Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

i have to share my experience of tasting the worst "beer" I've ever had the misfortune of encountering.

I'm in Helsinki for a little while, meaning I have to put up with high prices and a mostly terrible selection of beer. It's heightened at venues for gigs which jack up the prices and have shitter selections than regular bars. This one I went to a few days ago was doing a special (only €5.30!) on Copen*Hagen. It's some Carlsberg product brewed by license in a Lithuanian brewery or something.

And whoah boy was it terrible. It's a clear bottle that shows the translucent white wine-color product inside. Alarm bells were ringing by this time but hey, I was at the gig, it was about to start and alcohol was needed. Jesus christ, they claim it's "extra-ordinarily refreshing. Crisp, easy and smooth. Without bitter aftertaste. Brewed with nothing but natural ingredients and cold filtered for purity. Copen*hagen is like an open invitation. Scandinavian minimalism. Being beautifully stylish and refreshingly approachable, it allows you to enjoy beer in a discerning, stylish and modern way."

Screw all of that. "Without bitter aftertaste" more like without any taste except for sewer-conditioned vomit. There was a hint of something like citrus like you might get in a Cabernet Sauvignon but without the crispness of the wine. It was not beer, it wasn't wine... I don't know what the hell it was.

I think the ingredient list is the most telling: "Wheat malt, rice, malted barley, carbon dioxide and 'hop flavour'." No mention of yeast. I'll be charitable and assume hop flavor means hop oil or extract or something. But genuinely, I think they're trying to attract a new market for this "beer" by making it appeal to women. It's a sad thing, because I know so many non-beer drinking women who have been genuinely positive surprised by dry-hopped (but not overly bitter) stylish craft beers. This isn't doing any favors for beer culture. Carlsberg have truly scraped the bottom of the barrel with this one. It took a good few glasses of water and other drinks to get the taste away from my mouth.

Avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

"Sadly" I'm Europe-based but will keep it in mind. :)

Has any one of you ever tried Copen Hagen? Because goddamn, I wasn't even aware of its existence.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Kosher man posted:

Helsinki actually has 2 down right amazing bars. http://www.onepintpub.com/?page_id=6
and http://www.pikkulintu.fi/ Olutravintola Pikkulintu. Both are good enough that Cantillon made some special one off lambics for them.

Oh I'm aware, I've been. This was, like I said in that post, desperation of a sort mixed with morbid curiosity.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

It's looking a little like we'll be taking another US sojourn this coming fall.

The past two years, we've travelled down the East Coast from NYC to Atlanta (2010) and West Coast from Seattle to San Francisco (2011) and beer has figured into the sightseeing heavily. I would quite happily do Southern California (Stone Brewing, driving through Death Valley to Vegas, etc) but the girlfriend said we should do the middle of the country instead.

We'd be flying from London so are pretty flexible with destinations. The idea would probably be to land somewhere, do a road trip loop taking in breweries and natural beauty and then fly out to save on drop-off charges.

The currently-floated idea is to explore the Colorado craft beer scene. Obviously, New Belgium and Odell would be on the list but I have to admit being kind of ignorant about the other quality brewers of the state that claims so many craft breweries.

Would this be feasible? Would it make sense to drive out of state? Somehow Wyoming and Utah don't strike me as the most crafty beer states.

I guess I'm looking for feedback on the plan. It's still up in the air so very malleable. We'd probably have a couple of weeks for this beer and national park pilgrimage.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

So there's this.

BrewDog posted:

Never Mind The Anabolics!

It is about time the greatest sporting event on the planet was not sponsored by fast food companies, sugary fizzy drinks producers or monolithic multi-national brewers. A burger, can of fizzy pop and an industrial lager are not the most ideal preparation for the steeple chase or the dressage (for human or horse).
So we decided to give the athletes something that was going to make them happier and better. A way to relax before a big event and at the same time increase the chances of winning.

This is Never Mind the Anabolics. A 6.5% India Pale Ale infused with creatine, guarana, ginseng, gingo, maca powder, matcha tea and kola nut.
Why waste time training hard? This little beauty does the hard work for you. Guaranteed to boost your sporting ability in an almost completely legal way. Most of the performance enhancing additives we infused into this ale are banned for professional athletes. But winning by any possible means is the name of the game here.

drat it, Brewdog, I liked the previous stuff but find this just genuinely pretty gimmicky. I know they're the WACKY GIMMICK BROTHERS to Dogfish Head in style and Stone in bottle labels but seriously? I mean, it could be a good beer, I wouldn't know.

(Thanks for the tips about Colorado from, what, 500 posts back by the way. They were an incredible help in shaping up this holiday-to-be)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Does anyone know what hops go into Mikkeller's American Dream? It has the most amazing hoppy nose that works beautifully in a crisp beer (it is a pale lager after all), but I'll be damned if I can place all the aromas/flavors.

This is mostly because I want to brew it myself in some way or another.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Anderron Shi posted:

My first sour beer, Lindeman's Peche Lambic. I paid $5.99 for this 12 oz bottle. It's pretty good, just really low abv (2.5).

Seriously not attempting to stir poo poo here, but I (as a European) find this approach confusing. If it tastes good, why would you amp up the alcohol? [Lindeman's Peche doesn't taste that good I admit]

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

ChickenArise posted:

Working on my palate has led me to almost 100% stop drinking soda or sweet drinks, and I now drink even lovely coffee black (usually).

This has been the case for me too. An appreciation of dry stouts and black coffee came hand in hand with a conscious investment to try and understand flavors.

Randy Mosher's Tasting Beer is the reference text used for Cicerone's Certified Beer Server, for what it's worth.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Kudosx posted:

Mazarin was fantastic, and one of the better APAs I've had recently. Unfortunately, to me, it's kind of in the same category as Evil Twin/Mikkeller... very expensive for what you get. The Mazarin was fantastic, and I could probably drink it all the time, but it cost $6/12 oz bottle... which means I will probably never buy it again, unless I feel like spending frivolously.

Being in the UK means being caught in the middle of extortionately-priced import stuff from USA on one hand, and generally extortionate Mikkeller and friends on the other. :( I really, really envy you USians your prices for six-packs.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Cracked open the Stone's Imperial Stout and this is really drat good drinking. Best American beer I've had so far and I'm lead to believe the others are as good or better. Can't wait to work through the rest.

Which shop did you end up getting your haul from? I'm a big fan of a load of the beers in your picture.

And a general question: How do you guys deal with lupulin threshold shift? After brewing some ridiculously hoppy/bitter beers, and drinking a lot of fresh American and American-inspired ones, I'm finding drinking something like Ruination a pleasant and hardly extreme experience.

While I wouldn't like to go back to spitting out Hop Stoopid for being so bitter, I'd like to have a refreshed sense of hop aroma and bitterness. If I stayed away from beer for a while, how long should I abstain to reset my palate? Or is the damage done and I am stuck searching for more and more IBU and hops per gallon?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

swickles posted:

Which one did you have?

I have had both and they are both weird, but the BrewDog version is a lot better.

Ha, a lot of us drinking it on release at BrewDog in Camden thought that the Flying Dog one was better and the BrewDog one was way sweet with crystal malts. They had us tasting blind and I knew the BrewDog one was theirs because of that heavy-handed crystal.

(They seem to have dialed that down since, Jackhammer is a brilliant beer)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

I didn't really think I liked berliner weisse, the ones in Berlin were loaded wih ruit syrup and prety much Alcopops

https://www.eebria.com/products/beer/buxton-brewery/550-far-skyline

I was so wrong, this is amazing

Far Skyline is loving banging, as is Brew By Numbers 04/01 Berliner.

edit:

I run a beer shop in London, UK. I have a good relationship with a guy who travels for business out of Raleigh, NC quite often. We trade beer. What are locally-available beers I should get him to bring me? I've managed to score Heady Topper and Prairie BOMB off him, which I thought were quite good finds, but I'm starting to flag a little on my knowledge of what to ask for. I've really loved all the Wicked Weed stuff he's brought over too.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

uh-oh, the floodgates have been opened...

any particular styles? North Carolina gets pretty decent distribution, but does this person have access to lots of beers from outside the area? for starters, you could check out seekabrew.com to see what breweries are available in general for every state (and then obviously check out ratings and styles on other sites). for NC distro in particular, Allagash, Boulevard, Cascade, Foothills, Jolly Pumpkin, NoDa (particularly Hop Drop n Roll), Olde Hickory, and the Bruery would be the first places i would look.

I mentioned the Heady as an indicator that he does get stuff from further afield. I also tried the Prairie BOMB! the other day from him. That was nice. He's brought me some Allagash stuff (eh, didn't grab me) and we can get a load of Jolly Pumpkin here in the UK. Good shout on Boulevard though!

As far as style goes, anything really. I'm trying to be omnivorous with my beers (given that it's a career) but getting fresh-as-a-daisy IPA is always nice though UK breweries are turning out stuff to rival any American ones these days. One thing we don't get nearly enough of here is the ridiculous American stouts a la BORIS/DORIS...

Spuckuk posted:

Where is this shop / What is it called? I dont live in London any more, but I know a bunch of thirsty gits who do..

I'm a bit leery about posting exact details online given anonymous hahaha but it's run as part of a young but rapidly-expanding brewery with a load of bars across the UK and some internationally. Make of that what you will. Or check my post history.

air- posted:

As far as Wicked Weed, Oblivion and Black Angel are the only sours I've found better than mediocre. I still like Wicked Weed in general, but unless something dramatic changes, I'll stick to drinking their sours if I see them at a beer festival. Not saying they are bad, it's more that I personally wouldn't trade anything extravagant for their sours.

Piggybacking on the rest of the post - I don't believe Westbrook distributes to NC (else you'd have mentioned it here I'm sure) and if the Raleigh contact knows anyone in Charlotte, it's easy to hop over to SC to pick up Westbrook Gose. I believe Cigar City gets distributed to NC as well though I'm not sure how fresh it is. Continuing Troegs chat, I have heard rumblings about them starting up distro down there.

e: Retemnav and other NC local goons can chime in I'm sure. IIRC it was Sam's in Durham where I saw some good Boulevard smokestacks sitting on their shelves (Rye On Rye, Love Child, Saison Brett) long after they were gone elsewhere so I'd target those too.

Westbrook Gose is loving fantastic and I would drink it all day err day if I could. That said, it gets sporadic UK distribution and Westbrook stuff other than that is a bit stretched as far as I understand given Evil Twin brewing there like every day. I've heard good things about Nugget Nectar (and have drunk a homebrew clone that was enjoyable) so might ask for something like that.

Retemnav posted:

RE: Raleigh - if you want really local stuff, ask for some growlers/howlers of Fullsteam, Raleigh Brewing and Trophy. Or just a bunch of bombers of Fullsteam's Summer Basil, the best summer beer.

Seasonal/rarer/really good NC stuff: Olde Hickory Irish Walker, Imperial Stout & Event Horizon, Foothill's Sexual Chocolate (Reg & BBA) & Jade IPA, NoDa CocoLoco & Hop Drop n' Roll, Green Man Brewing Snozzberry, Fullsteam First Frost, Lonerider Pistols at Dawn.

Otherwise, I think all the really good companies that distribute to NC were covered by others. And definitely get some Boulevard Smokestack stuff, they've hung around NC way longer than they should.

Thanks a lot for the names, this was exactly what I was looking for - a list of things I can drop the next time he's over and see if he can source any of them.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

air- posted:

Prairie/Evil Twin made Bible Belt as well, so I'd try and get that if you liked Bomb. It's distributed under Prairie, though I'm not sure if Evil Twin areas (but not Prairie) had it distributed.

Just heard we've got a few cases of that with our address on it, so I'll grab one then :)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

not true at all, i'm afraid.

in that case, add Great Divide's Yeti (and the variants- oak-aged, espresso, etc) to the list. Avery makes some big gently caress off stouts like Mephistopheles and Uncle Jacob's, and Clown Shoes, while kinda crappy on the whole, has some good stouts in Blaecorn Unidragon and Hammer of the Holy (which used to be Vampire Slayer ((right?))). i don't drink much from Cisco, either, but their Lady of the Woods is really good if you like sour stuff (in which case get some Cascade already).

There's a bottle of Blaecorn in my fridge, and I've still got stock of Yeti. :) Great minds, eh.

Avery would be cool, I'll see if he's able to get anything from them. Do Cascade actually distribute well? I've asked my guy for Crooked Stave stuff and so far nothing.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

a worthy uhh posted:

Evil Twin makes half good, half mediocre beer that's super overpriced, and Jeppe is an rear end in a top hat. Don't buy Evil Twin.

Eh, Jeppe over Mikkel imo

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Ubik posted:

In Lagunitas news, the first quart bottles of Lagunitas Sucks rolled off the line in Chicago today. :q: I'm so happy we got to brew this one.
Oh man, we in the UK are real happy about the Chicago brewery. Overnight to NYC, then onto a ship, and to us. Mmm. I was drinking Sucks with the rep the other week and can't wait for it even fresher.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Hi guys,

I realize I could ask this in the travel and tourism bit, but I'm travelling for the beer.

I have a month off in November, and am going to take a trip, first to see family and friends, and then for the beer. I'll be stopping in Prague, where I haven't been for something like 13 years, and then Brussels, where I last was a few years ago but on a conference so didn't have as much of a chance to explore as I'd have liked to.

What are the do-not-miss beer destinations in either? I'm obviously aware of Cantillon and Moeder Lambic in Brussels, and pilsner from the wood in Prague, but am looking for something a bit more under the surface.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

toenut posted:

Jeff Alworth recently made a trip to Prague, and these are his suggestions http://allaboutbeer.com/prague-beer/

bartolimu posted:

That's a very decent start and mentioned two places I hadn't heard of (and I've been to Prague half a dozen times). U Fleků is an absolute must - the beer is unique and worth tolerating the touristy surroundings. I'll recommend a couple of other places that are Old School and well worth extended visits.

1. Restaurace U Pinkasů - It's a couple of turns off the north end of Wenceslas Square (anchor of the tourist center of Prague), but it's a total locals' spot. They claim to be the first place ever to tap Pilsner Urquell; whether that's true or not is an exercise for the historians, all I know is it really does taste better than anywhere else. Go through the restaurant and sit in the garden area out back. It sits up against a church, and during services you can hear the organ playing faintly. It makes a nice background for hours-long sitting and drinking. The food is fantastic as well - the house specialty "pork knee" (actually the ankle joint, but meaty as hell) is served with mustard, freshly grated horseradish, pickled onions, three kinds of cooked cabbage, and a few other condiments. It takes a while to get through but it's great fortification and my favorite thing on the menu. They also do an exemplary roasted duck with dumplings and pretty much everything else they fix is great. Best liver dumpling soup in the city.

2. U Zlatého tygra - "The Golden tiger," and for some reason they never capitalize tiger. This place is hard as hell to find without GPS, and the one time I managed to it was completely full. It comes highly recommended by locals as a slightly upscale working man's bar with good food and some decent beer. Like I said, my suggestions run to the old school - you'll sit at a large table with people you probably don't know and, if you stay long enough, leave with a bunch of great new friends. The same thing happens at U Fleků, but here there's a much lower chance of running into other tourists. The food is mostly small plates - the goulash comes highly recommended, as does anything pork.

The main thing for getting good, affordable beer in Prague is to avoid drinking in touristy areas. lovely old beer and beers "adjusted" to tourists' tastes go for exorbitant rates ($12+ per 500ml vs. $3 or so at locals' places), and you'll be treated like tourist cattle. Get off the main roads, find a busy pub, and settle in for a while. It'll be much more enjoyable.

Thaaaanks, this is great. I've actually been to tu U Zlateho tygra (I think) but that was years ago. It's exactly what I'm after though, a place where a solo traveller can strike up conversations with random people over great beer.

And holy poo poo, the prices have gone up. I remember when it was like Ł0.25 for a beer. Argh, will have to budget accordingly.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Blame the stag parties for bumping the prices up, but Wenceslas square and the immediate surrounds have always been hugely overpriced relative to the rest of the city.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...be2f79f7fcb90a0

I'd highly recommend this for a good place to eat and drink. I go there every time I'm in Prague, and I've been eight times now.

Nobody in there will speak english.

They will look at you funny.

They will sell you good, cheap czech beer.

They will feed you terrifyingly large, hearty meals.

Yesssss. Dumplings and polotmavy ahoy.

Suggestions for Brussels places in a similar vein, anyone? I'm aiming to come back to the UK several pounds heavier and with a suitcase full of weird beer.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

http://t.co/8v5264trP3
Brewing legend Prof Narziß slams German beer

quote:

Professor Ludwig Narziss wrote the book on German brewing. Literally. His two-volume work (with Werner Back) titled simply Die Bierbrauerei is one of the standard textbooks for brewers, so much so that it is referred to just as “der Narziss”. He was already teaching brewing science at Weihenstephan in 1964.

So when the veteran professor, now 89, got up to sharply criticise the decline in standards in German brewing last week, it should have been a big deal. As news site Biertäglich.eu reports, Narziss spoke at a seminar run by the Austrian Brewers' Federation at the end of October. His remarks were about the development of flavour in German beer in the last fifty years. And when you have been around as long as Narziss has, you can demonstrate long-term change with data. 

Before 1993 the German beer duty regime was based on strength categories:Schankbier, Vollbier, Starkbier, etc., with a flat rate within each category. The move to taxation strictly on the basis of alcoholic strength brought with it the possibility of shaving off a couple of points to save some tax. Narziss showed that this was precisely what had happened in recent years, with a significant drop in the original gravities of beers. Even half a degree Plato has a discernible effect on the beer’s flavour, said the Professor.

Boiling and fermentation too have been compromised for the sake of efficiency; the decoction mash of the past largely abolished, and in some cases the wort is not even boiled vigorously enough to drive off the DMS which gives beer that sweetcorn aroma.

A slight acidification of the mash before brewing has many advantages and has therefore become widespread practice, said Narziss, but this has also meant convergence of flavour. The development over the last 50 years has been toward ever more similar, more and more neutral beers.

Distinctive house flavours from esters, higher alcohols, resins have been reduced, and the use of high-alpha bittering hops and hop extracts have robbed beer of the complexity that the other components of hops give it.

Narziss finished by challenging the assembled brewmasters to return to beers of character, with a proper three-addition hopping schedule; to experiment with different hopping techniques and new varieties.

Narziss’ critique is in line with what other observers have been saying for several years. This 2012 documentary has not been the only TV programme on the subject. A couple of weeks ago the Süddeutsche Zeitung magazine too ran an article on the same topic, focussing on the closure of the once proud Iserlohner brewery.

All have come to the conclusion that beer is being dumbed down to compete at the unsustainably low prices forced on the brewers by supermarkets. When the brewers formed an illegal cartel in defence, they were pilloried in the press. Three out of every four crates of beer are now sold at a promotional price as low as eight euro.

Eight euro for a crate of 20 half-litre bottles: it may sound like a paradise for beer drinkers, but the consequence of such low prices is that the beer itself must be bastardised – and there are, as Professor Narziss points out, plenty of ways to do that within the constraints of the Reinheitsgebot. 

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I'm going to do a bit of a road trip in the states in a month or so. It'll include Colorado, and the other half is more than happy to accompany me for some great beers.

Which breweries/brewpubs are not to miss? I haven't got an itinerary yet so can plan accordingly. Or alternatively, which bars have awesome beers and good service, not a ratebeer-tickers type atmosphere?

Also, given I am in Europe and work for a brewery, should I bring some bottles? Is that a thing that people do? When I worked in bars, I would massively appreciate people doing something like that but I know we might be more lax about these things...

But nobody is going to turn their nose up at some cantillon or silly BrewDog, right?

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 19, 2015

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

goons made a beer-related wiki that includes a regional breakdown of Colorado: legionofawesomebeer.com

and, no, nobody is going to turn their nose up at lambic, but unless you're bringing some serious BrewDog rarities, i wouldn't bother- we get a fair amount of their stuff in the US. if someone came into my bar with cool bottles i would hook them up large, but opening a bottle that wasn't purchased at the bar is usually an ABC violation and will generally be frowned upon. where else are you going?

Thanks for the link!

I understand that opening unbought bottles would be a violation and wouldn't expect anyone to do so at my behest. In terms of BrewDog I was thinking of early anniversary stouts (Dog A/B) and depending on if anything cool seasonal comes out in the next few weeks maybe something like that - it doesn't usually get out of the country.

That said, any other UK breweries that people would like to see in the states? Something you may have heard of but aren't able to get? I get asked the question all the time the other direction.

I'll be seeing friends in San Francisco as well. It's still entirely open how we cover SF-Denver, whether we drive or fly (but we like road trips so would like to do some driving).

I've driven down the west coast so am familiar with the beer there (and looking forward to it and In-n-Out)

danbanana posted:

Out of curiosity... what brewery?

Like funkybottoms said, it's going to depend on the bar but a majority aren't going to be happy you're bringing in outside booze. Cantillon might impress but you do run the risk of pissing off the place.

I think it might be clear from my posts above. It's not Cantillon.

The reason I asked is we get very positively surprised if someone walks in and goes "hey I heard you guys were a cool place, here's something from where I'm from, maybe you'd like to try it with your colleagues".

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

When was the last time you were in SF? If it's been longer than a few years, you'll definitely have new stuff to try. I'm sure your SF friends know what's up though :)

It's been a couple of years, yeah. I'd be interested in hearing what you recommend though, as no doubt some/a lot of my time there will be spent catching up and not necessarily nerding about beer.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Eejit posted:

Bring bottles to breweries, they will be appreciated and you will instantly make friends. Do not bring bottles to bars unless you already know someone there.

As for Colorado, where are you going to be? All over or just a specific place?

Cheers dude.

Aim is to use Denver as a base, but do various jaunts. National Parks stuff, mostly.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Eejit posted:

Okay then, tops for Denver are Crooked Stave, Denver Beer Co, Great Divide, River North, and Epic. Other good spots but not must-visits are Black Shirt, Our Mutual Friend, TRVE, Renegade, Strange, Beryl's, and Diebolt. Avoid: Breckenridge, Wynkoop, and big chain places like Rock Bottom, Yard House, Gordon Biersch, etc.

If you head into the mountains, there are some decent quality breweries up there, but they're so spread out that I won't bother listing unless you ask about a certain area.

Thank you for this. I may well come back to the thread to ask about specific areas once my plans have clarified a little bit (currently they are: get a car in Denver airport. See what happens.)

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

Cellarmaker and The Rare Barrel are both only 2 to 3 years old and are both awesome. Those two also don't get a ton of distribution so visiting the brewery is recommended for those. as far as breweries just to be on the lookout for on draft at random bars: Faction, Fieldwork, Altamont, Berryessa, and maybe Knee Deep.

Cellarmaker were at CBC this year, weren't they? That's a pretty quick rise. Also hell yes Rare Barrel - I love specialist breweries like that. Might have to go by myself rather than drag friends but I'm looking forward to it!

Also excited about going to the wonderful dive that is Toronado again.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

There were a few cases of Knee Deep that made their (possibly grey market) way into the UK last year. They sure were... big C hop big. Possibly more exciting when fresher, but honestly can't everyone brew a massive CCCC IPA these days?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Maybe they liquored back with it?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

the yellow dart posted:

So I went to Greece, and literally the only beer worth drinking was called Crazy Donkey from the Santorini Brewing Company, Greece's first (and maybe only) IPA. It cost 20 euros for a 750ml bottle and was kind of good. Greece is pretty freaking awesome but just drink wine or be ok with drinking more Alpha and Mythos than you thought your palate could take.

For reference, the other beers we had from Santorini Brewing Company were Not Good. At all.

I've seen it for cheaper than that but I guess YMMV. Anyway, Santorini Brewing Company is the Greek arm of a ramshackle brewery called Rocky Head in London. The guy divides his time between London and Santorini, and does a wine distro business on the side so ... yeah.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I had an American customer mention yesterday that he'd buy a lot more beer if it wasn't so expensive in the UK. That led me to thinking, what (aside from the obvious things, like US beer incurring transport and customs costs here in the UK, and UK craft breweries being tiny compared to US ones) makes US craft beer so cheap? As in, what's the taxation regime like on a federal/state level? Is the price of a Lagunitas six-pack the same the country over where they have distribution, or does it vary? I know sales tax gets added on to the sticker price but I'm talking before that.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

maybe it's from last year? that's the sort of beer that gathers plenty of dust where i live. of course, we're getting pumpkin beers already, so...

did you guys see that Kosher man is brewing at HF? i guess he's been back for a few months, but it just clicked the other day. i wonder if he felt Siren was good enough to stand on its own or if he just wanted to get back to the States...

Kosher Man? Is that what people are calling Ryan? Why's that? :)

I have a feeling he wanted to return to the States for a while now. He'll be staying on with SIren as a recipe consultant or similar, leaving trusted people to brew for him.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Oh man that makes sense that Ryan was a goon. I wish I'd followed the thread closer....!

I know what you mean about industry folk not wanting to read about WHALEZ etc. They're (we're) working day to day (not in production in my case) just to have beer for people. It seems extraordinarily competitive/cut-throat when viewed through the beer geek's eyes.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

guess you know him personally, eh? and do you work at Siren? i work in a taproom and also inside the brewery doing grunt work (yes, it's all grunt work). there are also a Lagunitas brewer and Sierra Nevada packaging guy (who is moving/moved to a new brewery, right?) who post here some and a design/sales guy from Cigar City who pretty much disappeared after the Hunahpu's Day Disaster 2014 (never forget). are there other industry goons here? oh, i guess there's the brewer from Adventure, but i think we're too serious over here in GWS...

The UK beer scene is really small, so while we don't hang out I've met him and shot the poo poo with him on multiple occasions at industry events etc.

And no, I don't work for siren, I'm doing stuff for Brewdog in London at the moment.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

That's me, been at Wicked Weed for about 6 weeks now. We bottled our first clean beer that no one will ever see today and it went pretty well so life is good. Starting sellable clean production on Tuesday, hope everyone that wants clean Wicked Weed beers likes IPAs cause we're starting with 3 different ones haha.

I'm sure I know you from the homebrew thread, that's awesome you're at WW. I've managed to have a few of your beers, they're wonderful. I only just heard about a new brewery you guys opened - is that clean only?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

dphi posted:

What was the consensus on oak aged St. Bernardus again? Worth $28? I'm tempted every time I see it but I've been trying to cut back on $30 bottles. Really wish it had been a smaller format.

Is that the magnum? I think it's pretty nice personally, but not too far above regular abt 12. That said, last time I drank it I got a good chunk of barrel in my glass. Chewy!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

air- posted:

Aw I'm kinda bummed about how berliner weisse isn't really a thing in Berlin at all, though unfiltered pilsners in Prague will make up for that when I hop a train over there on Sunday.

What else is a must do in Czech Republic? Definitely gonna do a day trip to Pilsen for the Pilsner Urquell tour. I'll have 7 nights to explore!

You really should take a look at the ossuary in Kutna Hora. It's a pretty :rock: place.

Unfiltered pilsner is the tits. Go to u Zlateho Tygra, get there early, get to know the locals. And by early I mean 2-3pm.

Is your euro tour taking you to the UK at all?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

I had a homebrew brett berliner that reminded me of bile :downs:

I get that with a lot of Jolly Pumpkin beers. Their souring just seems biley to me.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

As long as you have some brewing experience, this is great: http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Sour-Beers-Michael-Tonsmeire/dp/1938469119

That said, sour beer brewing is hard to get right, so make sure you have the chops beforehand. I mean, berliner weisse is easy-ish, but hard to nail.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

Also hi, I still exist kinda (I used to be Ubik but I got better)

Are you still at Lag in Chicago?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

Sure am! I work in filtration now.

Have had a couple of quart bottles of Sucks carted over to me to London by friendly folks. Jebus, what an easy-to-drink beer.

We get it on draft too occasionally, but they intentionally keep the volumes quite low to keep it fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

danbanana posted:

I had Agamemnon at Beer Temple's anniversary party this year. It was good but definitely not $20/12oz good. I find a lot of European imperial stouts come off as overly bitter, and this had that aspect as well.

There definitely is a trend in European craft beer to make super dry styles. I'd argue that a specific style of IPA is emerging, where brewers, knowing that US-style IPAs were sweet and weird by the time they reached to Europe, would brew the driest, crispest IPAs they could to emulate fresh US-made IPAs. Ditch the crystal malt, dry it out with sugar additions even in sub-7% beers, etc.

Stouts are from that same tree. While I prefer the insanely sweet, chocolatey thing you get in US impy stouts (mmm, BORIS the Crusher) for an after dinner thing, that dry, raw cacao nib bitterness is definitely a thing in the stuff we make over here.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Mikkeller/Evil Twin

Yep, I find both are hugely expensive, especially considering that I can get amazing To Ol beers, also brewed at de Proef, for half to two-thirds of the price Mikkel charges for his stuff.