Is it possible there's some sort of different damage scaling happening?

I get the impression Mystic Archer might scale on magic or something, since I found a bow that gives a ton of magic but has low attack, so maybe it's similar for Mystic Spearhand?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I came across someone's pawn in the rift that had 3 ranks in every single available vocation, at level 20.

Also, the default "wakestone shard for traveling a day/night" pawn quest seems way better than most others I've encountered, except maybe the "10,000 for killing a Cyclops" one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This new Thief pawn I just replaced my last Thief with seems to suck and get hit *way* more than my last Thief pawn did. I wonder if it's because the AI is worse at using some skill it has equipped.

Zore posted:

Incidentally is anyone else swimming in Wakestones compared to game 1? I have like 20 just lying around at this point and that was the postgame goal in 1.

I wish I was lol. I've only gotten 2 full ones so far, though I haven't been swapping out pawns as much as I should have. Hoping I don't die before I can get another (only need one more shard at least, which I'll get from my current pawns).

Going to switch out pawns a lot more frequently from now on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm a dumbass who bought the Ferristone from the counterfeit guy lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I noticed when browsing various rift pawns is that lots of people do not keep their pawns geared well. Some haven't even updated their skills! I saw this one level 20 pawn with only a single skill equipped.

SHISHKABOB posted:

same. I alt tabbed when i cast it bc i get bored easily by scene transitions and came back and was like... bruh

I trusted him because the jadeite orb i got from him was legit

I'm curious how the Japanese version of the game does the distinction, since they can't really do the Ferri/Ferry thing. There might just not be any unless you look at the description.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

This is why you should use goon pawns exclusively

I added myself to the list, but it's tedious to go through adding everyone as friends, so I'll have to make some time for that later. You have to add as Steam friends, I'm guessing?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there any reason you'd want to use Logistician on your pawn? Having them combine stuff on their own sounds like a nightmare! I deliberately let fruits age do I can turn them into dried fruit, for example.

Edit: Wait, is there no way to change pawn specialization after you've used the tome? I thought the tome just unlocked it as an option, but that's loving dumb if it's the only way to change specialization.

Thundarr posted:

I went with Barrage and Keen Sight and their upgrades. The first will basically one shot weak enemies with no fuss, and the later is ok for opening a fight with a sniper shot. I switched to mage after maxing archer, or I'd have swapped Spiral in for Barrage.

Torrent Shot (and its upgrade) + the spiral shot (the DoT one) seems like they basically render Barrage Shot obsolete. The former is better raw FPS and the latter seems better as a thing you can use while moving.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 25, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trying to wrap up my remaining quests in the capital before making my next big expedition to the east, but I keep coming across new ones.

Looking forward to exploring again. Need more cash to get a nice sword for my pawn (or, even better, find one). I'm also just assuming the Sorceror staff is somewhere to the east, since the Warrior sword was near another main quest location.

Also need to try out Thief at some point, since I have a couple really nice Thief weapons. One has some permanent electrical elemental effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

My go-to is throwing my spare Panaceas out for people in exchange for stuff like saurian tails to make more roborants

Ooh, that's a good idea (at least if you can do it in exchange for multiple tails).