Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Posted in the MLB thread, but deserves a repost: In Search of Baseball's Holy Grail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

erezaka posted:

I already posted it !!

Whoops. I saw Reilly's name and kept scrolling.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Georgia Southern upset of Florida made me look up some stuff about the early days of the (revived) program and about the influence of Erk Russell. I stumbled upon a pretty good Sports Illustrated article from 1987 about both.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The broken bones posted:

Smith had this unbelievable ability to draw his audience into the scene with him. I remember this one where he turned this ho-hum story about a really great high school basketball coach in a small town that everyone loved and turned it into this beautiful piece of a man who wanted to be the best, wanted his students to be the best people they could be, but kept everyone at arm's distance. I wish I could remember which story that was, it was gorgeous.

Gonna miss him.

Uh, this one.

warheadr posted:

Higher Education - about the life and death of a coach in Amish country and the impact he had. It's been awhile since I read this one, but I seem to remember it being pretty emotional.

Editing track results yesterday for our local rag, I was reminded of what turned out to be another Smith piece, The Power of One.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

he probably just likes being able to stake claim as the fattest person in attendance so he's bitter toward the B1G

Indeed.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Crion posted:

Bet you any amount of money you please that the next issue will still have photos. This is part of an industry-wide trend of turning every person not in an executive office or part of the executive support structure into a freelancer.

There were only six photographers on staff, according to the article, so they've been been doing that for a long time.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BWV posted:

certain sites/platforms benefit from personalization. ESPN is not one of them. It remains one of the few (maybe only) widely relied upon mainstream sports-media outlets. It should not become some facebook-like scroll-athon where I have to log in every time I want to get rid of Dallas Cowboy pop-ups or random tweets from the Golden State Warriors

what a loving mess

I don't know if it's attempting to read IP addresses for suggested teams or if this is national. I am nowhere near any of these teams.

It just needs a New England Patriots for maximum screen punchage.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

and his name is Dave meltzer

It's still real to me, dammit.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

The incredible thing: The L.A. Times was paying T.J. Simers $234,000 A YEAR when he left.

Well, I'm certainly working for the wrong paper.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's really an incredible show and I always kick myself for not watching it more.

The story about the girl with no legs who turns out to be Nadia Comaneci's long lost sister is one of the wildest things ever.

Dominique Moceanu.

The sister, Jen Bricker, also did gymnastics, but seems to mostly do speeches now with her adoptive parents. One of the local gymnastics places brought her in a few years ago.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

gently caress off.

I'm barely being paid poverty wages as it is.

I'd love to see Rovell in actual newsroom on an actual beat rather than filling his story quota by stretching a few sentences out about a tiny convenience store not selling Sam Adams until after the Super Bowl.

The store owner rightly noted that the stunt was likely to make him money because news organizations took the bait.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ESPN has a piece on Forest Trail Sports University, a for-profit school whose ideal was to have sports front and center, with an online cooperation with another college for academics.

quote:

"There" was Forest Trail Sports University, which promised a new kind of college experience, focused on athletics. And these players -- they have named themselves the Renegades, but Refugees would be just as accurate -- are survivors of its collapse. Arriving last August at the for-profit program, which charged a tuition of nearly $33,000, they were consigned to an old hotel, without adequate facilities, staff or supervision, on a campus where the threat of violence turned out to be more common than classes.

All the players taking the field have a story: The 6-foot-5 lefty starter had come to FTSU looking for another shot at impressing scouts but was rebuked for trying to eat more than a single Pop-Tart for breakfast; the second baseman found himself taking BP on a caged-in tennis court knotted with tree roots and branches; the third baseman discovered holes in his bed and mold in the air conditioner.

And as the story of Forest Trail's implosion makes clear, the baseball players were the lucky ones. Athletes in most other sports were abandoned by their coaches. Some had to deal with serious injuries without being able to get proper treatment. None played anything like a full schedule of college sports.

"Forest Trail messed with our families, our money and our emotions," says Anna Roets, Nick's mother. "These kids have been to hell and back."

Tuition was $33,000.

I can understand young athletes being hoodwinked, but it's odd to me that so many families trusted this school. Or were willing to pay installments to total $33,000 for their kid to hang on to a dream. I can understand being hoodwinked by Full Sail because success in those industries are harder to track with less of a clear-cut path. Any high school coach would be wary of this.

If your kid can't catch on for baseball at even a junior college level, your kid isn't going to make it.

I'm watching junior colleges give scholarships to players who can't hit .150 at a high school level because of what might be for his body type.

Even Strasburg was able to walk on collegiately after being an admitted awful (and lazy) high school player.

Hope the athletes can make peace with the likely end of their athletic careers.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 17, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sash! posted:

That sure makes me smile. I had a checklist card that had a checklist of checklists too. I'm pretty sure that I traded someone for it. I had a thing for checklists.

It's hard to say which were the better checklists, the Topps ones with the team photos or managers, or those sleek artistic ones from Upper Deck.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Fun article on the development of the original NBA Jam.

Wish they would have talked more about the hidden characters, though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The whole Fox Sports Desk Twitter account is so sad. Nothing but begging for audio scraps at this point.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

In J-school, one class had a weekly short segment devoted to bad journalism. Surprisingly, this didn't come up.

We were always advised to never do stupid poo poo as placeholders and for this very reason. Since I've been writing, there was one settlement from our paper, but it didn't have anything to do with me. A paginator was given an update to run on a name in a police report. The paginator applied it to the wrong name, turning a minor traffic offense into a crime against children.

I get extremely cautious about wording. I've had parents yell at me over the phone because I confused scores of a private school eighth grade football game. Nope I'm not about to put nasty jokes in a story about teenagers, especially on the cusp of deadline.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I witnessed a signing for one of these fly-by-night schools this spring. Sketchy as poo poo.

The kids who signed with this school had no chance of playing anywhere else, including a larger high school, and perhaps couldn't have even qualified academically for even the nearby community college. And like the College of Faith schools, belongs to the NCAU, which has this for a Facebook page. This is official website of the NCAU. It's a free Wix site.

I can't determine if the NCAU is the craziest or second craziest thing I've had a chance to indirectly experience covering prep sports.

A tiny private religious high school was raided one spring by the Department of Homeland Security for terrible conditions, a few days after it played an area regular private school. It boarded Latino baseball players by crowding them into a moldy gym with limited electricity and to basically fend for themselves. Apparently the basketball program was semi-legit in that one of its graduates got into a Division I major school and was arguably the team's best player for a couple of years.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Did you guys know Bill James wrote a book about serial killers? Found it at a used bookstore and it's a weird ride. Then again I like his style of writing.

Because of his name being on the cover, I borrowed it from the local library.

It's awful. The more I read, the more I felt like James was very selective in choosing bits and pieces from stories to fit his narrative. I did look up a couple of the contemporary stories and in one of the cases he highlighted, it was something like James saying the family was killed in the middle of the night because that was his killer's M.O. Most stories, including those from nearer the source of the crime, said it happened in early daylight because the guy was out feeding his chickens (or something similar).

His naming of a suspect at the end made absolutely no sense. It's not backed up by anything but a hunch.

The Villisca area slayings have been suggested as being connected.

There's just no way that there was one person doing this nationwide, coast to coast.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MourningView posted:

I think you're talking about a different Bill James serial killer book but the other more general one that niwrad is talking about is weird and lovely too.

Yeah, I confused them. There's the general one you're talking about, which I haven't read. The one I'm talking about is The Man From the Train.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

They probably noted the success of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWtx9JwNzmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZfbN02_9Jw

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

What became of Michael Vick's dogs :unsmith:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/1180661632290230272

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha holy loving poo poo

I was initially going to concede that at least it's in AP Style.

Then I looked again.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It may be because I work in media, but to me bad editing (or no editing, in this case) is worse than wrong opinions.

(I'm the 49'ers.)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I like this one:

https://twitter.com/roomiecrisis/status/1240702654361128960/photo/1

The capitalization of nearly every word is driving me crazy, too. I know it's the style at some places, but every headline at Vichy Deadspin is way too long making it even worse.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 20, 2020

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

a deadspin article cropped up on my fb feed because i forgot to unlike them but woof

https://mobile.twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1244626480212082690?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

who on earth is their copy editor and why is he letting them get away with those long rear end titles

Speaking of copy editors, check out the main 'filed to' there:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've spent two days trying to parse this and I'm still not sure what he's asking.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I was fine until I got to Rembertus Beerepoot.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I don't subscribe to The Athletic, but after seeing the preview paragraph and a reference to "bad gut," how many stories are out of Steve Howe's book?

Steve Howe was a colossal screw-up, but a chapter in his autobiography about the pranks they pulled on each other is one of the best I've read.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Something tells me he's also one of those guys who thinks doctors/hospitals get a cash bonus for every death they say is coronavirus.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The closest thing to a sex tape Deadspin published was that Manti T'eo's girlfriend wasn't real.

Deadspin did publish several bits of naughty B-roll of fans in the stands, including Skydome hotel sex.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FMguru posted:

It's one of the most insidious forms of elite gatekeeping. The only way to get a job in media/showbiz/politics is to either 1) know somebody, or 2) work a series of minwage or unpaid internships in an eyewateringly-expensive metropolis (NYC, LA, SF, DC), which is something that only people with family resources have the ability to realistically accomplish. As a result, the people working in media/showbiz/politics overwhelmingly come from well-connected and deep-pocketed families (and are collectively about as ethnically diverse as a Klan meeting).

Depends on the media.

It's definitely not the case in small-town radio or newspapers.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mahoning posted:

I know the word “harrowing” is thrown around a lot but holy poo poo is this story harrowing. A tough but really good read.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30800732/san-francisco-giants-outfielder-drew-robinson-remarkable-second-act

Trigger warning, the story talks about suicide in detail.

Read that earlier. It's an incredible read.

The human mind, man. It can be so rational, even about an irrational act. I hope his support system sticks with him.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

What if King Edward VIII traded Wallis Simpson to Denmark for an unmarried princess and 2 duchesses to be named later?

A married princess, a duchess and a dominatrix and he might make a deal.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Looks like it's already down on Minihane's Youtube channel.

An area school system wanted to do something similar (but not with evil intentions), with staff reading children's books in Youtube videos. Copyright issues meant they had to take them down within 24 hours. No, you can't read a full book on Youtube.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

And yet it was a first round exit (it was 2019 apparently, not 2020):

https://challonge.com/NameOfTheYear2019

I found last year's pre-Defector one as well: https://unnamedtemporarysportsblog.com/heres-your-2020-name-of-the-year-bracket/ and it was in April of last year, so it seems like we're overdue

Truman Peyote deserved a better first round seed than Storm Duck.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

On a related note, out of the blue this afternoon I get a message from Deadspin, a spam message inviting me to interview one of their writers. Attached was a link to an Osaka piece.

There wasn't much difference between this pitch and the ones I get daily to review books (Harold the Cat also appeared today), talk to sports "experts" I've never heard of about new cleats and the like, boost my Google analytics or the batshit ones from Japan that talk about dragons with tails cut off.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

With the exception of the first Super Bowl season, the Falcons have been unbelievably consistently underwhelming. It doesn't matter if it was a season when they had no talent or in seasons they did. Atlanta has always been worse than they should have been.

Bois could fill seven episodes on just their draft history.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CVagts posted:

As a Falcons fan, nooooooooo. I don't think I'll be able to watch that.

Be proud. Plenty of teams across all sports are awful, but how many had a coach make an illegal phone call because he didn't know all his playoffs scenarios, followed by a coach who straight up abandoned them? Sandwiching their quarterback running a dog fighting ring?

And how many franchises brought back Marion Campbell after an initial 6-19 run thinking it'd actually work this time?

Just Atlanta.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 22, 2021

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm halfway through the sexual harassment section and don't have the stomach to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

All of these awful things but the worst thing I learned in that article was that there’s such thing as a “rat tail comb”

Olbligatory "million to one shot, doc":
“WENT TO SIT DOWN IN THE BATHTUB AND SAT ON A PLASTIC BOTTLE OF BUBBLE BATH THAT WENT INTO HIS RECTUM”