Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I've just now found out about Gundam Thunderbolt and please tell me somewhere else in this thread someone acknowledged

quote:

Daisuke Hirakawa as Cornelius Caca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is Gundam Thunderbolt a good show/a good show for people with no knowledge of Gundam?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

They have at least 3 child soldiers with severe relational and emotional issues in the 'Best boyfriend' category.

It's "Would gently caress" vs. "Would have a stable, loving and caring emotional relationship with"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

She's Mexican, now, which is cool.

Unless you're Canadian :canada:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How is Gundam Thunderbolt for someone that hasn't seen Gundam, goons

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Thunderbolt was very good, thanks goons

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Anew died and that kinda sucked

Anew seemed like a really really forced addition and she always stands out as particularly weird to me in that show

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want them to air Gundam Thunderbolt as a movie

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Domon's English voice actor, Mark Gatha, just passed away at the age of 42. :(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

They're also the side whose goal is to make the opponent surrender, then not murder them. Murdering them is considered a consolation prize.

Meanwhile, Zeon considers murdering Feddies more important than survival.

But it's a matter of framing, I think. We're shown Daryl as a relatable guy, who likes a girl, has friends, and watches life poo poo on him from a great height. He's a killer, but he mostly snipes. No engagement with the violence, no acknowledgement that he's leaving grieving families. Meanwhile, Io's a jazz addicted murder junkie who taunts people as they die, and the Feds send out child soldiers (Which makes no loving sense, and I will complain about this at every opportunity, but, side note.) The Zeon captain is a steely father to his men. The Feddie captain is a drug addled wreck. Even though the Federation is, despite a lot of black marks on their record, much better than Zeon, the show tries to present things as morally even.

Odd choice.

"This suit is so much better than those arms and legs I lost!" is not the sign of someone in a healthy state of mind. Io plays his jazz because it's the only way for him to deal with the poo poo he's presented with each and every time he steps out on the battlefield. When he becomes a PoW the Zeon guards holding him pay him back in spades for it, and what they do is not depicted as excusable or justified.

They have about 75 minutes to drive home how loving awful war is, I'm glad they didn't spend their time going "The Feds have child soldiers, now let's go see Zeon's child soldiers!" and trying to show each side had the exact same poo poo going on, letting the viewer infer just how awful things are for both sides from what we're shown. I'm not sure how you came out of seeing Thunderbolt concluding Zeon was shown to be great while the Feddies are bastards, the way the Zeon lab techies use Daryl as a guinea pig and saw off the rest of his limbs just so they can get some results for their new suit is pretty brutal.

It's also worth mentioning Thunderbolt doesn't take place in the same universe the shows did, it is somewhat different.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 17, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I would enjoy seeing a full adaptation of Origin.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Gundam's 40th is in like 2 years, right?

I'd be excited if they announced a remake of the first series for it.

It would have really good odds of being better than the LoGH remake at least

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think I like the second G Gundam opening the most, it's pretty much perfect for the show G Gundam is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How come Gundam Virtue gets no love? That chunky thing is beautiful

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

While we're on the subject of names, did Tomino follow any logic in naming mobile suits, aside from Gundam and Zaku? Like, how did he come up with Gelgoog, or The O?

I've heard The O is short for "The Oberon" but I don't know where that comes from.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Canada's only animes: Amuro Ray and Ryoko Asakura

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

there's an anime about a cafe with a bear who serves tea, and the bear is explicitly said to be a canadian bear

isnt amuro mexican now. or half mexican half japanese

I don't care what that cheeky fucker Yas says he's not taking this from us

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't really find the designs from 00 very appealing. The exia and the tieren are alright but the others (especially the non Gundam suits) look so basic and barebones that they have no character whatsoever. I may say that okawara was being lazy as gently caress with his grunt suits in SEED being straight lifts from UC, but at least he was copying designs with some actual visual flair.

Virtue is one of the best suits of all time

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

No it wasn't. Tomino had just come off Zambot goddamn 3. Gundam was happy fun times in comparison.

Tomino doesn't come vacuum sealed

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

What does this even mean?

It means that the original Gundam was fairly dark relative to a lot of it's contemporaries and comparing it only to the work Tomino finished preceding it is a little misleading

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 12, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love how thunderbolt undercuts the "can't we get along" speech between Cornelius and Carla by having some less charitable GM jockey use the opportunity to vaporize the zeon suicide pact

The jazz that plays right as Carla's pulled out into space was the cherry on top, Thunderbolt's soundtrack is amazing

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The fourth opening was so incredibly out of place in the context of 00

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Roux is supposed to be like 17 too, which makes her hooking up with Judau a little weird.

By the time they get to Jupiter the age difference will be nothing

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Game should be about dating Gundams, building girls.

You joke but they’ve got at least one model out now and another on the way afaik, give it a couple of years

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

What am I not getting here?

Those are paid online cards and that person is desperately rolling a gacha

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tomino thinks anime needs to stop teasing romantic poo poo and just get on with gettin on: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...ntimacy/.152531

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Hasn't he said like, the exact opposite in regards to sexual content in anime before?

Like I seem to recall him complaining about it in an interview about Wings of Rean or something.

I think the idea in those interviews tie in neatly here: the idea behind a lot of those series is will-they-won’t-they teasing combined with providing a sexless cipher for the viewer to visualize themselves as and relentless, ceaseless fanservice. Those are the things he seems to be taking umbrage with.

And I’m super sick of it too so hell, I agree!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

00 kind of went there with Anew and Lockon pt. 2, in terms of less ambiguous "definitely either about to bone/have boned recently".

Anew was super transparently there specifically for that and also to die, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah the only decent gundam parent i can think of who had any screentime and didnt die at the start is like, cagalli's dad

Louise Halevy's mom was pretty good if I remember correctly

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

I think it's probably a mistake to assume much anything in Tem Ray's life changed after the oxygen deprivation. Maybe his engineering ability is a little rougher, but he was just as lovely a dad before he was spaced as he was after.

Yeah I think the real world existence of parents with dementia or alzheimers and the personality changes they undergo have something to say about what a guy's brain and mannerisms might be like after severe permanent brain damage

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

Tem, does at least have the point of being the most comedically wrong person in all of Gundam for designing the Gundam to end the war so children his son's age won't have to fight in it. (Cut forward to Victory Gundam and the Federation general talking about the Federation's proud history of child soldiers.)

I mean, in fairness, it did essentially end the war.

It was just that the corrupt governing body decided they wanted to cause a whole bunch more wars :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The new secret F91 Mobile Suit is just a Ball projecting this image scaled up 30000x off of Minovsky particles in space

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Zeon dropped a colony to try and take out the Fed HQ, it got redirected to Australia.

Char dropped a colony to try and kickstart a new ice age to get all of humanity off the Earth.

Haman also really, really didn't like Ireland

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

https://twitter.com/chasewrites/status/1522193692920057856?s=20&t=mojl8HHY4_8xXJv2Iw9SJg

So, which suit is the quintessential Jonko Unit? I'm leaning towards Doan's Off-Model Zaku.

Virtue is pretty jonko, my favorite jonko

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Some of it's cultural, but in general Bright is shown to be a halfway decent dad, despite his absences. Hathaway seems to respect him, Bright breaks down sobbing when he thinks of the family time he missed, and the Japanese show shorthand for "this man is always at work... Because he needs to provide for his family!" seems to be in play. Even ignoring the curve, he's at least getting a C. Maybe a C minus.

Bright is also doing his level best at stopping his family having to live under space fascists, we add extra credit for that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you won’t fight space hitler for your kid you’re a bad parent

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Absolutely not

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Should've put out Zeta Gundam, at least that one still looks nice

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tickles my fancy just a little bit that he’s promoing a special red burger and a special 3x burger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
We are probably only a few years out from a Gundam Gacha envisioning the suits as cute robot girls