Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ugh, tell me about it...who puts a ceiling fan in a kitchen?!

And of course no under-cabinet lighting...or any lighting at all other than the ceiling fan...and I guess the light-bulb in the stove hood (that does not actually vent outside, despite being an exterior wall) works.

Having gown up and lived in various houses built in the late 50s and early 60s, curling fans definitely had a purpose in kitchens. Those houses don’t have the best cross ventilation. The ceiling fan keeps you from cooking yourself while preparing dinner when it isn’t winter time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

mds2 posted:

I love that house. The only thing that is weird is the pool handrails.

For some reason I imagine this:

https://youtu.be/K2OfJIwgysg

But instead of grass, it is the carpet.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Aside from the obvious misplacement of the electrical connection, is a ceiling recess for a chandelier an actual thing? Seems an odd choice to put some ornate stuff on the ceiling, then recess it so you can only see it when you look up past a bunch of bright lights from underneath.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I checked the link, and every non-bathroom has all that stuff. What are they all? Are the round ports lights, or something else? I have seen newly built hospital rooms with less connection ports.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

How does that happen without shattering and/or feasting on human flesh?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

Surely that's a shower with the head missing, right?

Nope, that’s intended. I stayed a couple nights at the Kohler resort & spa, right outside their factory in Wisconsin. I went to fill the tub, and it was an identical design with the water coming down from the ceiling. It just didn’t have the voyeur window to the world.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

In which case: what the gently caress?

How noisy is that? It must sound like a burst watermain hitting an empty dumpster.

If I remember right, it was loud until there was a couple inches of water in the bottom of the tub.

And the place was a bit of a demo of the crazy options available. I think the shower stall had at least three different nozzles. A rain head directly overhead, a standard height nozzle just above head height, and one or two waist/chest height. And they could be individually turned on or off (only a single temp control)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't understand what the trucks are for

The trucks carry the generators that power the giant drone. Those cable strips they were disconnecting were the power supply.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I worked for my best friends dad roofing one summer. We were replacing the sheeting on a roof and I slipped and started sliding off. On the way down my boss goes "You're fired!"
I slid off the roof, landed on the ground, rolled once, and got up on my feet (it was only 8 ft from the roof to the ground). My boss asked me, "Are you ok?" I said I was fine and he said, "Ok, you're hired again".

Was he messing with you, or was he serious so that you were “not an employee” when injured?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Never mind, tried again and it worked.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

By popular demand posted:

Nay, worse than any gazebo. It's what happens when a house gets cancerous.
:magical:

Kill it with fire before it devours the entire city.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

That reminds me of a house I went to look at 2 years ago in the suburbs of Chicago. It was a beautiful house on the first two floors, but had made some weird design choices in the basement. It was like they broke through parts of the foundation to expand the basement. I had to almost get on my hands and knees to crawl through a small 4 or 4.5 foot opening to get to where the washer and dryer were (I am 6ft 6in). And there was a whole storage area that had the same issue. I think the ceilings down there we’re all over the place as well, so I had to constantly watch my head. The only saving grace was all the concrete was painted or epoxied, so at least it looked pretty nice, even if it wasn’t super functional.

I did not buy that house.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

This was way out in the suburbs, in Naperville. I doubt this house was raised up. Much more likely that additions were added on later, and they expanded the foundations or basements for the added on part of the structure. The land the house was on slopes down away from the street pretty significantly so it might have required putting a full basement level foundation for support, rather than the usual slab foundation additions get around here.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Maybe it’s just the perspective of the garage camera, but it looks like that pool had a base of only a couple inches of concrete. I wonder how long it lasted. Like did they fill it that morning, or had it been a few weeks/months.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Oh hey, I had that happen to my current apartment when I moved in, except it was the air vents and exhaust fan in the (windowless) bathroom instead. You can see the immediate problem.

Which was the first clue of the problem? The visual clue or the olfactory clue?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

They did a lot of work on the lower cabinets too. The dishwasher got moved (you can barely see it to the left of the sink) to make room for the microwave down below. With the fridge and oven out of frame, that makes for a super lovely work triangle.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

Electrocution hurts, animals getting fried makes me sad.

The good news is that animals getting electrocuted inside substations can be bad for the equipment, so most electric utilities are putting in animal protection inside their distribution sites. The distribution stuff is close enough that small animals can cross the phases, but high voltage transmission is usually spaced far enough apart.

So it’s not directly out of care for the animals, just for the effects on the bottom line, but it’s still a win.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I got sucked in and watched more of that than I should have at bed time. It was an old building in Paris that must have had running water retrofitted in or something. That’s why the tub was in the tiny kitchen with a partition wall to make the closet toilet. It probably had a single water source and drain run.

They also did something kinda strange for the flooring. They took strips of wood and made a X with nails down it’s length. They then sunk that X into blobs of plaster or cement or something. They then proceeded to pack the underside of the wood with the plaster/cement. The effect was to make like ferring strips with an 8 inch deep, 1.5 foot wide (but you know whatever in metric) gaps that was then filled win with ground cork for sound insulation.

And termites. That building had termites kinda bad. Must been some pretty good construction to still be standing.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

gvibes posted:

Hah, I live in Chicago, read that post, and was wondering "how else would you wire anything"?

It was a bit interesting when I lived in the Chicago suburbs and commuted to Indiana (Hammond) for work, and heard some coworkers talking about rewiring their house. Mentioning just throwing BX cable everywhere and how fast/easy it would go. And my house at the time had to have some requiring before I could close on it because the previous owner had more than 6 feet (or maybe 3) of romex to a light fixture in the basement.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Um, 170km long, and able to get from one end to the other in 20 minutes? That seems a bit much. If I remember my high school physics, assuming linear acceleration to midpoint, then same decel to destination, wouldn’t that put the vehicle at like 1000km/hr at the midpoint?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

The two-depth double garage?

I think there is a quota of at least one house a block with that in suburbia. I know my neighborhood has quite a few of those sprinkled around. Some original to being built in the 80s, and some due to shoehorning a 3rd garage bay onto the property.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Crappy construction in progress!

I can't count the number of ways this could go horribly wrong.

This is a trick question, right? Is there any feasible way this actually goes right?

I mean other than intentional workman’s comp claims. But there has to be less traumatic ways to get workman’s comp.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am reminded of when I was looking for an apartment with a friend right after college 20 years ago. We took a look at a carriage house (whatever the living space above the garage is called) that the owners were looking to rent out. It was an old building that had no outlets in a tiny dining room. And one of the “bedrooms” was an overly large hallway that led to another bedroom and a den type area.

While my friend and I could have probably made it work, we decided it wasn’t going to be worth the hassle living essentially in someone’s backyard and passed on the place.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

What are the odds that hood actually works in any way useful? My guess is it just blows into the attic. Or maybe it does actually vent outside, but the outside isn’t sealed well, so it just lets water pour in when it rains.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I like how the bottom of the front facade is hinged so you can still get to the roll up car door in the main building. From the look of the concrete underneath, that was the plan all along. So strange.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Epic story, awesome schadenfreude - sad ending for the reporter, though (unrelated to the story.)

:dadjoke:
:golfclap:

edit:

It's almost as if someone should make mounts designed for hanging fans on sloped ceilings.

Which would be scarier, the current install, or an install that had the fan blades at waist level?

We all know that if the installer did the drop fan, it wouldn’t be low enough to spin freely. But the fan being low enough that it completely takes up a large chunk of walkable space in that “room” is also kinda funny.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Arrath posted:

No, see, you just frame out some cut-outs in the walls for the blades to spin through.

Sorry, I didn’t have enough concussions to think like a flipper to come up with that idea. It is obviously the right idea, except for the whole frame out. Are you sure it isn’t just “tastefully cut out some drywall”?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My mind refused to believe that is real. I figured it had to be a photoshop. Then I noticed the reflection in the car. Then my brain started hurting.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Found in the meme thread:

I'll say this; at least the TV isn't mounted above it?

The longer I look, the worse it gets.

Absolutely nothing is centered, it’s not just the fireplace. Then I see the useless desk due to the size of the TV. Then the extension cord for the “fireplace”.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I just noticed that there's two different colors of roof. And no, the bright red roof isn't new, you can see water stains all over it on the second pic.

It’s definitely intensional. In the background of the second picture there is a similar house with the exact same roofing color difference. It’s probably for the exact same reason there are so many corners on that house. What that reason is, I couldn’t actually tell you. My brain nopes out of that thought process.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

How is the door that much higher than the picture window next to it? I get having to step down into a basement apartment. But having to climb stairs outside just to step down on the inside to the main floor? What’s up with that?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Probably the living room behind the big window is a step or two down from everything else on that floor.

It’s possible, I guess with the basement window below, I just assumed that there was a basement (or parent’s) apartment. And it would be kinda odd to have multiple levels on the first floor. But this is the crappy construction thread, so anything is possible.

It could just be how they made the entryway work with access to the second floor apartment. Elevate the entryway a bit, so the stairs to the second floor fit in the space now available.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Just Winging It posted:

Y'all don't do pull-ups in the shower? A display of masculine virility like popping off a set whenever really gets the ~females~ hot and bothered.

I choose to believe that the municipality has a building code that mandates a safety bar in the shower, but fails to mandate any requirements for the bar. So obviously in a house with urinals in the kitchen, and a beer tap over the toilet, the safety bar goes out of the way in the ceiling. Can’t have safety equipment getting in the way of whatever Fraternal induction ceremony takes place in that glass cage.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

Jesus 70 dB of painful high pitched whine. This is a terrible idea.

So it pretty much fits in this thread. Aside from the fact that it is crappy IT assembly, and not crappy civil construction.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Am I seeing that right? The counter is part of the stairs? Isn’t that unsafe from so many directions. Food contamination and slippery as hell. Not to mention no guard rail, so I hope you like breaking your leg in the sink and smashing your face on the floor.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Guess the state:

Trick question. That’s what the electric system equipment looks like everywhere.

Were you trying to single out the fan bolted to the radiator? That is not particularly exceptional or noteworthy. Maybe if the fan was just sitting on the ground that might be something.

That is a distribution level transformer. Those things are long lived and generally run to failure. So the fact that it looks 40+ years old is to be expected.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am not sure if this is crappy construction, or just crappy maintenance. Probably a bit of both.

I have been in my current house for 3 years now. Late last week the kitchen sinks started draining slow. With a garbage disposal on one of the drains, I figured I got a food clog in there somewhere. I ran a full bottle of Draino, and a quarter bottle at a time, no change. So next I get my 20 foot drain snake and give that a try by removing the P Trap of the non-disposal sink. I don’t feel any obvious clogs, and when I get everything back together, it’s still slow (but no leaks at least).

Since it is 30ish feet from the back of my house where the kitchen sink is to the front of the house where the big 4 inch drain line is, I think maybe the snake couldn’t reach it. So I go into the basement to open the clean out on the 2 inch kitchen drain line and try from there. It should allow me to get the whole thing snaked. Luckily (or unluckily), I was to busy dealing with the horror I found in that 2 inch PVC pipe to be bothered to take any pictures of what I found. The drain line was 95%+ full of solidified grease. That was a quick “holy poo poo, I really need gloves for this” moment. I was able to get the clean out back on and grab some nitrile type of gloves to clean everything up and get a good seal on the clean out drain cap.

I then got a sewer rodding company out there a couple of days later to clean the whole thing out in like 10 minutes.

30 feet of basically flat 2 inch PVC drain line with what I can only assume is over 30 years of grease in it. I don’t go pouring bacon grease down the drain, but I am sure small amounts get down from when I clean up after dinner. But I really doubt we clogged that drain that badly in 3 years. I learned I need to be proactive in running really hot water down that drain.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Motronic posted:

Insufficient slope is the common issue that causes this. If you got away with it for 30 years I wouldn't be too worried about correcting anything.

Good to know. The 30 years is just a guess. I have no idea what the previous owners had to have done. All I know for sure is I got away with a little over 3 years without doing anything extra.

I was just a little too used to my old house that had all the sinks/tub/toilet centrally located. So it went to a big cast iron drain stack after less than like 5 feet of run at like a 15-30 degree slope. I only had to worry about clogs after my now wife moved in with me and her hair would get into the tub drain.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Other than the aesthetics, something is telling me that is a really bad idea. But I am not a plumber, so I can only make a few poor guesses as to why that is a bad idea.

My main guess is those shutoff valves are not meant to be used like that, and are going to fail, or just be useless for fine control of the water.

Can someone with real plumbing knowledge inform us why this may be a particularly bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I swear that has shown up in this thread before.

/edit: Found it

DrBouvenstein posted:

Found in the meme thread:

I'll say this; at least the TV isn't mounted above it?

Orvin fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 13, 2023