Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kinda a funny post and I'm not really sure where to put it. I was stopped in rush hour traffic earlier today and idly looking outside my car under an overpass I noticed this:

This is here:

This is in Vancouver (Canada) and I can honestly say I've never seen anything that looks like that, stuff is generally kept in pretty good repair and even an aesthetic issue would be patched up somewhat quickly (I've called about a new pothole/small sinkhole on a side road and it was dealt with the next day). I was curious to get the opinion of people in the subforum who may know whether this is something concerning or not. Even if there aren't any structural elements in that footer molding or whatever you'd call it, I would expect water ingress + freezing would be a worry for the integrity of the actual column.

Is this nothing? Just the little decorative footer element failing in some way thats meaningless? Should I bother contacting the city engineers about it? It looks dirty enough that I don't have the opinion this happened overnight or anything like that.

Actually the January 2022 google street view images show that it's been like that for awhile:

Guess it's nothing. Oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

NICE!!!

I bet that was deliberate

I bid $787k on my place because it's uh like the place and I needed to pick some number anyways!

e: it's a 2br condo lol and in USD I paid $452/sq foot, that HOUSE sold for $174/sq foot urggggh

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 20, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

I was going to crack wise about how "Yeah, but then you'd be in Ferndale. Lmao" but I'm barely familiar with the area and figured I should look it up first. According to Wikipedia: "Ferndale is well known in the Detroit area for its LGBT population and progressive policies" so that's good for them at least.

Yeah I think it's mostly just living in a Vancouver suburb vs living in a Detroit suburb but still, that's like 5 years of 100% of my salary in terms of the price difference. Anyways.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

poo poo, to my understanding of Vancouver real estate you got a smoking deal if it was anything under a million.

It's a suburb not Vancouver proper (not Surry either tho). This would be about 1.2M in Vancouver.

I think I paid $50/sqft less than average for my area, which was still over 100k above asking price. Gotta go hard in the market here and yeah it's probably come down since I bought in the spring but I was feeling a lot of pressure to just get into the market before I was completely priced out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I would have preferred a new building with no windows instead of the years I've done in various lovely old falling apart dorm rooms with single pane windows that did nothing to stop the sounds of first year drunk people outside. If they could have put windows in but decided not to for aesthetics I think that's a totally different and much worse problem.

I think it's a generational thing, kids who are now of dorm age are probably thinking about mental health so much more than 15-20 years ago when I was in dorms. Especially if someone has brought it up as an issue in a building, you put a random 17 year old in that building and maybe they're more susceptible to having issues.

e: at one place it became a game to sneak into each other's dorm rooms because you could open your window and reach out and push open your neighbours window next door, then barely climb out of your window and into theirs, where you'd like turn their CRT monitor on its side and then climb back. This was on the 3rd floor of the building and I never heard of anyone falling but it wouldn't surprise me.

e2: looking at the post below, wow nvm I don't want any kind of communal space like that at all ever.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 22, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

It gets very complicated very quickly when it comes to multi tenant residential egress, but fortunately you might get to use my favorite fire code/building term: vomitorium. https://up.codes/s/stairways-connecting-to-vomitories

Thank you for this.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

monkeytennis posted:

Something about the upper windows on this building doesn’t sit quite right with me.

This is hosed up OP

Canuckistan posted:

:canada: Robertson (square for you squares) 4 lyfe :canada:

Hell yeah :canada:

I feel like on a D&D chart of drive types you'd have flathead as chaotic evil and robertson as lawful neutral, JIS as lawful good, Torx as chaotic good, etc.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 26, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

What's the house equivalent of "I drive a stick shift :smuggo:"?

No question it's the solar panel guy

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I knew a Texan that I didn’t know was a Texan until I said “Don’t mess with Texas, illiterates can be dangerous” and boy howdy he let me know then

Should have sent it as an email!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Old looking sure but not a literal toilet from that era with probably no water trap and who knows what other problems. I don't think an old toilet could keep with my modern diet of curry and espresso.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beef Of Ages posted:

Also where is the dishwasher air gap?

If your dishwasher isn't connected to the cloud you don't need to air gap it but probably doesn't hurt in case there's a Miele zero-day.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When you're drunk those probably cancel it out and you walk perfectly straight down them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Recent "fire" claim.

Bathroom part of a porch conversion into an addition many PO years ago. Current owner four years in.

It gets cold, so they like to plug in a 1200-watt heater.

Into the medicine cabinet plug.

Owner noticed a dark spot on the wall. Became concerned and safed the breaker.

Hmmm

There does not seem to be any junction box.

Enhance:

She'd been routinely pulling 1200-watts for up to an hour at a time through that. 14-ga. stranded wire/tape. As well as powering four 40-watt incandescents. Her response saved the house.

Would someone's insurance cover that btw if she didn't do anything and the house burned down?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

When I find things that are preparing to imminently explode/catch fire/kill somebody, but are not actually doing anything yet, such as

I tell the homeowner while I'm there. I explain it has to be remedied forthwith, and that I am required to report it to underwriting.

Underwriting will send them a sternly-worded letter requiring immediate remedy & proof of same under threat of policy cancellation.

Even so, at any point if it goes while the policy is still in force, it's a covered loss.

I've had this whole scenario occur, and it's no fun for the homeowner to have their house burn down/get flooded out, especially when they knew there was a problem and were working on fixing it (i.e. trying to scrape together the cash).

It's covered, sure.

Now: if there is, say, an active leak I see while I'm there (for something else) and the owner seems unconcerned, thinking that hey, this hosed-up 70's basement rumpus room could use a remodel on the company dime, I explain that failure to correct on ongoing issue that they are aware of and that actually is in the course of doing damage would result in denial of that claim at whatever future date it's reported, because I document all of this stuff, and part of the investigation of a claim is looking up prior claims, and...reading the log notes, where this would pop up.

You are required to take steps to protect your property when a known issue is occurring.

Interesting, so are you generally hired by potential home buyers or are you paid by the insurance companies and it's a clause that the owners have to bring an inspector in every 5 years etc?

I've owned for less than a year and it's a concrete high rise condo. I just found the water cutoffs today!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not just for themselves, but also their neighbors. Mormonism pushes watching out for your neighbor as much as yourself in a catastrophic event.

Mormons are weird. Practically Canadian.

People in like NYC are (even before 9/11) 10000x times more looking out for other people than Canadians. I don't know where the stereotype comes from (probably from the small towns where everyone knows everyone else). I moved in April last year and I don't know my neighbor's names.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's that old 'kind but not nice' thing up here eh bud

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Someone please replace the fan blades with more cabinet doors, thanks.

I did :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Don't they use Goof as slang for pedophiles?

I cannot remember where I heard this, probably the forums.

No I've never heard of that.

Goof is another way of calling someone an idiot/dipshit in a derogatory way. It basically means the person is someone to laugh at. It's not something you'd call a friend that slipped in a funny way, it's basically how you tell someone that they're not worth your time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would expect that the vibration also makes things lovely for glass fuses in an engine bay but I don't have any data. My subwoofer circuit is ran with a glass fuse in the engine bay and it's blown once in 5 years.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If I had that kitchen I'd finally have to sign up for whatever ubereats pass they keep trying to sell because I would refuse to enter that room

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

carticket posted:

My high school had hydrophic paper towels. When cleaning up a spill in the labs, the best you could do is really push the liquid into the floor.

My high school had the rolls of fabric in the loop that kids would wrap around their necks to see if they would pass out. It was a simpler time and those things probably produced a ton of goons.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You could mount a block heater (from a car where it gets super cold in the winter) to the back of that toilet and use a smart plug to have it turn on 30 min before you take your morning poo poo. Heaven on earth.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Determine To Make a Difference

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qjYxX0BZfQ

A naieve, kind hearted idealist tries to be a morally good landlord by buying horribly dilapidated houses in former east-germany, trying to fix them up on a shoestring budget and allowing the poorest of the poor to live there for a small amount of money. This is recorded in 2014.
It seems that he genuinely expected that eventually he would be able to make money from those houses.

Ulf (the landlord) died a couple years after the documentary was made. I can't verify exactly how and why but it seems certain that it was suicide, and at least in part because he lost 150.000 euro.

That's sad and I wonder if he wasn't in his right mind to begin with. There was a similar type of thing in China where some guy whose wife died of lung cancer or something, he went around paying people to stop smoking (the cigarette they were smoking, not the habit) and ended up destitute. Well meaning but not sustainable.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That looks like a city streep map milled into a butcher block to me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm the guy using torx framing screws who also sawzall's through wiring.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is what I was thinking. If you're walking down the sidewalk, and all of the buildings right next to you on either side are 3 stories tall, that's a very different feeling from if those buildings are 10 stories tall, even if there's 10-story buildings nearby.

I don't know enough about the topic to discourse on what the overall psychological implications are or how it affects the feel of a neighborhood, but I do notice that there's a difference.

And people wonder why rent is over 2k for a 1br in Vancouver. Please build with density in mind, we're trying to afford life, not get intimidated by a building (????).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kid sinister posted:

I'm surprised the hammer drill didn't bust off the corner when drilled that close to the edge.

It did, you can see they replaced the whole corner of that brick with mortar.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The bottom part is for truckin' and the top part is 4 fuckin'

e; heres your sign !

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hngggggh

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

Let's not overlook whatever's going on here

What isn't going on here

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

While you guys were partying looking at the swimming pool, I was studying the blade getting ready to retire easily and early after an unfortunate and legally indefensible trip on the stairs

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

from reddit:
Will my tub fall through the floor?

Was going to move the clawfoot tub here, it was on the perpendicular wall previously. The joists are in rough shape. Would a lighter freestanding tub be better or do I need the joists repaired? 2nd floor 1890 balloon framed house. Thanks!

regardless the women are going to loving love this room

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/WLcQIlO.mp4

HELP my smart thermostat is trying to sous vide my dumb rear end this is my actual life not from somewhere else I'm slowly dying

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/WLcQIlO.mp4

HELP my smart thermostat is trying to sous vide my dumb rear end this is my actual life not from somewhere else I'm slowly dying

Just an update on this in case anyone was curious: my google home app was doing this somehow. It wasn't programmed to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

peanut posted:

Did you fix it

It was a software glitch it wasn't like a setting or a scheduled temp change or anything. It eventually stopped last night and I'm just going to keep an eye on it. If it gets to 30C in this room I'll know about it because I sleep in here.

I feel like I should also add that I'm super happy with these Mysa thermostats for the baseboard heaters (electric). I hugely recommend them. This glitch was google home being fucky and not the thermostats themselves or their app.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Imagine walking through one of these ~art~ houses late at night trying to go take a poo poo or something, it would be horrifying

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That has to be Florida right? Any Americans familiar with that license plate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Orvin posted:

Did they pour a non-level garage floor? Or did the floor shift that much over time?

The driveway not being a crumbled cracked mess leads me to think it was intentional. But why wouldn’t they level the floor of a garage?

It's not just that, the entire roof line is seemingly parallel with the average sideways grade of the hosed driveway, what's going on here??