Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jaded Burnout posted:

You're not lying, you're just rounding up. Does anyone even take accurate measurements anyway? 9sqft is barely a cupboard.

Ya, round up for Zillow/Redfin, etc, and just be upfront. If someone asks, tell them it’s 991, and you rounded up to not be excluded by arbitrary internet filters. I’d be totally ok with that answer as a buyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’d take the existing thermostat off the wall and look and see what’s actually in the bundle before you decide that there is or isn’t a C wire. I’ve had my Nest on 3 different systems in three locations, and two of them had crappy thermostats that didn’t use a C wire. Lo and behold, it was tucked up in the wall along with the heater control wire. One of those times (in an apartment) it wasn’t hooked up to the unit on the other end either, but it was already run. All I had to do was screw it into the terminal block.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've got a koi pond that I'm pretty lukewarm on. At this point it's mostly just a wet hole that's a few feet deep. How dumb would it be to try to DIY convert it into an in-ground hot tub? It wouldn't need to be outfitted with all sorts of fancy jets; a literal tub of hot water akin to those wood-fired ones would be acceptable (although I'd use an electric system). I was thinking of doing some sort of stone/concrete mix and then slathering a seal on it.

The existing koi pond is visible in the corner of this photo.

You’re never going to be able to get an in-ground fishpond “hot” with any reasonable amount of energy. Every kilowatt you dump it is going to get dissipated into the ground almost immediately. Better plan would be to rip it out and put in a proper, insulated in-ground hot tub, or pour a pad and place an above-ground pre-fab.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Wonder Weapon posted:

This is surprising, honestly. It never occurred to me how much more insulating air is than concrete and dirt. Huh. Well, were I going to go that route, I'd have to make a point to ensure I'm properly insulating the concrete casing to prevent paying to warm up all the dirt.

The reason I find the in-ground approach appealing is because I've already got the hole, and they look a lot slicker. I was also hoping that doing the hard work of building my own would end up considerably cheaper than paying $5,000+ to fill the hole and then plop down an above-ground prefab.

Those wood-fired ones are appealing in their simplicity, but seem like you'd end up using them rarely, since you've got to get an actual fire going to do it, which in the winter months is going to be a non-starter. That might be a different story if you've got it on your patio, but mine will end up being 40 or 50 feet from the house entrance.

So I kinda misunderstood initially. You can ABSOLUTELY use the hole in the ground as a basis for an in-ground hot tub. Initially I thought you also meant using the existing pond structure, which is a non-starter. :v:

A proper, insulated, in-ground hot tub is a hell of a nice thing to have around, but honestly the cost of the hole itself is a rounding error in that kind of project. Between pumps, heaters, plumbing, controls, etc, you’re in the multiple thousands of dollars range, maybe tens of thousands, depending on how big it is, and how far north you are.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

falz posted:

Whoa genius, going to pull trigger on this guy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HYRPND/

I have two of those from different generic Chinese manufacturers. The optics are trash, but they’re SUPER handy for the money.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Deviant posted:

if you'd like i can send you some of my humidity

stupid florida.

I too was reading all of the humidifier chat with barely-concealed jealousy. It’s 60% in here now. In the winter.

:downsgun:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Option 3 is go through with trash bins and pull all the large poo poo you can see easily, and then dump a couple trucks worth of clean fill on top.

Less work than option 1, but more work and cheaper than option 2.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m always interested in how the rest of the world deals with windows. I get a kick out of wood frames just kinda wedged in there with shims and then mounded over. Here, the things are vinyl-framed laminated glass, installed in concrete walls with hilarious numbers of steel bolts to keep trees and small animals from coming through them during a hurricane.

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Home Zone: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UAHZAM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FWRKT4455DCT1VCNNB8E

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have this exact tester and have not tazed my own balls

It’s $20 to make sure you don’t grab a live conductor when you stick your hands in a box. Everyone who owns a house anywhere should have one, and use it any time they do anything more invasive than flicking a wall switch.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

papa horny michael posted:

Last inspection today, and closing 4 days afterwards. idea of home ownership has me feeling like I'm stepping into an open grave.

One of us. One of us. One of us.

*a tree root audibly pierces a water line as it breaks the surface and wraps around your ankle*

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rdb posted:

I have heard of propane companies calling police if they see you moving a tank around. If you buy one make sure you keep a receipt that clearly proves you own it and the person who sold it owned it and don’t ever transport one with more than a tiny fraction of gas in it. They really go to extreme lengths to make sure your not cutting into anyone else’s business.

My parents have owned their tank since they bought the house (in a very suburban community, not off in the woods) 35+ years ago, and they still go through this every so often.

“No, I own the tank, I’ve always owned the tank, I explained this to the person I registered for service with, please remove your leasing charges from my bill.”

“We own the tank, and we’ll be out to replace it tomorrow.”

“Step on my property again and I’ll start shooting.”

That’s paraphrasing one of the better exchanges I’ve overheard over the years, but it happens every time they change service companies. The propane companies also love to let the tank run low while prices are cheap, and then service all the tanks in their service are when prices spike. They’ve actually emptied their 125gal tank several times because the propane companies won’t come on-demand, and insist that your tank is at an acceptable level, even as your pilot lights are going out. What’s that? Propane went down .15¢ a pound? Must be a complete coincidence.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rdb posted:

I had heard rumors it was this bad, but other than Ferrell Gas, my propane experience has been ok.

The furniture store usually came out 2 days after I called and would give me a .15c a gallon discount for paying within 14 days.

The ag coop is a little bit slower but its a cooperative and they have a fixed markup. Other than signing a waver stating I own the tank they haven’t given me a bit of trouble. They fill an ag diesel tank for me too and are usually $1 a gallon cheaper than the pump.

I feel bad for you guys that gotta deal with crap like that. And I feel like Hank Hill because most of my poo poo runs off propane because its a better choice than electric resistance heating. Last time I checked propane would have to be $7 a gallon to make it more expensive than resistance heating at $0.105 kwh, which is my RECs fixed rate.

Some parts of south Florida actually got utility gas service, notably the old parts of Hollywood. Most of the later (post 1955) developments make do with delivery gas service, but honestly even that is on its way out, being replaced with electric appliances.

Having 125gal of propane on hand to take the only hot showers on the block in the days after a hurricane is pretty nice though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vim Fuego posted:

In my experience it's really common to have to tear down the entire machine to do a repair. I wouldn't let that stop you. It's just kinda the nature of washers and dryers. I'd say talk to your wife, say you want to DIY it, and agree that if it fails you'll get a new set.

Washers and dryers are pretty simple machines, with the exception of the control board that lives behind the control panel. Everything else is refreshingly analog and easy to work on. I do recommend a decent pair of leather gloves for manhandling the casings apart and back together. Deburring sheet metal costs money that white goods manufacturers have to put into the pockets of their shareholders, apparently.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

B-Nasty posted:

You just never know with wallpaper.

Yes you do. You always know that it is going to suck giraffe dick. It’s never easy. It’s always three layers of terrible cheap textured wallpaper laid on top of cheap non-latex paint that make spots that you can NOT get off until you break out the scraper and put a fresh blade on it and gently caress I JUST COMPLETELY DESTROYED THIS ENTIRE WALL WHY DIDNT I JUST TELL THE DRYWALL GUY TO GUT IT PLEASE END ME NOW.

My master bedroom suite looks ok now, but the memories I hold for it are nothing but pain and suffering. I hold putting wallpaper up to be only slightly less criminal than putting up popcorn ceilings.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MilShap posted:

Future PO with a question I’m hoping for any insight on.

1926 home with brick/terracotta foundation, we are being told it needs a new foundation someday sometime somewhere in the future. Full basement, partially finished. Only managed to book one estimate during the inspection period, and still don’t have the hard numbers.

The cost is one thing, but I’m wondering if in the process I have to lose and redo the partially finished area and/or the outdoor deck if excavation is needed?

Does anyone have any experience with having their foundation fully replaced in a home with a full basement already?

Thank you all, any insight is appreciated greatly.

gently caress. That. Noise.

If you can get a full, guaranteed (lol) estimate done before contract negotiations that’s one thing, but I wouldn’t go near that thing with someone else’s bulldozer, let alone put an offer on it. There are easier and more entertaining ways to become bankrupt.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PageMaster posted:

Need some help from bidet experts! Costco has a lower spec's toto c200 for 300 bucks, but is missing the dryer, premist, and deodorizer. Are those essential features worth waiting for stock and paying an extra 200?

That’s a pretty good deal. If you’re installing one for the first time, I don’t think you’re going to miss any of that stuff; Any bidet at all is better than not having one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

El Mero Mero posted:

It's not a fancy robot that plays you a jingle or illuminates your balls, but I got this bidet which hooks up to the hot water line under your sink rather than heating the water and needing electricity. It's pretty much ideal for us.

I have the even cheaper version that just has off/on/nozzle clean, and it’s wonderful.

(My advice is predicated on living in a subtropical hell world where “cold water” departs the tap at 70°+ and is probably not valid for the great white north.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For the record, I’m super jealous of all of you who can actually rearrange their bathroom, and don’t have plumbing that goes directly into the slab.

gently caress Florida, is what I’m saying.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Re: thread title, just woke up to a pretty serious thump in the night. The gumbo limbo tree outside decided to shed a limb onto my roof directly over the master bedroom. Forearm diameter, maybe a bit bigger. Have to wait till daylight to properly evaluate.

gently caress home ownership.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

But look at all those free cinder blocks!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tracecomplete posted:

I like the Mechanix ones. The leather impact ones with the knuckle protection have saved me from loving myself up a few times now, and they are comfortably sized for my pampered computer toucher hands.

I used to have mechanics hands, but now have similarly soft claws. You can get better gloves, but I’m hard pressed to recommend a glove better than Mechanix for the money. I pretty continually have at least three pair around, plus a pair (or two) that I wear for diving/lobstering/lionfishing.

I also have a pair of short but gently caress-off-thick leather gloves for really heavy duty poo poo, handling sheet metal, etc. Mechanix tend to value dexterity and tactile feel over absolute cut protection, which is better for like 95% of jobs, but I hate cutting my hands.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sous Videodrome posted:

Is there a truly effective paint stripping product? Anything that will at least work better than the super remover?

Reason #372 that working with metal is better than working with dead tree carcasses: If in doubt, media blast the poo poo out of it.

:pseudo:

I will say that old school solid wood cabinetry is leaps and bounds better than the modern mdf garbage in most homes now. My parents house still has the original 1950s wood cabinets, and I helped them through a similar process that you’re doing now. Once you get through the tribulations you’re certain to be happy with it, but gently caress stripping cabinets, it loving blows, and there is no way around it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cruft posted:

Hey, since we're talking about toxic chemicals, how do you get rid of Siberian Elm? Undiluted round-up on a just-cut trunk has been insufficient for me.

Is there anyplace online I can mail order napalm?

Garlon. :hb:

Realtalk, the chemical you use is less important than application. You need to get deep into the heartwood, preferably at least 50% of the circumference of the tree trunk. Garlon applied like that will kill it dead as gently caress, no exceptions. Garlon is tough to find, though; I think it’s permit-only in my state, as an example.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Danhenge posted:

I've been wondering what the old rear end decking i can see in the attic is. Tongue and groove seems likely now.

My understanding is that the trade off for durability that you get from slate is that you need to do more constant, small maintenance.

My parents house (built 1954) still has the original barrel-tile roof. Dad gets it cleaned, sealed, and painted once a decade, and it’s still going strong. The real tragedy is whenever they sell the house, the buyer’s insurance company is going to make them strip that roof off and replace it, despite the fact that it’s survived seventy-plus years of summer thunderstorms and hurricanes with no damage. It’s absolutely infuriating.

My asphalt shingle roof (built 1984, replaced ~2004) is probably in the single digit years of remaining life. Modern construction is a wear item.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Queen Victorian posted:

As for the green itself, I'm personally partial to more sagey greens and the sample is a bit more towards the split pea end of the spectrum (which is still nice, don't get me wrong). If you like the idea of green, might be worthwhile to get a few more samples of similar shades and see how they look on the side of your house.

This is my biggest complaint with it. I love darker greens, but that particular shade is giving me flashbacks to late seventies appliance avocado.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MetaJew posted:

My condensate line got plugged up and nearly caused some water damage. My wife said what came out of the line was disturbing. Like a mixture of slime, cat puke, half digested oat meal.... It was bad.

I should clean it more often than every other year.

I use this stuff, definitely keeps me from having to break out the hot water and plumbing snake.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003N5AS60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ND8VB14BRXC3W81Y20E5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

(And I live in a subtropical hellworld with the AC running 11.25 months a year.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

brugroffil posted:

My washer just decided to fail.

What's the best options for basic models these days?

I had a Samsung side-loader have what is apparently it’s characteristic catastrophic drum failure. I asked the repair tech what he’d buy for himself, and without even a hint of contemplation or hesitation, he recommended Whirlpool. And that’s how I ended up with a matched pair of Whirlpool side loaders.

Also holy gently caress appliances are more expensive than they were two years ago.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Deviant posted:

what the hell is a side load washing machine and how is it different than front load

The front is a side, technically.

I’m a doofus is the ultimate answer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Inner Light posted:

Prepare for a sea of Speed Queen zealots

They’re not wrong, either. They’re fantastic machines, but decidedly not the budget option.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Saucer Hovers posted:

what about dishwashers? i think im about to land on bosh. kinda surprised theres no dedicated appliance thread.

I’ve already landed on Bosch’s 800 series, but good luck actually finding one you can buy.

I can’t even get on a waiting list where I live, which kinda breaks my brain. I don’t care how long it takes, just let me get in line.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Got a call from my insurance agent yesterday, my homeowners insurance is going from $5200/yr to $8400/yr. Calling the insurance company, they insist that the increase in premium is due to, and I quote, “inflation.”

Absolutely nothing to do with the state lobbyists that got the insurance companies the law-change to change the age-limit on shingle roofs from twenty to FIFTEEN YEARS. So now to even shop a different rate, I’d have to replace a perfectly sound, functional roof.

Florida can suck my balls. gently caress this stupid state.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cruft posted:

Our oven arrived, finally! It's been in transit for about 12 months. Bosch 800 induction.

:allears:

Just ordered this same model today. Did the dishwasher, range, and microwave. Estimated delivery, April 2022. Probably. Maybe.

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cruft posted:

Ah, that makes complete sense, i wouldn't want a 2.4kW doorbell. I'm glad I took the time to do it right, instead of kludge it, which was my initial urge.

Maybe you wouldn’t. :colbert:

Basically the amplifier scene from Back to The Future, but every time Amazon makes a delivery.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

In other words, it's not the size of the claim that affects your premium; it's that a claim is reported at all, whether or not a single dollar is paid out.

I have heard horror stories about premiums increasing based on reporting a homeowner's claim.

Wish I had known this six months ago. Had a tree branch fall and hit my roof. I dutifully called my insurance company to open a claim just in case there was damage, took pictures, and waited for the rain. A week later, it rained and no damage.

Problem is, sticking my head up caused them to look at my policy and jack my rate almost 40%. Ended up over $8000 a year. I ended up having to reduce coverage to be able to not get completely hosed, and I’m still up more than 20% over what I was paying before. I can’t shop for a new policy because my roof is more than 15 years old, and even if I had a brand new roof, most companies are no longer writing policies in my area anyway. (My current company no longer writes policies in my area.)

gently caress this hell-state, is what I’m trying to say. :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That’s the situation where I found a roomba absolutely excels. It doesn’t replace proper manual vacuuming, but it can drastically cuts down on the number of times you need to do it to stay sane.

…Just don’t set it to automatic and leave the house…

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

amethystbliss posted:

Run free, giant doofus dog.

:3:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pollyanna posted:

This thread is not filling me with confidence in buying my first house :(

You’ve apparently not grasped the purpose of this thread.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya’ll wanna see something horrifying?

Getting a hybrid electric to replace it on Tuesday. Hold together another week there, old girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Strong recommend that ya’ll never have a glass shower door shatter on you if you can help it. What a loving mess.

Also, it took me fifteen minutes just to extricate myself from the shower without further injury. And the replacement is gonna be like $800.

:suicide: