Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pillowpants posted:

Same but every movie ever

Someone has never seen No County for Old Men :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

triple sulk posted:

serious question for all the respirator people, are you all just so immunocompromised that if you get covid you're like 100% sure you're gonna die and/or you have to be around people 75% of the day or what

at this point i'm assuming if ever see somebody with one and they aren't doing some kind of construction that they're a poster in this thread

(1) my father is recovering from radiation treatment for cancer in his neck

(2) my mother had a severe aneurysm and experimental brain surgery a few years back

(3) my SO works full-time in a major metropolitan hospital, and was on a Covid-positive unit for several months in 2020

(4) my sister and her SO were infected by colleagues who got tested after being warned via contact tracing, but went into work for the day between test and positive result

(5) I've had multiple stays in the Infectious Diseases ward of a different major metropolitan hospital because my immune system isn't necessarily compromised but it is definitely "non-standard".

gently caress it, let's provide visuals. In 2019 I had a mild ingrown nail on my fourth finger. Bacteria got in, swelling occurred. Despite being prescribed oral antibiotics, then IV antibiotics, then IV antivirals, and finally a combo of the above, it progressed for 9 days as seen below.

NSFW, it isn't godawful (i.e. no blood or open wound) but also depends on how you react to pus and stuff. Individual spoiler tags so you can bail if you regret checking it out.

This was the mild incident. The 2017 infection in my foot was much less pleasant.

All of that is why I'm part of respirator crew. And it felt good to type that all out because goddamnit people up here are way too complacent and nonchalant about Delta.

There is no downside to a respirator and it comes out cheaper than disposable filtered masks in the long-term.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYcp1bUb4lU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

don't ever post anything like that again or else bro

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

you already have 1 strike for the falcon guy side quest and this is strike 2 for nasty toe

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Marzzle posted:

sure bud whatever you want to believe

we're sorry for not taking anti-White racism seriously

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

SchrodingersCat posted:

You can generate antibodies against more than one part of a virus, so as long as some of your antibodies can slow the virus down your body can adapt to the newly presented antigens and clear them out.

It's why we can get sick with the cold, and also why it doesn't kill us. It takes a while to spin up a response from memory cells. The problem is when a novel pathogen like COVID shows up and kills 20 million people as part of that process.

It's also a problem when you have a half-assed vaccination program putting enhanced evolutionary pressure on the virus to rapidly mutate away from the known antigens, and a half assed mitigation program that allows novel variants that might die in vivo to spread.

Edit: It's also why a vaccine that only targets one specific antigen on the viral capsid may not be effective in the long-term when combined with the aforementioned half-assed programs that basically FORCE the virus to evolve, and render the vaccine and resulting B-cells with less or even nil efficacy.

Yeah, I agree with this. However I'm trying to draw attention to specifc research that suggests that COVID might not in fact be able to render the vaccines induced antibodies and the associated B-Cells totally useless. Note once again this might be a bogus, naive interpretation of the presented content, and this is just one specific lab study. I'm in part trying to understand how off-base that is.

But if true it in a way makes it even worse. Due to our collective incompetence we took what might have been a disease that could be handled well by existing vaccines in concert with NPIs and turned it into a maximally dragged out ongoing crisis, with an associated maximal body count. We might be getting pushed around by a relatively trivial to handle virus, in the grand scheme of terrible viruses observed in nature.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Just got back from getting a test; one of my roommates started having upper respiratory / sinus infection symptoms, and now two more of us are, as well. All of us are double-Moderna vaxxed and I don't believe any of us have had a fever at any point.

Saw a minivan with a couple of kids at the drive-thru site. gently caress. :(

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

mod sassinator posted:

ah yeah it's probably closer to 42% effective after a few months. israel data has a very clear month by month drop from mid 80s 1 month after 2nd dose down to 16% (yes, really) 6+ months after the 2nd dose

i think there's something funky going on in both case with the denominators. esp when you consider the british 95% immunity numbers. so nate might be right against his best efforts.

i also suspect that the antibodies do wane and that is harmful w/ delta bc it replicates faster than the vaccine mediated immune response

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What's with the COVID thread and fingers

We had that guy last year who ripped off his thumb skin while weightlifting and refused to go see the doctor

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tiberion02 posted:

So - I work in a 10 person, 100% libs office that was WFH from March 20 to June 1 2021... everyone came back, not a single mask to be found anywhere.

Now that Ohio caseloads are trending way up, the entire office has panic'd in the last 2 days and has gone to 100% masks wearing-rate (except at lunch and in someone's office of course, lmfao).

We have an office 100% vaccination rate. lmfao

they all post here

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
Well, I popped positive for Covid today. Was vaccinated back in February. I most definitely caught it from my buddy's wife who also tested positive recently - they're the only people we see and likewise for them with regard to us. We all work from home and do contactless pickup for everything we need, except my buddy's wife recently went into the grocery store for some stuff they missed from their last order and probably got it there (Texas lol). So far I'm only experiencing mild symptoms, but it's still pretty unnerving and does nothing to assuage my doomerism. A group of 4 and half of us were breakthrough cases lol.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Fun fact: Besides the initial outbreak at the start of the pandemic, the worst day for COVID deaths in King County was Christmas day.

But I'm sure we can beat that if we try hard enough.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Pulvis Sumus posted:

Well, I popped positive for Covid today. Was vaccinated back in February. I most definitely caught it from my buddy's wife who also tested positive recently - they're the only people we see and likewise for them with regard to us. We all work from home and do contactless pickup for everything we need, except my buddy's wife recently went into the grocery store for some stuff they missed from their last order and probably got it there (Texas lol). So far I'm only experiencing mild symptoms, but it's still pretty unnerving and does nothing to assuage my doomerism. A group of 4 and half of us were breakthrough cases lol.

Sorry buddy, hope you feel better soon.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

But if true it in a way makes it even worse. Due to our collective incompetence we took what might have been a disease that could be handled well by existing vaccines in concert with NPIs and turned it into a maximally dragged out ongoing crisis, with an associated maximal body count. We might be getting pushed around by a relatively trivial to handle virus, in the grand scheme of terrible viruses observed in nature.

It's not a trivial virus, we are getting pushed around by a virus badass enough to kill people in spite of everything modern medicine can throw at it, and still manages to infect and kill people with acquired immunity.

COVID isn't the worst virus we've encountered, but it's decently lethal and if COVID had arisen a century ago you'd probably be looking at a Black Death or at least a Spanish Flu level situation.

The only really effective mitigation strategy for COVID is basically cutting off all human contact until we had a vaccine, and then forcibly administering vaccines to stamp it out before novel variants could pop up. It was never going to happen in our society.

SchrodingersCat has issued a correction as of 20:24 on Aug 11, 2021

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pulvis Sumus posted:

Owned.

Good luck on a quick recovery.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My roommate has respiratory problems, and nearly died from a severe asthma attack last year.

That's why I'm respirator crew

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

What's with the COVID thread and fingers

We had that guy last year who ripped off his thumb skin while weightlifting and refused to go see the doctor

Don't worry, he made sure that he was diligent about his respirator.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pulvis Sumus posted:

what version of the vaccines did y’all have?

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Google Butt posted:

Sorry buddy, hope you feel better soon.

Thoguh posted:

Owned.

Good luck on a quick recovery.

Thanks, hoping it will be speedy as well.

Mr. Nice! posted:

what version of the vaccines did y’all have?

The half of us that got sick both got Pfizer. The ones that didn't get sick both had Moderna.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pulvis Sumus posted:

The half of us that got sick both got Pfizer. The ones that didn't get sick both had Moderna.

:lmao: I have Pfizer

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Moderna gang rise up

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

:lmao: I have Pfizer

RIP.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pulvis Sumus posted:

oof. i hope you all recover without lasting complications.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

Moderna gang rise up

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos

Pulvis Sumus posted:

BahahahahahahahHh

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Hey by all means help me understand what's wrong with what I wrote, well aware I'm dumb as hell. I'm trying to understand the implications of this Bieniasz lecture about COVID antibody-influenced selection. If you're saying that I've fundamentally misunderstood the presented content then that's plausible.

I don't think you're "wrong" just maybe over-optimistic. Like, what the Bieniasz work shows is that

-Spike, by accumulating no more than 20 point substitution mutations, can evade most vaccinated or convalescent people's antibodies completely
-If those antibodies undergo a lot of affinity maturation, this seems to be no longer the case
-That degree of maturation, in order to be relevant, may require boosters or new vaccines
-Absent this smorgasbord of substitution mutations, it doesn't look like there are a lot of other single point spike mutations in the virus's bag of tricks to further escape antibodies

Even if you just end things there, I don't think the situation is necessarily "good". If delta achieves a significant degree of antibody escape, while retaining any semblance of it's current R0, then the next 6-12+ months are going to loving SUUUUUUUUUUUCK, worse than anything we've experienced yet. And while the news about affinity maturation is welcome, really exploiting that may require a sustained and very successful vaccination effort--possibly with a new vaccine--and, well, we see how well that's going.

There are other concerns, though. One, that, Notorious R.I.M. points out, is that there are proteins other than spike which could play a role in immune escape and these aren't nearly as well studied. The biggest one I have, is that I don't think anyone really knows how much room there is for the virus to become more infectious or more virulent. What's concerning is that, with both the initial emergence of delta and the (still very limited) genomic surveilance we've seen this summer, it doesn't look like pure antibody escape is the primary thing being selected for. With alpha, beta, and gamma variants there was sort of a gradual accumulation of the various big dick immune escape substitutions, but with delta, it doesn't have most of them. Instead, it did some other weird poo poo, particularly it seems at the S1/S2 cleavage site, and just became way, way more effective at causing infections in people. I don't think we have the knowledge to constrain, let alone rule out, further developments in that direction.

It may be that instead of defeating antibodies, the virus evolves towards a brute force approach (like delta), and in that case, I don't think we know how well people's immune systems or vaccines will hold up. At the end of the day, though, whatever mutations occur, as long as the spike can be neutralized by antibodies, some vaccine based approach should eventually be broadly successful, and it looks like the virus probably can't escape neutralizing antibodies on spike forever. Anyway this bitch is gonna churn through the entire globe three times over before any reasonable fraction of people are vaccinated with anything, so the best any of us can to is get whatever vaccine/boosters we can to give ourselves the best chance, and limit exposure as much as possible after that. How/when/if this finally "ends" is just speculation.

In conclusion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbG3qOWjoKo

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Bullshit, there is no way we’re past the peak.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Getting the impression the official vax breakthrough numbers are bunk

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Pfizer/moderna gang represent we don't know wtf

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I want to make a covid video now, what are some other good song suggestions? Going to do it as a timeline, with the death toll constantly ticking away at the bottom.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

skewetoo posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/SaltySalish/status/1425303390511243270?s=20

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I just want to point out that this poster was probated for 2 weeks for saying "lol @ d&d " in a thread that was gassed lmfao

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

lol, hotez sharing some fan mail

https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1425536632191692805

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

skewetoo posted:

gonna lmao when it turns out like 25% efficacy against infection with delta and the reason nobody showed that is because they weren't monitoring breakthroughs or were using data from prior strains

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

oh yeah i’m not going out or doing anything. i’m basically sitting at home all day or at my girlfriend’s apartment.

here’s where i got 42%:

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...ime-2021-08-09/

just to be clear here, the study in question shows 42% with a 95% confidence interval of 13-62% (meaning there's a 95% chance the actual at large efficiency is anywhere between 13% and 62%, and a 5% chance it's not even in those bounds)

also for additional information, the company nference that produced the study is not primarily a research lab, it's a tech company that hires researchers at higher salaries than normal research labs to churn out papers as a side gig to their main gig which is supposed to be pointing ai and big data at existing research papers to draw novel conclusions. they're basically the theranos of research papers

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

weren't they already not doing that, how is this a change

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Looks at dd thread

Don't know whoever is responsible for the fuckup(everyone) matters in our current worst case situation but hey whatever makes them feel better

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

weren't they only tracking breakthrough hospitalizations in the first place?

welp too many vaccinated people are ending up in the hospital so we're going go stop paying attention also get vaccinated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
must be a lot of breakthrough cases if you cant keep up