Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I like how Genos does the stereotypical cool rear end anime running pose and Saitama is just jogging along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The afro wig in the background of Dr. Kuseno's lab :allears:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Gyges posted:

I still think Licenseless Rider is the better translation.

Not a wig, that's Genos' hair from after he got trashed by Asura Rhino.

He doesn't have natural hair anymore so it's all a wig :colbert:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Mumen is similar to Kamen; Mumen Rider is an homage to Kamen Rider, a tokusatsu hero who fights for justice and ride a sweet motorcycle. The joke is not only the name but also that because he is licenseless, he rides a bicycle instead of a motorcycle.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I still cheer every time he punches the Star Guy

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Licenseless Rider reads the best but would be super awkward to pronounce out loud.

Common Rider is okay for the pun, but if I was translating it I'd just localize it to Kamen/Masked Biker/Cyclist. Change the other half of the name rather than trying to fix the first, since "Rider" isn't going to have the same meaning to English speakers anyway. But that's just me, it's probably not the best choice.

Masked Biker sounds cool

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

a kitten posted:

What? It sounds like Kamen and gets the point across that he's a ordinary common dude who is a hero.

That's not the point. The point is that he's Kamen Rider but he has no license so he can't ride a motorcycle.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Kild posted:

And people "get" Mumen Rider?

Saying one thing is bad is not an automatic endorsement of all alternatives. It is possible for all options to be bad.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's beer foam, supposedly.

(it's poop)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

S class udon eating skills

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

*solemnly stands up*

I like both

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nichijou is legit one of the best and funniest annie mays ever created

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

*boldly stands up*

They are both good

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

If I remember correctly there was more to her name, like how Fubuki is Blizzard of Hell. Maybe it was the Green Tornado? I can't remember.

Either way she wouldn't be unique there, there are some other heroes with one word names.

Senritsu no Tatsumaki, or SpinningThingie of ShiverDownYourSpine

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You think writing is bad wrt not being noticed and "anyone can do it it takes no skill," take a look at translation

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

Sea King is amazingly menacing because of the goofy clown facepaint and heart nipples.

His powered up form is kinda lame looking in comparison. The above wouldn't work nearly as well with a generic fish monster.

Also Saitama's run :3:

Yeah, Sea King staying a dude with heart nipple pasties would have been cool, but the way the anime handles his fishmonster form is fine too imo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Genos has come so far already. Thank god Saitama was around to train that Naruto run garbage out of his system.

Dude probably ran countless computer simulations on Saitama's running form

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The Sandman posted:

The inherent contradiction of being the foremost servant of justice among the heroes while constantly breaking the law by riding without a license is a fatal weakness, though. It strips him of his rightful power.

He actually sticks rigidly to the law. The license being referred to is a motorcycle license.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Instead of talking about how the anime doesn't reach a quality level of God, let's instead talk about things that look even better than the manga. Sonic causing chaos in the streets- the part where Saitama chomped on his sword- was resolved in a more satisfactory way this time since he went cratering into the ground, IMO.

That one kick Genos did in the sparring scene was amazing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I just noticed the little spinning crown :allears:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The one thing I'm sorta disappointed about was the sequence where the Sea King grabs Genos and tosses him into the wall wasn't done like the original. That was such a wonderful scene.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

He did that.

I know, but it wasn't framed like it was in Murata's version, with the fixed background and then the Sea King just being the only thing moving in between the cuts. Gave it this awesome sense of motion.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's at least the argument to be made that Genos could reliably predict he'd survive it, given his robot body. He has shown willing to die for the greater good so it's not like he's selfish at all but getting a free re-do when you get body destroying injuries will give you leeway to sacrifice your body for others more often.

He could survive the acid, but even if he didn't know "this will turn me into literally an armless skeleton" he had to have known that taking the hit would lower his chances of winning, and the Sea King's not the type to say "oh good fight see you next time when you're fixed up."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Licensed Rider

lmao I just noticed he apparently has a firearms license as well. All the licenses.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jimbot posted:

It suffered a lot towards the climax of the Chimera Ant arc where instead of showing stuff they had the narrator describe everything in detail. It was the most frustrated I've been with an anime. It was absolutely terrible.

Not Madhouse's fault. Togashi was experimenting with using a omniscient narrator in that portion of the story, so all that stuff was in the original as well. I guess the problem would be that in the manga you could read it all really fast, while in the anime you had to listen to a dude say it all.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

This is the only time I've wished I had three monitors, so I could slap some black bars on the top and bottom of these and use them as wallpaper.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It is cool that people are discussing this in a mostly civilized manner. Truly OPM fans are the most refined of anime fans :smug:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I posted the same thing on /r/onepunchman with different wording and am currently getting onepunched by angry redditors for it, so I'm not sure if it's OPM fans being good so much as VEGETA being a uniquely not-awful place to talk about anime. :v:

OPM goons then :smugdog:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I am so loving ready for punches guys you don't even know

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The OP in the middle owned because Boros was having the time of his life.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The one thing I wish they'd kept from the manga was the bit with Boros dashing at Saitama so fast the ground was exploding beneath his steps (right after Saitama gets back from the moon), hitting Saitama with a massive flurry of blows, and then Saitama knocks him back with a punch, and this all happens so fast that Boros flies backwards past the ongoing explosions caused by his initial forward spurt. That was cool as hell in Murata's version. They kept the rush and the punch but not that little detail that made it all so much cooler.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

DrManiac posted:

Yeah the serious punch is such a hype moment in the manga (it's the first time we ever see saitama get any kind of serious) so it's kinda lame when it falls flat.

One thing I didn't get when I read the manga is Saitama's serious punch was so strong it reflected boro's beam and that is what killed him.

No, it was so strong it split the beam in two (that's the smaller split in the clouds when you see Earth from space) and killed the poo poo out of Boros, and presumably countless birds as well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Do the one where Saitama punches him into kibbles n' bits and he literally pulls himself together

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Consecutive normal punches :frogbon:

I somehow never noticed that Saitama's lazy rear end punches actually crater the ground all the way down there :vince:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

not that I want to continue this silly derail but I totally want to continue this silly derail

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

If we ask Cinema Discusso I'm pretty sure we'll find out he's fascist and chock full of phallic imagery

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd advise anyone who watched One-Punch Man and said to themselves "My only complaint with this is that there isn't more" to catch up on the manga by Murata, then steel themselves and take the plunge into ONE's original webcomic at their leisure.

WHAT IF I'VE ALREADY DONE THAT

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I swear this gif pops up for every single anime that has a lot of men in the cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Friends, I would like to share this good and cool video with you all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgzoqQBZN2s

• Locked thread