Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So in the end, at least according to the (rather poignant) points made by this fellow, it's basically a game of pick your poison.

Either:
  1. Cut the crap and grow the gently caress up as a person or...
  2. Keep on trucking along to the same rhyme and face a life of failure.

Anno just wanted to spread some tough love... that's loving beautiful. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, I'll take what I can get. I imagine that, if any, the final battle should be Shinji, after finally coming to grips with the fact that he hosed up BADLY, that he lost everything he held dear and that he only has himself to blame, how he rides into the battle with a combination of :qq: and :black101: plastered on his face, stepping out of his :airquote: audience surrogate :airquote: role once and for all, because he has grown tired of being the reflection of a boring-rear end existence.

Dang, insomnia and an internet video can make you write some crazy-rear end stuff.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well that was an Evangelion movie, alright. I just...

Didn't it felt kinda wanting? Like, I know a shitload of bombs were dropped on us as an audience, and that people are in deep poo poo, but it felt more like a slightly grimmer rehash than a proper continuation of 2.0 and-- I was kinda bored.

gently caress, there's something wrong with me, isn't it? :suicide:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to watch the movie again tonight because now I'm lucid and because the girlfriend is coming over in two days and I'm sure she's gonna subject me to a Battlestar Galactica marathon to "get me out of this funk". Hopefully I'll gain some more insight into what is scratching our wild theories' itch so badly.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Devil Tesla posted:

Why would you watch BSG in order to get happy. Try like Gravity Falls or something.

My girlfriend likes that show; I'm decidedly neutral on it. :thejoke:

About rewatching 3.33. I finally got it and I felt so realized when I could maintain what I said earlier: It's not so much "gently caress you, Shinji" (though there's a little of that) anymore, it's "Shinji, you're a massive, monumental fuckup and yes, it's your fault, though only partially. But now you have a second chance. DON'T. gently caress IT. UP.

That or Anno will do whatever the gently caress he feels like with 4.0. I'm still holding out some hope. :unsmith:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KoB posted:

Just got around to watching 3.33. I feel like if they just sat Shinji down and explained to him the whole situation none of that would have happened. Everyone else was somehow MORE childish that Shinji.
"Guys, really, whats going on I have no idea."
"Shut up you brat god just don't do anything. I cant believe what you did ugh."
"What did I do? What happened?"
"God, shut up."

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Yeah even though Shinji was screwing up even further I just couldn't help but to root for him at the end because everyone at Wille was just so adamant on being an rear end in a top hat towards him.

Not denying the childishness or anything but, well... how do you break it to somebody that "Oh, well: You basically committed genocide for the sake of a defective clone, and it didn't even work! But it's not all your fault sort-of. I mean, yeah the world is an even bigger shithole thanks to you, but it's not like you knew what you were doing. So yeah, those are the reasons why everyone's feeling a little bit raw about you" but in an amiable manner?

It's just really really dang hard to get to be that guy/girl.

Also, is Miyuki Sawashiro in every anime I've watched/been watching for the last 6 months? I'm okay with that, though. I dig her voice. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to read the whole thread after my last post and whatnot. Holy poo poo, you guys. I'm pretty sure that half of what makes Evangelion interesting are discussions of this ilk.

Also, I'm pretty much convinced that giving NGE as a whole a rewatch/reread is a thing that I need to do. It's been god knows how many years. Probably since the first Rebuild was made available.

yellowjournalism posted:

POR FAVOR

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This was the one post that convinced me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I still have this theory that Anno is more like that teacher that you get on remedial classes / make-up tests in that he's TRYING to get enough knowledge into your goddamn brain so you can finally pass the test and remember the subjects that are important because if you're gonna let something so dismal to stop you from moving on, you might as well give up.

But he still sees potential. He still sees a spark. That's why he keeps on trying. To see if we eventually get it right because, you know... 18 years. A lesser man would have quit already. Not this loving guy.

And I stand by my statement of a few weeks ago: Half the charm for EVA is all the hows and whys and how we have to fill in the blanks with the information we've been given.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Every time I listen to a Gojira song that has that weird vertical pick slide/scrape, I imagine it's the sound the souls inside the EVA's make when trying to get out.

Random musings aside, has it been confirmed when are we getting a dubbed BD/DVD of 3.33?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Memes. Memes never change.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda liked it. :blush:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Mike Pence would 1000% sit on the SEELE counsel if he was asked
Isn't Pence unable to go anywhere without his... wife? mom? One or the other.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't the whole thing from a few years ago about Gainax getting sued by Anno meaning that he/Khara effectively do hold the license? I'm kind of unclear on the whole thing, but if I remember right, wasn't it something about royalties that had gone unpaid?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have a bit of a complicated relationship with Evangelion. Right now, though? I'm honestly happy as heck that the OG series will get to have a new shot in the limelight. It's a series with a lot of merits and that, despite everything, has aged remarkably well. One thing I'm curious about, though (and apologies if the :speculate: angle is not appreciated): Is Netflix planning to get the Rebuild Movies as well? They musta paid out the wazoo license-wise, so it honestly kinda feels like a preamble to them getting the Rebuild movies. Of course, that could be its own behemoth to tackle, but again, I'm sincerely curious.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is from back in July and I'm unsure if I'm missing any new news on it, but apparently (I know, lol ANN et al), the 4th movie is coming out on 2020. Maybe as a 25th Anniversary of sorts? :shrug:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

buglord posted:

Should I try to get my baby boomer catholic coworker to watch this since it has crosses in it
Yes!

e: To elaborate; this might seem like a joke answer, but NGE feels like it'd make for a strong showing for people who normally don't watch anime.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 15, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

what possible loving reason would you have to recommend a show to someone you know irl that you also know is going to hate it
For kicks. Maybe also shits 'n giggles.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fair enough. I was guessing that the question was taking into account the anticipation of Netflix putting the series available in April, which would allow for the potential new watcher to binge it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
HOLY poo poo :five:

There's just so much beauty in this world, y'know?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

If it's anything like Bottle, he'll get 2 posts before the threat of a Mod Challenge drives 'em off. Lol
I'm open to suggestions, btw.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Shinji, at the end of 2.0: "I don't care what happens to the world, I'm going to save Rei!" As the world breaks apart around him and Ritsuko says it's the end of the world.
Shinji, during 3.0: "I don't care what happens, I'm going to fix things!" Almost ends the world - again.

Okay, so, I feel like if you have that Masters you should maybe be able to see the purpose of films to be more than, like, 'Does this excite me personally?'
Shinji Ikari has been called to make a difference.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing the last previous pages have made me wonder is if the Rebuilds could, at some point down the road, get a treatment similar to Gundam Unicorn/Gundam Origin (started as movies/OVA's, before getting "remade" for TV).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it's one of the moments where Misato slips really hard. Like, it's still a "What the hell, Major?!" moment, but given everything that has transpired when that moment happens, you almost pity Misato because, honestly, she's almost as traumatized as Shinji.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Origami Dali posted:

If eva feels like they were making it up as they went along, it's because they probably were.
Wasn't like a chunk of the second half downright changed because, when Eva was in its final stages of production, the Tokyo Metro Sarin Attacks happened? I also recall an AniTuber (I think it was Eyepatch Wolf?) mentioning that the problem with deadlines and such wasn't so much budget issues as it were the fact that Anno often literally thought of storylines at the last moment and thus production basically had to roll with them punches.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mononoke Hime can indeed get brutal but it also has an undeniable beauty even amidst all the brutality. Also, if you like stuff in different media that was heavily influenced by the works of Studio Ghibli (and Mononoke Hime in particular), check out Kodama by Alcest: probably one of my favorite albums from 2016 and a record so strong, it's like you're experiencing the movie itself via an auditive journey.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anno can't hurt you anymore.
I read his blog. Truly a healing author.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

If I understood the end title card correctly, the movie's coming out next June?
Pretty much. I would say "I can't wait!", but it's almost a year away and frankly, nobody knows what's going to happen in that period of time.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wunder is Pen Pen.

Third Impact made him huge.
No! Not my favorite, cuddly-wuddly, genetically engineered fiordland penguin buddy! :negative:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just baffled that it could've gotten any traction after, what, 2 years?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's a good post, kaworu. For realsies, thanks for sharing it. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OK, let's rewatch this again. It's been quite a while, if I have to admit.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OK, I think I see what they meant about the subs/translation/localization being garbage. Also they took off "Fly me to the Moon". I know it's been posted in this thread before, but how do you mess that up?

Screw this, I'm seeing this raw. No subtitles.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The only "bad Eva clone" type show that I feel can kinda still stand some of the test of time is RahXephon, which I'm probably rewatching after I'm done rewatching this, because it's also been a while (probably not as long as EVA, though!)

Just finished episode 2. I remember reading in a trivia website that the "Red Bar" version of Iori Yagami's Eight Maidens from KOF 96 to KOF 98 was based in Unit-01 going apeshit, and I think I can kinda see why. Forgot about the nightmarish screams. :stonk:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Well Manicured Man posted:

just reverse the arrow and numbers to get shinji's transition timeline
That kinda reminds me of that one Gintama episode/chapter (I think it was a Ginpachi sensei short?) where Sorachi basically explains how, basically, you learn to draw Shinpachi, you learn to draw everyone else.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

noether posted:

give antifa their own eva
:getin:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I thought maybe they used his sister? The beginning of the episode has him going to visit her while she recovers from her Angel-attack related injuries, and I don't remember if they ever mention her again.

Wild guess there, though.
Isn't Touji's sister being hale and whole (or at least not hospitalized) part of the differences between TV & EoE Eva and the Rebuild Eva?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

The curse of Eva.
You leave the curse of eva out of this, Luigi! :colbert:

That's strictly for arrested development and gloom + some occasional doom.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vinylshadow posted:

Boy, I love the multi-minute derail into talking about the themes of Utena during this Evangelion podcast...

jfc
Eh, Utena is good, so derails about it would not be completely unwelcome, and even interesting; especially when bringing Eva <--> RGU comparisons, doubly so given how both Anno and Ikuhara are buddies (and that Kaworu and his role within the show might have been rumored to be partly inspired by a conversation Anno had with Ikuhara during a Sailor Moon production retreat?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Invalid Validation posted:

Oh so like Anno himself.
I dunno, Blue Blazes paints a very fun picture of Anno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tmkm7KB8KU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eq5y-Dyg5k